Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeping through safety demo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,670 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

But you don't need a demo to see where the exits are, they are clearly marked. As for the rest of the safety demo, a complete waste of time. Assuming anyone is left alive after the plane hits the water/land/mountain it will then be complete chaos anyway with bodies dead & alive all over the place.

Not the case at all. In the 1996 Ethiopian Airlines crash, a number of the passengers who died survived the initial crash but inflated their life jackets while they were still inside the aircraft, which was rapidly filling with water, and drowned because they couldn't get out as a result.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I'd say he would have done that even if he'd watched the safety demo.

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

Incredibly rare on our native carriers but once or twice ( no more ) in the last 5 years the safety demo will get overlooked usually due to the purser and their mate being caught with extra workload or something like that ( and a short taxiout ) . when the wheels go up you get that feeling of something important being left on the ground.

I was very surprised but there ya go

by no means a normal occurrence - very very rare indeed. And no, I'm not making it up for a giggle or troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

VG31 wrote: »
    The last Aer Lingus flight I was on they didn't even do a safety demo!

I find that quite hard to believe...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Shamrockj wrote: »

Why would he say it then?.

I was on a Ryanair flight going to the UK and the Air Hostess said during an announcement just after boarding that she would come down and 'kill us all if we didn't keep quiet" :eek::eek:
    It wasn't even that noisy.

She was laughing while saying it but it really not what you expect to hear on a plane.
    I believe that she was announcing that lotto tickets would be available during the flight.

Anyway, it could be possible that it could happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

A few others also said they were on flights with no safety demos so it can't be that unheard of.

Why would I make it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭sailing

VG 31, what was the date and flight number?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Turkish Airlines Zach King video................

Zach is gone, replaced by Lego super heroes. Even more annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I do recall once a number of years ago there was no demo as well. Most likely ryanair or aerlingus but I can't remember. I was in a bit of disbelief and mentioned it to my travel partner. I believe it was a quick turn around and a short taxi as well. Only ever happened once to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Get Real

Anyone saying "I could do it myself". Look, we all could, the crew know you've seen it a hundred times, you know you've seen it a hundred times, but it's all a big box ticking and has to be done.

Anyone annoyed that they've been told to take off their headphones etc. Okay, we all know, including the crew, that it could be perceived as annoying or a power trip. But they don't know you from Adam.

Similar to mystery shoppers in retail, the IAA monitors and enforces these laws. People who deliberately wear headphones, ignore it etc. For all the crew know, you could be one of these, and they get a bollocking if they don't do what these rules tell them to do.

Same for airport security. People roll their eyes and have a "I've done it all before" attitude. The staff know this. But the IAA send "mystery shoppers" through, with liquids, or bits of metal etc etc. So for the sake of 5 mins and out of courtesy, save someone a bollocking and get back to your business then after.

Everyone knows it's an inconvenience, but they'll be in bother for not enforcing rules-which can be seen as trivial by some- not you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Same here. Out to Faro last year no safety demo done either. Was waiting for it and was a bit shocked when the cabin crew returned to there seats for takeoff without doing it. In saying that I think Aer Lingus cabin crew are amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Well about half a dozen other people have said they've seen the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

When I get on a bus, train, ferry there's no safety announcement and I can figure my way out by looking for the exits or life boats. So why is a plane any different to a train in a crash?

Should the taxi driver refuse to pull off till they have shown how to open the seat belt and door? Because there's no standardised exit from a car and the risk of being in a non fatal crash in a car is many times more than an aircraft.

Get Real wrote: »

Same for airport security. People roll their eyes and have a "I've done it all before" attitude. The staff know this. But the IAA send "mystery shoppers" through, with liquids, or bits of metal etc etc. So for the sake of 5 mins and out of courtesy, save someone a bollocking and get back to your business then after.

Everyone knows it's an inconvenience, but they'll be in bother for not enforcing rules-which can be seen as trivial by some- not you.

Security shows how complelty useless the safety demo is. We've had the farcical limits for nearly 20 years, there's numerous signs and announcements in the queue. Yet every 3rd person through security still has something not allowed.

I've trained people for years and unless they actually practice the action they don't remember it. And they don't let you crawl up the floor before takeoff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 stormanimal

As someone who has worked as cabin crew for 15 years, not once in the thousands of flights I have operated and hundreds of flight flown as a passenger, including other airlines, has there not been a safety demo.

Some people here question they didn't have a safety demo. I question their situational awareness, maybe you were zoned out or listening to music. It just wouldn't happen, this is a major safety breach.

Even a short taxi or under time pressure, you would still have to do a safety demo and secure the cabin thoroughly. Take off will have to wait until these have been completed.

I've lost count how many times people don't listen to announcements. For example a few weeks ago I encountered a short delay and this was announced clearly, yet some people were questioning later why we there is a delay and that they haven't been informed at all. Happens a lot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

@del2005, safety demos are built on a foundation of cold, hard experience. Too many people died in air crashes because they survived the initial crash and then died of smoke inhalation / effects of fire / trapped behind doors / unable to open escape hatches and so on. It's why airliners have floor path lighting, illuminated exits, drawings on the escape hatch showing you how to operate them, safety cards, over head oxygen, spare oxygen bottles, cabin fire extinguishers, crash axes and even survival rations. They all evolved because people died. As for taxis, you drive in a cab in London and those black cabs have unlocking instructions on the door, with airline type cartoons on them to show you how.As for cars and buses, you are more likely to die in a car crash than in an aircraft. I've been flying since I started in aviation 34 years and I wouldnt dream of not paying attention to the safety briefing.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

As someone who has worked as cabin crew for 15 years, not once in the thousands of flights I have operated and hundreds of flight flown as a passenger, including other airlines, has there not been a safety demo.

Some people here question they didn't have a safety demo. I question their situational awareness, maybe you were zoned out or listening to music. It just wouldn't happen, this is a major safety breach.

Even a short taxi or under time pressure, you would still have to do a safety demo and secure the cabin thoroughly. Take off will have to wait until these have been completed.

I've lost count how many times people don't listen to announcements. For example a few weeks ago I encountered a short delay and this was announced clearly, yet some people were questioning later why we there is a delay and that they haven't been informed at all. Happens a lot!!

I wasn’t going to chime in here but you’re ‘I was cabin crew for 15 years’ got on my wick, I’m 18 years in the game now and have been only many many flights, I had an Aer Lingus flight, CDG-DUB late evening (last flight) May 2018 and there was no demo done on the flight, there was an announcement made to take note of the emergency exits nearest to you and to read the safety card in the seat back in front of you, after that the No1 went down the cabin, did his checks and gave the flight deck cabin secured and we took off. I’ve no reason to lie about it, It happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

And I've been regular pax for work since 1992 . It happened. It is incredibly rare - as I said. But I wasnt making it up.

Cabin crew seats for departure, I remember asking the person next to me 'did they do the safety demo- no' and we were off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

You appear to be of the mistaken belief that an aircraft can’t take off without a safety demo. I assure you that it can. All it takes is a drop of fuel and a couple of pilots.

Whether it should or not is another debate but no amount of questioning my situational awareness will convince me that a safety demo happened when I know for certain that it didn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Stovepipe wrote: »
    @del2005, safety demos are built on a foundation of cold, hard experience. Too many people died in air crashes because they survived the initial crash and then died of smoke inhalation / effects of fire / trapped behind doors / unable to open escape hatches and so on. It's why airliners have floor path lighting, illuminated exits, drawings on the escape hatch showing you how to operate them, safety cards, over head oxygen, spare oxygen bottles, cabin fire extinguishers, crash axes and even survival rations. They all evolved because people died. As for taxis, you drive in a cab in London and those black cabs have unlocking instructions on the door, with airline type cartoons on them to show you how.As for cars and buses, you are more likely to die in a car crash than in an aircraft. I've been flying since I started in aviation 34 years and I wouldnt dream of not paying attention to the safety briefing.

regards
    Stovepipe

So why aren't they done on trains or boats? Both have similar safety issues when crashed.

So one city, in their standardised vehicle, has instructions. Do the mini cabs and Uber have instructions in London? Because they aren't standardised so will be dangerous in a crash.

That's my point you are far more likely to be in a crash in a car but there's no mandatory instructions to exit the vehicle, yet the safest transportation does. Why don't buses have these safety items that planes do? Because way more people will survive bus crashes annually than plane crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

john boye wrote: »
    Sometimes I look at CC half-heartedly demonstrating how to put on the life jacket and realise I wouldn't have a bull's notion how to put it on if something happened.

The life jacket is arguably useless. Hudson aside what percentage of airliner accidents include a successful ditching? Its like 1% of a 1:1 Million event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Can any of the commercial pilots on the forum answer:

Is it SOP at your operator to verbally recite the actions to be taken in the event of an engine out on the roll or shortly after take off?

I’m not a pilot but I am of the understanding that it is SOP at some operators, not sure if it’s industry standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Del2005 wrote: »
    the risk of being in a non fatal crash in a car is many times more than an aircraft

This is the case BECAUSE the aviation industry has applied procedures that would be considered unduly onorous in other industries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I have taken hundreds of flights and I am one who always pays attention to the demos. Exits and life jacket location are the most important parts to note for me. If one doesn't happen it is an unusual and noteworthy event. Hence that one time it happened I noticed.

Lots of things are mandatory in aviation. There are incident/accident reports where crew have not followed procedure. So just to blanket state that this could not possibly happen is quite arrogant and that attitude can lead to unsafe situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

#ibelievethenosafetydemodudes

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Del2005 wrote: »
    So why aren't they done on trains or boats? Both have similar safety issues when crashed.

Ive been on a couple of boats in the US (river cruise, tour boat stuff) and before departure we got a brief spiel on "lifejackets are here, here and here. Always hold the rail, dont lean over the edge. Follow the instructions of the crew"
    That was a safety brief in my view.

Historically the airline safety brief started as passengers were unfamiliar with what are now well known seat belts. Pointing out exits is important as many passenger flew so infequently and on various types.
    At this point in developed nations ppl are familiar with the layout of the B737,A320, B777, B747 etc and know how the seatbelt and dropdown nasks work.
    But any effort to reduce the safety demo could be seen as making things 'less safe'.

As for no demo. Well remembering my time doing it I am shocked at it being skipped but I cant say it couldnt happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Seemingly studies have shown that in an emergency evacuation from an aircraft, some passengers try to tug the seatbelt apart instead of lifting the latch and releasing it properly. I suppose this is a panic reaction, even though we think we all might know the drill having watched the safety briefing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

faoiarvok wrote: »
    Can any of the commercial pilots on the forum answer:

Is it SOP at your operator to verbally recite the actions to be taken in the event of an engine out on the roll or shortly after take off?

I’m not a pilot but I am of the understanding that it is SOP at some operators, not sure if it’s industry standard?

Usually, it's of the "in the event of an emergency after take off, we will do the following..." kind and one pilot briefs the other so that they both know what to do; what runway is in use, where's the high ground, turn left or right if you get an engine failure and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

To all these people who think they know it all and could do the demo in their sleep, remember that on every flight there are probably some first-time passengers who will never have seen this before. I've made my kids pay particular attention to the demo since they've become old enough to appreciate the significance of it. They always know where their nearest safety exit is, at a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I recall many years ago when I had some connections in the aviation industry, I was getting a jump-seat on the flightdeck of a BAE 1-11 on a short trip from Ireland to Heathrow. When I entered the flightdeck, the captain gave me the full drill for evacuation in the event of ditching, and I was very impressed at his professionalism and thoroughness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Interesting comparasion in regard of the Cruise safety announcement.
    I recall when travelling with the Norwegian cruise company Hurtigruen in 2003, when a safety announcement turned into a very real drill.
    Passengers been assembled by staff at their actual Muster Stations, then getting into Survival Suits and Life Jackets, whilst Life Boats were been activated for use. This was all under the strict supervision of the Ship's Staff and I mean strict! It was quite a sobering experience.

Advertisement