Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeping through safety demo

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭LeakRate

ED E wrote: »
    The life jacket is arguably useless. Hudson aside what percentage of airliner accidents include a successful ditching? Its like 1% of a 1:1 Million event.

Even in the US Air Hudson ditching, just look at all the pax on the wing, not a life jacket in sight, im sure 80% of people on that wing were regular flyers. This is why its important for a safety demo each time, if that 320 had of dropped below water before boats had arrived, there would have been fatalities.

120323095255-hudson-miracle-us-airways-flight-1549-large-169.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Usually, it's of the "in the event of an emergency after take off, we will do the following..." kind and one pilot briefs the other so that they both know what to do; what runway is in use, where's the high ground, turn left or right if you get an engine failure and so on.

Thanks. Of course it would contain information specific to that day and location, the point I was trying to get at was that the pilots should be well aware of what to do, but brief it anyway in order to have it in front of mind for the next few minutes, the most critical phase of flight until the landing phase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

LeakRate wrote: »
    Even in the US Air Hudson ditching, just look at all the pax on the wing, not a life jacket in sight, im sure 80% of people on that wing were regular flyers. This is why its important for a safety demo each time, if that 320 had of dropped below water before boats had arrived, there would have been fatalities.

US airliners on internal flights within the contiguous 48 states often don't have life jackets. "Your seat cushion can be used as a floatation device."

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭LeakRate

US airliners on internal flights within the contiguous 48 states often don't have life jackets. "Your seat cushion can be used as a floatation device."

Life vests were fitted on this aircraft, only 10 passengers of the 150 used them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

LeakRate wrote: »

Aren't you actually proving yourself wrong. The passengers would have been given the safety briefing and like you say they were probably mostly frequent flyers. YET as you say no life jacket in site! So obviously the safety briefing didn't have the desired effect as passengers still didn't take their life jackets out. So you could make a better argument that the briefings are more or less pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

In my experience, pax have stolen lifejackets, seat belts and baby belts as souvenirs or "Oh, sorry, I thought we could keep them!", so they know exactly where they are stowed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Beersmith wrote: »
    Aren't you actually proving yourself wrong. The passengers would have been given the safety briefing and like you say they were probably mostly frequent flyers. YET as you say no life jacket in site! So obviously the safety briefing didn't have the desired effect as passengers still didn't take their life jackets out. So you could make a better argument that the briefings are more or less pointless.

But that’s not the fault of the briefing, it’s the fault of the passengers who don’t pay attention and think they know better.
    Some studies show 50% of prescribed medications are not taken as directed or the course not finished. So if so many people aren’t paying heed to their prescription labels, sure why bother with them? Just give people blank containers of pills and away with them, the instructions are more or less pointless by that reasoning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Locker10a wrote: »
    But that’s not the fault of the briefing, it’s the fault of the passengers who don’t pay attention and think they know better.
    Some studies show 50% of prescribed medications are not taken as directed or the course not finished. So if so many people aren’t paying heed to their prescription labels, sure why bother with them? Just give people blank containers of pills and away with them, the instructions are more or less pointless by that reasoning

Yeah and if closer to 100% didn't follow those instructions it would also be pointless.

I don't think they are pointless but your argument for supporting their ineffectiveness. Yes they would be more effective IF people did pay more attention etc but in real life they don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Locker10a wrote: »

Are you not supposed to wait to be instructed to remove the life jacket from under the sea and then put it on? In this case maybe passengers were not told to do so.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

And have a time machine (November 2017 post)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

The Hudson crew didn't instruct pax to don the life vests, and said afterwards that there wasn't really time to do it.

Only this week I've flown and heard passengers complaining about cabin crew instructing them to open window blinds before landing. The majority of the travelling public don't know that the blinds are open so passengers are aware of the situation outside and so that emergency crews can see into the cabin.

No doubt hearing the precedent and reasons behind each seemingly pointless instruction would be unsettling for most passengers. But for each cabin safety feature and safety demo instruction, there's a case study where the industry learned the hard way.

The next thing will be specific instructions to leave everything behind if there's an evacuation. I've only heard that on some carriers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Yup. There are 2 straps under the seat cushion to allow them to hold it on their chest to keep afloat.
    Very much a US thing I believe. Open to correction on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Yup. There are 2 straps under the seat cushion to allow them to hold it on their chest to keep afloat.
    Very much a US thing I believe. Open to correction on that.
    It's an overwater thing, in the USA they define overwater as 50 nms from land, so unless an aircraft flies further than that all they need is a flotation device rather than a life jacket.

By the time i usually get onboard passenger aircraft, I'm usually so tired that I'm asleep before the safety demonstration. But I will have checked where the emergency exits are location and counted the number of rows that i would have to crawl past.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

Get Real wrote: »
    Anyone saying "I could do it myself". Look, we all could, the crew know you've seen it a hundred times, you know you've seen it a hundred times, but it's all a big box ticking and has to be done.

Anyone annoyed that they've been told to take off their headphones etc. Okay, we all know, including the crew, that it could be perceived as annoying or a power trip. But they don't know you from Adam.

Similar to mystery shoppers in retail, the IAA monitors and enforces these laws. People who deliberately wear headphones, ignore it etc. For all the crew know, you could be one of these, and they get a bollocking if they don't do what these rules tell them to do.

Same for airport security. People roll their eyes and have a "I've done it all before" attitude. The staff know this. But the IAA send "mystery shoppers" through, with liquids, or bits of metal etc etc. So for the sake of 5 mins and out of courtesy, save someone a bollocking and get back to your business then after.

Everyone knows it's an inconvenience, but they'll be in bother for not enforcing rules-which can be seen as trivial by some- not you.

Very well said.

To sum it up in a few less words.... "don't be a prick".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

Brennus335 wrote: »
    Very well said.

To sum it up in a few less words...."don't be a prick".

Good advice for the staff, too.

If I'm going to have to give-up some of my time, unrewarded, to make the crew's job easier then I expect them to show some courtesy and empathy in return. Not snapping commands and then hiding in the galley, gossiping.

arubex wrote: »

If I'm going to have to give-up some of my time, unrewarded, to make the crew's job easier then I expect them to show some courtesy and empathy in return. Not snapping commands and then hiding in the galley, gossiping.

You’re not giving up your time to reward the crew or make their job easier, it’s for your own safety, and they are doing the demo because they have to. They are not doing it because they personally want to, it’s their job and its regulation, they must do it. And you’re not giving up your time because whether you pay attention or not you’re still going to be sitting on the plane. The two minutes it takes will pass wheather your looking out the window or looking at the crew, The point here is it’s disrespectful when people talk over the demo, blatantly ignore it with headphones, or stand up and retrieve items from their luggage in the middle of the demo. That’s ignorant, it’s just a little courtesy to look up for two minutes or at least remove your headphones as instructed. You make it sound as if you’re massively doing the crew huge favour and they owe you something, you’re not, you are doing as the regulations state. Period. And you agreed to them when you booked your ticket. Period.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Stovepipe wrote: »
    In my experience, pax have stolen lifejackets, seat belts and baby belts as souvenirs or "Oh, sorry, I thought we could keep them!", so they know exactly where they are stowed.

Ryanair's recorded safety briefing says the jacket is under your seat when in fact it's up above in the overhead trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Get over yourself. Giving up your time, unrewarded... With an attitude like that I'd say it's no wonder some crew need to snap commands as it looks like you're one of those passengers the other 135 hate.

Ryanair's recorded safety briefing says the jacket is under your seat when in fact it's up above in the overhead trim.

Any Ryanair flight I’ve been on mentions in the demo your life jacket is under your seat or located in the panel above your head. At the end of the automated demo the senior usual announces “on this aircraft your life jacket is located in xxxx”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

What an idiotic post.

The problem with the likes of you is that you might impede others in the event of an emergency because you'll do something stupid like inflating your life jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Beersmith wrote: »
    I do recall once a number of years ago there was no demo as well. Most likely ryanair or aerlingus but I can't remember. I was in a bit of disbelief and mentioned it to my travel partner. I believe it was a quick turn around and a short taxi as well. Only ever happened once to me.

I was on an Aer Lingus commuter flight from Galway to Dublin about 20 years ago. The aircraft was taxiing out to the runway and the hostess started the safety drill. She had only gotten a third way through when the aircraft turned onto the runway, immediately accelerated and took off. She quickly strapped herself in, and resumed the drill afterwards.
    She never explained the reason, but I suppose it's possible that when they turned onto the runway, they may have been ordered to take off immediately due to an impending incoming flight.

Advertisement