Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Seems a bit obvious to say that you would rather have the joy of winning than the pain of losing, especially if it is a final. As much as I would rather win a trophy than lose one in a final, the benefits around reaching the final of the CL vs winning the FA Cup unfortunately means if we had to choose one I would choose CL everytime as it would mean attracting better players due to prestige and more money. The benefits around your participation in the CL and a successful run in the competition far outweighs the win of the FA Cup.

As for the FA Cup, when the European Cup changed to the Champions League and had teams not winning their league participate was the day that the FA Cup started to lose its significance. It is a little ironic that one of the consequences of the CL becoming more important is that the same teams that attach lesser value to the FA Cup it actually became more successful at it. This is as a consequence of the money that is to be made in the CL rather than attaching more importance to the FA Cup. Teams in the top 6 are better equipped to beat the lesser teams, even with weakened teams so you see more of the same winners even as they don't really care for the FA Cup.

If Chelsea or Man City or Tottenham had lost this weekend they would have been able top concentrate on the league. Seeing that they all progressed and they also have to play in the League Cup semi's as well is a benefit to us. Alan Shearer was of the opinion that our tilt for the league would not be enhanced by losing last night. We have an injury crises in our defence and Shearer somehow thinks playing extra games is a good thing.

The response of some to the FA Cup is to try and enhance the prestige of the tournament. It has nothing to do with the realities of football but more to do with their employer having the rights to the games that is losing its shine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Fixtures as they stand Liverpool / Man City

Liverpool
    Date Team TV
    3rd Jan Man City (a) Sky Sports
    7th Jan Wolves (a) BBC
    12th Jan Brighton (a)
    19th Jan Palace
    30th Jan Leicester BT Sport
    4th Feb West Ham (a) Sky Sports
    9th Feb Bournemouth
    19th Feb Bayern München (GER) BT Sports
    24th Feb Man Utd (a) Sky Sports
    27th Feb Watford
    2nd Mar Everton (a)
    9th Mar Burnley
    13th Mar Bayern München (GER) (a) BT Sports
    16th Mar Fulham (a)
    30th Mar Spurs
    6th Apr Southampton (a)
    9th Apr UCL QF 1st Leg BT Sports
    14th Apr Chelsea
    16th Apr UCL QF 2nd Leg BT Sports
    20th Apr Cardiff (a)
    27th Apr Huddersfield
    30th Apr UCL SF 1st Leg BT Sports
    4th May Newcastle (a)
    7th May UCL SF 2nd Leg BT Sports
    12th May Wolves
    1st June UCL Final BT Sports

Man City
    Date Team
    3rd Jan Liverpool
    7th Jan Rotherham United
    9th Jan Burton Albion
    14th Jan Wolves
    20th Jan Huddersfield (a)
    23rd Jan Burton Albion (a)
    26th Jan Burnley
    29th Jan Newcastle (a)
    3rd Feb Arsenal
    10th Feb Chelsea
    16th Feb FA CUP 5th Round
    20th Feb Shalke 04 (GER) (a)
    22/23th Feb Everton (a)/EFL Cup Final
    27th Feb West Ham
    2nd Mar Bournemouth (a)
    9th Mar Watford
    13th Mar Shalke 04 (GER)
    16th Mar Man Utd (a)/FA CUP QF
    30th Mar Fulham (a)
    6th Apr Cardiff/FA Cup Semi Final
    9th Apr UCL QF 1st Leg
    14th Apr Palace (a)
    16th Apr UCL QF 2nd Leg
    20th Apr Spurs
    27th Apr Burnley (a)
    30th Apr UCL SF 1st Leg
    4th May Leicester
    7th May UCL SF 2nd Leg
    12th May Brighton (a)
    18th May FA CUP Final
    1st June UCL Final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    An excellent addition, but our enemies have never shied away from hypocrisy. :)

It's strange altogether as Klopp has done what they eventually hung Jose for not doing; build a team with a sustainable base on and off the pitch.

Something tells me they'd be creaming themselves right now if things had worked out differently in the management merry go round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

My utd buddies are back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I agree with Lloyd that ultimately what you want for the club is to be consistently challenging at the top level - CL and PL.

Winning cups would be really nice but they're not really a barometer of where the club is goin in the medium-long term and shouldn't be used as a yardstick to measure the manager's performance - look at Mourinho at United, he won a couple of tier 2 cups which felt nice in the moment I'm sure, but gave the false impression to United fans that they were making progress and that Mourinho was the right man. They have arguably been set back a couple of years as a result as these cups (which can often involve turning up in just one or two big matches, or just consistently beating much smaller teams you would be expected to as in the case of the Europa win) put a deceptive gloss on what was overall a project not working.

Likewise, while Klopp has not won a trophy yet, he has taken us from a team not even considered in Europe to one of the top 5 or 6 most feared European teams.

Ask yourself - what are your golden memories of the last 10-15 years as a Liverpool fan?

Was it Dalglish winning the Carling Cup on penalties against Cardiff?

Or was it when we were one of the top teams in Europe under Rafa, in the last 8, last 4 or final of the top club competition? Or when we came so close under Rodgers to winning the league?

For me it's an easy answer, and when we gather in here in the summer, clamouring for signings, it's always with the vision of building a team that can challenge for the league and CL. This is why top 4 has been so important and such a focus and seen as most important than tier 2 cups - because it gives the platform to become one of the elite clubs and challenge for the trophies that really matter. It's incredibly rare to go from outside the top 4 to suddenly challenging for a league (and of course by default you can't challenge for the CL).

So tier 2 trophies are great fun in the short term but we shouldn't sacrifice our hard-won, renewed status as an elite team and a shot at the two trophies we all truly crave for the chance at one of these trophies.

Added to this is the crude financial aspect already laid out by other posters - but finances are what funds player purchases and further strengthens the platform to compete at the top level.

Klopp was 100% right in his team selection yesterday due to all the above. I would not have been happy to see a full strength team. Wolves away was always going to be tough with such a team. Wolves A are better than Liverpool B, no great shame in that - therefore they won and we're out. So be it. Not happy about it, would be great to still be in and give fringe and young players more chances in the next round and have a chance to win a trophy because that's a great feeling, but you can't have it all, and we are being spoiled this year as Liverpool fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Lol

I have to laugh at Fred the red thanking shamrocks post you were replying to about Keita but him not thanking yours after you finished up your post about how poor that donkey has been at united since coming from Shaktar. Must be killing him :D

The real question is whether he'll persevere with his current screen name for much longer. Utd gave up on the player himself a lot quicker! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Fixtures as they stand Liverpool / Man City

Liverpool
    Date Team TV
    3rd Jan Man City (a) Sky Sports
    7th Jan Wolves (a) BBC
    12th Jan Brighton (a)
    19th Jan Palace
    30th Jan Leicester BT Sport
    4th Feb West Ham (a) Sky Sports
    9th Feb Bournemouth
    19th Feb Bayern München (GER) BT Sports
    24th Feb Man Utd (a) Sky Sports
    27th Feb Watford
    2nd Mar Everton (a)
    9th Mar Burnley
    13th Mar Bayern München (GER) (a) BT Sports
    16th Mar Fulham (a)
    30th Mar Spurs
    6th Apr Southampton (a)
    9th Apr UCL QF 1st Leg BT Sports
    14th Apr Chelsea
    16th Apr UCL QF 2nd Leg BT Sports
    20th Apr Cardiff (a)
    27th Apr Huddersfield
    30th Apr UCL SF 1st Leg BT Sports
    4th May Newcastle (a)
    7th May UCL SF 2nd Leg BT Sports
    12th May Wolves
    1st June UCL Final BT Sports

Man City
    Date Team
    3rd Jan Liverpool
    7th Jan Rotherham United
    9th Jan Burton Albion
    14th Jan Wolves
    20th Jan Huddersfield (a)
    23rd Jan Burton Albion (a)
    26th Jan Burnley
    29th Jan Newcastle (a)
    3rd Feb Arsenal
    10th Feb Chelsea
    16th Feb FA CUP 5th Round
    20th Feb Shalke 04 (GER) (a)
    22/23th Feb Everton (a)/EFL Cup Final
    27th Feb West Ham
    2nd Mar Bournemouth (a)
    9th Mar Watford
    13th Mar Shalke 04 (GER)
    16th Mar Man Utd (a)/FA CUP QF
    30th Mar Fulham (a)
    6th Apr Cardiff/FA Cup Semi Final
    9th Apr UCL QF 1st Leg
    14th Apr Palace (a)
    16th Apr UCL QF 2nd Leg
    20th Apr Spurs
    27th Apr Burnley (a)
    30th Apr UCL SF 1st Leg
    4th May Leicester
    7th May UCL SF 2nd Leg
    12th May Brighton (a)
    18th May FA CUP Final
    1st June UCL Final

February looks quite tricky for Man City - Arsenal, Chelsea, FA Cup 5th round, Schalke, Everton/League Cup final, West Ham. 6 games in a short space of time including 2 of the top 6. If they reach the FA Cup 5th round and the League Cup final, there could be two more tricky games added in.

Other than that, it seems quite spaced out for both sides. The 5-day gap from the Bayern 2nd leg to the United game is about as good as you can hope for when playing those types of games. Any potential quarter-final sandwiching a tie against Chelsea is less than ideal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You're entitled to your opinion - it's a minority one.

I'm not sure it is, I've never met or spoken to a Liverpool fan who'd rather lose a cl final then win any other final, in fact I think the majority if asked at the start of the season would you rather get to a cl final and lose or win the lge Cup or fa Cup would go for the cup win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I'm not sure it is, I've never met or spoken to a Liverpool fan who'd rather lose a cl final then win any other final, in fact I think the majority if asked at the start of the season would you rather get to a cl final and lose or win the lge Cup or fa Cup would go for the cup win

I get the sentiment and I think your right if we where an established Champions league club but we are not ,
    Id think getting to the Champions league final this season would benefit the club more than winning the Fa Cup , It would show everyone in Europe that we a re a serious outfit , and attract sponsorships and better players ,

But as I said once we have re-established as a proper champion leafage club you'd take the FA cup rather then a final loss,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

The trophy argument will be null & void if Klopp does somehow manage to get us across the line in the league. The Champions League final defeat has taken greater significance since with all this talk of no trophies etc. The sooner the monkey is off the back the better.

It is interesting I heard VVD mention after a recent game that they were hungry for trophies and want to bring some back to Anfield. I was glad to hear that this is a driving force within the squad

• Advertisement

The strife of losing a CL final is a painful one - the day after the CL final last year was probably lowest I've felt as a fan in a very long time. However that's only because I know how much that competition means around the world. It really is the pinnacle in a lot of ways and I wouldn't swap the excitement of getting to the final (even if it's a loss) with anything other than winning the league.

Those two legs against City and yes even the heartache of that final will live far longer in my memory than any FA cup or league cup win.

ohh win the league and everything is forgotten ,

Its nearly 30 years which is mental which ever manger brings us the next title will be remembered forever and everything they done bad will be forgotten ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Is it just me or is Keita been played too far forward atm? I thought he should have been occupying the space Milner was in last night. I love Milner but he is not the man to be taking the ball from a Centre-Half. Keita on the half-turn would have been much better in the first half when we badly needed some kind of platform

Not aimed at you mate but it’s Mad the way people go out of their way to make excuses for Keita then go out of their way to find fault with Henderson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Not aimed at you mate but it’s Mad the way people go out of their way to make excuses for Keita then go out of their way to find fault with Henderson

Im not making excuses for him I just think he is being deployed in the wrong position. The same cannot be said for Henderson though

Im not making excuses for him I just think he is being deployed in the wrong position. The same cannot be said for Henderson though

He played across the midfield and been poor in every positon,
    Its obvious he does have talent but he can't seem to put it together for a whole 90 minutes, Westham at home he was great and Spurs & Burnley away but since then he seems to lack concentration ,

At times he seems to shift responsibility like he is playing within himself, Possibly he is afraid of making mistakes and thinking to much, In the game against Burnley he was great and took the game by the scruff,

In other games its like he is afraid to be the main man or afraid to offend a team mate by not always using the easy option , Basically confidence to play his natural game isn't there ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I think your in depth post was spot on Lloyd - just one thing I'd add is that it's ironic that United fans will bang on about Klopp's lack of trophies yet their only recently former manager won them two cups in 3 years; something they ultimately dismissed as not relevant at all in possibly saving him.

Your wrong Bob.

I think you will find most United fans including myself said the reason Jose should be given a 3rd year was because he had proven he could win trophies at United!!!

So donno where your getting the United fans dismissed trophies as not relevant. Maybe one or two might but ultimately majority were behind giving him chance because he won them.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

February looks quite tricky for Man City - Arsenal, Chelsea, FA Cup 5th round, Schalke, Everton/League Cup final, West Ham. 6 games in a short space of time including 2 of the top 6. If they reach the FA Cup 5th round and the League Cup final, there could be two more tricky games added in.

Other than that, it seems quite spaced out for both sides. The 5-day gap from the Bayern 2nd leg to the United game is about as good as you can hope for when playing those types of games. Any potential quarter-final sandwiching a tie against Chelsea is less than ideal though.

City play UTD on FA Cup QF weekend - if both are still in it the game will be pushed back to near end of season ... Utd could win the league for Liverpool or let City win it in their own back yard ... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I'm not buying that with Keita. Milner was holding last night, so Keita was doing Wijnaldum's job box to box and protecting the wings. He created almost nothing, including blowing a chance to put Moreno in for a clear shot by delaying the pass until he was offside. He's not on the same wavelength, and overplaying at the wrong times.
    He won't get a chance to fix that this season IMO, he's rightly 5/6th choice, although it Fab has to play CB that improves his chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Those two legs against City and yes even the heartache of that final will live far longer in my memory than any FA cup or league cup win.

How could you forget this ?

h_00622150.jpg

If you consider the money involved the alleged majority would be off their tree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The question about winning an FA cup vs losing a CL final is a stupid question any way you frame it.
    It's kinda like asking would you a rather a pretty girl wave at you or have your loving wife who you've built a life with drop a knife on your foot. It's not comparing the wave with knifing your foot. It's comparing a trifle with a stable position of fulfillment and a basis on which to progress your life.

It has no bearing on the reality of our situation. I'd rather get to a CL final, or push towards doing that. I'd rather punt the FA cup in the 3rd round then risk progression in the CL, or winning the PL. That's what our actual situation is, and the calculus that Klopp has to perform.

That calculus shifts depending where you are in the league and your opponents in any given match. If you've gotten a kind draw and find yourself in the semi's, and you've a home game against Cardiff the week after it, then maybe your priorities shift a little bit. There's no vague hypothetical that accurately captures the problem.

Henderson isn't a true #6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

A big bump back to reality is coming for United this weekend. Giving it large after beating Cardiff,Bournemouth, Huddersfield and Newcastle.

rob316 wrote: »
    A big bump back to reality is coming for United this weekend. Giving it large after beating Cardiff,Bournemouth, Huddersfield and Newcastle.

Doubt anyone giving it large Rob? Really??? Say we are content and pleased with recent games but far from giving it large.

Dickerty wrote: »
    I'm not buying that with Keita. Milner was holding last night, so Keita was doing Wijnaldum's job box to box and protecting the wings. He created almost nothing, including blowing a chance to put Moreno in for a clear shot by delaying the pass until he was offside. He's not on the same wavelength, and overplaying at the wrong times.
    He won't get a chance to fix that this season IMO, he's rightly 5/6th choice, although it Fab has to play CB that improves his chances.

I'm not an expert on Keita when he was at Leipzig but just from watching him I do get the feeling that he's not playing in his best position. There seemed to be a lot of space between Milner and Keita for the most of the game and it really hurt us.

As you say box to box but he seemed to spend more time aimlessly up the pitch than coming back to collect the ball and push on attacks.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I thought I'd dip in with my thoughts from last night.
    Firstly, I'm not happy that we were knocked out and I don't think that we willingly wanted to be beaten.
    But, there were probably too many changes in the team....well maybe not, but the injury to Lovren certainly made it look that way.
    Milner had to turn into a chaperone for the Heover lad. We played across the back for a while to ease him into the game also.
    Heover looks a prospect, a few wayward passes, maybe trying difficult passes too early in his career, should have been a little more simple in his approach.
    Camacho also looks decent.
    Jones hadn't the greatest game, looked like he was afraid to take the ball forward. Moreno behind him didn't help either.

Keita had some sharp moments, but ultimately looked jacked after 60ish minutes. Give him 2 or 3 games in a row is what I say.

Origi is lazy. He chases down defenders with the ball, but gives no attempt to win the ball from them. He runs down blind alleys and mistimes jumps all the time. I think that this is probably his bit of protest against being played as a target man.

Sturridge tried his best, but he lacked the speed and mobility to get around enough.

Overall, the team we played were not sharp enough and only looked more weak after Lovren went off.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Doubt anyone giving it large Rob? Really??? Say we are content and pleased with recent games but far from giving it large.

Not all United fans are levelled headed like yourself,

I gotta say the worst thing that could happen to you lot is what happened to us with Kenny,

Temp manger who knows the club and loved by the fans comes in players get that feel good factor and a bounce,

You beat the poor teams because they new manger is letting them play the "Liverpool /United way " you lose some games against good side's because " the damage was done by previous manger "

Temp manger now gets given job full time, The bounce and honeymoon period is over you quickly realise why they where not managing anyone else and your back to square one half way through the next season looking for another manger,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Heover will be hitting his peak as a CB around the 2030/2031 season.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

..when he is 22 :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

God I'm old...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Please let this be Moreno's last ever Liverpool game.

Already regretting the Clyne decision.

depends, if Man City reach the EFL Cup final which they should they will have to find time to fit in the Everton game.

Reach the QF of the FA Cup and have to then find somewhere to squeeze in the Utd game, Semi-Final means they will then have to squeeze in another game so their schedule will get tighter the further they go in the cup

Since Toby came back that's two defeats in a row.

I know who I am blaming if we don't win the league.

I'm blaming Turtyturd.

And he'll blame Sturridge.

And Sturridge will blame Jesus.

So I'm blaming Mary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Not all but some

Oh just a little difference here

Henderson 7 years at Liverpool
    Keita 7 months in England

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

ohh win the league and everything is forgotten ,

Its nearly 30 years which is mental which ever manger brings us the next title will be remembered forever and everything they done bad will be forgotten ,

True. IF, IF, IF we win the league in May, there won't be a lot of non-Pool fans saying "yeah, but ye lost in the FA Cup 3rd round!". Sure didn't we lose away to Burnley in the 3rd round in 2005 - I remember a lot of slagging about that, not so much at the end of the season though. Likewise if we had beaten Wolves and made it all the way to the final and won, picked up a couple of key injuries along the way and have fatigued players, if that was to cost us the league the neutrals will be all saying how Klopp blew it and "30 years and counting" and all that guff.

No doubt it puts a little more pressure on Klopp to win the league but I also have no doubt that the lads slagging him off secretly know exactly what he's trying to do and would agree with the approach if their club was in a similar situation.

Maybe City can compete on 3 (or even 4!) fronts given their huge squad. Liverpool are not at their level so Klopp has to play it smart. Going out of the 2 domestic cups early has maximised the potential for Klopp to win one of the bigger trophies this season, and of the 2 clearly the main focus is the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Your wrong Bob.

I think you will find most United fans including myself said the reason Jose should be given a 3rd year was because he had proven he could win trophies at United!!!

So donno where your getting the United fans dismissed trophies as not relevant. Maybe one or two might but ultimately majority were behind giving him chance because he won them.

I don't buy that. There was no threat of the sack for Mourinho after the last season (17-18), unless you are saying that a manager that finished 6th and then 2nd in the league is under threat to lose his job and the only reason he kept it is because of winning 2 trophies the season before that.

Seems that this is nothing more than Utd fans trying to find something to try and rile up Liverpool fans but their hypocrisy is being shown.:)

Not all United fans are levelled headed like yourself,

I gotta say the worst thing that could happen to you lot is what happened to us with Kenny,

Temp manger who knows the club and loved by the fans comes in players get that feel good factor and a bounce,

You beat the poor teams because they new manger is letting them play the "Liverpool /United way " you lose some games against good side's because " the damage was done by previous manger "

Temp manger now gets given job full time, The bounce and honeymoon period is over you quickly realise why they where not managing anyone else and your back to square one half way through the next season looking for another manger,

There is two sides to this and not going to drag this thread off topic so I'll try focus on Liverpool.

The Liverpool fans were calling for Kenny to be brought back as manager when Roy hodgson was still in charge.

But say for example the board had not of stuck with Kenny that summer say if they had brought in Rodgers then after Kenny wining league cup and turning clubs fortunes around but Rodgers comes in and wants to change things again and if it looked like anything but a slow start the new manager would be dealing with the ghosts of Kenny over his shoulder who should never of been sacked.

For United it's always going to be a risk no matter who the next manager is if ole earns it by achieving something good in secobd half of season then he deserves it. If he fuks it up the fans will know he will of done it doing his best with no hidden agenda.

My own opinion is he will keep things ticking over but will still miss out on top four and come up short in cups.

rob316 wrote: »
    Not all but some

Of course some but sure same every fan base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Generally new signings and young players get more leeway than literally the longest serving player at the club who is also the captain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Pepe has signed for Porto. I know he's pushing on but I would've taken him as this season's Steven Caulkner given our defensive worries.

Enzokk wrote: »
    I don't buy that. There was no threat of the sack for Mourinho after the last season (17-18), unless you are saying that a manager that finished 6th and then 2nd in the league is under threat to lose his job and the only reason he kept it is because of winning 2 trophies the season before that.

Seems that this is nothing more than Utd fans trying to find something to try and rile up Liverpool fans but their hypocrisy is being shown.:)

What you mean trying to rile fans up? If United fans appreciate wining trophies it's because we are like 90 percent of every other fan base in football it's not because we are thinking about Liverpool!!!!!!!

The United thread this summer was partly spent discussing if Jose should of been sacked or not and some fans wanting him sacked it was discussed several times and some felt that the third season was going to be a disaster because of how last year's season ended.

Most said he deserves chance at third season because he won trophies!!!! I'm not here trying to say you are right or wrong in your opinion i really don't care im just putting it right that rarely will you find a United fan happy to be put of a cup especially since Fergie retired most are clinging on to every cup we can win!!!

I love fa cup final day. It's not as magical as it was 20 year ago and used to spend entire day watching build up on BBC no matter who was playing in it but it's still a great competition that id love us to win again it's our best shot at trophies again this year and most fans realise that.

Back in 2000 when when the fa suggested we pull out of fa cup to help the world cup 2006 bid most United fans were against that!!!!

We're not above the FA Cup, but context has to come into play.

If Liverpool were out of the CL, we would have gone full strength last night and we'd all really want to win the whole thing. But as things stand, we are competing for the CL and in our best title run for nearly three decades.

We don't have the squad to compete in all three without playing fringe players, and there's no way we can afford to do that in either the PL or the CL.

Its unfortunate we didn't get a kinder draw or the young lads and fringe players couldn't set up and get the job done, but that's a very good Wolves team. We're in a great position at the moment to be able to shrug of elimination from the FA Cup without much bother, as there are two massive trophies to win.

Still an exciting time to be a fan. Let's not get too greedy just yet and lose perspective or where we are.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Pepe has signed for Porto. I know he's pushing on but I would've taken him as this season's Steven Caulkner given our defensive worries.

He would of been a decent option for alot of premierleague clubs. Headcase but great defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Just looking at the last time we won a cup and saw we were in the FA Cup final that year as well, losing 2-1 to Chelsea. I genuinely had forgotten that. Spearing and Henderson anchoring midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Augeo wrote: »
    If you consider the money involved the alleged majority would be off their tree.

I'm from the age where it was glory over money, I guess its just harder for me to get away from that way of thinking

I'd much rather win an fá Cup then lose a cl final any day of the wk, completely pointless getting to any final if you don't win it, for me last seasons cl is wiped from memory as was 2007

Who gives a damn about Arsenal winning three from four FA Cups? Wenger got sacked for it.

It's the third priority, lagging someway behind the league and the CL.

I'd take a CL final every year over winning the FA Cup, which most fans across the world wouldn't even be able to tell you who played in the previous year's final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Knex. wrote: »
    Who gives a damn about Arsenal winning three from four FA Cups? Wenger got sacked for it.

It's the third priority, lagging someway behind the league and the CL.

I'd take a CL final every year over winning the FA Cup, which most fans across the world wouldn't even be able to tell you who played in the previous year's final.

I couldn't tell you who played or won it last year

I'm from the age where it was glory over money, I guess its just harder for me to get away from that way of thinking

Barring the freak of Leicester's win, Money = Glory.

Even in 2006, despite the excitement of the match itself, the FA cup final win felt very hollow (for me anyway) compared to the previous season's Champions League exploits.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement