Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

murpho999 wrote: »
    It may be our worst form of the season but it's only one defeat in 5.

Still got two points in two games which is where the points cushion we have had is beneficial. Bad form would have been to lose those games and get zero.

I'm calm and optimistic about this as I believe we have a top manager who knows what to do and also a good bunch of players in the dressing room.

Players will come back from injury which will be a help.

Also, I firmly believe that City will drop more points this season as they have not shown the same levels as last season and have shown weaknesses in defence on several occasions.

A win at home on Saturday and the whole world will look different again and City will have to play Chelsea on Sunday.

Drawing two games in a row against none top 6 sides is not good enough if you want to win the league ,Not when its this City team breathing down your neck, they could win all there remaining games and no one would be surprised .

We needed to extend our cushion not lose it,

Against Leicester the players and fans where a bag of nerves and it was Janauary,

In my opinion we need a lead going into April or City with there experience and better squad will cope better at the end of the season ,

The pressure now on Saturday is massive , We have put that pressure on ourselves because of our two draws,

Drop points on Saturday and your going your next two games against Bayern and United searching for form , not ideal at all ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Playing Bayern could be a welcome break to get away from playing in the league.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Both Leicester and West Ham played the tactic of leaving no space between the lines. They were both extremely difficult to break through.
    Last night, the final pass was a bit off, both Naby and Bobby got it wrong on a few occasions by inches.

West Ham were very clever as well on free kicks, they knew we play a high line and try to stay static allowing the opposition to run offside. So they were pushing our players to keep themselves onside.
    The nudge from Noble I think on Naby which allowed the goal scorer to run by him was just enough to put him off.

So we just need to learn from that moving on. We are still 3 points ahead and there are no games in hand. It's still in our hands.

Also, when it comes to Munich, they will not defend the same way against us, I'd expect more space in the final third for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,547 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Drawing two games in a row against none top 6 sides is not good enough if you want to win the league ,Not when its this City team breathing down your neck, they could win all there remaining games and no one would be surprised .

We needed to extend our cushion not lose it,

Against Leicester the players and fans where a bag of nerves and it was Janauary,

In my opinion we need a lead going into April or City with there experience and better squad will cope better at the end of the season ,

The pressure now on Saturday is massive , We have put that pressure on ourselves because of our two draws,

Drop points on Saturday and your going your next two games against Bayern and United searching for form , not ideal at all ,

Do you really expect Liverpool to play well and win every single game in the season (so roughly 45-55 games).

City will not win all their remaining games, I guarantee it.

If they do then that's unstoppable form and they will win the league and would fully deserve it.
    Have you noticed how they have lost to teams outside the top 6? Why can't we draw against them?

If you believe City have the better squad then why do you demand that Liverpool win every game?

Read interviews with VVD and Robertson. Here's one here.

The players are calm and that's the most important thing.

Thankfully internet posters have no influence on the team and its performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Spurs going well cause they have no pressure if it come down to them having it in their own hands the will bottle it just like Liverpool are Man City won’t bottle it unfortunately and have a squad to cope with the run in

Ah would you behave. Why is it always that when a team doesn’t win they “bottled” it. F**k sake, the narrative is really tiresome. All championship chasing teams have a ropey spell at some stage. It can be a mix of tiredness, injuries, the other side playing well. It’s not always a question of “bottle”. It’s bloody disrespectful towards your own team.

I’m a Spurs fan and my mates are Liverpool fans so I was looking forward to winding them up a bit last night. I didn’t have to. They’d already wound themselves up with “we bottled it” and “we sh!t the bed”. And then I see there are a few doing the same on here. You’re still winning the league and have lost 1 f**king game this season. I wish Spurs would bottle it like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Really hate the way people say.... “if Liverpool do go on to win the league last night could be a huge point”

Heard it against Leicester, hearing it again.

Of course the objective is to accumulate as many points as possible but when you look at the bigger picture & needing to accumulating 95 points... it’s 4 points dropped and even bigger reason for losing the league. Shouldn’t be dropping 4 points in those 2 games when there is so little room for error in the grand scheme of things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

8-10 wrote: »
    City do worry me though,

Was the trip to Dubai a good idea?

City owned by Emirati, Liverpool travel to the UAE, loads of the squad get "sick"... Hmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I don't know if you've all seen the latest Liam Neeson controversy but I'm just reading John Barnes has been on Sky News defending him. I'm not sure why but part of the defence involved him calling Winston Churchill a white supremacist mass murder. That'll quieten things down I bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Think we're all feeling the strangeness after the last 2 results - Top of the league by 3 points but still not sure when our next 3 points will be. Amazing how football changes game by game ...

A good thumping of Bournemouth at the weekend and a return to fitness of TAA + Gini and Hendo could bring a swift end to this little blip.

For all the polarising of opinions that Hendo generates he is one of the few players in the 1st eleven (or thereabouts) who is experienced and can both drive on or calm the rest of the team as needs be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I don't know if you've all seen the latest Liam Neeson controversy but I'm just reading John Barnes has been on Sky News defending him. I'm not sure why but part of the defence involved him calling Winston Churchill a white supremacist mass murder. That'll quieten things down I bet.

It's true though....

Ox has been added to the Champions League squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

We are missing a right sided defender who can get forward,that where our width comes form ,

We have Fabinho, the starting right back for Brazil in midfield. We have Milner, starting midfielder at right back. Swap em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Spurs have lost 6 times already, will be ten come May, would be some feat to win title while getting beat by City, Arsenal, United , Liverpool so on.

Goodison Park will be strange tomorrow night with both sets of fans wanting Man City to win.

If you take the trip down the Mississippi River you will find a view of the game on the sports network of the National Broadcasting Channel of USA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Goodison Park will be strange tomorrow night with both sets of fans wanting Man City to win.

If you take the trip down the Mississippi River you will find a view of the game on the sports network of the National Broadcasting Channel of USA

In all fairness, having watched Everton play last few outings - they'll be destroyed. Wolves ate them alive. Can only imagine what City will do to em. Fans or no fans, will not change the outcome!

• Advertisement

Spurs have lost 6 times already, will be ten come May, would be some feat to win title while getting beat by City, Arsenal, United , Liverpool so on.

But zero draws which is huge,
    Its obvious but sometimes over looked ,people say but at least we didn't lose any of the last two, we'd be better off to lose one and win one than draw two ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Its obvious but sometimes over looked ,people say but at least we didn't lose any of the last two, we'd be better off to lose one and win one than draw two ,

I'd rather draw two games on than lose two games though.

I've checked the math and this is correct.

Last 8 games gives us 17pts, City got 15pts .I can see that trend continuing unless we completing collapse. It's a must win next time out, with a few goals hopefully. Anything else and its officially a mini crisis .
    Chelsea were leading league at one stage and looking great, look at them now. That could be us if we don't pull it together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Playing Bayern could be a welcome break to get away from playing in the league.

Among the general annoyance last night the same thought occurred to me as well. A high profile CL knockout game might be just the remedy to wake the squad up a bit among the pressures of the league. Because all the focus has been on the league there isn't the same weight of expectation with the CL so it could be good for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Lots of talk in other threads/forums of ref's giving us everything, all the time, in every game seemingly.

Just off the top of my head, what about the perfectly good disallowed goal vs Arsenal? The foot stamp and penalty not given on Keita vs Leicester? The handball in the area against Palace not given?

It's fair to say the officiating in Liverpool games (both for and against Liverpool) has been poor/inconsistent, but I'd wager it's a general theme in the Premiership this season and nothing too unusual. It's as if neutrals watching Liverpool games (and there are more and more of them now because of the title race) are only really seeing what they want to see! Crazy notion, I know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

awec wrote: »
    It’s a pity we’ve no real replacement for Firmino.

Could play Shaq maybe..
    Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Our form has dipped because our formation doesn't work without an attacking right full.

Trent coming back in will hopefully help.

Totally agree... Leicester, Palace and WH all exploited that side. And it even hurts us more when we are attacking...
    ozzy78 wrote: »
    We miss a creative midfielder to make a killer pass against packed defences or score from distance...Coutinho would be ideal at the moment but then again we mightn't have had the money to get VVD if Phil wasn't sold to Barca.

I'm not sure that is the answer, i remember plenty of games that we couldnt score and Coutinho was very slow on the ball...
    ebbsy wrote: »
    The lack of pace, we are moving the ball sideways and backwards. It's all very ponderous.

We aren't creating many chances either, and our frees are poor as well.

We exploit teams using our full backs... teams can now pack the midfield and double mark Salah...

I heard Lovren done his hammy again in training , nothing been confirmed by the club no mention of him at all which is odd,

Yup it's listed as Hamstring injury on the physio room website

I'm worried about Spurs... they eeek out results...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Disappointing couple of draws but certainly not catastrophic, Drop pts at home to Bournemouth on Sat and then its time to worry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Knex. wrote: »

Devil is in the detail. 1 game looks bad for liverpool 10 games look good for liverpool but the only one that matters is 25 games. Man city are playimg better than ljverpool at the moment. Its a blip fpr liverpool just like the leicester and palace matches were for city.

Devil is in the detail. 1 game looks bad for liverpool 10 games look good for liverpool but the only one that matters is 25 games. Man city are playimg better than ljverpool at the moment. Its a blip fpr liverpool just like the leicester and palace matches were for city.

Only one that matters is after 38 games.

After 25 games Liverpool have dropped 13 points and Man City have dropped 16 points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Man city are playimg better than ljverpool at the moment. Its a blip fpr liverpool just like the leicester and palace matches were for city.

City have lost 4 of their last 10 league games.

If that happened to Liverpool some on here would be jumping out of windows.

The three sides near the top are all going to drop more points before the season is out.

The three sides near the top are all going to drop more points before the season is out.

Problem is that more than likely won't happen again and we didn't make them pay for it,

You need to be ruthless going for the title,

Did you see the game against Leicester ? , nerves every where form the pitch to the stand and it was January !!!!!!!!!!

I think most people would agree we need to have a lead going into April as we have an inferior squad and will more likely break under the sheer pressure of trying to win the thing for the first time in donkey's years ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Problem is that more than likely won't happen again and we didn't make them pay for it,

You need to be ruthless going for the title,

Did you see the game against Leicester ? , nerves every where form the pitch to the stand and it was January !!!!!!!!!!

I think most people would agree we need to have a lead going into April as we have an inferior squad and will more likely break under the sheer pressure of trying to win the thing for the first time in donkey's years ,

Yourdeadnegative !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I'm hopeful that the sheer number of games that City will have to play will eventually start to tell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I'm hopeful that the sheer number of games that City will have to play will eventually start to tell.

Same here. Hopefully they get to the final of all the competition's they are involved in. The more high intense games without a frequent rest for them the better.

We have to beat Spurs. The alternative is worrying. They don't draw games anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

ricero wrote: »
    Same here. Hopefully they get to the final of all the competition's they are involved in. The more high intense games without a frequent rest for them the better.

That's why Wednesday wont be that easy - as bad as Everton are... City have played a lot of games and have some pretty big ones coming up so he might rest one or two.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    We have to beat Spurs. The alternative is worrying. They don't draw games anymore.

Had they drawn the six they lost they'd be top, I don't see the logic in not drawing games. I still think we are better off with the last two points we gained rather than losing two games.

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    That's why Wednesday wont be that easy - as bad as Everton are... City have played a lot of games and have some pretty big ones coming up so he might rest one or two.

Literally every Everton fan wants City to win, Everton have nothing to play for already the atmosphere is going to be so odd,
    Im just hoping they tire out a few City players for the Chelsea game the weekend ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Everton will get absolutely battered by City, I'm not even doing a reverse jinx thing, that manager hasn't a clue. 4/5 nil easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Lost 4 kg how can I catch that bug please����

I once got Norovirus and lost a stone pretty much overnight.

It's mosly just dehydration and having an empty stomach.

It makes little meaningful change to your weight.

I know it was a joke, but it's not like Virg will need to put back on 4kg of muscle or organs or whatever.

Eating properly for a week should sort him out, although maybe there's some further damage a professional athlete would have to worry about. Maybe soft tissue injuries are more likely or something like that.

The fundamental uselessness of having to rely on Lovren is somewhat exposed by this. I think he's a good player. Maybe in the top 10 CBs around. But he's not physically reliable.

Everton's home form is decent , a win or draw is likely, a loss less likely but possible. They've lost 4 at home, same as Spurs.
    80% a win or draw, 20% a loss. At least that is what their form at home so far suggests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Send the Anfield cat across the park for a cat fight in Goodison on Wednesday night.

• Advertisement

10 games is hardly an indicatpr of recent form. Its a long time in football,the team isnt palying as well as they were against united/bournemouth/newcstle/wolves/arsenal. A far cry from recent performances. Shaky against leicester palace and weat ham but still grinding out tesults. Team is not playing well/cohesively

Literally every Everton fan wants City to win, Everton have nothing to play for already the atmosphere is going to be so odd,
    Im just hoping they tire out a few City players for the Chelsea game the weekend ,
    I dont think thatd be the case in liverpool. Its nothing like liverpool and united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

PhuckHugh wrote: »

they had Sané, stones, mahrez and Jesus on the bench against Arsenal :(
    some depth there :(

Gbear wrote: »
    I once got Norovirus and lost a stone pretty much overnight.

It's mosly just dehydration and having an empty stomach.

It makes little meaningful change to your weight.

I know it was a joke, but it's not like Virg will need to put back on 4kg of muscle or organs or whatever.

Eating properly for a week should sort him out, although maybe there's some further damage a professional athlete would have to worry about. Maybe soft tissue injuries are more likely or something like that.

The fundamental uselessness of having to rely on Lovren is somewhat exposed by this. I think he's a good player. Maybe in the top 10 CBs around. But he's not physically reliable.

He will get a 2 week rest now after Saturdays game that should help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Liverpool's Champions League squad for the knockout stages:

Goalkeepers: Alisson, Mignolet, Kelleher*, Grabara*

Defenders: Van Dijk, Lovren, Gomez*, Matip, Alexander-Arnold*, Robertson, Moreno, Camacho*, Hoever, Phillips*, Johnston*, Masterson*

Midfielders: Fabinho, Keita, Wijnaldum, Henderson, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Jones*, Chirivella*

Forwards: Salah, Mane, Firmino, Shaqiri, Sturridge, Origi, Brewster*

* List B player.

A maximum of 25 players can be named on a club's List A to UEFA with a minimum of eight places reserved for locally trained players.

Clubs are entitled to register an unlimited number of young players on List B which includes those born on or after January 1 1997 and who have been eligible to play for the club for any uninterrupted period of two years since their 15th birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Flyer29

The fact that we’re back to praying that Everton cause an upset against Man City is a sickening reminder of the opportunity we left go begging the last few days.

The Rafa memes we’re doing the rounds within minutes of the Newcastle and City game last week, thank you Rafa flags being flown in Anfield etc as if it was a foregone conclusion that we were going to hammer Leicester but we didn’t

Getting caught up in how Man City do in their games is doing nobody any good. We’ve to concentrate on Saturday and leave the City fans worry about their own games. As long as our faith is in our own hands, only one team’s games should matter to us

• Advertisement

I dont think thatd be the case in liverpool. Its nothing like liverpool and united

You don't know Liverpool then, they will want Man City to win tomorrow night, they did in 2014 nothing is going to change in 5 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

robwen wrote: »
    Liverpool's Champions League squad for the knockout stages:

Chirivella

Lol, complete joke that this lad is still on the books

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Grabara is on loan at another club so he can't be in the Champions League squad.

If Randall has been named in the PL squad you would imagine he would be named in the CL squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Chirivella is on loan at Extremadura

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Would consider myself neither a naysayer or doom-monger but it was pretty bleak waking up this morning. Those last 2 performances have me spooked.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement