Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Probably absolute spoof, especially when we are playing them next month. Can't see them wanting to help Liverpool out in any manner.

https://twitter.com/LFCTransferRoom/status/1082610609261301761?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Keita has not been bad. We've done great when he has played. He helps break things up. Never played against city and we lost. We need him back in the side, not surrounded by the Z team in the FA Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

That is from a single tweet from J.A. Fjortoft
    "Will Liverpool take a centrehalf on loan now? Maybe Hummels. Not playing at Bayern. Klopp knows him of course."

So, no actual source, just an ex player/pundit speculating...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Keita has not been bad. We've done great when he has played. He helps break things up. Never played against city and we lost.

That's simply not true. He gives the ball away more than any other CM. He doesn't create chances. Henderson, Gini and Fab have all broken up play much more. And losing to City was very much not about him not starting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Keita has not been bad. We've done great when he has played. He helps break things up. Never played against city and we lost. We need him back in the side, not surrounded by the Z team in the FA Cup

He didn't play against Arsenal either or Newcastle , we won both of them by a number of goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

That's some crazy confirmation-bias there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

One fit centre back at the club ...eeeeekkk! this is why we should have kept Raggy!!
    And clyne allowed go out on loan ??? cant understand that decision.

Also ...Adam Lallana... was only reading yesterday how Klopp was saying how great he looks in training and the strongest he's even been. Fast forward a few hours and he's out injured. Facepalm. Just get rid in the summer.

Speaking of which we're gonna have some massive clear out ...sturridge, origi, moreno, clyne, lallana, Mignolet,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Knex. wrote: »
    Probably absolute spoof, especially when we are playing them next month. Can't see them wanting to help Liverpool out in any manner.

https://twitter.com/LFCTransferRoom/status/1082610609261301761?s=19

Looks like a none story based off some ex Ajax player's speculative tweet. Surprised the Echo would report on such shat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

ERG89 wrote: »

Disappeared in the game so maybe he is going back in Klopps jacket until the fab 3 are in front of him again....

Seems to play better with better players around him, didn't do much at all last night IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Given how little he's played I think Keita's been fine. I think he'll come into his own 2nd half of the season.

I did hear on the Anfield Wrap that there was some suggestion from the club they were a bit unhappy with his progress in English given he had a year to practice, but I can't see it being that big a deal, given that he probably speaks at least German and French and we've a fair few others who speak at least one of those (Mane, Lovren, Matip, probably Van Dijk and Gini given they're dutch, Salah, Firmino, Origi, Fabinho).

It's not easy to fit into this system. It's tough for more defensive or conservative players like Fabinho, Gini, etc, but he's expected to also have his head on a swivel, know when to take on a player, he needs to spot attacking passes without forcing the play too much.

All of those midfield roles are extremely taxing, both physically and mentally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So the team for to play Brighton.

Alisson

TAA
    Fab
    VVD
    Robbo

Gini
    Keita

Shaqiri
    Fun Bobby
    Mane

Salah

If defence wasn't such a worry right I'd go Fab/Gini/Hendo in midfield against Brighton. I wouldn't say Klopp was happy with Keita's performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What's so annoying about (and for) Keita is that he hasn't get a run in the side and if we say he's fit now the midfield is compromised again by Lovren's injury. Fab needs to be the No 6 instead it'll be Henderson god help us and that'll damage Keita's changes of making a good impression - he needs continuity in this formation (if it's a 4-3-3) to settle and thrive.

Fab
    ---Gini
    Keita

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

When Keita has been played, he's been in different roles depending on who's playing 6.
    When it's Fab, there is no dropping back into the full back slot to pick up the ball.
    When it's Hendo, which it mostly has, he has had to do this. This isn't a position he's played before.
    He's also more restricted to one side of the park, at Leipzig he was mainly through the middle and could pick up positions in either channel.

A bit of a run will get him the fitness and confidence he needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

What's the most games Keita's played in a row for us? He had about 3 at the start of the season and I don't think he's had as many since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Keita needs a run in the best XI, if Klopp is so confident in him that shouldn't be a problem. Surrounding him with Origi, Sturridge and a bunch of kids isn't going to help him.
    He's had a few good games, lots of niggling injuries and just looks low on confidence. I'm surprised at what I've seen so far, he was aggressive in attack and defence at RBL.

We've only seen it once I think but I do still believe Fab/Gini/Keita is our best available midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

yesterdays result was meaningless, basically it was a group of players thrown together and asked to play as a team against a very decent Wolves team. In reality, it was never going to go well. Teams beed to gel and tgis takes time. Kieta is and will be fine. relax

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

While we can't write Keita off after his first half-season and it might be true that a run in the side would help, we'd be lying to ourselves if we didn't admit he's been a disappointment so far. (Note, so far - I am not writing him off or calling him a bad signing. But let's be honest with ourselves - we were expecting a more explosive and immediate impact). I also don't think it's incorrect to call a spade a spade - he has been our worst central midfielder this season.

I was hugely excited about the signing, he seemed to have a totally unique stat-set of being elite in every area of midfield play, as good a dribbler and chance creator as some of the best attacking mids and as good a disruptor as some of the best defensive-mids.

The stats don't lie* that he's been unable to reproduce this at Liverpool so far.

- He got a goal every 4 games or so at Leipzig - an excellent contribution for a centre-mid all-rounder. He hasn't managed a goal for us yet in 10 starts and 8 sub appearances.

- He was averaging around 1.5 Key Passes per game the last 2 league seasons with Leipzig. So far at Liverpool? 0.3

- Averaged 2.6 dribbles per game at Leipzig, 0.9 at Liverpool.

- Off the ball, 2.5 tackles per game and 2 interceptions at Leipzig, 1.1 tackles and 0.3 interceptions at Liverpool.

We have not seen the real Keita yet. He hasn't found his role and his identity in this team yet, it's clear to see. We didn't pay £55m for this.

Hopefully this is a positive thing, as if he can shine to his best ability it's going to have a massive impact on the second half of the season. I actually think he could be the key man, whether he can step it up could really make or break our season. It will be huge if he can reproduce his Leipzig numbers.

I do think we need it, we need consistent goals from other sources and we need other forms of creativity in midfield. We need his ability to win the ball back and dominate a midfield in big games.

Hopefully we see the player we hoped we signed soon, it could make a huge difference.

* Small disclaimer on the stats - as these are "per game" stats and Keita has a greater % of games as a sub for Liverpool than at Leipzig this will skew things and the true drop off is not quite as extreme as it looks in the above numbers.
    If any has a source for these stats on a per minute basis this would be a better representation but we'd still clearly see a drop off such is the huge difference in the numbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

When he plays a dozen games in a row I'll talk about him.

noodler wrote: »
    When he plays a dozen games in a row I'll talk about him.

Can we afford to give him those games right now, that's the question? Do we have that luxury?

The midfield needs rotation, Gini is perhaps the only player who has avoided this but even he has had a couple of rests. I don't think Keita will get even 5 games in a row. Klopp has rotated wisely this year to keep our midfielders fresh and intense.

Keita will need to make it work with the games he's given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Fabinho has had about four good games for Liverpool.

I don't disagree that he's started to settle, or that I see him as our long term bedrock in midfield, but I'm not sure why Keita should be under any more pressure to perform early on than Fabinho has been.

He's also a couple of years older than Naby, who's still only 23.

If Keita plays 4 of the next six and gets a goal and plays fairly well, any worries about him will be forgotten.

If we get to the end of the season and we've seen nothing it'll be worth having a think about him, but even then, I wouldn't be writing him off by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The real question is whether he'll persevere with his current screen name for much longer. Utd gave up on the player himself a lot quicker! :pac:

QONVIyz.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Morzadec wrote: »
    While we can't write Keita off after his first half-season and it might be true that a run in the side would help, we'd be lying to ourselves if we didn't admit he's been a disappointment so far. (Note, so far - I am not writing him off or calling him a bad signing. But let's be honest with ourselves - we were expecting a more explosive and immediate impact). I also don't think it's incorrect to call a spade a spade - he has been our worst central midfielder this season.

I was hugely excited about the signing, he seemed to have a totally unique stat-set of being elite in every area of midfield play, as good a dribbler and chance creator as some of the best attacking mids and as good a disruptor as some of the best defensive-mids.

The stats don't lie* that he's been unable to reproduce this at Liverpool so far.

- He got a goal every 4 games or so at Leipzig - an excellent contribution for a centre-mid all-rounder. He hasn't managed a goal for us yet in 10 starts and 8 sub appearances.

- He was averaging around 1.5 Key Passes per game the last 2 league seasons with Leipzig. So far at Liverpool? 0.3

- Averaged 2.6 dribbles per game at Leipzig, 0.9 at Liverpool.

- Off the ball, 2.5 tackles per game and 2 interceptions at Leipzig, 1.1 tackles and 0.3 interceptions at Liverpool.

We have not seen the real Keita yet. He hasn't found his role and his identity in this team yet, it's clear to see. We didn't pay £55m for this.

Hopefully this is a positive thing, as if he can shine to his best ability it's going to have a massive impact on the second half of the season. I actually think he could be the key man, whether he can step it up could really make or break our season. It will be huge if he can reproduce his Leipzig numbers.

I do think we need it, we need consistent goals from other sources and we need other forms of creativity in midfield. We need his ability to win the ball back and dominate a midfield in big games.

Hopefully we see the player we hoped we signed soon, it could make a huge difference.

* Small disclaimer on the stats - as these are "per game" stats and Keita has a greater % of games as a sub for Liverpool than at Leipzig this will skew things and the true drop off is not quite as extreme as it looks in the above numbers.
    If any has a source for these stats on a per minute basis this would be a better representation but we'd still clearly see a drop off such is the huge difference in the numbers

How many full games has he played for us? Off the top of my head I can only think of 3 (maybe 4). I think in Germany he also played the full game the majority of the time?

How do his stats actually look if shown over 90 minutes rather than games?

Morzadec wrote: »
    Can we afford to give him those games right now, that's the question? Do we have that luxury?

The midfield needs rotation, Gini is perhaps the only player who has avoided this but even he has had a couple of rests. I don't think Keita will get even 5 games in a row. Klopp has rotated wisely this year to keep our midfielders fresh and intense.

Keita will need to make it work with the games he's given.

Agreed. To be honest sometimes I think we can be a bit too soft on players. Keita had a clear opportunity last night but didn't take it. All well and good saying that we we can't expect miracles when he's playing alongside a bunch of no hopers and kids but for me Origi impressed me more last night. Besides for his goal he was all over the pitch working hard while his partner up front stood by and scratched his arse. That's making the best of a chance when you get it.

Naby should have to make do with taking his chances as they arise. Didn't do that for me last night and I'd be worried about starting him against Brighton when we need an immediate reaction from the team.

All the talk about needing to get a defender I wouldn't be letting Origi go this window no matter the bids.

Sturridge was an absolute disgrace in the game last night and should never play another minute for the club again and should be shipped out this window.

We need to try and get in a striker this window even.

I know it'll probably be a quiet month but Solanke somehow netting us 19m has me thinking we might actually be in for a forward.

Agree well need a defender as well but Klopp seems adamant that he will not buy in January. Just have to put up with it I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

Oddly Brighton away last season was a centre back crisis as well, only Lovren fit, Klopp went 3 at the back with Can & Wijnaldum either side, Liverpool won 5-1. Was Henderson going to play centre back last night before he dropped out late on due to illness I think, seeing as Lovren wasn't supposed to play or maybe it was going to be Milner cb & Henderson midfield, could Klopp spring another 3 at the back surprise Saturday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

We've only seen it once I think but I do still believe Fab/Gini/Keita is our best available midfield.

Keita has no place in a "best" midfield based on performances to date. Of our 6 primary midfield options, Keita is bottom of the list.

What's frustrating is that he does some difficult things well and then messes up the straightforward option, as evidenced by not feeding Moreno & Salah last night. This shows he has the talent but is not comfortable delivering the goods.

I hope his inconsistency is a "settling in issue" as opposed to a personality flaw in his make-up. As more time passes and he fails to do deliver, the latter becomes increasingly likely.

Maybe Wolves will loan us Coady till the end of the season as defense cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Not good enough for Liverpool.

Not good enough for Liverpool.

Club should make a selfish decision and call him back to Anfield, he might come in useful if we have injuries up front.

Be a laugh if Marriot or Mason end up winning goal of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Keita has shown glimpses of quality.

I think he will come good very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

I think we need another attacking midfielder, a forward and a defender. still quite lacking in any depth in forwards. if one of front 3 is injured Shaq steps in.... but that leaves us short a creative player

what happened young Iriah centre half...masterson? would have thought he'd have played last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Club should make a selfish decision and call him back to Anfield, he might come in useful if we have injuries up front.
    Get the sentiment, but leave him where is, getting the full 90 nearly every game, scoring worldies and heading into a promotion battle, with all the pressure and experience that brings and then see if he can fight for a squad place next year. No point bringing him back when he's peaking to likely play with the u23's or maybe keep a bench warm. Will he be good enough to break into the first team or a regular place? Best to let him develop in the fire of a promotion battle and if it doesn't work with us, his value will increase after being in the shop window...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Gbear wrote: »
    Fabinho has had about four good games for Liverpool.

I don't disagree that he's started to settle, or that I see him as our long term bedrock in midfield, but I'm not sure why Keita should be under any more pressure to perform early on than Fabinho has been.

He's also a couple of years older than Naby, who's still only 23.

If Keita plays 4 of the next six and gets a goal and plays fairly well, any worries about him will be forgotten.

If we get to the end of the season and we've seen nothing it'll be worth having a think about him, but even then, I wouldn't be writing him off by any means.

This is a very good point.

Questions were being asked of Fabinho two months ago and four games (or whatever) seems to have completely put him beyond question by many.

I hope to see more from Keita, but I have seen enough at RB, and enough of the technique this year to know the ability is there.

I might have been a bit extreme with 12 consecutive games but say six has he even played six in a row?

Its been all stop start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Last night certainly showed we need another quality forward.

Origi & Sturridge both not good enough. It would be great if Brewster came through but that will have to wait until pre-season.

noodler wrote: »

I might have been a bit extreme with 12 consecutive games but say six has he even played six in a row?

Its been all stop start.

He started the first 3 games of the season and since then he's played two games in a row only twice.

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    Get the sentiment, but leave him where is, getting the full 90 nearly every game, scoring worldies and heading into a promotion battle, with all the pressure and experience that brings and then see if he can fight for a squad place next year. No point bringing him back when he's peaking to likely play with the u23's or maybe keep a bench warm. Will he be good enough to break into the first team or a regular place? Best to let him develop in the fire of a promotion battle and if it doesn't work with us, his value will increase after being in the shop window...

If Wilson is able to give us more options up front then he'd be more beneficial to club being apart of the first team. We're now in a great position to have a realistic go at winning a league title and if he can help then that's more important than his potential sell on fee.

Maybe Klopp has someone else in mind but I definitely think we need a player like Wilson for the remainder of the season.

All the talk about needing to get a defender I wouldn't be letting Origi go this window no matter the bids.

Sturridge was an absolute disgrace in the game last night and should never play another minute for the club again and should be shipped out this window.

We need to try and get in a striker this window even.

Studge was awful but he was suffering with a high fever all day and didnt want to pull out because we where short on numbers, but yes he was bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

https://twitter.com/lfc_corner/status/1082247552425050115?s=19

I didn't realize just how good it was..

• Advertisement

Do peiple realise Keita hadnt played more than 3 games in a row as he done nothing to justify starting more games ,
    If he was showing enough in training and games hed be starting

Someone said judge him after a dozen games in a row are they for real !!!! You cant play somone every week at a top club in the hop that after 11 games he comes good , its not some Sunday leauge team you preform when called upon amd if u don't that call won't come often

He has time on his side but so far he doesnt deserve to be starting its that simple reallt

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

Second year running I wonder will Mane come second again.

Edit: Keita, Mane & Salah named in the African team of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

Second year running I wonder will Mane come second again.

Edit: Keita, Mane & Salah named in the African team of the year.

Won't please some.

I'm joking btw.

Just to be clear on Keita -

Saying that he is not currently in our strongest midfield (which I would find it very hard to argue he is) or that his performances so far are below what we expected, is not the same as making a final judgement on him, nor is it a prediction that he won't come good.

I still have high hopes for him. Should he start against Brighton? I fully trust and back all Klopp's decisions right now so if he selects him I back it, but if I had to pick the team I would have him on the bench.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement