Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sign Reus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Hardly think Keita has played much at all. Injuries and all, also takes 6 months to be eased into our team. Can't believe this is even a subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Keita's going to beat the shít out of Bayern single handed and it'll be all thanks to you fools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Had a great joke about Moreno this morning around 7am when I was catching up on the thread.
    Then the morning of work knocked it out.

So this will do I suppose

giphy.gif?resize=480%2C270&ssl=1

He was suppose to be the chosen one

SociableShorttermHylaeosaurus.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

What a goal in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

x43r0 wrote: »
    Correct we can only judge a player on what he has produced so far for the club

I would argue that given the limited game time and injuries he's had that it's not fair to judge him at all at this stage good or bad

Making judgements on anything without a reasonable sample size is foolish in my experience

By that logic we shouldn't be judging Alisson to be any better than Mig, or Fabinho better than Henderson until the end of the season.

Either refute the argument or say nowt, but don't invalidate someone's opinion based on your contrived metric of when we should and shouldn't judge a player.

All we are here to do is give our own thoughts on the team according to whatever sample size we see fit.

Keita acted up at RB like Coutinho did at LFC, if we can laugh at Coutinho then we can be underwhelmed by Keita.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

#LFC hoping to have Matip back for Crystal Palace and Gomez by the start of February. That and Fabinho’s ability to play centre-back means they won’t be making a signing this month.

https://twitter.com/LynchStandard/status/1082972338692468736?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Any kid playing cb outside the first team be able to make the jump Harry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

rob316 wrote: »

Hoever (will do a lot better with VVD beside him), Philips, Masterson.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

rob316 wrote: »

As if I'd know! :pac: Nat Phillips made a pretty good impression playing in the summer friendlies including ICC matches and Napoli but he's injured and Fab would still be a better bet in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

Hoever (will do a lot better with VVD beside him), Philips, Masterson.....

Philips is injured & Masterson was left play with the u23 team Monday & not brought to Wolves despite a centre back shortage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

garra wrote: »
    By that logic we shouldn't be judging Alisson to be any better than Mig, or Fabinho better than Henderson until the end of the season.

I wasn't trying to define any rules on when I it's ok to judge any player. All I'm trying to say is perhaps there isn't enough there yet to judge the lad and we shouldn't be so hasty to grade him

I never said anything about waiting until the end of the season or comparing performance to other squad players so that bit is apparently just in your head
    Either refute the argument or say nowt, but don't invalidate someone's opinion based on your contrived metric of when we should and shouldn't judge a player.

What was contrived about my logic?

I wouldn't be so condescending as to try and invalidate his opinion as he's well entitled to it. I just offered the suggestion that if you look a bit closer, there isn't (IMO) enough evidence on which to reasonably judge Keita yet
    All we are here to do is give our own thoughts on the team according to whatever sample size we see fit.

Agreed!

It's the sample size bit which I think we need to be more mindful of, that's all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

SM01 wrote: »
    "THE NABY KEÏTA CONUNDRUM: WHY LIVERPOOL ARE YET TO SEE THE BEST OF THE ALL-ACTION GUINEAN"

Excuse the caps. I copied the headline from the article. Sam McGuire is a decent writer and here's his take on Naby:

https://www.internationalchampionscup.com/en/articles/the-naby-keita-conundrum

This back's up my original point yesterday about him playing in the wrong position. Get him back into that 2 man midfield please, playing too far forward IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Keita has been p!ss poor lads, the odd half decent game but nothing to show he's gonna make it at Liverpool. His lack of English (his own doing) and his shyness in the dressing room is surely a factor but even taking that into account he's been very underwhelming.
    BUT.........

Suarez was poor in his first year, looked a good footballer but couldn't finish his dinner.

Robert Pires was similar, very poor and took an age to settle in.
    Both in their prime would be welcome additions to our first team, not just the squad.

(God forgive me for saying this)
    Salah was a Chelsea flop, got a full season and looked awful. He's not bad now is he?

Keita has been poor but I wouldn't write him off yet. When he's on the ball he looks like he's gonna do something good, he drives at players like nobody else that's fit. He just doesn't do it enough. I honestly reckon it's a confidence issue with him, if he got a run we'd see the best of him. The problem is, the club can't afford to let him go on a run as if he doesn't perform, he's a passenger and our style doesn't allow for that and he looks worse.
    Hopefully time will show him to be the player we expected. Fingers crossed for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

It's the sample size bit which I think we need to be more mindful of, that's all[/QUOTE]

If we can judge a player on one match like we all do , As in we give match ratings out of 10 ,
    Then surely you can judge a player on any number of games ??

Keita has had 8 Prem start's , then a few more in cup games and so far has failed to impress, I can't see why we can't judge on what we have seen ,

I agree with you that over a longer period of games you can make a judgement on the player's overall skill set, strong point and weak points

But you can also certainly judge a player over the games he has played up to this date , and so far he has failed to impress,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

gafferino wrote: »
    What a goal in fairness
    That was the first game I saw him play, against Spurs 0-3 away, was in the pub (Glenside in Chruchtown, GAA was on but they had in on in the side bar) and jumping up and shouting fcuk me! and getting daggers from an elderly American couple, and turned to my mate and said 'who have we bought!'. Yeah, good times...

.red. wrote: »
    Keita has been p!ss poor lads, the odd half decent game but nothing to show he's gonna make it at Liverpool. His lack of English (his own doing) and his shyness in the dressing room is surely a factor but even taking that into account he's been very underwhelming.

What does his lack of English have to do with anything? How do we know he's shy?!

It's the sample size bit which I think we need to be more mindful of, that's all
    If we can judge a player on one match like we all do , As in we give match ratings out of 10 ,

Keita has had 8 Prem start's , then a few more in cup games and so far has failed to impress, I can't see why we can't judge on what we have seen ,

I agree with you that over a longer period of games you can make a judgement on the player's overall skill set, strong point and weak points

But you can also certainly judge a player over the games he has played up to this date , and so far he has failed to impress,

So of the 8 games he has started in the league he was MOTM in one. (away to Burnley) He was also excellent against West Ham for the opening game. Not a bad return before the other 6 games are looked at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

What does his lack of English have to do with anything? How do we know he's shy?!

All the lads in here dogging on him for not learning English; guarantee most of you lot can only ask to go to the jacks after learning Irish your whole life FFS.

BUT.........

Suarez was poor in his first year, looked a good footballer but couldn't finish his dinner.

Robert Pires was similar, very poor and took an age to settle in.
    Both in their prime would be welcome additions to our first team, not just the squad.

(God forgive me for saying this)
    Salah was a Chelsea flop, got a full season and looked awful. He's not bad now is he?

Keita has been poor but I wouldn't write him off yet. When he's on the ball he looks like he's gonna do something good, he drives at players like nobody else that's fit. He just doesn't do it enough. I honestly reckon it's a confidence issue with him, if he got a run we'd see the best of him. The problem is, the club can't afford to let him go on a run as if he doesn't perform, he's a passenger and our style doesn't allow for that and he looks worse.
    Hopefully time will show him to be the player we expected. Fingers crossed for him.

totally agree he's been poor buyt could very well improve,
    Confidence seems the main thing, Its almost like he's a bit star struck and wants to play the easy ball afraid of making a mistake,

In Leipzeg he was the main man and thrived being the one they looked to to make things happen,

As someone said maybe if he plays in front of Gini and Fab in a box to box almost free roll he will improve

• Advertisement

Klopps has mentioned how shy he is and he almost hides behind Mane ( they played together before)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

No problem at all in that context as you're saying "He played well in that game"

But from one match you'd never say "He is a good player". You would naturally want to see a bit more and form the wider judgment over more experience of seeing him play and the point at which you make that call is entirely up to you and I'm not here to look down on anyone on how quickly they choose to form an opinion (I do apologise for the 'foolish' comment earlier).

All I am trying to point out is that when it comes to the "He is a good player" kind of judgement, then the accuracy of such a statement get's better the more it is supported by time and experience

So of the 8 games he has started in the league he was MOTM in one. (away to Burnley) He was also excellent against West Ham for the opening game. Not a bad return before the other 6 games are looked at

Could be wrong but I think Miner got MofM in the Burnley game, Although Keita played great

Strangely v Burnley none of the big 3 started and Naby looked like our biggest treat , So maybe he is a bit star struck and to quick to pass responsibility to the 3 amigo's

https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/12/naby-keita-speaks-out-on-recent-liverpool-struggles-and-reveals-advice-from-jurgen-klopp-8130376/
    This was November so presumably he is getting better!

Keita is also looking to improve his English to speed up the adaptation process: ‘I am following English courses and I am really, really motivated to speak English. It is really important to me. ‘I want to be able to speak to the coach and I want to be able to speak to the other players in the team so I am really working hard.’

x43r0 wrote: »
    No problem at all in that context as you're saying "He played well in that game"

But from one match you'd never say "He is a good player". You would naturally want to see a bit more and form the wider judgment over more experience of seeing him play and the point at which you make that call is entirely up to you and I'm not here to look down on anyone on how quickly they choose to form an opinion (I do apologise for the 'foolish' comment earlier).

All I am trying to point out is that when it comes to the "He is a good player" kind of judgement, then the accuracy of such a statement get's better the more it is supported by time and experience

I agree with you and I know your just making your point which is fair enough , I'm not stupid enough to think what I think is always right ,

,I don't think anyone is saying he is a " BAD PLAYER " just he has been disappointing so far for whatever reason's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/12/naby-keita-speaks-out-on-recent-liverpool-struggles-and-reveals-advice-from-jurgen-klopp-8130376/
    This was November so presumably he is getting better!

Keita is also looking to improve his English to speed up the adaptation process: ‘I am following English courses and I am really, really motivated to speak English. It is really important to me. ‘I want to be able to speak to the coach and I want to be able to speak to the other players in the team so I am really working hard.’

Does he not speak German?

Klopp has said how shy he is, reading from whats been said he seems to be joined at the hip with Mané. That can't be a good thing.

Lack of English means he can't join in team talks, he can't get a message across or understand what's been said without whiteboard diagrams. Dressing room banter is a huge thing, the morale at Liverpool looks to be a massive thing. He's gonna be pretty much left out of that if he can't take a wind up and join in.

10 years ago work took on a lot of Polish lads that had very little English. If there wasn't a few on them on together they would sit there in the canteen and eat, nothing else. A few times on shift I'd be the only English speaking person and it was very demoralising. The Polish lads were the same when they the minority. 4 of them are still working with me and their great craic. They really get the Irish sense of humour and throw the insults/banter back as quickly as they get it.

A dressing room can be like that, a horrible place to be if you don't feel like you fit in.

robwen wrote: »
    Does he not speak German?

French.

He struggled to learn German.

I know I would a total fish out of water if I lived in a Country that didn't speak English I couldn't even learn Irish I don't have the ability to pick up languages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

French.

I know I would a total fish out of water if I lived in a Country that didn't speak English I couldn't even learn Irish I don't have the ability to pick up languages.

I'm the same but I'd like to think about €75K a week would motivate me, probably not.

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I'm the same but I'd like to think about €75K a week would motivate me, probably not.

It's nothing to do with money thought.

I don't have an ear for languages and money can't buy that ear.

French.

Ye I heard he could only say hello and good bye and the bare minimum in German ,
    The staff expected to him to have some English when he arrived but he said he had no lesson's
    Didn't he get in trouble for having fake driver's licence to ?
    Maybe he is a bit of Messer's or naive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Courinho never really learned to speak English in his 5 years here, didn't seem to bother him too much

Ye I heard he could only say hello and good bye and the bare minimum in German ,
    The staff expected to him to have some English when he arrived but he said he had no lesson's
    Didn't he get in trouble for having fake driver's licence to ?
    Maybe he is a bit of Messer's or naive

Maybe he is dyslexic and can't spell or do written tests in a language he can't speak to get a drivers licence in a new Country to him.

Maybe he can't speak to get a drivers licence in a new Country to him.

All clubs have player liaison officers now so that's no excuse.

Courinho never really learned to speak English in his 5 years here, didn't seem to bother him too much

Phil had good English, loads of LFCTV interviews and he can speak fine,
    Just near the end when questioned about pushing for the Barca move did English escape him ,

• Advertisement

All clubs have player liaison officers now so that's no excuse.

Can they sit the tests for them then wow no excuse then at all.

Your going down the wrong road,
    The driver licences he provided where fake Guinea (where he's from) ones ,not Germany ones ,
    He couldn't pass the test in his own language not German ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Phil had good English, loads of LFCTV interviews and he can speak fine,
    Just near the end when questioned about pushing for the Barca move did English escape him ,

He barely spoke any for years. Sure just last year Lallana was talking about how Bobby does speak much English but it doesn't matter because they know how to communicate through football.

He barely spoke any for years. Sure just last year Lallana was talking about how Bobby does speak much English but it doesn't matter because they know how to communicate through football.

I did hear about Bobby but that was from Phil in an interview saying he was teaching him ,
    I think the issues with Keita was he knew he was coming for a year an literally didn't have a word ,

Fair enough but they can help them fill out all the forms, sit in the back for lessons etc. Pretty sure they can find someone who speaks any language needed, especially french.
    How hard is it to learn the basics, you don't need to understand a language to know left, right, stop.
    There's plenty of taxi drivers in Cork(and I'd imagine elsewhere) who have extremely basic English. I had one one night ask me to put my address into his satnav. They have a psv test to pass along with their drivers test.

• Advertisement

Fair enough but they can help them fill out all the forms, sit in the back for lessons etc. Pretty sure they can find someone who speaks any language needed, especially french.
    How hard is it to learn the basics, you don't need to understand a language to know left, right, stop.
    There's plenty of taxi drivers in Cork(and I'd imagine elsewhere) who have extremely basic English. I had one one night ask me to put my address into his satnav. They have a psv test to pass along with their drivers test.

It was a fake Guinean one not a fake German one ,

Where's that lad who taught Emre Can, send him over.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Where's that lad who taught Emre Can, send him over.

Think he's livinginkorea

Think he's livinginkorea

Bit of a flight that

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Bit of a flight that

Keita probably has a fake pilots license too so could just fly himself over instead of going to the planned warm weather break coming up.

I would also imagine it’s a lot easier to buy a fake license in Africa than it is in Austria & Germany.

Saying that Reus I would guess got his one in Germany but he is a well know naive messer.

Honestly how do you know it wasn’t a fake one?

There is plenty of Irish people driving on fake licenses for one reason or another just hope your not involved in an accident with them.

Fake license or not does takeaway from the lads talent.

I would also imagine it’s a lot easier to buy a fake license in Africa than it is in Austria & Germany.

Saying that Reus I would guess got his one in Germany but he is a well know naive messer.

Possibly both got them Germany impossible to know but strangely enough Reus one wasn't a German one either :D it was a Dutch one ,

Honestly how do you know it wasn’t a fake one?

There is plenty of Irish people driving on fake licenses for one reason or another just hope your not involved in an accident with them.

Fake license or not does takeaway from the lads talent.

I don't think anyone implied it would take away from his talent ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Camacho is staying

https://www.record.pt/futebol/futebol-nacional/liga-nos/sporting/detalhe/klopp-veta-saida-de-rafael-camacho-para-o-sporting

translated by chrome
    Rafael Camacho after all will not be Sporting's reinforcement. The volte-face in the process emerged on Wednesday after a meeting with Jürgen Klopp, in which the Liverpool coach refused to let the Portuguese midfielder leave, considering that he is a player to bet in the second half of the season.

According to Record , at the base of this decision is the belief that the German has in the potential of the Portuguese Luso, aged 18, and was reinforced by his performance on Monday against Wolverhampton in a game in which he started.

Rafael Camacho, remember, has a contract with the Reds until the end of the 2019/20 season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement