Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

Those sketches take me back, comedy gold. The shell suits :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Charlie19 wrote: »
    For some reason I thought McCall leveled the game at 3-3 and we won the replay.

Your thinking of the 1990 final. Palace vs United finished 3-3. United won the replay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

mosstin wrote: »
    Great, great competition. I have wonderful memories of it, especially from when I was a kid. The PL have pretty much ruined it in recent years but there's still something romantic about it.

When teams like West Brom started putting out second string teams in the 3rd round of the comp is when its significance as a cup really died

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭klose

The cups are great when you're in them and if you're dumped out early barring a small percentage nobody is really arsed these days and that's about it for any fan base, klopp has made it known what he thinks of them and that ain't changing anytime soon.

Anyways, the countdown is on untill the big one tomorrow night really looking forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Surprise surprise lingard and martial now expected to be fit for our game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Mind games, very slow, very obvious mind games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I like the FA cup, one of my fondest memories as child watching football is a 3-3 draw with Everton in the final.

Shakes fist at Stewart McCall.

I'm way late and I know the scoreline was already pointed out to be 3-2 but this is one of my favourite games of all time.

If you're a fan who never saw the 1989 final then get a stream of it or highlights at the very least. Cracker of a game that is probably not talked about enough due to the events of the semi final.

Hardly a surprise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

He lost me at the second surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Grayditch wrote: »
    He lost me at the second surprise.

He had me at game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Fabinho set to start beside Matip tomorrow night according to Pauly Joyce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

x43r0 wrote: »

People will have mixed feelings about this. Initially reacting with horror and then realising he's replacing Dejan. I'm a fan of Lovern tbh and would prefer he be there than not, although he's capable of the calamity now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Will Conte take it seriously?

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

x43r0 wrote: »
    gimli2112 wrote: »
    People will have mixed feelings about this. Initially reacting with horror and then realising he's replacing Dejan. I'm a fan of Lovern tbh and would prefer he be there than not, although he's capable of the calamity now and then.

Not really an issue for defence, Fabby was absolutely fine against Brighton, it's more about lacking his ability for a worldie weighted pass from midfield to attack. Definitely the better option available to stop them getting an away goal - wishing Coman a speedy recovery, just not until after tomorrow's game please...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

As I said I would only believe that news of them being injured for the Liverpool game when the team sheet is announced.

Also with Man City winning on Saturday that will move the Manchester derby to a postponed game later in the season. Meaning the game in hand will switch on Paddys weekend. Hopefully Liverpool can take full advantage of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    Not really an issue for defence, Fabby was absolutely fine against Brighton, it's more about lacking his ability for a worldie weighted pass from midfield to attack. Definitely the better option available to stop them getting an away goal - wishing Coman a speedy recovery, just after tomorrow's game please...

Lewandowski is just a bit better than Glen Murray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Most of the Man Utd fixtures from Fergie's days seemed to involve a lengthy injury list on their side and then they'd field a full strength team whereas 1/2 ours would be unexpectedly missing. Utd are flying at the moment so I'll grasp any straws being offered.

Lewandowski is just a bit better than Glen Murray
    Yeah, clearly - it's the better option, not a perfect, fool-proof option, but at least Fabby showed he can fit in there and get the job done without any drama, Dejan hasn't played for 6 weeks, so bringing him for a game like this is a risk...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

The Twitter poster @SwissRamble has just posted a thread on Liverpool finances for anyone interested. An interesting read where, exceptional transfer dealings notwithstanding, Liverpool are still moving in the right direction (in terms of finances).

Apologies but I don't know how to link.

The Echo's podcast were split on whether it was better for VVD to miss the first leg or second leg. Personally I think it's a better thing that he's out tomorrow (if he has to miss one of them) because we should be on top possession wise.

I would expect Henderson and Gini to sit in front of the back 4 when Bayern have the ball and Trent and Robbo will have to work hard to get back often too. If those 4 players defend well early on it should mean Bayern will resort to more aerial attacks which would suit Matip and Fabinho.

Interestingly, this is Alisson's first game for us without VVD in front of him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I wonder will the Fab/Matip defensive pairing see a Hend/Wijn/Milner midfield.

Assuming TAA is ok to start at RB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Tomorrow will be much tougher than Sunday.

I expect Utd to play 10-0-0 formation on Sunday. Try and keep the score down to a respectable level.

Its a big game in name only. We will smash them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

not worried about Fabinho at CB,

more worried about him missing from midfield

I reckon it's going to be that midfield myself. If Shaqiri or Keita play it's because of familiarity with Bayern but I don't think we'll start with either of them.

Going over myself, anyone else at it? I presume we're not doing a bus meet for this one

Yeah... think Gini and Hendo are probably sure starters barring any fitness/bowel issues and then it's a question of Millie's dependency/work rate against Nabby's potential ability to push on between the lines. The bigger question is does Klopp go with 4-3-3? Keita was fine in that formation against Bournemouth and Millie is well used to it, so it shouldn't make a huge difference which starts and with Fabby in a CB role means one of Klopp's stated reasons for the 4-2-3-1 formation is no longer relevant. Also, Mo looked so much happier out on the wing and himself and Bobby looked like their old selves against Bournemouth and Mane will have a blinder regardless of the formation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Locking the thread, will open again when I'm done cleaning up.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Thread open again. Stick to the football please.

I'm glad I missed the sh1t show yesterday :D

SM01 wrote: »
    The Twitter poster @SwissRamble has just posted a thread on Liverpool finances for anyone interested. An interesting read where, exceptional transfer dealings notwithstanding, Liverpool are still moving in the right direction (in terms of finances).

Apologies but I don't know how to link.

Here you go

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1097414490587570176

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I may well scream if that's the middle three, and it better be three and not Henderson/Wiji as a double 6.
    Keita has played Bayern 4 times in the league it would be a good idea to use that experience and take the attack to them rather than sit too deep.

I would put a lot of money on it being Fab/Matip in defence and then Gini/Keita/Hendo in midfield with Milner coming in for Keita on Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I would put a lot of money on it being Fab/Matip in defence and then Gini/Keita/Hendo in midfield with Milner coming in for Keita on Sunday

I'll be surprised if Keita starts ahead of Milner, although I'm not sure why really. Henderson more likely to miss out I reckon if anything.

5starpool wrote: »
    I'll be surprised if Keita starts ahead of Milner, although I'm not sure why really. Henderson more likely to miss out I reckon if anything.

I can't see Henderson not starting, he's doing the Press Conference with Klopp in a half hour or so.

In the CL, the player who does the presser always starts.

It's here from noon btw:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I may well scream if that's the middle three, and it better be three and not Henderson/Wiji as a double 6.
    Keita has played Bayern 4 times in the league it would be a good idea to use that experience and take the attack to them rather than sit too deep.

Better start exercising those lungs because I'd say that's exactly what the middle 3 will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

It's the obvious reason for Keita being reintroduced to the side over the past 5 weeks.

As the advanced midfielder he is a psychological threat to Bayern because he always gave them a problem in the games where he played that position. After they lost to Leipzig last season, the post match positive from Heynckes was that Keita would be at Liverpool this season. Keita was MOTM with a goal and assist to win 2-1.

On the other side though, Bayern know how to get at Keita and they'll work on getting him carded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If Fabinho is CB then I'm not sure Keita will play. Klopp could want to keep things tighter and go with the 3 amigos, Milner, Henderson and Gini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Go with a balls to the wall 4 3 3.

Alisson

TAA
    Matip
    Fab
    Robbo

Gini

Shaq
    Keita

Salah
    Fun Bobby
    Mane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

5starpool wrote: »

Henderson definitely not good enough long term IMO but if any game suits him for his energy and work rate then it's a big European night at home

would like to see Klopp go bit bolder and start Naby instead of Milner,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,097 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I would start with Keita.

By the sounds of things, this Bayern team can be got at, especially on the counter and with pace. Keita can offer that bit more than Milner in that sense with quick forward passing and also quick bursts of pace through the middle.

I think we will concede anyways with our defender injury problems, so may aswell just go for more goals instead of trying to keep it tight. We can score goals in Europe.

Knex. wrote: »
    If Fabinho is CB then I'm not sure Keita will play. Klopp could want to keep things tighter and go with the 3 amigos, Milner, Henderson and Gini.

quite a few times when that 3 has started we have not kept things tight and 2 games, in particular, showed up our midfield.

Napoli away
    PSG away

I would hope Klopp has learned the lesson that it doesn't work as that midfield 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Boetang is injured which is bad news for Liverpool! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think Keita will start ahead of Milner in midfield alongside Henderson & Gini

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lovren might be available and Shaq to under go a late fitness test.

Lovren might be available and Shaq to under go a late fitness test.

Judging on Henderson's comments I'd be surprised if Fabinho didn't start at CB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The big issue with Fabhino CB tomorrow is we will have four CM on the pitch it would have been nice to rest one for Sundays game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The big issue with Fabhino CB tomorrow is we will have four CM on the pitch it would have been nice to rest one for Sundays game

5 days rest after a 12 day break & January we had not many games.

Man Utd have a game tonight too. Players should be fine in terms of fatigue. Still have Milner or Keita fresh for Man Utd depending on who starts tomorow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I don't think I'd put any stock in playing Keita just because he's played against Bayern before, seems a bit irrelevant to me. He will probably get a start though if Fabinho is drafted in at CB, it'll be Hendo, Wijnaldum, Keita I guess. Key thing is play Salah wide, not up top. He played worse up there as well as Firmino looking lost in plenty of games, it suits both better to go back to last seasons positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,482 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

United just don't lose games at home, 1 all season. What they have been doing is conceding a lot at home, 16, which is more than Brighton 15, or Palace 12, or Leicester 13. Could be a case of out scoring them, but can we do that? We struggle to break a team down, if we keep a clean sheet we'd win, but our clean sheet are few and far between these days, 2 since Christmas? Something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

They all have had plenty of rest recently,players need games to get back up to speed again and often can be off the pace a bit after a lay off,Liverpool need to start winning games and building momentum like they had in December

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

United just don't lose games at home, 1 all season. What they have been doing is conceding a lot at home, 16, which is more than Brighton 15, or Palace 12, or Leicester 13. Could be a case of out scoring them, but can we do that? We struggle to break a team down, if we keep a clean sheet we'd win, but our clean sheet are few and far between these days, 2 since Christmas? Something like that.

wha? we've dropped 13 pts from 78 all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

It's mad how the absence of VVD makes me go from pretty confident of winning tomorrow to pretty concerned.

Hopefully we can return to the chaotic, high-press football of last year and win the game the old fashioned way. In fact, I think that's half the reason we saw the 4-3-3 with Salah out wide in our last game. In my mind, he looked the best he had all year there too.

United just don't lose games at home, 1 all season.

*in the league. Where we have only lost 1 away game all season.

They lost to PSG the other day at Old Trafford. They can be beaten at home.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement