Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

I don't think scouting works like ............."we are looking to buy a player from Germany, let's make a shortlist" :)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm pretty nervous about both upcoming games, but it's great to be involved in meaningful games at this time of the season. I think a clean sheet is pretty important tonight, but a Matip/Fabinho pairing isn't the most inspiring ever I have to say.

I'm hoping for another night charged by the atmosphere in a European game and we win 2/3-0, but any win would be good, 0-0 not terrible. The game tonight and the tie in general could go either way, but if our away performance matches our away performances in European ties in all games since the QF last season we're in big trouble. Worry about tonight first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

United result yesterday could have done us a favour,
    Chelsea are horrid not only did City trash them so did Bournemouth ,
    The win will give United the confidence to come out against us and that will suit us ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

United result yesterday could have done us a favour,
    Chelsea are horrid not only did City trash them so did Bournemouth ,
    The win will give United the confidence to come out against us and that will suit us ,

hmmm how so? I would much rather a team without confidence tbh :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

After last night it is the turn of the big teams tonight.

Should be a great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

5starpool wrote: »
    I'm pretty nervous about both upcoming games, but it's great to be involved in meaningful games at this time of the season. I think a clean sheet is pretty important tonight, but a Matip/Fabinho pairing isn't the most inspiring ever I have to say.

I'm hoping for another night charged by the atmosphere in a European game and we win 2/3-0, but any win would be good, 0-0 not terrible. The game tonight and the tie in general could go either way, but if our away performance matches our away performances in European ties in all games since the QF last season we're in big trouble. Worry about tonight first.

I’d take any win right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Getting back in sync ����@MoSalah #YNWA

https://twitter.com/Alex_OxChambo/status/1097580520777662465

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm excited about tonight, I think it's going to be a cracking game of football, I don't see a hammering either side, and either team could win it.
    It's going to be an interesting line up for us tonight anyway, I think Munich have plenty of injuries to contend with as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I expect us to come out of the gates quickly tonight. Our knockout matches last year were all won in the home legs. Bayern will be vulnerable to our pace.

Could be a cracker of a match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Adam Lewis and Paul Glatzel sign contracts (first professional one for the latter)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I wonder what Ox's pace, and acceleration is like now after the injury. Does he still have both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

With the champions League break and the dramatics of the league, this fixture has kind of crept up on me. It's mad but it feels like a distraction from the league games. I know the champions League is a bigger trophy but I think 9/10 of us would choose to win the league if we had the choice.

I think we will win tonight and have a 2 goal lead in the second leg to cling onto.

I'm more nervous for the united game...terrified actually.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

FitzShane wrote: »
    I wonder what Ox's pace, and acceleration is like now after the injury. Does he still have both?

I'd say he hasn't tested either yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm a little worried about tonight if Firmino isn't playing, I have to say.

I imagine he is playing but won't be 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Knex. wrote: »

He didn’t start v PSG and we were excellent in the first half in fairness.

But yeah wouldn’t be ideal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Ardent

I wonder will Keita start again tonight. Assuming Lovren, Matip and TAA are all fit and available I'm predicting a midfield three of Fab, Gini and Keita.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Match day! Been a while!
    Tonight has all the ingredients to be a cracker. European night at Anfield v Bayern Munich. Our lineup will dictate a lot. Hopefully Firmino starts, our centre back partnership will have a huge bearing on the game. Our midfield also- who plays where, and what that leaves us on the bench to change things.
    I'm more excited now about the game, alot of unknowns yet. I think a win will come our way. No injuries would be an automatic bonus with Sunday on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Ardent wrote: »
    I wonder will Keita start again tonight. Assuming Lovren, Matip and TAA are all fit and available I'm predicting a midfield three of Fab, Gini and Keita.

I dont think Lovren is fit.

I think we are looking at Matip and Fabinho will be CB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

I reckon the team tonight will be

Allison

TAA Fabinho Matip Robbo

Hendo Gini Keita

Salah Bobby Mane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Very very tuff game,
    Matip and Fab as your CB is not ideal and also then Fab will be missed n the middle,
    I think a draw or a 2-1 Bayern Win but I still think we will go through ,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Allison

TAA Fabinho Matip Robbo

Hendo Gini Keita

Salah Bobby Mane

That's how I see it also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I expect us to come out of the gates quickly tonight. Our knockout matches last year were all won in the home legs. Bayern will be vulnerable to our pace.

Could be a cracker of a match.

Apart from Porto where the game was won in Portugal and a 0-0 at Anfield :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Tough game tonight but looking forward to it. VVD missing is huge.2-1 would be acceptable.
    Just looking at Chelsea last night and against city means they are a cert to play unreal against us. Typical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Knex. wrote: »

Considering the alternative I’d have him on there even if he was confined to a hospital bed.

Edit: Actually forgot about Origi. But would start Firmino unless he can’t play

• Advertisement

The last time LFC and Bayern met at Anfield

51727785_10156917890436132_3353251143181402112_n.png?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=06960811f60aed2019a7bb540ff030e0&oe=5CDE40CA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Michael Oliver announced as the ref for Sunday's game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Have they played any English clubs other than Arsenal in CL recently?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Have they played any English clubs other than Arsenal in CL recently?

We haven't played them in competition since 1981!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

_____-_Allison_____
    Trent_Fab_Matip_Robertson
    ______Henderson________
    __Milner______Gini_______
    _______Firmino_________
    ____Salah__Mane_______

Hope we see chess football. Naivety in a game against Bayern will cost us. Keep it tight, focus on not conceding, take a chance when it comes. To force issue here will see us lose, they are so experienced.
    There should be no time during a game like this over two legs in a Champions League match where the visiting side hit you on the break! This is not a league game, no Buckaroo football like United played against PSG.
    Chess football please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'm excited about tonight, I think it's going to be a cracking game of football, I don't see a hammering either side, and either team could win it.
    It's going to be an interesting line up for us tonight anyway, I think Munich have plenty of injuries to contend with as well.
    Boateng is sick, which might not be a loss to Munich considering how he deals with players of pace and skill , as illustrated below when he was at the height of his powers.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    We haven't played them in competition since 1981!

2001 says hello ;)

_____-_Allison_____
    Trent_Fab_Matip_Robertson
    ______Henderson________
    __Milner______Gini_______
    _______Firmino_________
    ____Salah__Mane_______

Hope we see chess football. Naivety in a game against Bayern will cost us. Keep it tight, focus on not conceding, take a chance when it comes. To force issue here will see us lose, they are so experienced.
    There should be no time during a game like this over two legs in a Champions League match where the visiting side hit you on the break! This is not a league game, no Buckaroo football like United played against PSG.
    Chess football please!

I hope we play our own game the one that got us to the final last season and let Munich worry about us.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

Michael Oliver announced as the ref for Sunday's game.

Good. He's by far the best of a very bad lot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

2001 says hello ;)

I remember it well because, although it was a glorified friendly, casually going 3-0 up against a European giant after winning all the cups a couple of months prior made it one of two times I thought to myself that Liverpool were back in business.

Boateng is sick, which might not be a loss to Munich considering how he deals with players of pace and skill , as illustrated below when he was at the height of his powers.

giphy.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-3159-1368617607-10.gif

I hope we play our own game the one that got us to the final last season and let Munich worry about us.

Yea I get you, we played Porto at this stage last year though, beating them 0-5 away. Bayern will be far superior. This is more of a semi final match, next round could be easier if we get through.
    I feel an away goal will be vital in this tie, hope we stop them getting one, then a draw over there would do.

The Match Day Program Cover.

DzwwbPsWwAAe_wA.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I'd take a 0-0 tonight tbh. If Bobby isn't right, he can't play really, he needs energy to be effective, and at this level everyone needs to be 100%. No point dragging him out of his sick bed and having him banjaxed for the weekend as well as tonight. A judgement call by management I suppose.... Just please don't fvcking start Sturridge either way.

Yea I get you, we played Porto at this stage last year though, beating them 0-5 away. Bayern will be far superior. This is more of a semi final match, next round could be easier if we get through.
    I feel an away goal will be vital in this tie, hope we stop them getting one, then a draw over there would do.

Next round teams (aside from our tie) are likely to be:

Juve
    Man City
    PSG
    Barca
    Real Madrid
    Spurs
    Roma/Porto

Aside from the last game, not much you'd point to as clearly easier than Bayern. All pretty tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I personally would not start Origi or Sturridge if Firmino is out, but it wouldn't be a disaster if studge started, he started against PSG and scored and we won the match so he is capable.

And playing our own game got us past City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

5starpool wrote: »
    Next round teams (aside from our tie) are likely to be:

Juve
    Man City
    PSG
    Barca
    Real Madrid
    Spurs
    Roma/Porto

Aside from the last game, not much you'd point to as clearly easier than Bayern. All pretty tough.

Can we get PSG in the next round if we do get through? Don't think I could take watching them throw themselves to the floor for another 180 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Can we get PSG in the next round if we do get through? Don't think I could take watching them throw themselves to the floor for another 180 minutes.
    yep, it looks like it can happen

"There are no seedings or country protection: any restrictions will be announced ahead of the draw."

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2019/draws/round=2000982/

Will probably be City in that case. I see Shalke giving them a game though. Will do well to get though, they've been only decent away from home this season. Can see them losing first leg tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Firmino has linked up with the team, hopefully he starts

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/1097863839759155201

Would be great if Firmino sharts against Bayern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Allison

TAA Fabinho Matip Robbo

Hendo Gini Keita

Salah Bobby Mane

I’d worry about Allison playing in the corner. It leaves our goal wide open!

Would be great if Firmino sharts against Bayern
    We'd clean up in front of goal.

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »

Ya, as another poster said, totally open draw from the QFs onwards (aside from any weird ones like Russian teams not playing Ukranian teams, which can't happen anyway).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement