Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Meh, Weren't at the races and still should have won it comfortably. Our front 3 all having an off night together doesn't happen often so glad the opposition had no interest in scoring a goal. Hopefully have our mojo back by the time we get to Munich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

noodler wrote: »
    Cos the odds favour the home team?

Not nearly as much in a game where one goal for us means they need two or they're out. They failed to secure an away goal while playing against our 4th and 5th choice centre backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

0-0 is grand.....played great for about 30 mins, really disjointed second half, final ball was poor tbf.....Bayern will be much happier with the result, offered very little going forward and got away with their fair share at the back. With VVD coming back for the second leg I'm pretty confident we'll do the job in Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Think these breaks are ****ing up our rhythm.

Hopefully we're sharper on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Not nearly as much in a game where one goal for us means they need two or they're out. They failed to secure an away goal while playing against our 4th and 5th choice centre backs.

What?

The odds favour the home team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Mixed performance and result.

Munich were not much of a threat either and would not fear them.

Should have a stranger team for return leg next month and hopefully a run of form.

We still have a great chance to get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Definitely not the worst result in the world
    Although we have lost our last 5 matches away from home in Europe still fancy ya to grab a couple of goals in Munich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

I'd have taken that before kick off given that van dijk was suspended, them not having an away goal is an advantage for us and you'd fancy us to score atleast one over both ties. Obviously we could have won 2 or 3 nill so disappointing in that regard but youd imagine the front 3 won't be as poor second leg. Also Trent and Robertson stunk the place out, Robertson human after all!

All to play for second leg, bring on united!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

What?

Did you even read my comment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

What?

They're probably about 40% to win which would make them more likely than us, but we don't need to win.

• Advertisement

Back to focusing on Sunday.

I've literally no idea how it'll go.

Utd rebounded well last night, will we regain our composure for Sun?

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No.

Preference is always to play at home second against the big guns, and go into your home game not losing.

Once you have that, it's in your control. We've always been delighted when it went this way for us in the past.

They failed to score a goal, but they played very defensively because they were happy with the draw. I think a few on here think that tonight is indicative of the Munich we'll see in Germany.

They'll be favourites to go through now and rightly so. Big task ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Here we go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Funny game, seeing Bayern deliberately spoiling play and not even trying to score in the last 10-15 minutes really was just weird. Salah may have just played his worse ever game for Liverpool. No intensity, obvious movement always from the same areas to the same areas desperate to keep the goal on his right side at all costs so predictably running into a dead end. The defence did okay but they weren't as tested as strongly as you'd have expected. 0-0 is a good result in the end with everyone back hopefully bar Gomez (?). Oh someone tell TAA to throw the fecking ball properly, not that he is helped by his teammates who are always far too static and close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Can we give up the little mini breaks away as well.

Brady saying Saaaalaaaah is very irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Laughably little football played in the last 10 minutes. Players going down injured, substitutions. Literally nothing happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Chuffed with the result to be honest. If we're not going to win, draw nil nil. A bit of a strange mindset from Munich that as soon as the second half kicked off, they were happy to keep it at nil nil.

Even that free kick at the end, Munich played it back rather than launch it into the box when Liverpool wouldn't have had time to break.

Lads, we can do these in Munich no bother and VVD is back as well.

Did you even read my comment?

I tried alright.

How it changes the fact the odds are with the home team is anyone's guess. Actually wasn't sure if you were addressing what I said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Augeo wrote: »
    Meh.....no away goal for them...advantage us imo

Of the 31 sides have drawn their first leg of a champions league knockout match at home 0-0 before tonight only 10 progressed

Add to that Bayerns fantastic home record in champions league. Last 26 home matches, won 22, lost 2 drawn 2

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Can we give up the little mini breaks away as well.

This.

We are absolute piss after these breaks.

Hopefully all these breaks bear fruit in the next few months but hard to see the benefit so far.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Of the 31 sides have drawn their first leg of a champions league knockout match at home 0-0 before tonight only 10 progressed

Add to that Bayerns fantastic home record in champions league. Last 26 home matches, won 22, lost 2 drawn 2

Plus our away record this season isn't great. Still in a good position though. It wont be easy but the CL rarely is.

Bayern’s lack of pace in central defence wasn’t really exposed there as their full backs never got forward and they had 2 sitting midfielders in front of them who didn’t really get forward much either.

Have to imagine it will be a bit different in the return leg. They will push on more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭doc_17

It’s because of this reason that tonight was a pooor result.

First half was far better than the second. Keita played well then faded. Firmino obviously emptied the tank chasing everything for 45 minutes. Mane too, because he also faded out of the game. Salah was hopeless, just too predictable. Fabinho solid at the back, Matip is Matip.

Origi offered nothing when he came on, was completely marked out of the game. He's so static, don't think he found a red shirt in his cameo.

Still don't understand why we only made 2 subs. Shaqiri sitting on the bench while Salah stunk the place out. Makes no sense at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I'm confident that we'll go through if we are on it, the only worry for me is not Bayern, its that we've been woeful away from home in every CL game this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

doc_17 wrote: »

It’s because of this reason that tonight was a pooor result.

Well it's obviously a poorer result than a win. I think we will need to score first in the away leg, Bayern killed that game very well in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's a proper tie, chess football. We'll score and they will need two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

That's a surprising star tbh, but anyway....
    Given who was available to us, I would have been happy enough with 0-0. The chances before halftime might come back to haunt, but either way we kept our shape and didn't look like conceding really. We did fade in the second half, and Bayern parked the old bus and closed the game. One goal would have changed that, but poor finishing cost on the night.

Bayern are a good team lads....some people seem surprised by that for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Bayern's home form in the cl is built up by a previous Bayern team though. The current one is no where near as good. They defended instead of attacking a poor centre back partnership, something the original Bayern team would have really targeted.

Never seen Bayern so happy to pass the ball around 20 yards from their own goal.

That's a surprising star tbh, but anyway....
    Given who was available to us, I would have been happy enough with 0-0. The chances before halftime might come back to haunt, but either way we kept our shape and didn't look like conceding really. We did fade in the second half, and Bayern parked the old bus and closed the game. One goal would have changed that, but poor finishing cost on the night.
    It's not that surprising really.

If you don't win your home game you have a harder job of it. Even factoring in away goals, winning away from home is difficult in this competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

NukaCola wrote: »
    Bayern are a good team lads....some people seem surprised by that for some reason.

And we kept em scoreless with our 4th and 5th choice Centre halves..

Didn’t Arsenal get a famous draw in Munich a few years ago? They still went out but this team is more than capable of matching their achievement.

I felt like they almost paid us too much respect.

NukaCola wrote: »

Had a bad start to the season but they’ve been in good form for a couple months now. Think they will still win the league there in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

superg wrote: »
    I'm confident that we'll go through if we are on it, the only worry for me is not Bayern, its that we've been woeful away from home in every CL game this season.

I think we'll nick one goal over there. If we're solid at the back we've a good chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I couldn't understand how everyone in media thought we'd stick em for 4 or 5 like we did to Porto. Bayern are so drilled in Europe. They give away very little, but neither did Liverpool. Game on.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Didn’t Arsenal get a famous draw in Munich a few years ago? They still went out but this team is more than capable of matching their achievement.
    5 years ago.

Since then they visited twice and got humped 5-1 twice.

I couldn't understand how everyone in media thought we'd stick em for 4 or 5 like we did to Porto. Bayern are so drilled in Europe. They give away very little, but neither did Liverpool. Game on.

The "media" said the same about United and PSG and PSG made a show of them.....not sure where all this over confidence comes from....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

English media hyping up English teams. Who'd have thought

Had a bad start to the season but they’ve been in good form for a couple months now. Think they will still win the league there in the end.

They won 9 out of their last 10 games in the league....in good form tbf...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Came in here expecting doom and gloom, pleasantly surprised by optimism. Media hyperbole re: anfield anxiety is BS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Anyway, I'm glad we're not ahead, we'd only choke/bottle it in the second game, like we are doing in the league!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Anfield was noticeably quieter tonight than some of the group games and the knockouts last season. A lot more getting on the players’ backs than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

I couldn't understand Hummels and Boateng being denigrated for "age", they're both only 30 ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

English media hyping up English teams. Who'd have thought

Well done for getting a thank from Fred the Red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

awec wrote: »
    No.

Preference is always to play at home second against the big guns, and go into your home game not losing.

Once you have that, it's in your control. We've always been delighted when it went this way for us in the past.

They failed to score a goal, but they played very defensively because they were happy with the draw. I think a few on here think that tonight is indicative of the Munich we'll see in Germany.

They'll be favourites to go through now and rightly so. Big task ahead.

Funny enough Liverpool are 7/1 Munich 14/1 to win it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Delicately poised.

Bayern favourites to progress - but not by much.

Liverpool well capable of grabbing an away goal.

• Advertisement

not yet wrote: »
    Funny enough Liverpool are 7/1 Munich 14/1 to win it..
    Not sure where you're getting those odds from.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement