Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭facehugger99

not yet wrote: »
    Funny enough Liverpool are 7/1 Munich 14/1 to win it..

They're both 10-1 with PP.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They're both 10-1 with PP.
    Yea and we are 12/1 on bet365, they are 10/1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

noodler wrote: »
    I felt like they almost paid us too much respect.

I couldn't believe their performance tonight. They could have got a couple of away goals tonight, but instead they put in a 'solid' European display.

I think we could be putting at least two past these in Munich.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Where?
    Pool at best are 12/1 bef365/skybet and Bayern also 12/1 betfair/betvictor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

8-10 wrote: »
    Anfield was noticeably quieter tonight than some of the group games and the knockouts last season. A lot more getting on the players’ backs than usual.

Didn't seem like there was much moaning from the crowd from what I could hear. It was just subdued as not much was happening especially after half time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Going by our recent away trips in Europe the writing seems to be on the wall regards this tie. Bayern passing around at the back tonight was very irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Probably not worth showing up for the second leg....could probably fit in another trip away that week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Well done for getting a thank from Fred the Red.

Thanks I guess?

Unlike the love affair some posters have with the thanks button I personally don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I'd consider starting Sturridge and Shaq in second leg, could be a long night. I'd rather us getting stronger in last hour of game and extra time than to have Sturridge and Shaq as the only hope going into extra time.

Typically for the rest of humanity, returning from a holiday makes it hard to resume the daily routine of life. Not sure it's the same for footballers, but it looks the same right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Typically for the rest of humanity, returning from a holiday makes it hard to resume the daily routine of life. Not sure it's the same for footballers, but it looks the same right now.

Exactly,think all these breaks have done is break our routine and unsettle us,not to mind that fecking bug that has enveloped the squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Exactly,think all these breaks have done is break our routine and unsettle us,not to mind that fecking bug that has enveloped the squad

But once their back in their routine and the vitamin D kicks in from the holiday then we will be flying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Bowlardo wrote: »
    But once their back in their routine and the vitamin D kicks in from the holiday then we will be flying
    We could be out of Europe by then and facing an uphill battle in the title race if the vitamin D does not kick in quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Fab might just turn into the most important player in the squad Klopp is building.

He is a true monster of a player.

Fab was crap to begin with, thought we'd made a huge mistake signing him. Fair play to him for showing his true worth. He has settled in so well now. He could be huge in midfield in second leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Well done for getting a thank from Fred the Red.

Mick must live an exciting life, ever present here and I presume ever present in the thread's of the teams he actually supports, he must have a hectic social life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Wtf are those odds. To qualify. Both teams are 17/20

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Wtf are those odds. To qualify. Both teams are 17/20

To win cl outright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Hard to see who would get dropped out of last night's midfield, assuming Fab slots back in for the 2nd leg.

Fab to stick at CB and Matip drops out perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Back to focusing on Sunday.

I've literally no idea how it'll go.

Utd rebounded well last night, will we regain our composure for Sun?

Bournemouth aside, the team hasnt played well since the City game. Few players look leggy and out of form - Noticeably Salah and Firmino, tho I know the latter has been ill. Milner must have been rested with an eye on Sunday - so I hope that doent mean Milner/Hendo/Winj in midfield - I'd rather Fab in there - possibly drop Henderson. Fab is just a better man to break up play and get an attack started.

Utd will be aggressive - which should suit Liverpool - but TAA and Robbo will need help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

forwards all look tired and off their game.

I am against these bloody holidays they seem so fond of taking,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

ebbsy wrote: »
    It w'ont be 0-0. We d'ont do those scorelines.

It will be a great game either way.

Oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Yeah let's not do this thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

not a bad result for either side, BM now favourites to go through but the tie's still in the balance. The Germans came with a game plan and it was executed pretty well, can't blame them considering what we did to teams last year, at this stage.
    A lot of the play seemed rushed, silly mistakes, poor passing, mis-controls but again a lot was down to the way BM harried us.
    Mane the rascal with all of the misses, hopefully he puts that right in the next round or even Sunday will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

ballyargus wrote: »

I think calling it a holiday is a stretch. On paper the idea of warmer weather with less warm up requirements and lower injury risk seems like a good one. It does seem to come at a cost to sharpness though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

If you're work did the same for you I'm sure you'd not complain as much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

On another night we win that game 3 or 4 nil. The fact we didn't hadn't got much to do with Bayern being a good side or whatever, we were off form up front. They showed no attacking intent and we still carved them open time again despite us not being anywhere near our best. I still can't believe that free kick they had in the last seconds, any other team launches that into the box and sees what happens, nothing to lose, they passed it back to the keeper!

I've no fear ahead of the second leg as long as at least one of our strikers find their goalscoring boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    Bournemouth aside, the team hasnt played well since the City game. Few players look leggy and out of form - Noticeably Salah and Firmino, tho I know the latter has been ill. Milner must have been rested with an eye on Sunday - so I hope that doent mean Milner/Hendo/Winj in midfield - I'd rather Fab in there - possibly drop Henderson. Fab is just a better man to break up play and get an attack started.

No way Hendo gets rested after that performance. More likely Fab stays at CB. Wijnaldum's knee was strapped up so maybe he gives way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why do people always say that players look tired if they are perceived not to have played well?

Same as I see people posting 'get player X off, he's knackered' after 60 minutes and they can tell this from brief flashes on the TV.

It wasn't Shamrock Rovers they were playing last night but one of the largest clubs in Europe who did their best to frustrate Liverpool and played very well in defence.

Very easy to call training camps holidays after they draw a game and not realise the long term benefits these trips can bring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Thud

awec wrote: »

They'll be favourites to go through now and rightly so. Big task ahead.
    Delicately poised.

Bayern favourites to progress - but not by much.
    gimli2112 wrote: »
    BM now favourites to go through but the tie's still in the balance.

Bookies have them both priced equally to go through to next round, 10/11 currently on Bet365 for both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Hopefully all these breaks bear fruit in the next few months but hard to see the benefit so far.

But that's the point. It's February. It's not meant to fix us for a single game, it's meant to set us up for another 3 months of tough games. City will have to keep relying on the same squad without the breaks we are getting, and we have to hope that makes us fresher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Hard to see who would get dropped out of last night's midfield, assuming Fab slots back in for the 2nd leg.

Yeah, was thinking the same last night, guess Sunday might give pointers to what Klopp will do. Fabby and VVD were solid away to a Brighton team that had, iirc, a long stretch of games scoring at least one against all opposition at home. Bayern a very different prospect, but if Keita puts in more performances like his first half between now and the return leg in 3 weeks then it could make sense. Hendo and Gini were strong last night, Lewandowski saw fcuk all of the ball and so would Klopp shift back to the 4-2-3-1 to accommodate Fabby in midfield? We didn't have the rub of the green last night, the main issue was the front three being rusty/unlucky, so do you risk Matip or Lovern to let Fabby displace a growing Keita? Head scratcher...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Dickerty wrote: »
    No way Hendo gets rested after that performance. More likely Fab stays at CB. Wijnaldum's knee was strapped up so maybe he gives way?

There will be a plan in place since last week id imagine,

I reckon our midfield will be Hendo, Fab and Gini , We need bite and legs to beat United,

Its possibly Gini doesn't play if his knee is bad and Milner goes in ,

I think we will play a very solid middle 3 and let our full backs and forwards get after United,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

There will be a plan in place since last week id imagine,

I reckon our midfield will be Hendo, Fab and Gini , We need bite and legs to beat United,

Its possibly Gini doesn't play if his knee is bad and Milner goes in ,

I think we will play a very solid middle 3 and let our full backs and forwards get after United,

VVD and Matip at CB unless Lovern is back I'd guess.

Gini might miss out on the starting lineup on Sunday if he's not 100%. He's had that strapping on his knee for a while now so maybe it's nothing serious.

Robertson was much more reserved last night and I'd guess that was to try shore up the back four and not leave the CBs on their own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

The game was never going to be decided last night as Bayern were never gonna leave themselves exposed to be out of the tie after 1st leg.

Even though we should have been more clinical in the 1st half, 0-0 is a good result on the balance of play. We had our 4 and 5th choice playing CB against possibly one of the top strikers in Europe.

Bayern will have to come out and play more offensive which I think will leave the space for us to get in behind. I think the game will be similar to the City away game, under lots of pressure from the start but if we stay solid and calm I think we will progress.

With Kimmich out for them and VVD back for us, I'm happier with that :).

It promises to be a fascinating battle, we can forget about it for 3 weeks and let's see how good form our players are then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

TitianGerm wrote: »
    VVD and Matip at CB unless Lovern is back I'd guess.

Gini might miss out on the starting lineup on Sunday if he's not 100%. He's had that strapping on his knee for a while now so maybe it's nothing serious.

Robertson was much more reserved last night and I'd guess that was to try shore up the back four and not leave the CBs on their own

This.
    Clearly a strategy, and a good one. Needed a clean sheet, and that was achieved. Created several chances, but didn't take them. Control what you can, and the rest will come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Thud wrote: »
    Bookies have them both priced equally to go through to next round, 10/11 currently on Bet365 for both.

You may not get the same price in Germany. Bayern were the happier of the two with the result last night, for a reason. I still say it could go either way but a lot will depend on luck and happenstance. We were well ahead going into the Rome match last year and look how that turned out.

As ever if there's an easy way or a hard way we'll pick the more scenic route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

As good as nabby was he gassed very quickly..a recurring theme, clearly not up to the pace of our play yet,have a good feeling he will be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Not surprised by last night at all.

1. Bayern are actually a good team, despite what many in the media have argued.

2. Their gameplan was spot on. They were not going to risk being counter-punched, and so sat insanely deep in possession, trusting that they could repel our front 3 if they just gave us nothing in behind. it worked, because we just don't have enough goals in midfield. Despite all this, we still should've won.

3. How Bayern played with have little bearing on 3 weeks time. They played purposely for a 0-0 or to nick something should the opportunity arise.

It's advantage them, no question. If we'd been away in the first leg and drawn 0-0, we'd have taken it all day, every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Our performances in 2019 do need to improve.

I thought we were actually good against City & Bournemouth.

We are inviting pressure with loose passes into midfield far too often. We do that Sunday & Man Utd will punish us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

You know Liverpool are gaining a big reputation in Europe when they are playing with a weakened back line but a big time like Bayern would rather sit deep and not give Liverpools front 3 any space than go attack a weakened Liverpool defence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

You know Liverpool are gaining a big reputation in Europe when they are playing with a weakened back line but a big time like Bayern would rather sit deep and not give Liverpools front 3 any space than go attack a weakened Liverpool defence

Its quite amazing how far we have come under Klopp ,
    Is there any team in Europe teams fear more In the away leg than us ?

Fans upset we drew 0-0 with Bayern and quite comfortably we have come a long way ,

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Flyer29

True. But if this new found respect is going to lead to teams setting up to defend deep and frustrate us then it’s respect we could do without because we struggle badly against those types of set ups.

It will be very interesting to see what Ole has in store for us on Sunday. The blue print on how to get a result off us was there for all to see last night, was surprised Munich didn’t go for it a bit more in the second half as we were doing very little to trouble them

A lot of people saying Bayern should have attacked more. Maybe they should, but it would have played into our hands to have more space.

They'll attack more in the second leg., no doubt about that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Last night was just how Bayern play. Hold the ball and probe a bit, recycle and start again if the probe doesn't work.
    You can see that in the first half, they probed down the right. They started playing balls from the left over to Gnabry for him to try do something.
    Second half, they couldn't do it and were looking for other ways through us.

Second leg, I wouldn't expect anything different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I've watched Klopp for years, is there an argument to be had that the high intensity, his pressing game he plays comes back to bite him at the latter end of the season.

Especially with the recent injuries and rotation not being achievable?

I don't know I'm sure someone has stats to say Liverpool are running just as much, but last night I thought Bayern countered the press very easily and played out from the back time and time again, the 3 forwards pushed up but Bayern had space in behind them as the Liverpool midfielders sat a bit deeper. However, maybe that's just the nerves of a European tie and not wanting to expose themselves to a counter.

Interesting either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Flyer29 wrote: »
    True. But if this new found respect is going to lead to teams setting up to defend deep and frustrate us then it’s respect we could do without because we struggle badly against those types of set ups.

It will be very interesting to see what Ole has in store for us on Sunday. The blue print on how to get a result off us was there for all to see last night, was surprised Munich didn’t go for it a bit more in the second half as we were doing very little to trouble them

Why do people keep saying this?

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Last night was just how Bayern play. Hold the ball and probe a bit, recycle and start again if the probe doesn't work.
    You can see that in the first half, they probed down the right. They started playing balls from the left over to Gnabry for him to try do something.
    Second half, they couldn't do it and were looking for other ways through us.

Second leg, I wouldn't expect anything different.
    Ah, slightly disagree, they played possession as a means to nullify you, their midfielders purposely sat deeper and this was evident in the gap between them and their 9.

I think at home they play the ball forward significantly more instead of retention for the sake of it, yes they probe but last night was a whole different ball game of stifling your momentum and attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Flyer29 wrote: »

That is where Liverpool missed Ox last night someone with pace running from midfield.

Alonso77 wrote: »
    Why do people keep saying this?

Its kind of true, you're a team with burst capability with perhaps the most menacing front line in the premier league, but it requires wide open spaces to exploit. You're not a team who gets to the byline and crosses for headers with a packed box, you rely on quick expansive football with space in behind to open teams up.

Is their a midfielder in your team like a Silva/KDB who can unlock a defence? I'd argue thats why you struggle against teams who sit deep and give up little space in behind.

Good ones mind you that have excellent defenders like Hummels you can read a game, not bad ones like Duffy playing for Brighton.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement