Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Its kind of true, you're a team with burst capability with perhaps the most menacing front line in the premier league, but it requires wide open spaces to exploit. You're not a team who gets to the byline and crosses for headers with a packed box, you rely on quick expansive football with space in behind to open teams up.

Is their a midfielder in your team like a Silva/KDB who can unlock a defence? I'd argue thats why you struggle against teams who sit deep and give up little space in behind.

Good ones mind you that have excellent defenders like Hummels you can read a game, not bad ones like Duffy playing for Brighton.

Struggle badly was the phrase used and its plainly just not true this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I've watched Klopp for years, is there an argument to be had that the high intensity, his pressing game he plays comes back to bite him at the latter end of the season.

Especially with the recent injuries and rotation not being achievable?

I don't know I'm sure someone has stats to say Liverpool are running just as much, but last night I thought Bayern countered the press very easily and played out from the back time and time again, the 3 forwards pushed up but Bayern had space in behind them as the Liverpool midfielders sat a bit deeper. However, maybe that's just the nerves of a European tie and not wanting to expose themselves to a counter.

Interesting either way.

We have significantly reduced the pressing this season and changes where the press begins. Last season it was the front three, this season it's the midfield 3 doing the majority of it.

The front three now close space but don't engage the defenders as much. They allow the pass into midfield where Gini, Milner, Kieta (whoever is the closest) then press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

People forget we had MAtip and Fab as our center backs,

It effects the whole team,

Firstly they don't keep as high a line,
    VVD isn't screaming instruction's at everyone , full backs stay home more for protection thus not giving our front 3 a ball out wide which in turn allows Bayern to sit narrow at the back ,
    The centre mids sit deeper to protect , the whole dynamic of the game changes ,

VVD gets huge credit but he is more important than even all the praise he gets suggests
    Its not just with what he does in terms of his own skills but what he allows the rest of the team to do ,

And all that's all before taking into account we missed Fab himself in midfield.,

I've watched Klopp for years, is there an argument to be had that the high intensity, his pressing game he plays comes back to bite him at the latter end of the season.

I don't know I'm sure someone has stats to say Liverpool are running just as much, but last night I thought Bayern countered the press very easily and played out from the back time and time again, the 3 forwards pushed up but Bayern had space in behind them as the Liverpool midfielders sat a bit deeper. However, maybe that's just the nerves of a European tie and not wanting to expose themselves to a counter.

Interesting either way.

Liverpool haven't been high intenstity this season though :confused:

Clear change this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Its kind of true, you're a team with burst capability with perhaps the most menacing front line in the premier league, but it requires wide open spaces to exploit. You're not a team who gets to the byline and crosses for headers with a packed box, you rely on quick expansive football with space in behind to open teams up.

Is their a midfielder in your team like a Silva/KDB who can unlock a defence? I'd argue thats why you struggle against teams who sit deep and give up little space in behind.

Good ones mind you that have excellent defenders like Hummels you can read a game, not bad ones like Duffy playing for Brighton.

Only dropped 13 points all season, after 26 games.

Think they're doing alright thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    A lot of people saying Bayern should have attacked more. Maybe they should, but it would have played into our hands to have more space.

They'll attack more in the second leg., no doubt about that.

They didnt have a single shot on target. Very clear what their plan was and very well executed.

Alonso77 wrote: »
    Why do people keep saying this?

People who have a passing interest in the subject, and might pick up snippets from media usually come out with this sort of stuff. Hear something and just run with it as fact :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I
    I don't know I'm sure someone has stats to say Liverpool are running just as much, but last night I thought Bayern countered the press very easily and played out from the back time and time again, .

I didn't feel this was the case at all last night. I lost count of the number of times Bayern surrendered possession from our pressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Drawing to the current 6 time consecutive Bundesliga champions 0-0 in the first leg of a champions league last 16 game is now a bad result. Damm.

• Advertisement

I've watched Klopp for years, is there an argument to be had that the high intensity, his pressing game he plays comes back to bite him at the latter end of the season.............

This season there's been much less of that.

How good is Fabhino ?

The guys seems to have the character of a winner, I just hope the injuries ease up now and we can have him in the midfield week in week out ,
    Keita should be looking at Fab and thinking im going do the same get the head down work hard and become one of the first names on the team sheet,

To be fair to keita last few weeks you can see the improvements even if as a team we have been off form ,

Augeo wrote: »
    This season there's been much less of that.

We have 100% changed our press which is one of the reasons we have become better defensively,

I think the high press was a way to keep teams away from our back four
    Now we are solid at the back so don't need to be pressing so high and wasting energy,

But I wonder with 10 games to go will we go back to full on press and really go for it ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

How good is Fabhino ?

The guys seems to have the character of a winner, I just hope the injuries ease up now and we can have him in the midfield week in week out ,
    Keita should be looking at Fab and thinking im going do the same get the head down work hard and become one of the first names on the team sheet,

To be fair to keita last few weeks you can see the improvements even if as a team we have been off form ,

Good enough not to be loaned out to PSG!
    We have 100% changed our press which is one of the reasons we have become better defensively,

I think the high press was a way to keep teams away from our back four
    Now we are solid at the back so don't need to be pressing so high and wasting energy,

But I wonder with 10 games to go will we go back to full on press and really go for it ,

If Liverpool fall behind then Klopp will have to release the hounds but otherwise I suspect the tactical ploy will be to remain controlled first and foremost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Interesting either way.

Watching Klopp for years but it doesn't sounds like you've been watching them this season.

How was there fitness last season at the end when they powered their way to a CL final and sealed top 4 qualification.

Also, you're completely ignoring what Munich did last night which was to be very tight at the back and any team would struggle against that set up.

I'd expect the 2nd leg to be very different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

My favourite part of match was Lovern

749c08945c6c02d09110f440a896010c.png

• Advertisement

Looks like a Jedi :D

Good enough not to be loaned out to PSG!

If Liverpool fall behind then Klopp will have to release the hounds but otherwise I suspect the tactical ploy will be to remain controlled first and foremost.

Was that PSG ever even a ting or just a lazy paper story ?

Looks like a Jedi :D

He will in a minute when I photoshop him:P

749c08945c6c02d09110f440a896010c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just him going damn i am now behind fab for CB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Interesting either way.

Liverpool have not been pressing all that much this season. I think at Christmas they were only mid table in a table released of how much Premier League teams have pressed this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Was that PSG ever even a ting or just a lazy paper story ?

Well he did respond to it on social media (or his wife did I forget) so it was real but unreal on the part of PSG or someone doing their bidding in the media.
    749c08945c6c02d09110f440a896010c.jpg

This is not the defender you were looking for.

Well he did respond to it on social media (or his wife did I forget) so it was real but unreal on the part of PSG or someone doing their bidding in the media.

I'm sure there was a number of fans that would have been very happy to see Fab loaned out or sold before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

I thought Liverpool were very bad last night. The defence obviously played a part in this - but something just seems a little off lately....

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    I thought Liverpool were very bad last night. The defence obviously played a part in this - but something just seems a little off lately....

A bit of the Arsenal syndrome of late, pass pass pass. Even when in the box we pass instead of working keeper, we refused to strike on goal last night numerous times, I hate that. At least Coutinho would shoot multiple times a game, Firmino would pass one yard out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Its quite amazing how far we have come under Klopp ,
    Is there any team in Europe teams fear more In the away leg than us ?

We scored 24 in 7 at Anfield last season and 47 overall in the competition (a record I think). We put 3 past PSG and 4 past Red Star in the group stages. It makes sense for them to fear conceding alright. Only team to get away with a 0-0 last year was a Porto side already 0-5 down on aggregate when we rested the likes of Salah and van Dijk. Bayern executed their gameplan well, they were celebrating a 0-0 at the final whistle. This is a team who have been to 6 Champions League semi-finals in the past 7 seasons. We've come a long way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well I didn't. I thought Bayern Munich were excellent, played out from the back as well as any side that have played Liverpool during Klopp's reign and were extremely well disciplined and obdurate at the back. It was a fine performance, and you don't play football in a vacuum.

Liverpool had the edge in possession, territory, chances, game flow. But it was far from a bad overall performance, considering we were missing our best player. There were individual bum notes sure, but not much of a stretch to point at technically / physically gifted opponents playing well and applying pressure as reasons for same.

0 - 0 at home is certainly not a great result, but it's far from a terrible one. The performance was solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Flyer29

How do we feel we’ll set up in midfield this weekend?

Obviously good performances from Keita and Henderson last night and Wijnaldum probably one of the first names on the team sheet nowadays.

But Fabinho’s been great for us and there’s also a chance he could opt for his old reliable Milner.

Gonna be interesting to see what he goes with

but something just seems a little off lately....

Yea you should probably get the old eyes checked there. Sounds like your seeing things.

Flyer29 wrote: »
    How do we feel we’ll set up in midfield this weekend?

Obviously good performances from Keita and Henderson last night and Wijnaldum probably one of the first names on the team sheet nowadays.

But Fabinho’s been great for us and there’s also a chance he could opt for his old reliable Milner.

Gonna be interesting to see what he goes with

Keita was middling at best --- reading a lot of neutral commentary elsewhere and his performance was described as poor... I wonder how much blinkers come into affect when looking at Liverpool play.

He's getting there but still has a lot to do.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Well I didn't. I thought Bayern Munich were excellent, played out from the back as well as any side that have played Liverpool during Klopp's reign and were extremely well disciplined and obdurate at the back. It was a fine performance, and you don't play football in a vacuum.

Liverpool had the edge in possession, territory, chances, game flow. But it was far from a bad overall performance, considering we were missing our best player. There were individual bum notes sure, but not much of a stretch to point at technically / physically gifted opponents playing well and applying pressure as reasons for same.

0 - 0 at home is certainly not a great result, but it's far from a terrible one. The performance was solid.

I've said earlier that Munich were top notch - the two are not exclusive --- Liverpool huffed and puffed a bit but Munich had their number. Salah being so drastically off killed the team - I thought Klopp should have taken him off.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Yea you should probably get the old eyes checked there. Sounds like your seeing things.

Really? - L1 D3 W1 is the form line --- It's not being negative to say the team are not firing on all cylinders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Drawing to the current 6 time consecutive Bundesliga champions 0-0 in the first leg of a champions league last 16 game is now a bad result. Damm.

Well teams have thought a 0-0 at home in the first leg was a good result and found out it wasn't
    Those missed chan he's for Mane could haunt your team in Munich.
    Also noticed the atmosphere was a bit flat last night, any particular reason for that? Would've thought Bayern might crack in a more adverse and hostile environment

brinty wrote: »
    Well teams have thought a 0-0 at home in the first leg was a good result and found out it wasn't
    Also noticed the atmosphere was a bit flat last night, any particular reason for that? Would've thought Bayern might crack in a more adverse and hostile environment

Too many Irish and Norwegians getting their hands on tickets. Like Londers and Old Trafford - locals being ousted by out of towners.

We're you at the game? All the games are coming across as flat on TV for the last year or so and not just the ones in Anfield. It's like the microphones are turned down (maybe to many sensitive people complaining to broadcasters about cursing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Firmino would pass one yard out.

Yep, here is is looking for someone to pass it to then ****ing up and scoring a goal!

Roberto-Firmino-1664350.jpg?r=1546108132072

PhuckHugh wrote:
    Too many Irish and Norwegians getting their hands on tickets. Like Londers and Old Trafford - locals being ousted by out of towners.

Where someone is from shouldn't dictate atmosphere. I'm Leinster born (mother is from Munster) but put me in Thomond Park I'm as Red as any Munster born fan. You get behind your team no matter what

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Where someone is from shouldn't dictate atmosphere. I'm Leinster born (mother is from Munster) but put me in Thomond Park I'm as Red as any Munster born fan. You get behind your team no matter what

I was at the Leicester game back in January, probably the first time comments over the atmosphere at the ground was raised. I was surrounded by what seemed like many day trippers and occasional visitor's. There was one scouser beside me and he made the most noise. Any songs etc or attempt to get behind the team came mainly from the kop. Fill the stadium with locals and you would have a completely different atmosphere. Due to popularity and widespread promotion of the Premier league around the world its the way the game has gone over the last decade.

Let’s see can a Liverpool player have their 61 minutes in Munich in the second leg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Wheety wrote: »
    Only dropped 13 points all season, after 26 games.

Think they're doing alright thanks.

No doubt, and deserving of their position. It's not a snipe but you achieve results in a different manner. And the 13 points dropped all season is not against opposition akin to Bayern who are seasoned veterans in big champions league nights and know exactly what to do to get a result.

cmac2009 wrote:
    I was at the Leicester game back in January, probably the first time comments over the atmosphere at the ground was raised. I was surrounded by what seemed like many day trippers and occasional visitor's. There was one scouser beside me and he made the most noise. Any songs etc or attempt to get behind the team came mainly from the kop. Fill the stadium with locals and you would have a completely different atmosphere. Due to popularity and widespread promotion of the Premier league around the world its the way the game has gone over the last decade.

Not trying to be funny but aren't you and all Irish fans day trippers in effect. Whenever I'm in OT doesn't stop me singing my heart it no matter where I am and who's around me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Anything to back this up?

I'd say most season ticket holders are locals?

Also, how do you explain the nights when the atmosphere is great?

Irish and Norwegians can sing and cheer as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Not trying to be funny but aren't you and all Irish fans day trippers in effect. Whenever I'm in OT doesn't stop me singing my heart it no matter where I am and who's around me

Agreed. Including myself within that group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Hummels in the post match interview said that Bayern deliberately reacted to any stirring of the crowd by just farting about with the ball to calm things down and strangle the flow of the game good and proper, and therefore also the crowd and any chance of Liverpool getting into whirlwind crazy attacking mode (me paraphrasing there a little!).

To be honest it sortof reminded me of the last 2 Madrid visits to Munich where the likes of Casamiro and Ramos would writhe on the ground with agony from a Bayern player just looking at them in order to stop the home team getting any sort of flow. That was very frustrating at the time..... but look who won the bloody cup at the end of it !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I'm sure there was a number of fans that would have been very happy to see Fab loaned out or sold before Christmas.

Proof or just an "i told u so" point scoring exercise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

A bit of the Arsenal syndrome of late, pass pass pass. Even when in the box we pass instead of working keeper, we refused to strike on goal last night numerous times, I hate that. At least Coutinho would shoot multiple times a game, Firmino would pass one yard out.

Want to walk the ball into the net a bit. A lot of big matches are decided by half chances from long range. Sturridge vs chelsea,gerrard vs west ham and olmpiakos,etc

The game last night was also the first time in 4 years Munich didn’t have a shot on target in a champions league game according to the BBC.

The game last night was also the first time in 4 years Munich didn’t have a shot on target in a champions league game according to the BBC.

But according to people they didn't want to shot at the target:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

murpho999 wrote: »
    Anything to back this up?

I'd say most season ticket holders are locals?

Also, how do you explain the nights when the atmosphere is great?

Irish and Norwegians can sing and cheer as well.

The atmosphere was ok last night, but there was definitely anxiety creeping in. A lot of the usual songs petered out early because of the tension of the crowd, I don't think it was down to the nationality or anything else of the fans in attendance, moreso related to the fact that it was a tight game and from early on we continually ruined good breaks with poor final balls. That's why the crowd started getting annoyed with the Kop really getting on the backs of players like Trent and Matip's late shots from distance.

So would you lads take a point now at old Trafford or do you think we can win ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement