Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

So would you lads take a point now at old Trafford or do you think we can win ?

I wouldn't take a draw if offered right now. We're good enough to win, who doesn't think we can win?? I'm by no means saying we will, but we're certainly capable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

So would you lads take a point now at old Trafford or do you think we can win ?

A point at Old Trafford is never a bad result. They are giving up a decent amount of chances though in most games so I think we will score.

Pogba is playing very well and if Fabby plays in DM it'll be Henderson/Gini/Millie/Whoever to get in and around him and not give him any time on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

i'd be happy with a draw myself but I think we can give them a beating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

No doubt, and deserving of their position. It's not a snipe but you achieve results in a different manner. And the 13 points dropped all season is not against opposition akin to Bayern who are seasoned veterans in big champions league nights and know exactly what to do to get a result.

Maybe not Bayern but 5 were dropped to City, 2 away to Chelsea, 2 away to Arsenal.

The other 4 were dropped to Leicester and West Ham recently.

Won every other game in the league. To say they haven't been breaking down stubborn opponents is just wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Augeo wrote: »
    This season there's been much less of that.

I wouldn't rule out the implications a mid week champions league have on mind and body. The adrenaline and anticipation of last nights game alone probably takes a day or two to come down from, it was a big occasion last night.

Interesting you guys are favorites and Ole has a free shot here at the win. I personally think it will be a draw going for 1-1 which i'd be very happy with as a united fan.

There is a lot left to play in the season and dropping points here even if its a loss will not define any ones season (except Ole) who may get the job with a win.

I wouldn't rule out the implications a mid week champions league have on mind and body. The adrenaline and anticipation of last nights game alone probably takes a day or two to come down from, it was a big occasion last night.

Interesting you guys are favorites and Ole has a free shot here at the win. I personally think it will be a draw going for 1-1 which i'd be very happy with as a united fan.

There is a lot left to play in the season and dropping points here even if its a loss will not define any ones season (except Ole) who may get the job with a win.

At least it shouldn't be boring.

***Shudders at the thought of Red Monday***

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

brinty wrote: »
    Well teams have thought a 0-0 at home in the first leg was a good result and found out it wasn't
    Those missed chan he's for Mane could haunt your team in Munich.
    Also noticed the atmosphere was a bit flat last night, any particular reason for that? Would've thought Bayern might crack in a more adverse and hostile environment

I would say its more to do with TV companies lowering stadium audio on the feeds to have commentators heard properly.

RTE & BT defn did it last night.

I switched to one of the American stations (they were using the EUFA feed) and they stadium quality was much louder

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I would say its more to do with TV companies lowering stadium audio on the feeds to have commentators heard properly.

RTE & BT defn did it last night.

I switched to one of the American stations (they were using the EUFA feed) and they stadium quality was much louder

RTE having the studio lads talking over the game when the commentary went down for the last 5-10 mins was incredibly annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I thought we were the better side but Bayern are more happy with the result than we were and they should be. Plenty of times they cut out the final pass or made the tackle to stop us from getting in but we still ended up with Mane, Matip and Salah with chances they should have scored but all three missed the target from a few yards out.

Our run to the final last year we finished the tie in the first leg, 5-0, 3-0, 5-2. They've been to the semi finals five times in the last six years, they know how to get through these games and they're not going to allow themselves be out of it in the first leg. We're a very good team and everyone knows it now, and the best teams are not going to set up to allow us play to our strengths. I'm confident we can score and think if all fit Klopp goes with a more solid midfield of Gini, Hendo, Fabinho as we'll likely have less of the ball. Will be a tight game but I'll look forward to it.

Now bring on United and I wouldn't take a draw right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Weepsie wrote: »
    RTE having the studio lads talking over the game when the commentary went down for the last 5-10 mins was incredibly annoying.

Not as annoying as Ray "Should have went" Houghton talking too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Next summers (July) preseason set for America and not Asia with the first game to be in Boston.

Might be a bit of both, as I say it was noticeably flatter than games like PSG, Roma and City in the past year. It was a little disappointing to be honest but it might also be the tension with the league games being so important in people's minds. This time last year it was our only show in town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Well Utd have to win as well for 2 reasons :

1) To get 4th place

2) To show they can win a big match under Ole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Most defensive Bayern team in years and we still had 3 glorious chances.. some of our play in the first half was joyous.

I was on about this season in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Weepsie wrote: »

I was praying for a goal so all the nonsense being spoken would be null & void

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I'd take a point on Sunday, 4 from 6 against them a good return. We can beat them and probably should but we've an awful record there and against them in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

I just wish Giles was on RTE....just last night btw, and someone to turn around and ask him his opinion on Hendersons performance....he was excellent.....and Giles doesnt rate him:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

ebbsy wrote: »

1) To get 4th place

They beat Spurs and Chelsea away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    I thought Liverpool were very bad last night. The defence obviously played a part in this - but something just seems a little off lately....

honestly, this is nonsense.

'very bad' is utter hyperbole and completely disrespectful to a Bayern side who came to a job, and did it brilliantly. the idea that Bayern are a poor side - one many bought into - is laughable.

they slowed the game down, keeping the ball in tough areas when needed, not doing anything foolish, and putting in some superb blocks on many occasions.

they aren't a vintage Bayern team, but they haven't become duds all of a sudden. for the love of Christ, they've Neuer, Hummels, Lewandowski, Martinez, Alaba, James - players who have been winners with them, other clubs, as well as national teams. they know what they're doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

4th choice CB with a CM partner. I really thought Bayern would test us, they'll be happy with that result sure but they didn't once try to attack our glaring weakness it was a bit unexpected to be honest. Lewandowski is one of the best around.

We'll have Van Dijk back, Fab into midfield and they will be without Kimmich for the 2nd leg. We got loads of chances last night in that first half with them sitting deep, we'll get even more joy when they push up at home.

I'm not even slightly worried, we have every chance to go through still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Not sure if it’s been posted yet but Neuer has 70 touches last night. The most he’s ever had in the Champions League (Opta).

I’m happy enough with the result tbh. Bayern were a lot better then I expected and handled the occasion perfectly. They were extremely disciplined and defensive. They won’t be like that in the second leg and missing Kimmich is a big blow for them. Can’t see us not scoring over there and we’ll have VVD back. We can’t beat every side 3/4 - 0 at home in CL.

Side note, Henderson was fantastic, delighted for him. I have always felt if he was Spanish or Italian he’d be rated much more. In the big CL games he is tidy and brings so much energy.

One last thing. The YNWA before the game was one of the best I’ve ever heard. Goosebump stuff and always makes me feel grateful that I support Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Most defensive Bayern team in years and we still had 3 glorious chances.. some of our play in the first half was joyous.

3? Apart from the mane chance i dont think there was too many glaeing oppurtunities. Brian is fried though

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Flyer29

Off the top of my head, Salah’s header from Trent’s cross was a great opportunity too.

Also Keita put a through ball through to Mane and Mane struck just left of the post, not a clear opportunity to be fair but he had Robertson coming in from the left to use aswell.

To be fair we were decent in the first half. Just dropped off a bit in the second half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Mo header, mane swivel,matip from 5 yards ,all first half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Mature performance last night. Team is getting used to big game pressure. Impressed by Fabinho. Probably Liverpool's 3rd best CB at this stage tbh.

Tough game against Utd at the weekend. No pressure on them so pretty much a free swing for Utd. Will be bonus for them to dent Liverpool's title challenge.

Interested to see if Keita starts again or gets replaced by Fabinho stepping into CM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

No pressure on United? Sure there is, they'll wanna stay top 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Lovren is out for the game on sunday. At this stage I think it's time we sell him this summer. He's now only played 30% of our total minutes this season. Himself and Matip just cannot stay fit for a prolong period of time.

I think we should go all out for a young powerful centre half this summer. Lascelles is a top player but would cost a bomb due to being young and English.

Koulibaly would be fantastic but I reckon he will go for Van Dijk type money.

Grayditch wrote: »
    No pressure on United? Sure there is, they'll wanna stay top 4.

You think Chelsea or Arsenal will string together results to match Utds form under Solskjaer? No chance. Utd will stroll to top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

ricero wrote: »
    Lovren is out for the game on sunday. At this stage I think it's time we sell him this summer. He's now only played 30% of our total minutes this season. Himself and Matip just cannot stay fit for a prolong period of time.

I think we should go all out for a young powerful centre half this summer. Lascelles is a top player but would cost a bomb due to being young and English.

Meh. I remember being excited at the prospect of another young English CB in Michael Keane but he's been very poor at Everton. I imagine there's no shortage of young, non-English CBs we have our eyes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Lascelles is not a top player, I’d hope we stay well away from him. I never miss a Newcastle match when they’re on telly and I can tell you for certain he’s not a smart defender, very shaky. He can be a great last ditch defender (which conveniently covers up his poor positioning) which makes him look good on YouTube or MOTD, but fundamentally he’s not great tbh.

Given that he’s English, the likes of De Ligt or Koulibaly probably wouldn’t cost even twice as much as him, and they’re five times the player he is so if we are spending big on a partner for Virgil (though I don’t expect us to), a proven world class centre half is the only job. Lascelles is the defensive equivalent of the Andy Carroll signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

And we should pay it too. CB boxed for years with them two and Gomez

I like Nathan Aké at Bournemouth more than Lascelles

Or Schindler at Huddersfield as a cheap Klavan when they go down

8-10 wrote: »
    I like Nathan Aké at Bournemouth more than Lascelles

Or Schindler at Huddersfield as a cheap Klavan when they go down

Dream bigger!

dmigsy wrote: »
    Dream bigger!

How about Aleksandar Vukotic? He's 6'8", don't think we'd get anyone bigger :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

superg wrote: »
    And we should pay it too. CB boxed for years with them two and Gomez

Not doubting the quality of the player but I think blowing most of our transfer budget on him would probably not be the best use of resources given there will be players leaving in the Summer and other probably more pressing positions to fill.

dmigsy wrote: »
    Dream bigger!

We're looking for squad players. I'm all for top signings but is not a priority position for me other than getting in a backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Sturridge has just presented a Brit award for Best British Solo artist.

That’s a bit odd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

corcaigh07 wrote: »

That’s a bit odd?

He's into the old hippity hop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well he's been playing for himself for years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

corcaigh07 wrote: »

That’s a bit odd?

He has his own record label, which is apparently actually quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

4 trophies indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well if and it's a very big if they get knocked the league will be there only focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

ebbsy wrote: »

1) To get 4th place

As I said, a loss here for either team does not define a season

I would also argue that beating spurs away from home in the league, Arsenal away in the FA Cup and winning at the bridge for the first time since 2012 against the cup holders is pretty big wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Is Chamberlain going out with one of the birds from pick n mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

niallo27 wrote: »
    Is Chamberlain going out with one of the birds from pick n mix.

Yeah I think it’s Perri :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Yeah I think it’s Perri :)

Nobody can resist that stache.

perri-min.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

If you have BT Sport get recording tonight from 2am 4 hours of Liverpool programming from 70's and 80's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Odd that someone who watches a lot of Klopp would have no clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Well he's been playing for himself for years!

A case of tunnel vision? :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement