Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Not doubting the quality of the player but I think blowing most of our transfer budget on him would probably not be the best use of resources given there will be players leaving in the Summer and other probably more pressing positions to fill.

If it was our entire budget maybe but who's to stay it will be and given our other 3 CBs are injury prone and unreliable when fit I'd say it is a pressing position to be looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Great result for us tonight if it stays the same - looked like City were putting out a team to try to put the tie to bed tonight away, with 5 out and out attackers, and its backfired a bit. Now they'll have to really focus on that return leg, but with a draw they should still really get through at home.

The further they go, the better for us, and if they have to really work for it, even better!

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Great result for us tonight if it stays the same - looked like City were putting out a team to try to put the tie to bed tonight away, with 5 out and out attackers, and its backfired a bit. Now they'll have to really focus on that return leg, but with a draw they should still really get through at home.

The further they go, the better for us, and if they have to really work for it, even better!

Jinx!

superg wrote: »
    Jinx!

I don't know WHAT you're talking about, my post definitely never mentioned anything about a loss, and i definitely didn't sneak back with a swift edit!

Draw, or loss though, it's all the same.... I just wanted them to still have a game on their hands in the second leg, which they will now.

They will but 2 away goals, not like they need to win the home game.

• Advertisement

superg wrote: »
    They will but 2 away goals, not like they need to win the home game.

Doens't really matter. I want them to go through. I just didn't want it to be easy. Had today been a 3-0 or something (as i'd feared), they'd have been able to rest a few players and focus on the league - now they have to field a full strength team and make sure they're not caught out.

<edit> Bah, a-feckin-nother one!

Well, at least it's still close... (cue City knocking in 3 more).

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Flyer29

A few rumours doing the rounds that Mané’s house was burgled during the game last night

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Odd that someone who watches a lot of Klopp would have no clue.

I say he actually meant he watches very little of Klopp because that's what the accuracy of the post suggests.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

~Rebel~ wrote: »

What about Liverpool in the CL?

Chesty08 wrote: »
    What about Liverpool in the CL?

Well however far we get we'll have to face good teams regardless. For the novelty i'd rather play a Real or a Barca or something over them, but I'm not any more bothered by them than any other european giant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    I say he actually meant he watches very little of Klopp because that's what the accuracy of the post suggests.

That would make more sense but I think it was just an attempt to add some validity to his swipe at Klopp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I wondered how City won, now I know.

I wondered how City won, now I know.

sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Flyer29 wrote: »
    A few rumours doing the rounds that Mané’s house was burgled during the game last night

Not a rumour it was broken into.

That’s the second time his home has been robbed while he has been playing a Champions League game for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That’s the second time his home has been robbed while he has been playing a Champions League game for Liverpool.

Hate to be the one that says it but the players are paid a fortune they should be easily able to have round the clock security

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Should’ve left Virgil guarding it, nobody gets past him and it’s not like he was doing anything else last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

rob316 wrote: »
    Hate to be the one that says it but the players are paid a fortune they should be easily able to have round the clock security

Not a nice way to live your life. Always in fear and in need of security.

Was Gerrard's house not broken into years ago on CL night with his wife in the house at the time ?

Damien360 wrote: »

Was Gerrard's house not broken into years ago on CL night with his wife in the house at the time ?

Lovren's house was as well, while his wife and kids were home, last year against Maribor.

There was a spell of homes robbed/burgled during the Benitez CL era.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

SlickRic wrote: »
    honestly, this is nonsense.

'very bad' is utter hyperbole and completely disrespectful to a Bayern side who came to a job, and did it brilliantly. the idea that Bayern are a poor side - one many bought into - is laughable.

they slowed the game down, keeping the ball in tough areas when needed, not doing anything foolish, and putting in some superb blocks on many occasions.

they aren't a vintage Bayern team, but they haven't become duds all of a sudden. for the love of Christ, they've Neuer, Hummels, Lewandowski, Martinez, Alaba, James - players who have been winners with them, other clubs, as well as national teams. they know what they're doing.

I'm not taking away from Bayern at all - the two are not exclusive of each other- i've stated Bayern did an excellent job .... Liverpool's passing / touch was very poor - multiple players were poor on this front. The closed down and harried well and got a few lucky breaks - I thought they played poorly and feel the team havent been the same since Christmas - for a number of reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Damien360 wrote: »

Rich and famous people need security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Very good interview with Van Dijk

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p071h7d2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

MD1990 wrote: »
    Very good interview with Van Dijk

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p071h7d2

He likes Coldplay. Illusions shattered.

Footballers have notoriously bad taste in music and footwear. Just look at the types who turn up for Soccer Aid games :D.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I saw a picture of Oxlade-Chamberlain at the Brit awards (or one of those type of thing) with his missus, and he was dressed like Doc Brown in the year 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

rob316 wrote: »

Yeh I dont get this and I dont understand why clubs/agents dont educate players a bit more about it.

There is actually a niche market for somebody to get into. Lets say the average EPL player earns 5 million per year, 1% of this is 50k per annum. So If you have an average of 20 players on this average salary thats 1million a year. A security firm could protect all 20 top players homes and make 1 million? Whats not to like, everybody wins !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Jesus this city side are showing some grit 2-1 down last night down to 10 men that’s some effort
    Have to hand it to them more or less in last 8 of champions league last 8 of the fa cup, final of the league cup and top of the league
    Regardless of what money was spent that is some achievement

The BBC Football Daily podcast has a 40 minute interview with VVD, Balligue does the interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/02/21/premier-league-big-six-goalkeeper-analysis-hugo-lloris-making/

Article here on goalkeeping performance - shots saved vs XG. Interesting that using that metric, Lloris is the best in the league this season with Fabianski second and Alisson third. Kepa, Schmeichel, Begovic and Lossl the bottom four.

Obviously depends on what weight you want to put on XG as a stat whether you take it seriously but it says, essentially, that Lloris has saved 8 shots that should have gone in, while Alisson has saved 4.8. Kepa is conceding shots that he should be saving and Etheridge and Ederson are around the middle, saving basically everything they should save and not much else.
    Alisson has saved 4.8 goals that should have gone in, while De Gea's differential is 3.1, the fifth best in the league.

A look at these two keepers' save maps suggests it is better to aim low against Alisson, while strikers are more likely to beat De Gea when shooting higher into the net, possibly because the Spaniard is so effective at saving shots with his feet.

One player who has not contributed enough to City's attempts to hunt down Liverpool is Ederson, whose xGoT differential stands at just 0.7, meaning he is performing only marginally better than average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/02/21/premier-league-big-six-goalkeeper-analysis-hugo-lloris-making/

Article here on goalkeeping performance - shots saved vs XG. Interesting that using that metric, Lloris is the best in the league this season with Fabianski second and Alisson third. Kepa, Schmeichel, Begovic and Lossl the bottom four.

Obviously depends on what weight you want to put on XG as a stat whether you take it seriously but it says, essentially, that Lloris has saved 8 shots that should have gone in, while Alisson has saved 4.8. Kepa is conceding shots that he should be saving and Etheridge and Ederson are around the middle, saving basically everything they should save and not much else.

Lloris has had a fair few blunders as well though that led to goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Jesus this city side are showing some grit 2-1 down last night down to 10 men that’s some effort
    Have to hand it to them more or less in last 8 of champions league last 8 of the fa cup, final of the league cup and top of the league
    Regardless of what money was spent that is some achievement

Great side alright.

But they have had so many easy ties in all 3 competitions.

Beat Leicester there toughest game only on penalties.

Bigging up City on the Liverpool thread....is this some sort of reverse jinx?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Just read some quotes from Kovac where he admitted that Martinez didn't have cramp but was pretending to slow down our momentum.

I know it happens in games, it's obvious Martinez was doing it, but admitting it is another story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Just read some quotes from Kovac where he admitted that Martinez didn't have cramp but was pretending to slow down our momentum.

I know it happens in games, it's obvious Martinez was doing it, but admitting it is another story.

It was all Bayern were doing in the last 20 mins anything to slow the game down.

Sure remember on off them went down holding their back but was also off the pitch seen that the ref was not going to stop play and was up sprinting back down the wing as Liverpool were on the attack

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

MD1990 wrote: »
    Great side alright.

But they have had so many easy ties in all 3 competitions.

Beat Leicester there toughest game only on penalties.

United Everton & Liverpool all gone in EFL Cup 4th round, the round before they drew Leicester, in the same round Arsenal went out, easy semi final draw alright.

Liverpool our in FA Cup 3rd round, Arsenal & Spurs our in round 4, Chelsea out in round 5.

The only English team in pot 1 of the Champions League so that was always going to be favourable.

Unless they were to draw the big guns in the opening 2 rounds, the cup draws for them the same as any other of the top 6 if you replaced them with City was going to be easy on paper also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I hope City win every other game this season and trophy as long as we win the league.

The way I see it is the more games they have to play the better chance we have.

ricero wrote: »
    I hope City win every other game this season and trophy as long as we win the league.

Depending on their Champions League 1/4 draw that 10-14 days will be make or break in one competition, they have the 2 legs of the 1/4 final a potential FA Cup semi final & Spurs & United in the league. Be a massive fortnight that.

Edit: should of mentioned the United game is likely to be scheduled in that time frame but not confirmed yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

gstack166 wrote: »
    Depending on their Champions League 1/4 draw that 10-14 days will be make or break in one competition, they have the 2 legs of the 1/4 final a potential FA Cup semi final & Spurs & United in the league. Be a massive fortnight that.

Ah jayus your back. Hadn't seen you since the Mahrez debate!!

TitianGerm wrote: »

I’ve been snooping ;)

Date Liverpool Man City
    24th Feb Man Utd (a) Chelsea EFL Cup Final
    27th Feb Watford West Ham
    2nd Mar Bournemouth (a)
    3rd Mar Everton (a)
    9th Mar Watford
    10th Mar Burnley
    12th Mar Shalke 04 (GER)
    13th Mar Bayern München (GER) (a)
    16th Mar Swansea (a)
    17th Mar Fulham (a)
    30th Mar Fulham (a)
    31st Mar Spurs
    6th Apr Southampton (a) Cardiff/FA Cup Semi Final
    9th Apr UCL QF 1st Leg UCL QF 1st Leg
    14th Apr Chelsea Palace (a)
    16th Apr UCL QF 2nd Leg UCL QF 2nd Leg
    20th Apr Cardiff (a) Spurs
    27th Apr Huddersfield Burnley (a)
    30th Apr UCL SF 1st Leg UCL SF 1st Leg
    4th May Newcastle (a) Leicester
    7th May UCL SF 2nd Leg UCL SF 2nd Leg
    12th May Wolves Brighton (a)
    18th May FA CUP Final
    1st June UCL Final UCL Final

TBC Man Utd (a)

As it stands Man Utd V Man City will likely go in between the Fulham game and the Cardiff or FA Cup Semi Final date if Man City make the FA Cup Semi Final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

United fan here, just interested to know what liverpool fans make of Allison making increasingly more mistakes with the ball at his feet?

has barely got away with it about 5 times now and will surely let in another one soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

ricero wrote: »

They’ll go far in the CL as long as nobody attacks their bus.

Another long break before the Spurs game.

That is a game I would like to go into with the rythme of game play in full swing.

Even worse International break :(

Another long break before the Spurs game.

That is a game I would like to go into with the rythme of game play in full swing.

International games, at least it is not a 12:30pm Kick off on the Saturday like Liverpool usually gets after the International breaks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

akelly02 wrote: »
    United fan here, just interested to know what liverpool fans make of Allison making increasingly more mistakes with the ball at his feet?

has barely got away with it about 5 times now and will surely let in another one soon.

quite honestly, I couldn't be less bothered.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

SlickRic wrote: »
    quite honestly, I couldn't be less bothered.

I could be. I know it is a risk with the 'play it out from the back' style, but it has happened a few times too often to be comfortable with it. If opposition players are doing things that make it more likely to happen (as they should) then Liverpool will have to figure out how to fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Thud

he needs a few scares to reset, similar to the start of the season, i'd say he'll cut them out or be told to cut them out after the last couple of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

The last error Allison made the other night was easily fixable by Matip just booting it. But he panicked and played it straight to a Bayern player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

TitianGerm wrote: »

That was some spiel:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    The last error Allison made the other night was easily fixable by Matip just booting it. But he panicked and played it straight to a Bayern player.

Allison could have aswell. His distribution was woeful at times

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement