Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What would Neymar go back to Barca when he fought so so hard to leave. Why would Coutinho be sold when he just joined them. And why on earth would Coutinho join a mid table premier league side going nowhere.

I'd gladly take him back, he was no different than Suarez. He too tried to leave Liverpool and in the end got his way. I'd take both of them back. Coutinho has great love for Liverpool, I don't doubt that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Probably an unpopular opinion on here...

But I'd love if we re-signed Coutinho and I think it'd be a good use of £100m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Coutinho and Neymar are supposed to be good mates. Probably one of the reasons for Neymar's return. If only we could get Moreno over there to be the 3 amigos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Barcelona top of the league, the manager is the problem in not playing Coutinho, he'd only add to them FFS. There is no excuse not to be playing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I've always felt that Phill was destined to come back just to keep Moreno happy.

Apparently they're good buddies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Ings was and is not a proven PL sriker

Since 14/15 season when Ings came up with Burnley he has scored 21 goals in 64 games and that takes into account two near career ending injuries.

In the same time Englands most naturally gifted striker Sturridge has scored 19 goals in 72 games and that takes into accounts his injures.

A striker who scores 1 in 3 is a proven striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Ahh someone fell for Razor Ruddock bait over the fence something that has been known since 2010 but they only got outraged last Hallowe'en

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Ahh someone fell for Razor Ruddock bait over the fence something that has been known since 2010 but they only got outraged last Hallowe'en

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

cjmc wrote: »
    ?

They were talking about Neil Ruddock breaking Andy Cole's legs over on the United thread and someone posted a picture of Roy Keane destroying Alf-Inge Håland, falling for the bait.

Ruddock gave the interview to Talksport back in 2010 where he said he went out to break Andy Cole's leg, but the United fans only seemed to get upset about it last October

The BBC are reporting that if Ramsey decides not to go to Italy and stays in England he would prefer a move to Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Thought he agreed to go to Juve?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The BBC are reporting that if Ramsey decides not to go to Italy and stays in England he would prefer a move to Liverpool.

*shrug*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Didn't he want a big salary from Arsenal after they gave Ozil his huge one? He'd likely get offered a very incentive based contract from us along with a signing on fee which does help when being able to offer a good overall payment to free transfers.

He's a good player when fit and would be a good replacement (and an upgrade) for Lallana but getting him fit is an issue. Would fit in a 3 man midfield or in our 4-2-3-1 formation nicely I think.

I'd probably be happy with it if we sign him, added depth (when fit) in midfield with I'm assuming Milner and Lallana leaving in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

They were talking about Neil Ruddock breaking Andy Cole's legs over on the United thread and someone posted a picture of Roy Keane destroying Alf-Inge Håland, falling for the bait.

Ruddock gave the interview to Talksport back in 2010 where he said he went out to break Andy Cole's leg, but the United fans only seemed to get upset about it last October

Ruddock is an embarrassment would do say anything for attention/ money

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Fromvert wrote: »
    Didn't he want a big salary from Arsenal after they gave Ozil his huge one? He'd likely get offered a very incentive based contract from us along with a signing on fee which does help when being able to offer a good overall payment to free transfers.

He's a good player when fit and would be a good replacement (and an upgrade) for Lallana but getting him fit is an issue. Would fit in a 3 man midfield or in our 4-2-3-1 formation nicely I think.

I'd probably be happy with it if we sign him, added depth (when fit) in midfield with I'm assuming Milner and Lallana leaving in the summer.

He could well have 25-30 appearances for us next year, no problem. Great squad player, covers so many positions, squad would be weaker without him next year for sure.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    He could well have 25-30 appearances for us next year, no problem. Great squad player, covers so many positions, squad would be weaker without him next year for sure.

Isn't his contract up and I havn't seen any talk of a new one coming? Will be closer to 34 than 33 when the season starts. Think he'll be gone with Lallana and we'll bring in one to replace them. He's been great but may be better to let him go than hand him another contract and start to bring in a new guy to the squad.

Gini/Henderson/Fabinho/Ox/Keita/New/Shaq for the three positions with all seven being able to play more than one position so we have flexibility in formation.

Ramsey would also add to the English/Welsh player numbers we need to have in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

Fromvert wrote: »
    Isn't his contract up and I havn't seen any talk of a new one coming? Will be closer to 34 than 33 when the season starts. Think he'll be gone with Lallana and we'll bring in one to replace them. He's been great but may be better to let him go than hand him another contract and start to bring in a new guy to the squad.

Gini/Henderson/Fabinho/Ox/Keita/New/Shaq for the three positions with all seven being able to play more than one position so we have flexibility in formation.

If u search Milner most results say his contract is up this summer, but I think I read here before his contract is till summer 2020 I think James Pearce was the source.

These guys say

Moreno, Sturridge, Connor Randall and Lazar Markovic expire summer 2019
    &
    Matip, Milner, Origi, Lallana & Clyne expire summer 2020

https://www-thisisanfield-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.thisisanfield.com/2019/01/6-liverpool-players-with-less-than-18-months-left-on-their-contracts/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQECAFYAQ%3D%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thisisanfield.com%2F2019%2F01%2F6-liverpool-players-with-less-than-18-months-left-on-their-contracts%2F

robwen wrote: »
    If u search Milner most results say his contract is up this summer, but I think I read here before his contract is till summer 2020 I think James Pearce was the source.

These guys say

Moreno, Sturridge, Connor Randall and Lazar Markovic expire summer 2019
    &
    Matip, Milner, Origi, Lallana & Clyne expire summer 2020

https://www-thisisanfield-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.thisisanfield.com/2019/01/6-liverpool-players-with-less-than-18-months-left-on-their-contracts/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQECAFYAQ%3D%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thisisanfield.com%2F2019%2F01%2F6-liverpool-players-with-less-than-18-months-left-on-their-contracts%2F

Yup, you're right, I'd heard both 2019 and 2020, some googling and here is Pearce saying it's definitely 2020.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sadio-manes-future-james-milners-15204014

I still think we'd be better off trying to get a new midfielder in this summer to replace Milner than being a little stuck if his legs go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

What if - Clyne was loaned out to open up a place for the shining re-emergence of Lazar Markovic! Like a butterfly slipping free from its cocoon he'll come back into the team a changed man. A tough, no-nonsense Serbian bulldog at fullback, with all the pace and trickery to bolster the attack.

No? Oh well. Man, he's still only 24. What a weird career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I kinda think Clyne was just loaned out as part of the Solanke deal, they offered to overpay if they could get Clyne too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

I kinda think Clyne was just loaned out as part of the Solanke deal, they offered to overpay if they could get Clyne too.

Plus a sort of apology for Ibe and Smith being ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I'd like to see us keep Milner for another season. When they did those lactic acid tests in pre-season he came out the fittest of the entire squad, the guy is a pure workhorse and he frequently covers more than 12km a game. Even if his legs start to go next season he will still be very valuable to have for 30 minute sub stints.

As for Coutinho, I'd be shocked if Klopp had any designs on working with him again, I just couldnt see him re-signing him. I also couldnt see Barca selling him back to us with a loss of £50m, it would make them look like mugs in the transfer market and other clubs would take note.

Liverpool striker Rhian Brewster finally on comeback trail a year after injury heartache
    A year after his world was rocked by a serious injury, Rhian Brewster is on the comeback trail.

The 18-year-old Liverpool striker is back out on the grass at Melwood doing ball work with the club's rehab staff.

When he ended speculation about his future by penning a first professional contract with the Reds last July, Brewster had targeted a return to action by Christmas.

However, Liverpool have been determined not to rush things with the England youth international.

With Daniel Sturridge and Divock Origi both fit and available as back-up to Roberto Firmino and Mohamed Salah, the Reds have been managing Brewster carefully.

They are reluctant to put a time scale on his return to full training with Jurgen Klopp's squad, but the fact that he's working outside again represents an important step forward.

Brewster's rich potential was one of the reasons why Klopp was prepared to sanction the £19million sale of Dominic Solanke to Bournemouth last week.

The gifted teenager, who won the Golden Boot at the Under-17 World Cup in 2017, could still have a part to play before the end of the season.

It was on January 12 2018 that Brewster was hurt playing for Liverpool Under-23s against Manchester City Under-23s. He landed awkwardly after challenging for a header and had to be stretchered off.

Brewster initially needed surgery in order to repair ligaments in his ankle. However, two months later he required a second operation having also damaged meniscus in his knee in the same incident.

Talk about him being fit at some point in pre-season proved premature and it's been a long, gruelling road back for the youngster who was signed from Chelsea in 2015.

Klopp helped keep Brewster's spirits high by inviting him to do his rehabilitation programme at Melwood rather than Kirkby. That was also designed to show him how highly he was regarded.

There was a period when Liverpool feared they would lose Brewster. His representatives turned down a number of offers from the Reds to sign a professional contract and were keen to explore a potential move to Germany.
    Liverpool cancelled a proposed pre-season friendly with Borussia Monchengladbach due to an alleged illegal approach from the Bundesliga outfit.

After weighing up his options, Brewster decided to commit his future to Liverpool in June and the following month he penned a contract until 2023.

“Getting back fit and fighting fit is what I want to do and prove to everyone I am good enough,” Brewster said.

“I can’t wait to be back because I’m missing it like crazy. When I’m back I want to prove to everyone that I made the right decision in staying at this club.”

During his time on the sidelines, Brewster has struck up a close friendship with midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, who has been out since damaging his knee against Roma back in April. They spurred each other on in the gym.

Now with them both working outside at Melwood, there's light at the end of the tunnel. After enduring a 2018 to forget, 2019 promises to be the year when Brewster starts making up for lost time.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-striker-rhian-brewster-finally-15660944.amp?__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Hendo a doubt for Brighton. Calf issue. Having a fitness test on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Gini/Keita/Milner or Shaqiri if it's a 4-2-3-1 (really 4-2-4 as far as I'm concerned)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Hendo a doubt for Brighton. Calf issue. Having a fitness test on Friday.

With Fabinho in defence most likely it leaves us bare bones in midfield as well as defence. Lallana will need to be over his minor owie.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

Have the club said anything about Lovren's injury since the game? I haven't been paying much attention over the last few days.

Owl. wrote:
    Have the club said anything about Lovren's injury since the game? I haven't been paying much attention over the last few days.

Klopp probably has the presser tomorrow & will say more then. Doubt he'll be back this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

According to the telegraph (Bascombe?) Matip and Lovren will be back for the game after Brighton whenever that is.

Meanwhile

https://twitter.com/BumperGraham/status/1083480307393806336

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Doubt he'll be back this month.

Why? What is it? Like I said, I haven't really been keeping up with things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

We really need to get a cb in jan, lovren, gomez and matip can't be trusted to stay fit, if we don't I fear we will blow our chances of winning the lge

Owl. wrote:
    Why? What is it? Like I said, I haven't really been keeping up with things.

It was a hamstring & he was taken off straight away on Monday. It being a hamstring I don't think The club will rush him back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

shamrock55 wrote: »
    We really need to get a cb in jan, lovren, gomez and matip can't be trusted to stay fit, if we don't I fear we will blow our chances of winning the lge

I don't often agree with you but I'd actually go one further and I think the club should go all in and spend whatever money available on bringing in a CB along with adding an attacker.

Whatever it takes to allow Klopp to have the best chance at winning a title.

I remember thinking in 2013/14 that it was the best chance Liverpool would have in winning a PL and God knows how long it could be till the next but yet here we are again and credit to Jurgen and FSG for building a far better squad since the nearly season but I just hope they can push the boat out a little further this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

We have 4 senior CB's, 3 are out injured and 2 are expected back after the next game which is, in all respect to Brighton, a game we should easily be winning. Why spend money on a CB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

We can cope with fab and vvd at center back this weekend. But my fear is if this happens again it will destroy our season. A center back would be priority before anything else this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

According to the telegraph (Bascombe?) Matip and Lovren will be back for the game after Brighton whenever that is.

Meanwhile

What's that about?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Mr.H wrote: »
    We can cope with fab and vvd at center back this weekend. But my fear is if this happens again it will destroy our season. A center back would be priority before anything else this month.

If even one of them was out long term I'd agree, but all of them are likely to be back available in the next 2-3 weeks, so it doesn't make sense. I still think we are lighter up front than elsewhere but we've been lucky none of them have had more than a little niggle so far. Mane usually misses a 4-6 week block of the season, but hopefully he manages not to do that this year.

Meanwhile

Palace at home next weekend

shamrock55 wrote: »

Can't blame Gomez for a bad challenge that injured him

• Advertisement

Doff wrote: »
    We have 4 senior CB's, 3 are out injured and 2 are expected back after the next game which is, in all respect to Brighton, a game we should easily be winning. Why spend money on a CB?

Brighton team who will be playing their 2nd choice keeper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Bar an incredible slice of misfortune we should be ok for a CB until the Summer. Mind you I don't believe this will be the last crisis we have this season at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Doff wrote: »

Because the answer to everything is always buy more players:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

How come that? Duffy is suspended as well I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

How come that? Duffy is suspended as well I think

Ryan on Asian cup duty with Oz.
    Button was excellent in there last game though, so I wouldn't be counting any chickens regarding a change of keeper.

Muller has been banned for 2 Champions League games so will miss the games V Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Ryan on Asian cup duty with Oz.
    Button was excellent in there last game though, so I wouldn't be counting any chickens regarding a change of keeper.

Yeah will prob have the game of his life against us,no clean sheet in three games,not like us this season,lets hope it changes tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Bar an incredible slice of misfortune we should be ok for a CB until the Summer. Mind you I don't believe this will be the last crisis we have this season at the back.

Wouldnt be a January for Liverpool if there wasnt a crisis or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

What's that about?

Graham Hunter is a Barcelona fanboy extraordinaire. It's no surprise he's putting something out there to blame Coutinho for his failure to make a proper impact.

the reality is, Valverde is supremely pragmatic, likes high wide players, and doesn't see Coutinho as part of his central midfield area, but more an option in his front 3.

in hindsight, Coutinho wasn't really what Valverde wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Who kept a clean sheet in his only home game against Everton

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement