Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I'm happy with a point but we aren't playing well in 2019. We've gone top of the league but will we stay there? We could have gone 10 clear against City, Didn't, Couldn't have gone 7 clear against Leicester, didn't, could have gone 3 clear today, didn't. Can't keep turning these chances down and hope to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

TBH, if we were 7 points ahead, the way we're playing, I'd still fancy City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Few things on this....
    - Result is b0llox based on how game went but would've taken it earlier
    - Sturridge should not be played unless we are clearly winning
    - Have slagged origi slot this season but he tried his best to attack
    - Milner shouldn't be right back, if Trent is fit, he needs to play. Milner would've been better in the middle
    - Klopps subs were piss poor today.
    - Hope firmino is ok
    - can we please shoot a little more, turning into the old arsenal teams trying to walk it into the goal...mix it up ffs

But fcuk yeah top of the table...

It's absolutely ridiculous to say we would have taken a point beforehand given how that game panned out. Thats not a performance of a title winning side. As many have said, City would have wiped the floor with that utd team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Yes pre game before we seen they started Mctominay, then lost Herrera Mata and lingard and had rahsford on one leg. We lost out here, do you not see that. 3 points for the taking pissed down a lane.

Ehhhhhhhhhhh...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The one thing we lost by going out of the the FA Cup was the rhythm a team gets playing games.

Those two ten day breaks killed that along with the bug they got on one of those breaks that effected the players.

They all look drained of energy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

No more warm weather breaks, turns the team into gormless eejits.

Nothing wrong with a little liverpudlain weather to harden you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Ultimately we didn’t create one decent goal chance against a United side With McTominay and Periera in midfield. A one legged Rashford for much of the game and a Lukaku who could barely move for the last 20 minutes.

Dismal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Vicxas wrote: »
    No more warm weather breaks, turns the team into gormless eejits.

Nothing wrong with a little liverpudlain weather to harden you.

Just an international break coming up soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's not a KO blow to title race, only thing we know for sure is it's Feb, and we took 4pts of United this season. Very much 4pts to add to our season total.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Glad it's out of the way.
    Bring on Watford and hopefully 3 points.
    Cant see the hammers getting anything at city but you never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

noodler wrote: »
    Origi did more in five minutes than Sturridge did in over an hour.

But the Chelsea goal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

cmac2009 wrote: »
    It's absolutely ridiculous to say we would have taken a point beforehand given how that game panned out. Thats not a performance of a title winning side. As many have said, City would have wiped the floor with that utd team.

That's what I said. Game was b0llox but I probably would accepted a point before the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Klopp's substitutions didn't help today. Sturridge should not have come on for Firminho. The only other option was Origi so that's who should have come on. We really needed Keita in there too. It was a sheeite match to watch but feck it we're still top. And to make it a bit easier to take Arsenal knocked Utd back down to 5th. Not so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The only negative in the bigger picture is that we only have to drop points once to be overtaken by City now. Having said that, we have 11 games left each, of a similar difficulty (if not a tad easier on us), if we match their results game by game, we’ll be champions. I know we’re not in a good way at the moment, but we are absolutely capable of achieving that.

I can understand the disappointment and frustration to an extent, but it’s not every season we’re in a title race so I’m going to do my best to enjoy it and to be honest, all of us should be relishing it to some degree. Still in the Champions League too, so there’s that as well. It’s a very good season for us even at this moment. Every chance of converting that into a trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Very poor performance against limited opponents. All to play for with 11 games to go but we will need to do a lot better than that the rest of the way to have any chance.

No doubt we need to raise our game. Feel like I've been saying that all season which makes the fact we're top of the league an amazing feat.

For me midfield is the issue and has been all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I must say this once a month but how is Sturridge still the man we look to after Firmino

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Blueprint is there to get a draw against us whenever opposition want it now.

Just get bodies behind the ball very quickly and theres no guile to pick holes.

Mane and Salah are pretty ineffective when not playing off the shoulder. Even Firmino only fires under optimum conditions.

Leicester did it to us, West Ham, Bayern and now United. With relative ease aswell.

City would have adapted to beat that useless shower today. Over reliance on this front line who sprung surprise after surprise last season against big teams, unfortunately results against big sides this season have been iffy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Point is fine, performance was not. I think a lot would agree?

Need improvement, if not we wont win the league. Thats how it is. City look on course for getting 190+ points in 2 seasons. Its ridiculous. All we can do is pick up as many points as we can. Get our rhythm back and we'll have every chance.

That really was an awful match. Instead of looking rested recently, we just look disjointed. That chemistry which clicked at exactly this time last season especially between our front 3 seems long gone.

We are top, one point ahead of City, but something's amiss offensively. I've admired our pragmatic streak this season but today I think it prevented us from beating a team there for the taking.

Just an international break coming up soon

AGAIN!?

Mother of Chipotle Jesus....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

MD1990 wrote: »
    Draw is not a worry.

Performances are. We have not played well in 2019 bar against Bourneouth who are the ideal home opponents.

Hopefully just a blip & will look back on some good points but I would be surprised if we won the league now.

So we have played well in 2019 then

You can't move the goalposts by saying when they played well that it was because of the opposition.

I would argue that we played well against Man City in a very tight top level game that could have gone either way.

Brighton was also a good performance that many claimed was us playing like champions.
    Palace game we played well and game was less frantic than scoreline suggests as we were 4-2 up at 90 minutes.

Today is done , missed chance to make a big statement to City but it is as it is.

Need to go away, regroup and get set for next group of games which are very winnable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Could have put Salah through middle for Firmino and put Mane on right and brought on Shaq to play left of the 3. Shaq is left foot? Funny how he never plays that side
    Salah needed help, a change of position, he was in Shaws pocket all game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I notice the other thread (fairly) pointing out all their own injuries without noting any of Liverpool's.

Frost choice striker, second and third choice centre halves, first choice right back etc.

I must say this once a month but how is Sturridge still the man we look to after Firmino

That was a gamble by Klopp. Last chance for sturridge to prove he belongs still.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

Sweet jesus, that was muck.

murpho999 wrote: »
    So we have played well in 2019 then

You can't move the goalposts by saying when they played well that it was because of the opposition.

I would argue that we played well against Man City in a very tight top level game that could have gone either way.

Brighton was also a good performance that many claimed was us playing like champions.
    Palace game we played well and game was less frantic than scoreline suggests as we were 4-2 up at 90 minutes.

Today is done , missed chance to make a big statement to City but it is as it is.

Need to go away, regroup and get set for next group of games which are very winnable.

NO. NO MORE GOING AWAY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

NukaCola wrote: »
    Point is fine, performance was not. I think a lot would agree?

I wouldn't say it's fine at all. Not if we have any interest in winning the league.

It might have been understandable and something you could not ask any more of the team than, but that turned out not to be the case.

That was a gamble by Klopp. Last chance for sturridge to prove he belongs still.

I wonder was shaq not fully fit, hard to se why he made that decision otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Blondie919 wrote:
    Klopp's substitutions didn't help today. Sturridge should not have come on for Firmino.

Is there one person on here or someone you watched the game with who thought good choice bringing on Sturridge then, I doubt one Liverpool fan watching the game said that. He's way off any form he had back in autumn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

And with respect to Sturridge, he has got some notable contributions versus PSG and Chelsea but Klopp never seems to pick him in a scenario where we might get the most out of him.

Slowly shows a preference for Origi..

And then he chooses today, away to Utd, to go for Sturridge again.

Weird.

EDIT : I think he helped set up the clincher at Burnley.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

cmac2009 wrote: »

This. Before the game I would have settled for a point. But that was an extremely worrying performance. I haven't been as frustrated watching a Liverpool game in years.

With Utd suffering the early injuries I thought we would only be encouraged but it had the opposite effect. We didn't show up for the second half and Utd were the only team that showed some attacking intent in second half.

Transition from defence to attack was very slow and we resorted too often to lumping balls up the line. Front three were awful both as a unit and individually. Looked very pedestrian and gave a silly amount of ball away. Wijnaldum probably our best player and Allison did well with the Lingard chance. We really look like a team afraid to go out and play, waiting for something to happen rather than making it happen.

mosstin wrote: »
    That really was an awful match. Instead of looking rested recently, we just look disjointed. That chemistry which clicked at exactly this time last season especially between our front 3 seems long gone.

We are top, one point ahead of City, but something's amiss offensively. I've admired our pragmatic streak this season but today I think it prevented us from beating a team there for the taking.

Tbh I can't remember many times the front 3 have replicated their form from last season. I know the style of play has changed, not a gung-ho, but even with that in mind they have not been playing well as a front 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

We were on similar form earlier in the season & Jan-Feb is usually not great under Klopp.

We really need to hit form like we did last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Flyer29

Have to pay Ole his dues here. There’s one way to almost guarantee yourself a result against Liverpool and that’s to pack the defense and wait for Liverpool’s lack of cunning to show its ugly head.

I said it the other day after the Munich game too, managers worth their salt simply aren’t going to turn up for a hiding against us anymore. Teams are going to set up to frustrate us and we need to adapt quickly if we want to win silverware this season.

The starting 11s alone today should have given us enough confidence to win that game well, let alone the fact that United had to empty their bench in the first half and yet the lack of ambition and cutting edge was there for all to see again. Sideways passing and telegraphed through balls.

An opportunity against Man City to go 10 points clear, an opportunity against Leicester to go 7 clear, a chance against West Ham to go 5 clear and a chance today to go 3 clear and each opportunity went begging. Nowhere near title winning pedigree

We have to match City game for game now. If they overtake us they won’t relinquish the first place to us as easily this time I fear

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Salah is our top scorer, but am I the only one unimpressed with his general play this past few months?

Today he was shocking, but it wasn’t really a one off.

Playing like a player lacking some confidence to beat a man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ozzy78

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Blueprint is there to get a draw against us whenever opposition want it now.

Just get bodies behind the ball very quickly and theres no guile to pick holes.

Mane and Salah are pretty ineffective when not playing off the shoulder. Even Firmino only fires under optimum conditions.

Leicester did it to us, West Ham, Bayern and now United. With relative ease aswell.

City would have adapted to beat that useless shower today. Over reliance on this front line who sprung surprise after surprise last season against big teams, unfortunately results against big sides this season have been iffy.

We're in desperate need of a creative midfielder. Someone who can unhinge packed defences. We need to spend big in the summer and find someone in the mould of Silva (David or Bernardo), Pirlo or Modric.

Sturridge is gone this summer thank christ, he's been an absolute nothing player since 2014

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Gbear wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's fine at all. Not if we have any interest in winning the league.

It might have been understandable and something you could not ask any more of the team than, but that turned out not to be the case.

Well, thats the point I'm trying to make. If it was a hard earned point against a team that played really well and we put in a big performance then a point would be a decent result. Even so, a point at OT is not a disaster. The performance however is concerning.

And with respect to Sturridge, he has got some notable contributions versus PSG and Chelsea but Klopp never seems to pick him in a scenario where we might get the most out of him.

Weird.

Agreed 100%. It was a bizarre decision given he called on origi previously. That's why I feel he gambled in asking sturridge does he still fancy it.

We're just unlucky. If that was Walcott coming on playing for a new contract he would have got MOTM HAHA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

With both sides claiming the moral victory in the match thread, it's still just a point each. Good result, pity though because Utd struggled to put out a tea. City would probably have roasted them today (us too although VVD would have got us the 0-0)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

mosstin wrote: »
    NO. NO MORE GOING AWAY!

They have to go to Germany

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

awec wrote: »
    Salah is our top scorer, but am I the only one unimpressed with his general play this past few months?

Today he was shocking, but it wasn’t really a one off.

Playing like a player lacking some confidence to beat a man.

He was fantastic against Bournemouth in our last home game

Poor game.

Not losing was key. Win on Wednesday and today wasn't a bad result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Sturridge’s best play was walking backwards onto the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ozzy78

Anyone else fed up with Martin Tyler's obvious anti-Liverpool and pro United bias??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

They have to go to Germany

We'll probably play for the draw there too.... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

ricero wrote: »

He wasn't fantastic. He was good. The front three were pretty awful again, so many poor passes, losing possession. I would have liked to have seen TAA on early in second half, pressurised them high up the pitch. We played into their hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Econ__

Weird.

I think Klopp made the calculation that United would fold (and they did look on the ropes in the first quarter of the game and just had two inconvenient substitutions enforced upon them), so he thought Sturridge’s clinicalness would serve the team better than the running & energy of Origi. As it turned out, United recovered and reorganised pretty effectively and Liverpool were unable to carve them open at will, which neutered the effectiveness of the Sturridge substitution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

ricero wrote: »

You’re wasting your time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Firmino on crutches leaving OT.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement