Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

United back line stayed as a four all game, no intent on going forward. So much for a change of tactics from Jose. It was what ruined the game as a spectacle, they seemed more concerned in stopping Liverpool's title challenge than playing a game of football. All we can do is say thanks for the 4pts this season and move on.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Firmino on crutches leaving OT.

That’d be a blow. Been said before, we’ve absolutely nobody in the squad who can bring what Firmino brings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

He wasn't fantastic. He was good. The front three were pretty awful again, so many poor passes, losing possession. I would have liked to have seen TAA on early in second half, pressurised them high up the pitch. We played into their hands.

Really don't understand why Trent didn't come on, it wasn't like Utd had rampant pace upfront. He would have been a lot more effective then Milner, who i think is beginning to show his age at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

ozzy78 wrote: »
    We're in desperate need of a creative midfielder. Someone who can unhinge packed defences. We need to spend big in the summer and find someone in the mould of Silva (David or Bernardo), Pirlo or Modric.

Klopps philosophy in midfield has always been about high tempo hard running though. No place for a playmaker type, was same at Dortmund.

Midfield graft, forwards finesse.

We dont even have a goal threat from outside the box.

Lads its been a terrific season, we snatched some wins this season we probably shouldnt have, these results even themselves out over course of season.

The best team wins the title and everyone knows City probably have just got that bit more quality. If a big name falls out of form they can shuffle their pack, we cant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

awec wrote: »
    That’d be a blow. Been said before, we’ve absolutely nobody in the squad who can bring what Firmino brings.

Bring Shaq in and play Salah through the middle our bring in Origi up top.

Hopefully it's not for long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

ricero wrote: »
    He was fantastic against Bournemouth in our last home game

He was quite good I thought.

Wouldn't say fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What's gone wrong lads, I have no doubt 3 months ago that liverpool side would have won easily. Its worrying, saying that utd are still a decent side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

He wasn't fantastic. He was good. The front three were pretty awful again, so many poor passes, losing possession. I would have liked to have seen TAA on early in second half, pressurised them high up the pitch. We played into their hands.

He was fantastic. I was there and he was bloody outstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

mosstin wrote: »
    He was fantastic. I was there and he was bloody outstanding.

I was there too. I thought he was good. I thought Gini and Fab were fantastic, if anyone was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Awful performance

Only iota of a positive to come of today is if Ole gets given the job full time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

gimli2112 wrote: »
    With both sides claiming the moral victory in the match thread, it's still just a point each. Good result, pity though because Utd struggled to put out a tea. City would probably have roasted them today (us too although VVD would have got us the 0-0)

I don’t think they’ve even realised they’re bottling 4th place.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ozzy78

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Klopps philosophy in midfield has always been about high tempo hard running though. No place for a playmaker type, was same at Dortmund.

Lads its been a terrific season, we snatched some wins this season we probably shouldnt have, these results even themselves out over course of season.

The best team wins the title and everyone knows City probably have just got that bit more quality. If a big name falls out of form they can shuffle their pack, we cant.

Klopp had Gundogan, Mihitarian, Kagawa and Reuse at Dortmund. All players who could pick a pass and make goals. I know he expects lots of running from our midfielders, but I can't see us going anywhere without someone who can create chances and/or shoot from outside the area. The last two months has shown that packed defences can stifle us. Lots of our goals were on the counter last season, but we're not getting those opportunities this season and need a change of tact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

He tried to buy Fekir too who can pick a pass and score goals. Its also what Kieta is supposed to do. I've no doubt that will be an area of great interest for us this summer. Just get Phil back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

One plus is we will have Keita, Trent , Shaq who should all be fresh for the midweek game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

One plus is we will have Keita, Trent , Shaq who should all be fresh for the midweek game

Being fresh is patently not the issue. Being sharp is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Biggest criticism is surely the lack of ambition when we knew united were in trouble. TAA and keita and go for it. Those are two massive players for breaking teams down when they sit.

How did Milner play the whole game. Awful.

Sturridge? I still can't get over that decision. Origi at least moves and occupies defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Blanco100 wrote: »

Klopp had Gundogan, Mihitarian, Kagawa and Reuse at Dortmund. All players who could pick a pass and make goals. I know he expects lots of running from our midfielders, but I can't see us going anywhere without someone who can create chances and/or shoot from outside the area. The last two months has shown that packed defences can stifle us. Lots of our goals were on the counter last season, but we're not getting those opportunities this season and need a change of tact.
    No arguments there. We were counting on Keita this season but whichever way you look at it re his injuries and form his lack of contribution has cost us. That's the bottom line. He was supposed to be that spark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Doesnt help if the front 3 are not scoring....football is about goals. Teams going to win cannot carry any players and that is what the team have to do at the moment as Mo aint playing great and Milner as a wing back aint an option. Was as if we played with 9 men today.

Capturelo.jpg
    124453.jpg

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Biggest criticism is surely the lack of ambition when we knew united were in trouble. TAA and keita and go for it. Those are two massive players for breaking teams down when they sit.

Sturridge? I still can't get over that decision. Origi at least moves and occupies defenders.
    Milner was crap.

But Mane was worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Probably going to see a bit more of Salah at centre forward with Bobby likely to miss some games. The 4-2-3-1 might make a return with Keita in Bobby’s position at number 10, I think it’s a better formation for the Everton game at least but we really could do with the fluidity of the 4-3-3 against Watford.

The problem is trying to figure out which one of Fabinho, Henderson or Wijnaldum to leave out. None of them really deserve to lose their place, but I don’t think any of them can do a better job than Keita at number 10. Good problem to have though.

Firmino pulling out of winning ball against Degea sums up Firmino's killer instinct, he has none, not like a Costa or Suarez or Kane who die for a goal. Firmino is great, but don't ask him to upset someone, he won't. He drifts off defenders relies solely on his skill and ability to create, he ruffles no feathers and never will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Firmino pulling out of winning ball against Degea sums up Firmino's killer instinct, he has none, not like a Costa or Suarez or Kane who die for a goal. Firmino is great, but don't ask him to upset someone, he won't. He drifts off defenders relies solely on his skill and ability to create, he ruffles no feathers and never will.

Its not necessarily a bad thing though. We missed him badly today and if he's out for a few games I'd worry a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Christ, the word "bottled" or any variant of, is possibly the most annoying word on football forums. You can't move for that word in other threads. Whatever happened to the notion that a team can occasionally draw or lose, or simply be playing sh*te?

Liverpool are playing sh*te at the minute. But importantly are still a point ahead of probably the best team there's ever been in the Premiership. Supporters of other teams may want to notice how far ahead of their own team Liverpool are before berating Liverpool for being "just a point ahead".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Salah is our top scorer, but am I the only one unimpressed with his general play this past few months?

He was extremely wasteful. Actually had the pleasure of watching the match in Cairo today. Photo was taken just before the match in a hotel on the banks of the River Nile.

The locals, despite turning out in numbers to watch the match, weren't particularly vocal about the poor performance. Whereas I was losing my **** every time he gave the ball away.

0_Manchester-United-FC-vs-Liverpool-FC-United-Kingdom-24-Feb-2019.jpg

0_Manchester-United-FC-vs-Liverpool-FC-United-Kingdom-24-Feb-2019.jpg

0_Manchester-United-v-Liverpool-Premier-League-Old-Trafford.jpg

Klopp apparently told him

'' YOU DIDN'T SHAKE MY HAND!!!''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Supporters of other teams may want to notice how far ahead of their own team Liverpool are before berating Liverpool for being "just a point ahead".

Jesus by that logic Liverpool fans wouldn't have had an opinion for the most part of 25, years.

Ridiculous statement.

Anyone else fed up with Martin Tyler's obvious anti-Liverpool and pro United bias??

No, who cares? FFS, virtually 75% of pundits and co-commentators on TV are ex-Liverpool players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Doesnt help if the front 3 are not scoring....football is about goals. Teams going to win cannot carry any players and that is what the team have to do at the moment as Mo aint playing great and Milner as a wing back aint an option. Was as if we played with 9 men today.

Its the lack of goals from elsewhere thats the real problem. Not sure its fair or even realistic to expect one of our front three to score in every game.

https://twitter.com/PeoplesPerson_/status/1099705339837120512

Souness still takes no crap from people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Pepp1989 wrote: »

This, this, this.

Have to have the testicular fortitude to be ruthless and punish (in this case) a United team who had no ambition and were missing a number of regulars.
    Liverpool didn't get to the top of the epl playing safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Capturelo.jpg
    124453.jpg

This is ****ing embarrassing.

They can hold their heads high over their application in the face of massive adversity.

We cannot say the same.

Milner was crap.

But Mane was worse.

Milner having so much possession seemed to be something that United were content with.

What miffed me was how frequently Robinson was open but not used by our midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Jamie with the sly smile at the end :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

In summary.

We are not looking up at anyone.

Utd are not in the top 4. Their panel is decimated.

We have a home match next.

It could be worse lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ozzy78

NukaCola wrote: »
    Its the lack of goals from elsewhere thats the real problem. Not sure its fair or even realistic to expect one of our front three to score in every game.

Very good point. We need more goals from midfield. As someone pointed out earlier if we managed to sign Fekir we mightn't have to rely on front three so much. Also, if Keita is pushed further forward in Firmino's probable absence, he might be able to contribute to our goal tally. I'm praying Mané's performance today was a once off and he'll be back to his best on Wednesday. He's been our most consistent attacker this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Some people actually seemed happier when we were struggling to qualify for the Europa League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I know this is stating the bleeding obvious but if we could win our next 4 games(Watford,Everton,Burnley,Fulham), we stay stop going into the international break,hopefully by then gomez and ox are back we might have found a bit of form,having said that the way we are playing its hard to see us winning them

Also someone called salah a bottler earlier on in the thread,I know its frustrating at the moment but thats something I would expect the clowns who pay us a visit here to say,no need for it at all

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Some people actually seemed happier when we were struggling to qualify for the Europa League.

Do you have anything to contribute whatsoever on the actual match? Do you have any thoughts on how we played? Any thoughts on the game at all? Literally anything at all will do.

Please share them with us and spare us all from your endless little quips. Even thoughts on Bobby Firmino's new hair colour would be an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

I still fancy Liverpool to win it, three very winnable games next. Chin up, not a bad result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

The frustrating part of Salahs game is when he is not on form he neednt be on the pitch. Looks like he doesnt care, very rarely then chases anything down like a Firmino.....our whole game is based on the front 3 moving and causing the other team trouble. If they dont do it the midfield and defence are too far back to play......defend from the front and keep the other team under pressure high up the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Do you have anything to contribute whatsoever on the actual match? Do you have any thoughts on how we played? Any thoughts on the game at all? Literally anything at all will do.

Please share them with us and spare us all from your endless little quips. Even thoughts on Bobby Firmino's new hair colour would be an improvement.

He won't get the Thanks he so greatly loves without posting the endless quips. Toxic posts

Salah got a rating of 2 , worse display ever. He was still on holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Also someone called salah a bottler earlier on in the thread,I know its frustrating at the moment but thats something I would expect the clowns who pay us a visit here to say,no need for it at all

I'd call him short on form. He looks off. That telepathic front free stuff he was up to with Mane and Frimino looks a distant memory. Klopp should have gone for Origi instead of Sturidge when Bobby got injured. The front line was too static today.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

OwlsZat wrote: »
    I'd call him short on form. He looks off. That telepathic front free stuff he was up to with Mane and Frimino looks a distant memory. Klopp should have gone for Origi instead of Sturidge when Bobby got injured. The front line was too static today.

We need another proven quality man for our forward line.

''United injuries cost us our rhythm ''

What kind of injury did Firmino go off with

Salah is just lacking confidence. Not a lot is going for him right now in general play. Summed up today in the first half when he couldn't beat an injured Mata 1 on 1. Last season he'd have skinned him.

I think he needs to learn to use his right foot more. When he's low on confidence he wants to bring everything back onto his left and full backs can read him like a book. They just need to show him the outside.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement