Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just caught the highlights of the second half. Delighted for Origi, really want him to stick around but I think he’ll go for regular game time. Was great that we were still playing with a front 3 with him , and not a front two with Sturridge standing still or dropping deep for a potshot or to give the ball away.

Great to see Van Dijk look genuinely happy with the goals. Brought a smile to my face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Ouch, that was no penalty for City tonight. Refs deciding titles, not good.

Can't believe they won 1-0 with a bad call from ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    All 7 teams on 69 points at this point went on to win the league before- I hate facts like this. It really shows you how good a year City and us are having.
    MOTD were salivating regarding Trent and rightly so. He was the difference and Milner looked far more comfortable in midfield aswell.

Wonder how many teams with 68 pts or more have won the league, I expect the same lol.

Someone with 90+ pts will have "bottled" the league!! Well that's the narrative isn't it!

Just realised Spurs have more defeats than anyone else in top 6. Still rather themselves and Arsenal edged out Chelsea and Citehs new BFF's (noisey) neighbours.

BTW just a thought on Trent, absolutely superb this evening. Remember he got booked in first 3 games this season and lots were concerned about him. Not a yellow since!!
    It's only since we lost him and got him back no one can argue you how important he is to us. Bit inexperienced now and then away from home but from an attacking point of view a very important cog in the machine with regards putting the bus parkers to the sword at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The Goals:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Also love this from Origi, 86 mins gone, 5-0 up, game over and he's still fighting for every ball:

giphy.gif

And now for The Fab Show:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

You're a strange one. Bobby is a fulcrum in our attack.

Firmino has 2 goals so far this year, Mane has 6. We looked a lot more dangerous with Mane actually playing centre, rather than dropping off deep like Firmino forever does.
    Can't fault Firmino's work rate and attitude, he just lacks that cutting edge, when Salah or Mane are not at it he's not going to change that draw into a win.

Mane looks like a man on a mission to win title, I'd have no problem starting this side again in next game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Southdubin6

Firmino has 2 goals so far this year, Mane has 6. We looked a lot more dangerous with Mane actually playing centre, rather than dropping off deep like Firmino forever does.
    Can't fault Firmino's work rate and attitude, he just lacks that cutting edge, when Salah or Mane are not at it he's not going to change that draw into a win.

Mane looks like a man on a mission to win title, I'd have no problem starting this side again in next game.

When mane is bad he is anonymous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

No different to firmino or salah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

"This year" being a very convenient cutoff point considering Bobby had a hat trick in the final game of last year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Southdubin6

No different to firmino or salah

Ratio to mane and Bobby having bad days weighs greater on Mane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

First time this season we've got four clean sheets in a row. An excited Linda involuntarily dirtiing her own sheets come to mind, :pac:

"This year" being a very convenient cutoff point considering Bobby had a hat trick in the final game of last year.

True, I'm just looking at us since this so called '' dip in form'' . Over all Firmino has 9 league goals, Fulham have player with more, and they've lost 19 games are are 2nd from bottom.
    Can't fault Firmino other that his goal return, we all know what he brings, but without what he brings we looks pretty good tonight.

Mane has scored the opener in 4 of the last 5 league games. He's coming into form after his blip mid season. Again I can't fault Firmino, I'm just nitpicking his cutting edge. I dunno how many times Firmino's the difference, the match winner, the one putting points on the table, not often or at all. He'll score goals here and there in games we're winning. I'd love to see him making the difference in those games against West Ham and Leicester, pretty sure he was taking off in both games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It’s lovely that they’ve staggered their poor patches though, very conscientious of them!
    Without Mane during this rough spell we’d already be out of the running. It’s the nice thing about 3 magic men... it just takes one of them to turn up to give us a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I think he's the opposite of anonymous when he's bad. He typically misses 3-4 chances he should have scored and is always a menace to defenders. If anything you notice him more when he's not having a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

For all our attacking effervescence last night, another clean sheet was really satisfying.

The defence looks unrecognisable from seasons past.

If Liverpool concede 2 goals in each of the remaining 10 matches of the season, we'd still have a better defensive record than last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Mane has scored the opener in 4 of the last 5 league games. He's coming into form after his blip mid season. Again I can't fault Firmino, I'm just nitpicking his cutting edge. I dunno how many times Firmino's the difference, the match winner, the one putting points on the table, not often or at all. He'll score goals here and there in games we're winning. I'd love to see him making the difference in those games against West Ham and Leicester, pretty sure he was taking off in both games.
    Off the top of my head, Firmino scored the match winning goals in the league games against Tottenham, Leicester and Arsenal.

In the Champions League he scored the match winner against PSG and the first goal against Red Star. His goal against PSG is the reason we're still in the competition and not the Europa League.

If you're expecting him to knock in 20+ league goals a season then you're looking for a different player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Somebody hack tobys account?
    Definitely a very different posting style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Mane and Salah in the Top 5 league scorers and they aren't even strikers.

10 to go, this is the home stretch. 9 wins will be enough to win it I believe.
    It a good run in for both teams, city at united could be key. We should be beating Spurs and Chelsea at home but Saints away could be a really tough one.

LIVERPOOL

March 3 Everton (A)

March 10 Burnley (H)

March 17 Fulham (A)

March 31 Tottenham Hotspur (H)

April 5 Southampton (A)

April 14 Chelsea (H)

April 21 Cardiff City (A)

April 26 Huddersfield (H)

May 4 Newcastle United (A)

May 12 Wolves (H)

MANCHESTER CITY

March 2 Bournemouth (A)

March 9 Watford (H)

March 30 Fulham (A)

April 6 Cardiff City (H)

April 14 Crystal Palace (A)

April 20 Tottenham (H)

April 24 Man United (A)

April 28 Burnley (A)

May 4 Leicester City (H)

May 12 Brighton (A)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

rob316 wrote: »

It a good run in for both teams, city at united could be key. We should be beating Spurs and Chelsea at home but Saints away could be a really tough one.

LIVERPOOL

March 3 Everton (A)

March 10 Burnley (H)

March 17 Fulham (A)

March 31 Tottenham Hotspur (H)

April 5 Southampton (A)

April 14 Chelsea (H)

April 21 Cardiff City (A)

April 26 Huddersfield (H)

May 4 Newcastle United (A)

May 12 Wolves (H)

MANCHESTER CITY

March 2 Bournemouth (A)

March 9 Watford (H)

March 30 Fulham (A)

April 6 Cardiff City (H)

April 14 Crystal Palace (A)

April 20 Tottenham (H)

April 24 Man United (A)

April 28 Burnley (A)

May 4 Leicester City (H)

May 12 Brighton (A)

Easier way to view it
    Date Liverpool Man City
    2nd Mar Bournemouth (a)
    3rd Mar Everton (a)
    9th Mar Watford
    10th Mar Burnley
    12th Mar Shalke 04 (GER)
    13th Mar Bayern München (GER) (a)
    16th Mar Swansea (a) FA Cup
    17th Mar Fulham (a)
    30th Mar Fulham (a)
    31st Mar Spurs
    5th Apr Southampton (a)
    6th Apr Cardiff or FA Cup Semi Final
    9th Apr UCL QF 1st Leg UCL QF 1st Leg
    14th Apr Chelsea Palace (a)
    16th Apr UCL QF 2nd Leg UCL QF 2nd Leg
    20th Apr Spurs
    21st Apr Cardiff (a)
    24th Apr Man Utd (a)
    26th Apr Huddersfield
    28th Apr Burnley (a)
    30th Apr UCL SF 1st Leg UCL SF 1st Leg
    4th May Newcastle (a) Leicester
    7th May UCL SF 2nd Leg UCL SF 2nd Leg
    12th May Wolves Brighton (a)
    18th May FA CUP Final
    1st June UCL Final UCL Final

You have to say Man City will beat Swansea so will have to fit that Cardiff game in somewhere which will lead to them playing 4 games in one week somewhere if they also reach the Champions League Semi-Final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Easier way to view it
    Date Liverpool Man City
    2nd Mar Bournemouth (a)
    3rd Mar Everton (a)
    9th Mar Watford
    10th Mar Burnley
    12th Mar Shalke 04 (GER)
    17th Mar Fulham (a)
    30th Mar Fulham (a)
    31st Mar Spurs
    5th Apr Southampton (a)
    20th Apr Spurs
    21st Apr Cardiff (a)
    24th Apr Man Utd (a)
    26th Apr Huddersfield
    28th Apr Burnley (a)
    18th May FA CUP Final

You have to say Man City will beat Swansea so will have to fit that Cardiff game in somewhere which will lead to them playing 4 games in one week somewhere if they also reach the Champions League Semi-Final

Your table format is awful and even more difficult to read than the other guys list. Maybe it just looks funny on mobile though?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Salah has played as a striker for the vast majority of the season so far. Firmino has barely played there which is why his form this season hasn't been as good as the previous 2.
    As far as fixtures go City have Spurs & United but other than that I wouldn't think anyone else would give them a game unless the amount of fixtures add up late on. Hard to have much faith in Watford, Bournemouth, Brighton and Leicester as they've not a lot to play for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Toby on fire today, making some great points.

I think Mane hass been the stand out of the front 3 this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Can't believe they won 1-0 with a bad call from ref.

They should have won 6 - 0, completely dominant. I wouldn’t be getting hung up on the penalty after seeing the highlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

We have 5 home, 5 away and City have 4 home, 6 away. Hopefully that'll be a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mane would probably score 30 in the league as a centre forward, faultless there tonight. Firmino's lack of goals there is costly at times.

Bah, any excuse to knock Bobby.

11 isn't a bad return and I wouldn't be expecting a regular 25 goal return from anyone playing in his position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

My thoughts on last night:
    I don't care who scored. I don't Mane got 2, I don't care one was an outrageous back heel, I don't care that Origi scored a belter, I don't care VVD scored 2, I don't care that TAA provided beautiful assists.
    The only thing that matters is we have shown now that the last few games are probably a blip in form, and this is how we play for the rest of the league. Let's go balls to the wall for the remaining games lads! Bring on the blutsh1ts!

Easier way to view it
    Date Liverpool Man City
    2nd Mar Bournemouth (a)
    3rd Mar Everton (a)
    9th Mar Watford
    10th Mar Burnley
    12th Mar Shalke 04 (GER)
    17th Mar Fulham (a)
    30th Mar Fulham (a)
    31st Mar Spurs
    5th Apr Southampton (a)
    20th Apr Spurs
    21st Apr Cardiff (a)
    24th Apr Man Utd (a)
    26th Apr Huddersfield
    28th Apr Burnley (a)
    18th May FA CUP Final

Hopefully City can get to at least the semi's if not the final of the FA Cup.

Also, a run to the semi's or final of the CL would be great too. Games will catch up with them if that happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I think the breaks have hurt our Jan/Feb form but they could help us in the last weeks of the season. I remember our league form plummeted towards the end when we were in the CL last season, slightly bigger squad this time so that should help.

City's schedule could get backed up but they have players in the squad who know what it takes to get over the line and a huge squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

By all accounts City didn't play great last night at all.

The loss of Fernandinho does hurt them a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Ya was a very good win last night.

Most important thing for me was that a good few mistakes from Sunday put right last night

One such example was playing Origi instead of Sturridge. That Sturridge for Firmino subsititution killed Liverpool on Sunday. For the first 30 mins, Liverpool had United pinned in their own half with constant pressure and everyone had a sense that a goal was coming. We were getting opportunities, and while they always didn't result in a shot, the sense that it would eventually was definitely there. When Sturridge came on, he was hands down the worst player on the pitch by a country mile and all of Liverpool's attacks were breaking down. Nothing stuck to him, no more interplay between the other forwards making them easier to mark etc. Terrible terrible sub. Probably the worst substitution ever made by Klopp and could very well prove costly. I can see why he brought on Sturridge, as Liverpool were camped in United's half at the time and he probably thought that his quick feet and turning etc could get that vital goal, but the opposite happened. Origi should have been the man brought on for his running and interplay.

That changed last night with playing Mane up front and he was very very good - as were all of the front 3. Mane got 2, Origi got 1 and Salah did everything but score. he hit the post, nearly got an unreal goal and forced a couple of good saves. probably the best he has played for Liverpool without scoring. I've seen him play worse and score 2. Mane actually played like a centre forward should - the opposite of what Sturridge did.

One of the other big changes was TAA. He really showed last night what he brings to the team in an attacking sense. Not only freeing up Salah so much cos TAA provides the width and makes space but also with his class crossing ability. Obviously he was coming back from injury and started against Bayern midweek and was not fit enough to start 4 games in 10 days, finishing with the derby at the weekend so he didn't play at the weekend but Milner v United and TAA last night were chalk and cheese. Milner had something like 15 crosses at the weekend and only 2 found a Liverpool players. Last night, TAA got 3 assists from crosses alone and could have had more. And that was another big mistake at the weekend - not bringing on TAA for Milner as one of the subs. If he was fit enough, maybe he would have had as Milner had the space on that wing constantly. the left side of United's attack and midfield were doing nothing to stop him crossing. Shaqiri has done nothing since 2018 and was poor again. TAA coming on at the weekend could have seen us open up that wing a lot more, but obviously deemed not fit enough to with these 2 big games coming midweek and the derby.

Having 2 attacking full backs playing at the same time is a massive part of our game and the fact we've been missing one for a month has hampered up but having 2 back playing now should help us going forward

10 more to go.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The amount of work put in by Milner last night was unbelievable. He was everywhere on the pitch, he was the player involved in the triangles/diamonds all over the pitch.
    VVD and Matip are turning into a solid partnership.
    2 full backs make a huge difference.
    Origi mus have read my post about him the other day, he put in a huge amount of effort last night.
    Fabinho - where's that Antonio Banderas gif?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Interesting stat on BBC Sport on Origi -
    Divock Origi has had a hand in 11 goals in his past 18 Premier League starts for Liverpool (seven goals, four assists).
    Sturridge's looks awful compared to that - 13 starts (in last two seasons), 3 goals, no assists. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

And now for The Fab Show:
    giphy.gif

That was sick, like watching Patrick Vieira in his pomp. Covers the ground so easily and makes a fair tackle. Watford player had no idea what was coming...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Next season promises so much from that area that has been most underwhelming - the central midfield. Fabby fully integrated, Keita up to speed, Ox-Cham back hopefully, Gini just being Gini, Milner as needed....

and Henderson on the bench! :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think that Milner will be heading to Leeds next season if they come up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Harry banging on with his anti Henderson agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

giphy.gif

Not going to lie - I got a semi watching that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

If we win the title I think it will be all the sweeter having let a 7 point lead slip, dug out tough points, come back from the brink and shown what this club is at it foundations.

I will honestly die happy if I see that and a UI..

Not going to lie - I got a semi watching that.
    The cheer from the crowd was great as well given it was a former Everton player he took the ball from.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

not yet wrote: »
    If we win the title I think it will be all the sweeter having let a 7 point lead slip, dug out tough points, come back from the brink and shown what this club is at it foundations.

I will honestly die happy if I see that and a UI..

Ah here, stop that talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Front 3 last night reminded me of an improved version of maxi carroll bellamy. Ahha
    Mane is always the one to pull the duck out of the fire.very cute player
    Origi scored a beauty from the left a few years ago also.
    Great result and a statement pf intent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Simone Mastrelli, 30, has pleaded guilty at Preston Crown Court to assaulting Liverpool fan Sean Cox outside Anfield stadium ahead of a Champions League tie between Liverpool FC and AS Roma last April.

https://twitter.com/PA/status/1101079823353634816

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Your table format is awful and even more difficult to read than the other guys list. Maybe it just looks funny on mobile though?

On desktop it's perfect. On mobile its all fcuked up :D

Here is a screen grab of the table so its viewable on mobiles :)

8bs1xHy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm not mad then :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I'm not mad then :pac:

S03E04-uMBfN9wD-subtitled.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

we were brilliant, but Watford were imbeciles with their defensive line at times.

i don't know if they started believing their own form, but any manager worth his salt should know that unless you're Manchester City, the only way to take us on is to sit in deep, and go at us on the break.

it's what Utd were trying to do pre and post all their injuries on Sunday.
    it's what any team who've been successful against us this season, bar City and arguably PSG away, have done.

i appreciated their bravery, but it was stupid.

TAA showed his value all the same. my goodness, to have full backs on both sides who have a proper threat is priceless. the defence is just stretched automatically as you can't leave one on their own.

and a special word for Origi. he's firmly number 2 striker now. nevermind the nice finish for the goal - it was more his track back and tackle on Will Hughes at 5-0 up that gave me a semi. i won't begrudge him a move at the end of the season, but to have him in good form at all for this run-in would be fúcking massive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ratracer

Here is a screen grab of the table so its viewable on mobiles :)

8bs1xHy.jpg

So after the Spurs game, there could be a 7pt gap for city to close again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Spurs going the whole season so far without a single draw is a bit mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I have a feeling that beating Bayern Munich is very important *for* our chances of winning the league. While it would be a headache around the Chelsea game, it is also something that will distract and diminish the importance of the Chelsea game. It's tempting to want it to become a case of 'every game a cup final' and have players as rested as possible, BUT mentally it will be nice to have another ball in the air.

There will be a massive amount of spinning it either way when the tie is concluded in Munich, but that's how I see it anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement