Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I have a feeling that beating Bayern Munich is very important *for* our chances of winning the league. While it would be a headache around the Chelsea game, it is also something that will distract and diminish the importance of the Chelsea game. It's tempting to want it to become a case of 'every game a cup final' and have players as rested as possible, BUT mentally it will be nice to have another ball in the air.

There will be a massive amount of spinning it either way when the tie is concluded in Munich, but that's how I see it anyway.
    Yeah I'd go along with that. The better the run in the CL the less time they have to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

Vicxas wrote: »
    By all accounts City didn't play great last night at all.

The loss of Fernandinho does hurt them a lot

How long is he out for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

john why wrote: »
    How long is he out for?

Guardiola has indicated that Fernandinho and Laporte will both be out until after the international break. If that is the case, they'll miss: Bournemouth, Watford, Schalke and Swansea City.

Two league games you'd expect them to win, a Champions League game where they're leading and an FA Cup game they may have sat out anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

On desktop it's perfect. On mobile its all fcuked up :D

Here is a screen grab of the table so its viewable on mobiles :)

8bs1xHy.jpg

Us having Chelsea at home and City having Palace away could be tricky for both sandwiched in between two CL ties.

City almost certainly through already. We still have a big job on our hands though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

First time Mane played central, won't be the last now, and with Origi's pace and work rate on right it's a formidable plan b. Could have unlocked United, but we'll never know.

• Advertisement

Us having Chelsea at home and City having Palace away could be tricky for both sandwiched in between two CL ties.

City almost certainly through already. We still have a big job on our hands though.

I expect we'll go out of CL, not the end of the world. Leaves us with only one opportunity for silverware, maybe it will focus minds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

First time Mane played central, won't be the last now, and with Origi's pace and work rate on right it's a formidable plan b. Could have unlocked United, but we'll never know.

I would have played Salah there myself, cause he's been largely room at RW for a while now, trying one trick too many or missing the simple ball. But it worked ok last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

does anyone fancy going back to scoring **** loads of goals?

Yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭giveitholly

IF we do get through in the champions league and get drawn against City again or even spurs it would make it very interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I have a feeling that beating Bayern Munich is very important *for* our chances of winning the league. While it would be a headache around the Chelsea game, it is also something that will distract and diminish the importance of the Chelsea game. It's tempting to want it to become a case of 'every game a cup final' and have players as rested as possible, BUT mentally it will be nice to have another ball in the air.

There will be a massive amount of spinning it either way when the tie is concluded in Munich, but that's how I see it anyway.

Chelsea will have the EL around that stage too I would imagine and could be in the position then of putting all the eggs into that basket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Mane played where he always plays. the way our front 3 plays is fluid and always is.

Salah was in central positions yesterday.
    as was Origi.
    as was Mane.

it's just that Mane scored the goals yesterday. there has been no difference in the positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Anywhere to watch the full motd show from last night, my recording failed, can't get the iplayer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

SlickRic wrote: »
    Mane played where he always plays. the way our front 3 plays is fluid and always is.

as was Origi.
    as was Mane.

it's just that Mane scored the goals yesterday. there has been no difference in the positions.

I have to disagree with that one, I'm afraid.

Their starting positions were different. Mane was the clear central player, Salah out right and Origi left.

Salah has been starting more out right in the past four games since the switch back to 4-3-3.

Before that he was more the central position, Firmino behind him, and Mane was either out right or left, depending on whether Keita or Shaqiri was playing.

Yeah they are fluid, for sure, but I do think there's been a noticeable shift in the formation and positioning in the past two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Lovren due back March 10th, Gomez Mar 31. Wonder will Klopp stick with Matip or bring Lovren in straight away. They're both similar in that they can play very well but there's a mistake in them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Anywhere to watch the full motd show from last night, my recording failed, can't get the iplayer

https://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/2019/02/27/bbc-match-of-the-day-week-28/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Mane was definitely through the middle and Salah barely left the right hand side, was a chalk on his boots winger style performance and Origi was up and down the left all night. I think Klopp even talked about it being a different position for Mane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

In summary there was less horizontal movement between the front three last night than all season previously! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

SlickRic wrote: »

as was Origi.
    as was Mane.

Every single thing I remember Salah doing was on the right.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Every single thing I remember Salah doing was on the right.

Ya, Salah last night was predominately in a similar position to what he was in last season. He did a few things much better yesterday, but just didn't click with the end product. Hopefully he can get his 50 up on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Origi showed himself fully match fit last night and ran nonstop for the full 90+ minutes.

That can only be a good thing going into the next 10 weeks.

• Advertisement

Origi showed himself fully match fit last night and ran nonstop for the full 90+ minutes.

That can only be a good thing going into the next 10 weeks.

Would hate to look back at the Old Trafford game at the end of the season wondering why to God didn't he bring on Origi for Firmino. Even before last night it was clear Divock could fit into the system nicely enough. He has the pace, energy, movement and flair to contribute so much more than Sturridge.

That Italian guy who pleaded guilty to assaulting Sean Cox just got a 3 1/2 year sentence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

5starpool wrote: »
    Ya, Salah last night was predominately in a similar position to what he was in last season. He did a few things much better yesterday, but just didn't click with the end product. Hopefully he can get his 50 up on Sunday.

I know he's got 17 league goals so is scoring decently but lately, hd just seems to get the ball, run toward the box and hope for the best. Most of the time, he's dealt with.

I'm probably not vigilant enough and miss out on things other people may notice but that's what I noticed from him the past month or so.

Would hate to look back at the Old Trafford game at the end of the season wondering why to God didn't he bring on Origi for Firmino. Even before last night it was clear Divock could fit into the system nicely enough. He has the pace, energy, movement and flair to contribute so much more than Sturridge.

I wonder was Klopp’s thinking that Sturridge might be up for a big game away at Man U.

All Sturridge showed was that he is finally done a big time player. Something most fans have said for a while now.

Hopefully Klopp is now done with too and his place on the bench can be taken up by a player who can offer something when called on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

That Italian guy who pleaded guilty to assaulting Sean Cox just got a 3 1/2 year sentence

an absolute joke of a sentence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

We were ****e againts man u no urgency, we werent any good in the first 20 and origi wouldnt have changed it. Only game that should be looked back on is the game against city in january...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

an absolute joke of a sentence

All sentences these days are a joke.

A guy who killed a man with one punch on a night out just got a suspended sentence.

Main thing for Sean Cox is that he's alive, awake and hopefully can make as much of a full recovery as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

rob316 wrote: »
    Mane and Salah in the Top 5 league scorers and they aren't even strikers.

10 to go, this is the home stretch. 9 wins will be enough to win it I believe.
    It a good run in for both teams, city at united could be key. We should be beating Spurs and Chelsea at home but Saints away could be a really tough one.

LIVERPOOL

March 3 Everton (A)

March 10 Burnley (H)

March 17 Fulham (A)

March 31 Tottenham Hotspur (H)

April 5 Southampton (A)

April 14 Chelsea (H)

April 21 Cardiff City (A)

April 26 Huddersfield (H)

May 4 Newcastle United (A)

May 12 Wolves (H)

MANCHESTER CITY

March 2 Bournemouth (A)

March 9 Watford (H)

March 30 Fulham (A)

April 6 Cardiff City (H)

April 14 Crystal Palace (A)

April 20 Tottenham (H)

April 24 Man United (A)

April 28 Burnley (A)

May 4 Leicester City (H)

May 12 Brighton (A)

Brendan Rodgers could do us a big favour that day!!

We were ****e againts man u no urgency, we werent any good in the first 20 and origi wouldnt have changed it. Only game that should be looked back on is the game against city in january...

Given Sturridge came on with half an hour gone more or less we've no idea what kind of effect Origi, someone who fits the system much better, would have had.

Sturridge kills any kind of fluency up front with the other two.

• Advertisement

I feel for Sean Cox's family, all his life is worth which is essentially gone is 3 years seemingly. Probably won't even be that in the end.

That sh1t should be absolutely be made an example of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Given Sturridge came on with half an hour gone more or less we've no idea what kind of effect Origi, someone who fits the system much better, would have had.

Sturridge kills any kind of fluency up front with the other two.

Some people are still convinced it’s the Sturridge from 5 years ago despite him being injured for 4 of the last 5 and sh!te for the other 1.

Can’t see ‘The Rodgers’ doing us any favours either. His teams will play right into City’s hands, although I think some people would love to be able to give him credit for it if we won it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

We have more clean sheets than goals conceded..that's amazing after 28 games.

Looking forward to hearing what song they come up with for fabinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Lovren due back March 10th, Gomez Mar 31. Wonder will Klopp stick with Matip or bring Lovren in straight away. They're both similar in that they can play very well but there's a mistake in them too.

Personally I'd stick with Matip, very good footballer and likes to break out with the ball. With Fabinho in front to take it or drop in to let Matip go on seems to suit both of them.

Lovren is probably a better last line defender but his problem is he isn't as good as he thinks he is. He has brain farts and makes mistakes, more so than Matip.

Saying that, Lovren was immense in the CL final and had a very good world cup.
    Both being fit gives a very good selection headache. Start Matip against teams who sit and Lovren against footballing teams maybe?

If Gomez is fit he starts before both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

‘January....he’s going on loan in January...’

It’s a work in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

You'd swear it was Sturridges fault he was brought on at OT, blame Klopp. It's obvious he's finished to everybody except Klopp seemingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Some people are still convinced it’s the Sturridge from 5 years ago despite him being injured for 4 of the last 5 and sh!te for the other 1.

Sturridge from 13/14 wasnt going to make a difference sunday, the whole team was turgid .no flow. United didnt even have to stifle us,we were toxic. Compare that to the difference pf milner in the first few minutes against watford. Pressing,closing down,really set the tone. Compltely different.

You'd swear it was Sturridges fault he was brought on at OT, blame Klopp. It's obvious he's finished to everybody except Klopp seemingly.

I don't blame Sturridge as he's finished. All down to Klopp.

We have more clean sheets than goals conceded..that's amazing after 28 games.

F.A.B.U.L.O.U.S...... Fab

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The amount of times Ive read on boards that teams have now figured out how to stop liverpool playing after a few poor attacking performances is unreal. Like all the other times this was said they havent. Just not quite clicking at the minute. It happens to all teams and then it turns around.

As I was saying the team havent been figured out. They also havent been bottling anything just have had a few below par performances. SSN and social media really need to be ignored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Can’t see ‘The Rodgers’ doing us any favours either. His teams will play right into City’s hands, although I think some people would love to be able to give him credit for it if we won it.

If on the same day we hammer Newcastle to make goal difference void and Rodgers beats City to guarantee us the league I'll give both those guys credit and invite them to the last game of the season to raise the trophy!!!

Rafa definitely deserves to be part of the celebrations for all he did for the club AND beating City in January!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Compilation of Fabinho's touches from last night

He looks like an absolute nuisance to play against with the combo of strength, speed and knack for robbing the ball or putting you off just enough to disrupt the play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Wouldn't agree with that. He's shown himself to be reasonably pragmatic. He started off going tiki-taka possession with Liverpool, then when it wasn't quite working, found success with much more of a lightning-quick counter attacking style.

Went back to dominating possession in Scotland, when that's obviously what works up there.

I'd be confident that in the shorter term he'll bring Leicester back to the same style of football that served them well against City over the past few years. Solid in possession and defence, and vicious on the counter.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

dogbert27 wrote: »
    If on the same day we hammer Newcastle to make goal difference void and Rodgers beats City to guarantee us the league I'll give both those guys credit and invite them to the last game of the season to raise the trophy!!!

Rafa definitely deserves to be part of the celebrations for all he did for the club AND beating City in January!! :)

Slow down there dogbert...

Sterling playing games

"When I was there, I felt a lot more pressure than I do here. On match days the fans( add pressure) , and I think that did get to us a little bit,"

"We were in control. We had the opportunity to see it through and we didn't do that.

"Here, we are completely focused on each game and winning each game."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Sterling playing games

"When I was there, I felt a lot more pressure than I do here. On match days the fans( add pressure) , and I think that did get to us a little bit,"

"We were in control. We had the opportunity to see it through and we didn't do that.

Generic, homogenous, vague, claptrap.

I read that as a critique of the Citzens lack of interest in their own teams fortunes (other than that they have a fortune to back them)

What a cast!

2RUjm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Sterling playing games

There's an emotional bond between fans and players at Liverpool (trite as that may sound) which doesn't exist at many grounds and most certainly does not exist at the Etihad. It's a soulless place, rarely seems full and there seems to be a remarkable disconnect between consistent success on the pitch and the atmosphere around it.

Give me our occasional bearpit atmosphere where Robertson's zeal in closing down their keeper last season is valued as much as Salah lobbing him from 40 yards out.

If that equates to 'adding pressure', sod off. I'll have Anfield every day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

And Djimi Traoré is there too!

Good to see UEFA see past his crap, and ban him for two games. Would be great to draw them next if we get through and for Salah to stick 3 past them as he sits on bench.
    Two game ban for getting booked on purpose.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement