Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Carra with the last word as the credits run

''they celebrated like they won the world cup final''

Says more about him than anything else! Not fit for TV that chap...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

noodler wrote: »
    It's been hinted at, but how good has Matip been?

Has done excellently in both defence and bringing the ball out of defence.

I'm feeling less down about this game than I did the Utd, Leicester or West Ham ones.

Matip deserves serious praise. He will always be in VVD's shadow though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

NukaCola wrote: »
    Exactly, who's the replacement with Firmino already out......also, Salah had a golden opportunity to score so even though he's not on fire he still had probably the best chance of the game....he's not going to keep missing those chances. I dont think anyone would drop their top scorer going through a bad patch would they? Not unless the backup is of similar standard.

And that is Klopps job this summer....he has to find 4-5 top players, either internally or buy and get rid of 5-6 who are not up to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The back 6 have been outstanding and have been the basis for where the club are right now in the season.

Alisson

TAA
    Matip
    VVD
    Robbo

Fab

The front 5 have been very solid this season however the have also been very inconsistent.

Gini
    Henderson

Salah
    Bobby
    Mane----

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Genie inconsistent? You're having a laugh mate. Our best midfielder all season. Today was the only day where his performance levels dropped

Also fab has only played himself into the team that last couple of months. We wouldn't be in the position we are if it wasn't for the likes of hendo, genie, milner etc forming that basis for us now with nine games to go, one point behind.

Fantastic as hes been the last few games don't make out like fabinho was any where we needed him to be in the first half of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

jpboard1 wrote: »
    Matip deserves serious praise. He will always be in VVD's shadow though

Good, I don't like when there's much of a gap for a striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Disappointing result today but one way to look at it now is that the pressure is off us somewhat.

Let's face it, everyone else thinks we have already bottled it and the title is in city's hands.
    What is there to lose now? unless we completely collapse we should be finishing in the top 4 at least, hopefully if we can string a few good results together from here we can keep the pressure on City and take advantage of any slip ups they make, and I think there will be more twists in this title race yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's a tale of two halves alright since Christmas, what's frustrating is that Klopp still doesn't quite trust his own defence despite all evidence suggesting he should. Fielding Fab and Hendo is just horribly conservative, he played as much not to lose that game as to win it which obviously Liverpool would have done if Salah were in any decent form in front of goal. It is the fact he is holding back the attack from the midfield that is concerning, at HT it was clear that there was one too many in the middle and one to few attacking space being left by Everton and yet the change was possibly the least effective possible - Lallana, a ball carrier of modest pace who was somehow supposed to find a killer pass as Everton started to believe they could get something greater than a point out of the match. In this respect it turns out Klopp is as much a pragmatist as Rafa was in such circumstances, which not what I expected it's fair to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Just fyi, criticising aspects of our performances over the last while, including today, is not turning your back on the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Gini was terrible yet Milner was worse
    Origi was average at best but firmino was embarrassing bad
    Mane poor too yet lallana was worse
    Sums up Liverpool’s day and how the substitutions went
    Now we can’t blame Klopp for the three subs being atrocious but definitely feel two of them were the wrong decision and that’s not hindsight talking

• Advertisement

Alisson has 17 clean sheets in 29 league games the best record for a keeper in his debut since Reina who had 20 in 38.

So someone in red will be winning something then!

Milner was a very odd sub. We had fab and Hendo on the field , why bring in another grafter? Thought keita might have got a run.

Still, we gained a point on city today. Nothing in it. 9 games still play. Let's see where it goes.

Everton crowd celebrating a nil all draw at home today like they won the league. This alone just cements their place as a mid table team for years to come. Absolutely no ambition and always settling for second best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Milner was a very odd sub. We had fab and Hendo on the field , why bring in another grafter? Thought keita might have got a run.

Still, we gained a point on city today. Nothing in it. 9 games still play. Let's see where it goes.

Everton crowd celebrating a nil all draw at home today like they won the league. This alone just cements their place as a mid table team for years to come. Absolutely no ambition and always settling for second best.

The Anfield crowd would have done the same back in the fergie days.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    The Anfield crowd would have done the same back in the fergie days.

Wrong.

Name one game....

*Edit: tumbleweed.... yep. Didn't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Alisson has 17 clean sheets in 29 league games the best record for a keeper in his debut since Reina who had 20 in 38.

15 conceded in 29 games. 50 less than Fulham which is kinda mental.
    Still our defence hasn't been an issue in large part thanks to Van Dijk. I can't explain what happened at the other end of the pitch as it's feast or famine up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

keano25 wrote: »
    A day that will be remembered for years, nay decades, as the Grand Old Team produce their best display of the season to cement their position in the lofty heights of 10th. Evertonians will regale this tale through the generations. "I was there the night we scraped a 0-0 at home against Liverpool", they'll say, a wistful tear in their eye. The greatest atmosphere that Goodison has seen in years was a suitable backdrop to this monumental achievement by the heroes in blue. The roar at the finish, as each Evertonian was secure in their minds that 10th was theirs and theirs alone, was a fitting finale.

10th or 2nd there’s not much of a difference. No trophy’s for either!celebrations for ending a terrible run against Liverpool in the derby I’d guess more so the celebrating 10th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

The problem up top isn't our forwards its our midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Big change from last season when 2nd (aka first if you don’t include City) was something to be celebrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Big change from last season when 2nd (aka first if you don’t include City) was something to be celebrated.

And now 10th is the same as 2nd!!

• Advertisement

shamrock55 wrote: »
    The problem up top isn't our forwards its our midfield

Salah had two great chances today, one created by our CM, the other by our CB. Fabinho had one from a CB knock down. Could easily have been 3-0 and everything is hunky dorey.
    If anything it's our attack not creating enough for themselves .
    Salah has been off form for a good while now, Bobby too. Only for mane carrying the team somewhat we wouldn't be where we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

And now 10th is the same as 2nd!!

champions league doesn't exist anymore just like the fa cup in 2000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

MrMac84 wrote: »
    10th or 2nd there’s not much of a difference. No trophy’s for either!celebrations for ending a terrible run against Liverpool in the derby I’d guess more so the celebrating 10th

lol you do know last seasons game at Goodison Park was also 0-0, in fact last 10 games at Everton were

2018-19 0-0
    2017-18 0-0
    2016-17 0-1
    2015-16 1-1
    2014-15 0-0
    2013-14 3-3
    2012-13 2-2
    2011-12 0-2
    2010-11 2-0
    2009-10 0-2

So last 10 league games at Goodison have been 3 wins to Liverpool 1 win to Everton and 6 draws, so today was not ending any bad room of form unless Everton had of won, in fact a draw looked like to be the most likely outcome

lol you do know last seasons game at Goodison Park was also 0-0, in fact last 10 games at Everton were

2018-19 0-0
    2017-18 0-0
    2016-17 0-1
    2015-16 1-1
    2014-15 0-0
    2013-14 3-3
    2012-13 2-2
    2011-12 0-2
    2010-11 2-0
    2009-10 0-2

So last 10 league games at Goodison have been 3 wins to Liverpool 1 win to Everton and 6 draws, so today was not ending any bad room of form unless Everton had of won, in fact a draw looked like to be the most likely outcome

Ah now citytillidie stop telling the truth,it doesn't sound as good

So what you're really saying is Everton have been celebrating 7 out of the last 10 Merseyside derbys at home like they won the league?

The bar is raised so high in goodison.

ERG89 wrote: »
    15 conceded in 29 games. 50 less than Fulham which is kinda mental.
    Still our defence hasn't been an issue in large part thanks to Van Dijk. I can't explain what happened at the other end of the pitch as it's feast or famine up there.

Thats what I can't understand. We were unreal upfront against watford. Thought that was going to be the spark to push on. And then brutal up front today. Can only put it down to nerves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

jpboard1 wrote: »
    Thats what I can't understand. We were unreal upfront against watford. Thought that was going to be the spark to push on. And then brutal up front today. Can only put it down to nerves.

Also salah doesn’t have a right foot

Since Salah got to that 49 goal mark he as been having a mare at shooting.

He needs that 50th goal to get his mojo back again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

9 games to go, anything can happen. I do predict I wont last on this forum though.

• Advertisement

Salah has become far too easy to read, this summer he needs to be coached both on and off the pitch to work with his right foot.

Also salah doesn’t have a right foot

I think they should switch him out to the left. Give him some time as a proper winger. Stretch the play. And the change might wake him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Jesus lads there's some amount of negativity in here. 1pt behind with 9 games left. City have injuries to a few key players and have FA Cup, Champions league to contend with along with league. Liverpool have the handier run in, might actually be a blessing in disguise to go out to Bayern Munich and just focus on the last few games. 4 wins and 4 draws from the last 8 games is far from capitulation in my eyes, you only have to look at Spurs to see the definition of capitulation .

I'd still have Liverpool as slight favourites and I take no pleasure is saying that!!

Jesus lads there's some amount of negativity in here. 1pt behind with 9 games left. City have injuries to a few key players and have FA Cup, Champions league to contend with along with league. Liverpool have the handier run in, might actually be a blessing in disguise to go out to Bayern Munich and just focus on the last few games. 4 wins and 4 draws from the last 8 games is far from capitulation in my eyes, you only have to look at Spurs to see the definition of capitulation .

I'd still have Liverpool as slight favourites and I take no pleasure is saying that!!

But its the narrative now to say Liverpool are bottlers,suppose its the power of social media these days,I expect it from opposition fans as it is part of the banter but when I see "Liverpool" fans call their own players bottlers I wonder what age they are,fair enough criticise their performance and form but I do wonder at times what goes through people's heads,not sure about us been slight favourites after today though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Klopp getting mad when questioned about 7 draws but City have 4 defeats but are above us, hinting at fact we don't go for the win when we should be. If we did go win one of those drawn games we would be top, it's a fair point I think.

When Salah was through on goal early in game his second touch was to bring him right, then turned to shoot with left. One trick finisher. Should have cut in so he'd be more central, cut across the body of the Everton defenders while in box, if they touch him it's a pen, if they don't it's an easier finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Fill your boots.

474587.PNG

One thing that's been bugging the **** out of me for a while now is the serious lack of shooting from outside the box, the last goal I can remember us scoring was sturridge against Chelsea, we seem to want to walk the ball into the net and score the perfect goal, why don't we shoot more, our midfielders especially never seem to have a crack

5 goals from midfield all season, shocking. It's like they go on the pitch with no intention of even trying to score.

5 goals from midfield all season, shocking. It's like they go on the pitch with no intention of even trying to score.

It's embarrassing tbh, I've no problem saying this but fab would be the only midfield starter I'd have in that team, we need 2 more attack minded players alongside him, gini and hendo are grand as back up, why the hell are we playing with 3 defensive minded midfielders it makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

shamrock55 wrote: »
    It's embarrassing tbh, I've no problem saying this but fab would be the only midfield starter I'd have in that team, we need 2 more attack minded players alongside him, gini and hendo are grand as back up, why the hell are we playing with 3 defensive minded midfielders it makes no sense

Errr, really? Have you forgotten about our complete inability shut any game down last season? Do you think this season's midfield might have something to do with us conceding so few goals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Well we're doing pretty good without too many goals from the mid so something must be going to plan but I would like to see our midfield go beyond our front three occasionally. I cant really remember that many instances and the only one that springs to mind is Gini's lob.

Gini's lob and the other 4 goals came in games that we were already winning. Our midfield haven't put a single point on the table, they are not turning a 0-0 into a win. I still feel we're okay though, it's a one point gap. On paper our run in looks better. Watford back to winning, they're having a great season, face City away next. We could be top again next week, would not surprise me.

givyjoe wrote: »
    Errr, really? Have you forgotten about our complete inability shut any game down last season? Do you think this season's midfield might have something to do with us conceding so few goals?

Oh absolutely but what's the point in playing all 3 when looking to win a game or be on the front foot, you don't win games by keeping clean sheets, you wi games by scoring goals, all you need is one more goal then your opponent, last year was gung hó, this year all defensive, maybe nxt season we will get it right

Gini's lob and the other 4 goals came in games that we were already winning. Our midfield haven't put a single point on the table, they are not turning a 0-0 into a win. I still feel we're okay though, it's a one point gap. On paper our run in looks better. Watford back to winning, they're having a great season, face City away next. We could be top again next week, would not surprise me.

I don't get it city will wipe the floor with watford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Nerdlingr wrote: »

What are next weekend's lotto numbers? :rolleyes:

I think it was more a celebration of a good home performance after a run of bad games. A local derby with a good performance helped. Wind yer neck in! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

What are next weekend's lotto numbers? :rolleyes:

I think it was more a celebration of a good home performance after a run of bad games. A local derby with a good performance helped. Wind yer neck in! :P

Celebrating a home 0-0?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

noodler wrote: »
    Celebrating a home 0-0?

It was a derby, they put a dent in Liverpools title race, why would they not celebrate it? Considering their position and poor results of late, keeping a clean sheet and grabbing a point was a good result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

According to FF the bonus points went to TAA, VVD and Matip. Either the dude handing them out has a Liverpool defence or it ended up a reasonable point. Disappointing result for a us, a great win for the neutrals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

gimli2112 wrote: »
    According to FF the bonus points went to TAA, VVD and Matip. Either the dude handing them out has a Liverpool defence or it ended up a reasonable point. Disappointing result for a us, a great win for the neutrals.

Man of the Match for me was Michael Keane. We played into his hands a bit but he seemed to win everything. Great in the air and his challenge on Salah was excellent. We can talk about Salah's touch but he's a very dangerous player who regularly makes defenders look silly so to dive in and make that challenge in the 6-yd box and get it completely right was brave and probably saved them a goal. A different defender either let's him shoot or gives away a penalty.

Coleman was also decent but Keane gave one of those performances that average enough defenders annoyingly give against us regularly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Drawing 0-0 against our two biggest rivals away from home is not ‘bottling it’ or a shock result, it’s completely normal. A point at Old Trafford is always a good thing. Only for the Pickford howler at Anfield in the 96th minute it would have ended in another predictable draw, we were very lucky and Everton played really well.

The title is far from over. A lot of the pressure is on City now and they have not been great in their last few games. One point behind with 9 games to go, and all our tough games away from home out of the way is a very good position to be in.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement