Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Even if we don't win the EPL this league, it's been excellent so far and a rollercoaster ride of emotions.

Just like last year in the Champions League - great season

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm not sure what Liverpool have done in the last nearly 30 years to give fans a sense of entitlement and expectation that we'll get 100 points in a season. Every game we don't win is a disgrace and a tragedy. Lots of 'great' teams in the past won titles with totals that are far less than we will get this season. Clubs can only affect their own results really, and Liverpool are doing a great job in this regard in the main.

Since the start of last season we have only lost 1 game against a team not one of 'the big six'. That is phenomenal consistency. Probably a few too many draws alright, but there are so many more things to be optimistic about than annoyed. Life is too short to have those mood swings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Bookies odds are massively influenced by fools and their money though. They were probably seeing a heap of bets coming in on Liverpool to win the league and just slashed the odds to try and protect themselves somewhat if they did actually win it.

More nonsense you are dealing here with known factors it’s not a selling hurdle around Ludlow where money placed has a bearing on the market
    There seems to be a narrative in here bookmakers put Liverpool in at 1/4 for the craic
    Bookies don’t put up ricks too often and never in the case of premier league odds if they did the arbiters would have a field day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

If we get 92 points and don't win the league it will be tough dealing with the fact we blew it.

5starpool wrote: »
    I'm not sure what Liverpool have done in the last nearly 30 years to give fans a sense of entitlement and expectation that we'll get 100 points in a season. Every game we don't win is a disgrace and a tragedy. Lots of 'great' teams in the past won titles with totals that are far less than we will get this season. Clubs can only affect their own results really, and Liverpool are doing a great job in this regard in the main.

Since the start of last season we have only lost 1 game against a team not one of 'the big six'. That is phenomenal consistency. Probably a few too many draws alright, but there are so many more things to be optimistic about than annoyed. Life is too short to have those mood swings.

No loss of any kind in the league or Europe at Anfield since April 2017, more than 45 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

gimli2112 wrote: »
    If we get 92 points and don't win the league it will be tough dealing with the fact we blew it.

That makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Unless Liverpool conpletely fall apart and are not in the race for the last 3 or 4 games, any talk of them bottling it is just wind-ups. If they are still in it until the end and fall short it will be a case if City winning it, rather than Liverpool losing it. The next few games are crucial to make sure they keep pressure on City and take it to the wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭beya2009

No doubt pressure has got to us unfortunately. Although we are extremely hard to beat....5 draws in our last 7 games is simply not good enough to win the league because of how good Man City are. City still have to play Tottenham at home and Man U away so still a lot to play for.

The disappointing thing as well is that in a lot of those draws we played poorly. The 2nd half against Everton yesterday was shocking from us. Easy saying it now but I'm disappointed he's not using the creative talents of Shaqiri enough.

beya2009 wrote: »
    No doubt pressure has got to us unfortunately. Although we are extremely hard to beat....5 draws in our last 7 games is simply not good enough to win the league because of how good Man City are.

Salah being 1 goal away from the "fastest player to 50 PL goals with a single club" isn't helping at all

More nonsense you are dealing here with known factors it’s not a selling hurdle around Ludlow where money placed has a bearing on the market
    There seems to be a narrative in here bookmakers put Liverpool in at 1/4 for the craic
    Bookies don’t put up ricks too often and never in the case of premier league odds if they did the arbiters would have a field day

You've peddled this line a couple of times now. Where were Liverpool 1/4 at that point? It must have been a widely available price for you to be stating it so clearly repeatedly. Even if true, it was a price available for 1 day, nearly 4 months before the end of the season. City are widely (in most bookies on the oddschecker list) 1/3 at the minute (shorter in a couple of places). Will they be a laughing stock if they don't win the league?

From other posts I believe you are well into your 40's if not older, but you are as petulant as a 10 year old at times with your negativity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    70 points after 29 games with a goal difference of +49.

I'm not going to be annoyed, why would you be bothered? We have a great team in the midst of a great season. What will be will be, they've been great regardless.

Problem is , everytime we have a great season it never seems to coincide with the other tops teams being off their game.

If this was 15/16 we'd be 10 points clear at this stage. With spurs another 5 points back in 3rd.

I think the only thing we are missing is a top midfield playmaker imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Problem is , everytime we have a great season it never seems to coincide with the other tops teams being off their game.

If this was 15/16 we'd be 10 points clear at this stage. With spurs another 5 points back in 3rd.

You can only control your own performance in the final analysis. It'll be annoying to lose the league on 92 points, but not because of our performance. Just one of those things.

I will be disappointed if we don't win the league because of where we were most notable before the City game at the Etihad where we were perhaps unlucky not to come away with a point...such fine margins.

The most damaging draw must have been the draw to West Ham at home where we didn't play well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,579 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

gimli2112 wrote: »

So if City get 98 points and we get 92, how have we blown the league?

The most damaging draw must have been the draw to West Ham at home where we didn't play well.

You thinking of Leicester I assume? We drew away to West Ham. Both of those games are the standout disappointing ones in terms of results, but show me a season where any club hasn't had some of those. Even City last season drew at home to Huddersfield. The title was long won at that point, but still. They drew a couple of other games on paper they should have easily won too.

murpho999 wrote: »

We haven't, I thought that was obvious but am obviously more hungover than I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Oxlade-Chamberlain will make his comeback in the U23s game against Derby on Friday. Had been in the mix for tonight in the mini-derby against Everton but club decided it wasn't the right game for him.

Would love to see him back in action but reckon it will be next season before we see his best again. He was a huge player for us around this time last season and ticks a lot of the boxes for what is currently missing from the side.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

murpho999 wrote: »

Who is this guy called The League that is constantly getting oral favours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Social media is a pain in the hole when Liverpool drop points, there is just no getting away from it.

Some Liverpool supporters have no patience at all.They're the ones that are bottling not the team and management.

Totally agree. In the old days you only had to contend with your own mental anguish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Unless Liverpool conpletely fall apart and are not in the race for the last 3 or 4 games, any talk of them bottling it is just wind-ups. If they are still in it until the end and fall short it will be a case if City winning it, rather than Liverpool losing it. The next few games are crucial to make sure they keep pressure on City and take it to the wire.

How is that the case when at one stage we were 7points ahead, that to me is us losing it not city winning it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Social media is a pain in the hole when Liverpool drop points, there is just no getting away from it.

Some Liverpool supporters have no patience at all.They're the ones that are bottling not the team and management.
    What's been more painful for me is seeing repeated posts from the players on the likes of instagram with 'Not the result we wanted but we keep going til the end' etc.

I mean, I get it, what else are they going to say but it's pandering to the fúcking gob****es crying over a draw at the same time, unless they're being directed by the club for marketing purposes then I don't see why every game needs a post, particularly a set of draws where we've left the games behind us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So if Liverpool do win it would City have bottled it when they had a 4 point lead around December time?

You thinking of Leicester I assume? We drew away to West Ham. Both of those games are the standout disappointing ones in terms of results, but show me a season where any club hasn't had some of those. Even City last season drew at home to Huddersfield. The title was long won at that point, but still. They drew a couple of other games on paper they should have easily won too.

Yes sorry my bad I meant the Leicester game at home. That's true about blips along the way but since losing to City, we have dropped too many points.

I don't want to see us in this way but if we come up short in winning the league...will we be classed as nearly men? I think Klopp has lost his last 5 cup finals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

shamrock55 wrote: »
    How is that the case when at one stage we were 7points ahead, that to me is us losing it not city winning it

If we had kept that form up we would have beaten City's 100 point record - it's banana's form that couldn't even be matched by City's enormous squad, nevermind our own squad with it's shortcomings in places. We left the blocks incredibly quick but that level of performance could not be maintained over a 9 month season.

Up until Christmas we weren't great to watch in comparison to last year but the points haul and results were fantastic.

In 2019 we're not at 2ppg over 9 games and we are still not great to watch.

The change from last year's football is a stark contrast. If we could get 10/20% more attacking mojo into the current approach while maintaining much of our strong defence etc etc it's be great, IMO.

A great first half of a season doesn't cut much title challenging mustard if it's followed by a fair to good 2nd half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

D'Agger wrote: »
    What's been more painful for me is seeing repeated posts from the players on the likes of instagram with 'Not the result we wanted but we keep going til the end' etc.

I mean, I get it, what else are they going to say but it's pandering to the fúcking gob****es crying over a draw at the same time, unless they're being directed by the club for marketing purposes then I don't see why every game needs a post, particularly a set of draws where we've left the games behind us.

The players get coached in how they deal with the media so id say social media be no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

I think the only thing we are missing is a top midfield playmaker imo.

We need an out and out goalscoring No 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I think it's getting bad when people care what Dermot and Dave think.

Dermot and f*cking Dave. Let that sink in.

100% could not give a f*ck what fans of other teams think either. You think anyone who follows United wouldn't bite your hand off to be in the position we're in right now? They can get t'f*ck too.

Also 100% could not give a f*ck what any bellend looking for a few likes on twitter says about us bottling it, whether they support us or not. They can get f*cked too.

This team have given us one of the best seasons in my memory. They deserve to be cheered every f*cking second they are on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Reasons to be cheerful;

Toughest away fixture now out of the way. The remaining away games are all against bottom 6 teams.

Our home form has been brilliant this season - 12 wins from 14. It's not out of the question that we win all our remaining fixtures.

1 week closer to our key players returning from injury.

Man City picking up injuries to key players as a congested fixture list takes its toll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I don't even know who Dermot and Dave are.

In all honesty, I avoid football discussion outside of here, reddit and perhaps a select few articles or videos from time to time. It's just not worth it. It's all noise, for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I guess the belief was that we were playing the long game in terms of fitness by not going gung ho before Christmas thinking we would be fresher after Christmas so we wouldn't be struggling in games versus Everton, United, West Ham and Leicester. You would be expecting 9 or 10 points out of 12 there on paper, 7 at worst.

Then we put in a 5-0 performance against Watford that was full of energy. It's not making sense. It's uncertain what performance we will get in the next game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,376 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Laughing stock. Dermot & Dave.

Fcking hell. The nonsense that is peddled at times is amazing.

typical 'protected by Fergie's brilliance' 30-40 year old Utd fan nonsense that I'm hearing all the time now.

Fergie never competed with something like Pep's juggernaut, and when he came up against the closest thing to it (Mourinho's Chelsea in 04/05), he was soundly beaten. City are probably going to hit 100 points and 90+ in two successive seasons. that is a a mental standard for anyone to compete with, but that context doesn't suit the trolling.

unadulterated success for 20 years breeds a special kind of arrogance in some people. win or nothing is the mentality because they were brought up on nothing else. their view of how these things work, and how success is defined, is utterly warped and without context, because for Fergie, most of the time, context didn't matter. he bought substandard personnel more regularly than many would admit, but he was such a genius of a motivator, tactician, and most importantly, in-game psychologist, that it often didn't matter.

as Lloyd said, this team is doing great. we should keep expecting more, because that's healthy, but don't lose sight of how well the team are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭doc_17

I still think we have a hell of a chance. City having to go to Utd will be huge. In fact don't they play Spurs 4 days earlier? The battle for top 4 could be our saviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

doc_17 wrote: »
    I still think we have a hell of a chance.

1 point behind with 9 games to go. It's still a great position to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

Reasons to be cheerful;

Toughest away fixture now out of the way. The remaining away games are all against bottom 6 teams.

Our home form has been brilliant this season - 12 wins from 14. It's not out of the question that we win all our remaining fixtures.

1 week closer to our key players returning from injury.

Man City picking up injuries to key players as a congested fixture list takes its toll.

What key players have we out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

No doubt pressure has got to us unfortunately. Although we are extremely hard to beat....5 draws in our last 7 games is simply not good enough to win the league because of how good Man City are. City still have to play Tottenham at home and Man U away so still a lot to play for.

The disappointing thing as well is that in a lot of those draws we played poorly. The 2nd half against Everton yesterday was shocking from us. Easy saying it now but I'm disappointed he's not using the creative talents of Shaqiri enough.
    If we lost 2 of those games and won the others we'd be level with city now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Just enjoy it folks, it's a great season and we have a great team. The improvement from last year is fantastic, and completely unexpected in my opinion.

Sure, there is a lot of slagging going on now, bottlers etc. Let them have their fun, we'd do the same. But don't forget where this is coming from, they are ****ing terrified of us, absolutely terrified we might do it. That's when you know you are good :) We have been in Utd's situation where you are not even given a second thought because you are so far off the pace, so enjoy been hated.

And unlike previous "almost" seasons, we will continue to improve regardless of the outcome, we have the players, manager and the correct setup to continue pushing on. It's s great time to be an LFC fan :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

"Bottling" talk only gets to people who let it get to them.

If Liverpool finish 2nd within 5 points of Man City, then the result to look at is Man City Vs Liverpool. If we beat them instead of them beating us in that match at The Etihad, we'd have finished 1 point ahead of them. So the league comes down to who got the result that day, and if it's them then so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

spockety wrote: »
    "Bottling" talk only gets to people who let it get to them.

If Liverpool finish 2nd within 5 points of Man City, then the result to look at is Man City Vs Liverpool. If we beat them instead of them beating us in that match at The Etihad, we'd have finished 1 point ahead of them. So the league comes down to who got the result that day, and if it's them then so be it.

I'd also be looking at it is that city will probably need to win 16 game sin a row to be sure of the title. If a team does that, hats off. I'd have no issue coming second to a team that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

SlickRic wrote: »
    typical 'protected by Fergie's brilliance' 30-40 year old Utd fan nonsense that I'm hearing all the time now.

Fergie never competed with something like Pep's juggernaut, and when he came up against the closest thing to it (Mourinho's Chelsea in 04/05), he was soundly beaten. City are probably going to hit 100 points and 90+ in two successive seasons. that is a a mental standard for anyone to compete with, but that context doesn't suit the trolling.

unadulterated success for 20 years breeds a special kind of arrogance in some people. win or nothing is the mentality because they were brought up on nothing else. their view of how these things work, and how success is defined, is utterly warped and without context, because for Fergie, most of the time, context didn't matter. he bought substandard personnel more regularly than many would admit, but he was such a genius of a motivator, tactician, and most importantly, in-game psychologist, that it often didn't matter.

as Lloyd said, this team is doing great. we should keep expecting more, because that's healthy, but don't lose sight of how well the team are doing.

So a radio version of some board posters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The doomongers are right and wrong, by every measure City are a stronger squad and all things being equal should win the league. Them dropping silly points handed Liverpool the advantage and Liverpool blew that advantage as of now, it might not matter come 5 pm on the final Sunday but no matter how you slice it if City do win it'll be due to a few too many ****e performances in front of goal by the reds.

Knex. wrote: »
    I don't even know who Dermot and Dave are.

Jesus, i envy you.

Basically, I think the reason there are two of them, is so that when one of them stops talking, the other one can laugh uproariously, so the audience, know they've just done a funny.

spockety wrote: »
    "Bottling" talk only gets to people who let it get to them..........

Indeed.

so too folk disputing we were clear favourites at times to win the PL title, suck it up, we were favourites.........boohoo.
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    Bookies odds are massively influenced by fools and their money though. They were probably seeing a heap of bets coming in on Liverpool to win the league and just slashed the odds to try and protect themselves somewhat if they did actually win it.

I reckon bookies had taken enough money on city to win the PL before the season to ensure they were well covered when significant money came for Liverpool :)

.......... no matter how you slice it if City do win it'll be due to a few too many ****e performances in front of goal by the reds.

I don't think anyone could expect us to maintain the ppg that got us ahead of City in the table ........... now, the last 9 games have been admittedly uninspiring enough from us but over the course of a season you generally end up where you should be points wise.

jpboard1 wrote: »
    What key players have we out?

Gomez and Ox would be likely starters most weeks.

Lovern is probably 3rd choice CB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

SlickRic wrote: »

Hmmm, not sure I can agree with all of that. Ferguson took on Chelsea and stopped them winning 3 in a row, by winning 3 in a row himself :(

Wengers teams at the turn of the century were half decent too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,376 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Hmmm, not sure I can agree with all of that. Ferguson took on Chelsea and stopped them winning 3 in a row, by winning 3 in a row himself :(

Wengers teams at the turn of the century were half decent too.

show me a team who accumulates points like this City team. Chelsea 04/05 is the closest thing to it.

saying he took them on and won is correct, and fair play, but Chelsea's points accumulation went down. that's just fact. that's not saying Utd didn't deserve to win in that 3rd Mourinho year, because they did. they were the best team. but it's simple fact that they didn't have to win as many games or score as many points as teams have had to last season and this.

'the best team always wins' is true, but accumulation of points is a very specific skill - the ability to beat pretty much every team you're expected to is an incredible thing, and one Pep's teams, wherever he's at, have excelled at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

You've peddled this line a couple of times now. Where were Liverpool 1/4 at that point? It must have been a widely available price for you to be stating it so clearly repeatedly. Even if true, it was a price available for 1 day, nearly 4 months before the end of the season. City are widely (in most bookies on the oddschecker list) 1/3 at the minute (shorter in a couple of places). Will they be a laughing stock if they don't win the league?

From other posts I believe you are well into your 40's if not older, but you are as petulant as a 10 year old at times with your negativity.

I am replying to the earlier statement that Liverpool were never favourites which is absolute nonsense
    People like to comfort themselves by pretending we were never favourites but we were odds on for a month in what can be a very fluctuating market I admit and sometimes prices bet to 120% all odds history are available to see on Oddschecker site

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement