Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

Gomez and Ox would be likely starters most weeks.

Lovern is probably 3rd choice CB.

I wouldn't see them as key players though. And the ox still isn't a midfielder who will control a game and unlock defences. We badly need one of those.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Hmmm, not sure I can agree with all of that. Ferguson took on Chelsea and stopped them winning 3 in a row, by winning 3 in a row himself :(

Wengers teams at the turn of the century were half decent too.

They were all good teams in their time, but nothing like the point getters that City have become.

Utd have got 90+ points 3 times in PL history (I looked up tables), 92 in 93/94, 91 in 99/00 and 90 in 08/09 (when we got our highest total to date of 86. Utd's great achievements were in the consistency (scoring in the mid-upper 80's in multiple successive seasons) of performances across seasons, but only briefly did they face opponents who could get 90+ points (95 and 91 by Chelsea under Mourinho the first time) was the only time Ferguson's teams had to deal with it. Those achievements absolutely are not diminished because of this, but if Liverpool fail it has to be put into perspective in terms of the opponents they face in the race.

Even the Arsenal invincibles 'only' got 90 points. if Liverpool get 90+ points then the league won't have been blown. If City drop 10 points between now and the end of the season and Liverpool still don't win it then there could be a point, but we'll let the season play out before judging it, or I will anyhow (despite my reactions during and immediately after games at times).

I am replying to the earlier statement that Liverpool were never favourites which is absolute nonsense
    People like to comfort themselves by pretending we were never favourites but we were odds on for a month in what can be a very fluctuating market I admit and sometimes prices bet to 120% all odds history are available to see on Oddschecker site

Liverpool were very definitely favourites, but that means nothing really. We've had probably 2 results all season that were unexpected, the Leicester and West Ham results. Negativity is very much OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭beya2009

SlickRic wrote: »
    typical 'protected by Fergie's brilliance' 30-40 year old Utd fan nonsense that I'm hearing all the time now.

Fergie never competed with something like Pep's juggernaut, and when he came up against the closest thing to it (Mourinho's Chelsea in 04/05), he was soundly beaten. City are probably going to hit 100 points and 90+ in two successive seasons. that is a a mental standard for anyone to compete with, but that context doesn't suit the trolling.

unadulterated success for 20 years breeds a special kind of arrogance in some people. win or nothing is the mentality because they were brought up on nothing else. their view of how these things work, and how success is defined, is utterly warped and without context, because for Fergie, most of the time, context didn't matter. he bought substandard personnel more regularly than many would admit, but he was such a genius of a motivator, tactician, and most importantly, in-game psychologist, that it often didn't matter.

as Lloyd said, this team is doing great. we should keep expecting more, because that's healthy, but don't lose sight of how well the team are doing.

Just a much different landscape now to when Fergie was there as there is simply far more money in the game now. Pep is a genius of a coach but I don't think it's ridiculous to say he has been helped by large resources that enable him to outspend rival clubs significantly which was evident at Bayern and at Man City. I think in one of their recent games...he had like 280 million worth of talent on the bench...no other club in the league have that luxury.

Even a team like PSG is another prime example...they beat man u quite comfortably away from home with arguably 2 of their best players out in Neymar and Cavani.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/media-watch/340430-oxlade-chamberlain-set-for-liverpool-return

Ox being held back for the Derby match on Friday - match tonight is being televised and there are streams out there - would keep an eye on the squad in case he's on the bench and gets a few minutes. Otherwise it's 2pm on Friday - can't wait to see him again....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Spurs are losing the fight for a CL place, United and Arsenal both have them within sights now. United making it look easy to win games these days while we're looking like we've forgotten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Pressure is all on Liverpool. We have went from clear favourites to win the league to a laughing stock(for non LFC fans) within 2 months.

It's obviously hard not to be disappointed by the run of results we have been on in recent weeks. The nature of the results, i.e. seeming inability for Klopp to change the course of the game through substitutions, is what I am grappling with most if I am completely honest.

Your point about being clear favourites though, is somewhat disingenuous.

1. We were not favourites at the start of the season. A title challenge was expected but there wasn't exactly a high expectation that we could give it to City after the season they just had.

2. We have led the league for, what, 2 months of the 6/7 months of the season so far? We were always within touching distance of City before going top but couldn't quite get ahead of them until their surprising run of defeats. The media, and some fans, got very carried away by the 7 point lead but were were never going to stay top for the remainder of the season.

If you want to subscribe to the narrative that it was completely in our own hands and that we have bottled it, then go ahead. But it's an artificial narrative created by fans of competing clubs that desperately do not want this Liverpool team to win the league.

Chill out a bit and worry less about what fans of other clubs think. Trust your own opinion on the manager and squad. They are going through a blip, an inevitable one, so let's not let our own desperation as fans to win the league create even more unnecessary pressure than there already is. If you can't ignore them, rest comfortable in the knowledge that the more vocal they are, the worried they are about is succeeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Spurs are losing the fight for a CL place, United and Arsenal both have them within sights now. United making it look easy to win games these days while we're looking like we've forgotten

United couldn’t beat us at OT and were humiliated against PSG. Who have they beaten of note? Spurs are in a downwards spiral and Chelsea are in chaos. They barely beat Southampton on Saturday and drew with Burnley a few weeks ago. I can’t wait to see them get destroyed in Paris on Wednesday.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

beya2009 wrote: »
    Pep is a genius of a coach but I don't think it's ridiculous to say he has been helped by large resources that enable him to outspend rival clubs significantly which was evident at Bayern and at Man City. I think in one of their recent games...he had like 280 million worth of talent on the bench...no other club in the league have that luxury.

He's helped out by one of his most basic of tactics, the tactical foul.

On saturday both Man City and Bournemouth had 7 fouls each. In a game in which they ad 80% possession and nearly 20 shots to 0 this shouldn't be the case. They match most teams or outfoul most teams despite dominating possession in nearly every game they play. They lose possession and as quickly as possible will foul if they have to if it is in a non dangerous area of the pitch. They even did it against Rotherham and Burton.

Of their recent games, only Everton and West Ham saw a significant different in the number of fouls the to the opposition team. He did the same at Barca, I never really watched his Bayern team so can't really comment there, but he's doing it at City and getting away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

TitianGerm wrote: »

A load of balls to be honest. Most fans are just being realistic about what they see on the pitch and a trend in results. Just look at the amount of drawn games. I don't think the team have bottled it, but we don't have the same strength in depth City do, to cope with injuries and loss of form. I don't see how it can be argued they've bottled it.

The team don't really look a like a team that believes they're going to win the league. In the tough games where points have been dropped, very few players have stepped up to take any of the games by the scruff of the neck, by few I really mean none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

United couldn’t beat us at OT and were humiliated against PSG. Who have they beaten of note? Spurs are in a downwards spiral and Chelsea are in chaos. They barely beat Southampton on Saturday and drew with Burnley a few weeks ago. I can’t wait to see them get destroyed in Paris on Wednesday.

They've Beaten some of the teams who Liverpool are huffing and puffing to draw against at the moment. When United beat Spurs, spurs had lost only 1 of their previous 10-12 games.

Lots of team draw againstBurnley, and Soton have worked on making themselves hard to beat since Hughes was sacked. They've tested a lot of teams. I think they are Liverpool's toughest away match left.

One thing we can't do it change, that would be bottling it. Need to go out there with 4-3-3 against Burley and win the game. We need a goal scoring midfielder, Keita was suppose to be that, he averaged 10 goals a season in the 3 previous seasons before he joined us, has 0 this season. He seems to get chances and then takes forever to shoot, maybe this league is faster but he seems to take an eternity to shoot when in on goal. The ball is forever nicked away.

Also can I ask, what has Shaquiri done to fall down the pecking order? He was not very good against Wolves in the cup, but he wasn't alone, but he alone seems to be taking some sort of flak since then and sitting unused.

With the games remaining, they could do worse than revert to the high press and just bamboozle teams in the first 30 mins as much as possible.

No easy games in this league, they took 32pts from a possible 36pts last 12 games and are very much in title winning form, yes too late to challenge
    but they're in that type of form.

Capture51296.jpg

We need to go on a similar run now to win the league.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Also can I ask, what has Shaquiri done to fall down the pecking order? He was not very good against Wolves in the cup, but he wasn't alone, but he alone seems to be taking some sort of flak since then and sitting unused.

With the games remaining, they could do worse than revert to the high press and just bamboozle teams in the first 30 mins as much as possible.

We have no idea how he looks in training, etc. He was unavailable for a few games with niggly injuries, which didn't help, but he hasn't contributed anything the last couple of months when he has played. I thought Keita was at last starting to show some decent form, but he hasn't played a minute in the last 3/4 games. Klopp just trusts some players more than others I guess.

He came on in two games we were drawing lately and did zero, so that didn't help. Maybe it was Leicester and West Ham, but the guy came on and was invisible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The head scratching thing for me is the most creative attacking midfielder players we have are always kept on the bench against the big teams.

I'd love to see Klopp start either Shaq or Keita in those games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

While it's completely different season for many reasons, as this season goes down to the wire it's reminding me more and more of 13/14. Yes, that season was far more of a surprise than this season's challenge, but it looks like (assuming we don't keep dropping points) we could end up ahead of City but they'll have 1 or 2 games in hand and we'll be hoping they drop points, just like 13/14. Feck it, we even have a big game against Chelsea at home near the end of the league (though it's a little earlier this season compared to 13/14).

I'm trying so hard to appreciate how good this season has been, and how well we're doing, and how tough it is to go up against a team like City in a Title chase. But after 29 years it's really hard to not make it all or nothing; if we win the league it's amazing, if we don't it's a complete failure (even though it's not really). All the narrative about nerves and bottling it doesn't help, it's seems it's impossible for a team to be 'just not good enough' these days, they either win or bottle it. For example, we could win our last 9 games and not win the league, score 97 points, and still some people will say we bottled it 'cos of the few draws we've had recently, instead of just saying 'City were better'.

Anyhow, I just hope we shake off these results, string some wins together and keep the pressure on City...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

One thing we can't do it change, that would be bottling it. Need to go out there with 4-3-3 against Burley and win the game. We need a goal scoring midfielder, Keita was suppose to be that, he averaged 10 goals a season in the 3 previous seasons before he joined us, has 0 this season. He seems to get chances and then takes forever to shoot, maybe this league is faster but he seems to take an eternity to shoot when in on goal. The ball is forever nicked away.

I agree we desperately need some goals from midfield.

Our forwards have scored nearly 70% of our Premier League goals this season. It's too heavy a burden week in and week out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

He came on in two games we were drawing lately and did zero, so that didn't help. Maybe it was Leicester and West Ham, but the guy came on and was invisible.

Based on Keita he's unlikely to get game time if he finds form anyway.

5starpool wrote: »
    We have no idea how he looks in training, etc. He was unavailable for a few games with niggly injuries, which didn't help, but he hasn't contributed anything the last couple of months when he has played. I thought Keita was at last starting to show some decent form, but he hasn't played a minute in the last 3/4 games. Klopp just trusts some players more than others I guess.

But the same can be said for a lot of our players that are playing games. I just don't rate Henderson...I just doin't think he offers enough going forward and that might sound harsh but it's what I believe and Keita has been disappointing but he's had flashes of brilliance and will come good in time.

Even for our best player, Salah...he looks tired and has been a sleepwalker recently for games we needed him the most (ones we keep drawing).

But the same can be said for a lot of our players that are playing games. I just don't rate Henderson...I just doin't think he offers enough going forward and that might sound harsh but it's what I believe and Keita has been disappointing but he's had flashes of brilliance and will come good in time.

Even for our best player, Salah...he looks tired and has been a sleepwalker recently for games we needed him the most (ones we keep drawing).

Klopp obviously sees what Henderson (who gets very harsh comments) and Milner bring that Keita or Shaqiri don't do enough of for his likes in the bigger games especially.

Salah is going to keep his place for 3 reasons.
    1. To drop him would be have too much focus put on that decision.
    2. He is fit.
    3. (and most importantly) we don't have enough quality in the positions he plays to have anyone else play there.

Salah has been between ok and poor for most games this season. I don't know what the current cause of his recent awfulness around the box has been, but I'm hoping it's something he can get over soon.

It'd be great to have the likes of Fekir (who I would be surprised to go back in for) and Werner (who I know we won't be getting) as well as our current front 3 for a constant threat with top level rotation to suit opponents, but I don't think we will be in that position any time soon. We miss the threat of Oxlade-Chamberlain that he brought in the second half of last season, and I was hoping Keita would be able to replicate that (he still may), but we have become a little to devoid of ideas in the final third recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

The head scratching thing for me is the most creative attacking midfielder players we have are always kept on the bench against the big teams.

I'd love to see Klopp start either Shaq or Keita in those games.

Klopp isn't a fool and we can only assume he's seeing something we're not in regards to Shaq and Keita. Posters crying about him bringing on Lallana but what does that say about the other two?

I agree we desperately need some goals from midfield.

Our forwards have scored nearly 70% of our Premier League goals this season. It's too heavy a burden week in and week out.

We no doubt could do with midfielders chipping in with some more goals but when you play a front 3 you'd expect them to be scoring 70% of our goals surely?

We had enough chances to win two games yesterday, on another day it's an easy win.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Klopp isn't a fool and we can only assume he's seeing something we're not in regards to Shaq and Keita. Posters crying about him bringing on Lallana but what does that say about the other two?

He will bring Shaq into a game where there is space between the opposition midfield and defense.
    He will bring in Keita when the opposition is falling to a back 6 so he can carry the ball up the pitch.
    Lallana was brought on yesterday as he can make space for himself between tight lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Klopp sees him in training every day, we don't - so there's no point asking us!

The high press had a part to play in the evolution of the team, I know you were suggesting it out of whimsy but Klopp is not going to change team tactics in a knee-jerk response to a nil all draw.. He does nothing in short term measures.
    More playstation stuff I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

I think the past few months have shown where our weaknesses are in comparison to Man City. We haven't had much impact off the bench and we don't have midfielders who can chip in with goals and decisive attacking moments when our 3 forward players aren't firing.

It's unfair to place the blame for some goalless games purely on the 3 attacking players, Salah in particular is getting over the top scrutiny (he looks a little lacking in confidence). The front 3 look like they are feeling the burden and pressure of winning these games on their own as they know our midfield won't be stepping up in an attacking sense. City's front 3 misfire from time to time, but when they do they usually have a performance or goals from a D. Silva, B. Silva, De Bruyne, Gundogan or a players like Sane, Mahrez who they can spring from the bench. In recent games if we miss an early chance or two the confidence seems to drain from the team. We really seem to need that early goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I think the past few months have shown where our weaknesses are in comparison to Man City. We haven't had much impact off the bench and we don't have midfielders who can chip in with goals and decisive attacking moments when our 3 forward players aren't firing.

It's unfair to place the blame for some goalless games purely on the 3 attacking players, Salah in particular is getting over the top scrutiny (he looks a little lacking in confidence). The front 3 look like they are feeling the burden and pressure of winning these games on their own as they know our midfield won't be stepping up in an attacking sense. City's front 3 misfire from time to time, but when they do they usually have a performance or goals from a D. Silva, B. Silva, De Bruyne, Gundogan or a players like Sane, Mahrez who they can spring from the bench. In recent games if we miss an early chance or two the confidence seems to drain from the team. We really seem to need that early goal.

Totally agree we just don't have the quality thst City have in reserve and that needs to seriously adressed this summer regardless if we win or lose the league now. Origi and Sturridge are just not good enough back up for teams with aspirations for a league and champions league.

ricero wrote: »
    Totally agree we just don't have the quality thst City have in reserve and that needs to seriously adressed this summer regardless if we win or lose the league now. Origi and Sturridge are just not good enough back up for teams with aspirations for a league and champions league.

Whether you like it or not, we don't have the same resources that City or Utd have. A large % of our spending in the last 18 months has been because of the Coutinho money. We will have money to spend in the summer, but a modest amount compared to last summer I suspect.

Your point is right, but I wouldn't be too upset if we have a mixture of youth and some mid level replacements for the likes of Sturridge and Origi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Klopp complaining about the wind does my head in but I remember a time when a certain person blamed a defeat on the colour of the kit his team wore and also on a dodgy pitch after rugby was played on it. They all chat sh!te from time to time cos its better than blaming the players.

As for other clubs fans, I really don't give a sh!te what they think, outside of Chelsea, they'd be better off wondering why their own teams haven't been able to challenge a Pep team for a league. Maybe "next year is their year"

Fair play to all those staying positive in this thread, I am too, long way to go and there will be twists and turns, just going to enjoy this fantastic team for the rest of the season and see where it takes us, there'll be absolutely no shame in losing to that team if we do. As Pep himself says, we're having our best ever league season and are still behind, that's how good they are not a reflection of us being sh!t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Sturridge is not good enough for the PL.

But he did get us a point against Chelsea which I hope is crucial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

MD1990 wrote: »
    Sturridge is not good enough for the PL.

But he did get us a point against Chelsea which I hope is crucial.

Would not surprise me if he went to the States.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He might have to go to the States or China if he gets banned for the gambling thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

superg wrote: »
    As Pep himself says, we're having our best ever league season and are still behind, that's how good they are not a reflection of us being sh!t

If it wasn't for them fiddling the books, liverpool would be approaching title number 20 (at least). It really makes me sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm 100% of the view that Klopp is in danger of stymieing his own progress - he knew the defence needed improvement and he went out and got the players needed so, and this is the crux of the matter, he does not need to protect it with Henderson and AN Other playing deep. One CM/DM really is enough.

Stats are the be all and end all these days and I've a horrid feeling his team of propellerheads has decided that "in the big games against opposition that can be cagey and hardworking we need to be cagey just in case we let one in and can't score two" - that it's better to draw 0-0 than to lose. Trouble with this approach is that you risk drawing too many games for lack of a midfield on the front foot.

With Ox-Cham coming back and assuming for a moment he is fixed and gets up to speed in a couple of games will Klopp still play a midfield three which is effectively a double six plus an 8.

What I fear is that Klopp has decided that rather than unleash the beast which is what many of us said we thought would happen on the run in he actually goes all Rafa and plays it tight and cagey to the end hoping he can eek out nine tight controlled wins in a row and see if City stumble at least once. If this is his thinking I fear the worst cos the front three need all the help they can get right now - attacking full backs, dynamic midfield with two in front of the ball feeding Salah and Firmino in particular (Mane is more likely to produce something out of a half chance or even no chance as he is the naturally more chaotic forward for good or ill).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Origi and Sturridge are just not good enough back up for teams with aspirations for a league and champions league.

Is that the same Daniel Sturridge who has a Premier League and Champions League winners medal as a back up?

What I fear is that Klopp has decided that rather than unleash the beast which is what many of us said we thought would happen on the run in he actually goes all Rafa and plays it tight and cagey to the end hoping he can eek out nine tight controlled wins in a row and see if City stumble at least once. If this is his thinking I fear the worst cos the front three need all the help they can get right now - attacking full backs, dynamic midfield with two in front of the ball feeding Salah and Firmino in particular (Mane is more likely to produce something out of a half chance or even no chance as he is the naturally more chaotic forward for good or ill).

I doubt that's the plan but if it is then yesterday's result might well have him put his thinking cap back on.
    8-10 wrote: »
    Is that the same Daniel Sturridge who has a Premier League and Champions League winners medal as a back up?

To be fair, they're from 5 years + ago and he had little part to play in either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

8-10 wrote: »

He's clearly not talking about pre 2015 Daniel Sturridge but the one that we've watched try to run for the last 4 years and struggle to even do that. And his contributions when winning those trophies.

PL - 13 appearances - 1 goal
    CL - 7 appearances - 0 goals

I like Sturridge but he's finished as any type of option for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I'm 100% of the view that Klopp is in danger of stymieing his own progress - he knew the defence needed improvement and he went out and got the players needed so, and this is the crux of the matter, he does not need to protect it with Henderson and AN Other playing deep. One CM/DM really is enough.

Stats are the be all and end all these days and I've a horrid feeling his team of propellerheads has decided that "in the big games against opposition that can be cagey and hardworking we need to be cagey just in case we let one in and can't score two" - that it's better to draw 0-0 than to lose. Trouble with this approach is that you risk drawing too many games for lack of a midfield on the front foot.

With Ox-Cham coming back and assuming for a moment he is fixed and gets up to speed in a couple of games will Klopp still play a midfield three which is effectively a double six plus an 8.

This phrase stands out. Klopp has form for winning league titles let's remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Yeah I don't get that neither. What pressure? They were 7 points behind and now 1 point ahead. Sounds a bit dumb to me if someone thinks behind a point ahead has more pressure than being 7 behind.

Pressure is all on Liverpool. We have went from clear favourites to win the league to a laughing stock(for non LFC fans) within 2 months.

Cop on. We are 1 point off the lead in March. Who is laughing at us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

It's our in-game management that has me worried. Quite apart from our substitutions - which have been puzzling, to say the least - we've actually gotten progressively worse in games vs United and Everton. When we should be building up a head of steam in both, we have looked rudderless, as if we've run out of ideas and the coaching staff don't quite know how to tweak it tactically so that gives us an advantage.

This is what worries me the most. Sean ****ing Dyche won't be coming to Anfield to help us boost our goal difference. All those weaker teams we're playing away from home, mired in a relegation battle will see the success a limited team like Everton had against us and it'll be up to us to find a new way to win it during a game.

The positivity is great and fair play to the ones that have been positive and after all we are only a point behind City...but with their better goal difference and the great form their in and the dodgy form we are in (5 draws from last 7 games) it does look like it will be tough.

I just think having been knocked out of the league cup and fa cup which is not putting all our eggs in one basket as we are still in the champions league but we have struggled away from home in Europe recently...basically I just think it will be really disappointing if we win nothing come the end of the season yet again.

Someone made a really good point in that we probably will have money to spend in the summer but nothing like before with the Coutinho funds whereas City board will give Pep all the money he needs to strengthen come the summer so it will be even harder next season to keep pace with City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

The positivity is great and fair play to the ones that have been positive and after all we are only a point behind City...but with their better goal difference and the great form their in and the dodgy form we are in (5 draws from last 7 games) it does look like it will be tough.

I just think having been knocked out of the league cup and fa cup which is not putting all our eggs in one basket as we are still in the champions league but we have struggled away from home in Europe recently...basically I just think it will be really disappointing if we win nothing come the end of the season yet again.

Someone made a really good point in that we probably will have money to spend in the summer but nothing like before with the Coutinho funds whereas City board will give Pep all the money he needs to strengthen come the summer so it will be even harder next season to keep pace with City.

Don't ever try to take away the possibility of saying 'our year'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

ozzy jr wrote: »
    If it wasn't for them fiddling the books, liverpool would be approaching title number 20 (at least). It really makes me sick.

No it wouldn’t. Even if they have broke FFP it’s a UEFA rule, not a Premier League rule. The harshest punishment is expulsion from European competitions from UEFA, the FA or Premier League can’t punish them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Changes should be done at half time. Get the crowd going,get on the front foot. Have a few shots. Force a few corners.
    So many loose balls yesterday. Made my blood boil. Milner and robertson and milner made an awful sequence of bad balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

We've had some tough games recently. Away to United and Everton are nearly always tough matches for Liverpool no matter what anyone thinks. Practically two derbies away from home in a week. For both those sides it was their biggest game of the season. You could tell that by how loud the home fans were during both games. Most seasons you take draws at either and don't blink an eye. The home draw with Leicester annoyed me far more as Leicester have been rubbish since Christmas.

They'll be a couple more twists and turns yet. Overall I think City have a slightly harder run in on paper. We have Chelsea and Spurs at home but all our other games I would expect us to win. City have Spurs at home and United away but they have some tricky looking away games to Palace and Burnley too. Personally I would not fancy having either of those fixtures on our remaining schedule.

Important thing is to win the next two games as City should also win their next two. It's all down to what happens in April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

gstack166 wrote: »
    No it wouldn’t. Even if they have broke FFP it’s a UEFA rule, not a Premier League rule. The harshest punishment is expulsion from European competitions from UEFA, the FA or Premier League can’t punish them.

Once again you completely miss the gist of what a poster is saying. He never said that they were breaking premier League rules he said it looks very likely that city have been diddlying their books to gain a competitive advantage. And imo if right was right city should have to face similar punishments from the FA that uefa look like they might deal out to them if city are found guilty of corruption.

P.s. any sign of that bet slip you were called out on?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement