Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Stop being afraid of not winning the league this year. People are going to sh1t all over the club, call Liverpool bottlers. So what. We're in a good place and if it takes a bit more time, so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Grayditch wrote: »
    Stop being afraid of not winning the league this year. People are going to sh1t all over the club, call Liverpool bottlers. So what. We're in a good place and if it takes a bit more time, so be it.

1st behind City was deemed good last season :eek::D:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Grayditch wrote: »

There's a huge difference between 2014 and now. In 2014 it was a big chance lost and the team went into freefall finishing 6th and out of CL group stage the next season

Now, no matter what happens if we finish 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th I fully expect us to be right up there again next season.

This isn't a moonshot, Klopp has built a seriously good side that has all it's young key players tied down to long term contracts, protection from Barcelona buying our players without a 100m premium, and we're now likely to qualify for the Champions League for the 3rd season in a row, which hasn't happened since 2008, in a league where there are 6 teams fighting for those 4 places (which you didn't have in 2008)

I'm absolutely loving where we are right now, and fully believe we can still win the league, and fully believe we will be a strong team for the next few seasons at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭beya2009

8-10 wrote: »
    There's a huge difference between 2014 and now. In 2014 it was a big chance lost and the team went into freefall finishing 6th and out of CL group stage the next season

Now, no matter what happens if we finish 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th I fully expect us to be right up there again next season.

This isn't a moonshot, Klopp has built a seriously good side that has all it's young key players tied down to long term contracts, protection from Barcelona buying our players without a 100m premium, and we're now likely to qualify for the Champions League for the 3rd season in a row, which hasn't happened since 2008, in a league where there are 6 teams fighting for those 4 places (which you didn't have in 2008)

I'm absolutely loving where we are right now, and fully believe we can still win the league, and fully believe we will be a strong team for the next few seasons at the very least.

Yes lots to look forward to long term but my fear if we do not win it this season is that it will be even harder to keep up with City next season because Pep will have unlimited funds to strengthen this summer probably the best squad in Europe already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I see Garath Bale is getting stick again, worth a punt as the the forth man forthe attack?! What's his contract situation?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I see Garath Bale is getting stick again, worth a punt as the the forth man forthe attack?! What's his contract situation?

The owner, Perez is it, he's sacked Mourinho and let Zindane walk away because of how he favours Bale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I think Bale would be difficult for FSG to sanction, too expensive & to big a risk. He's been heavily linked to Man Utd in the past, maybe Chelsea if he wants to go back to London.
    Does he still do that little heart thing with his hands when he scores, I couldn't be dealing with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Wouldn't go near him tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

30 this summer and a crock. No thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

rob316 wrote: »
    30 this summer and a crock. No thanks

Plus his wages are astronomical.

• Advertisement

We don't need Bale when we have Lallana as a credible backup lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

This is utterly bizarre: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-launch-astonishing-series-swipes-15923069

Fulham attacking Liverpool over Hodgson's spell at the club.
    “He was given a frosty reception on his subsequent appointment at Liverpool, with fans being unmoved by his success with smaller provincial clubs like Inter Milan,” read the article.

“Realising that Roy was not going to win the league immediately and angered by his failure to buy the world's best players, who would obviously jump at the chance to sign for the team that had dominated Europe a mere three decades earlier, fans quickly lost patience.

“Demonstrating the cool-headed pragmatism that has endeared them to the footballing public, the Liverpool faithful demanded Roy's replacement be an exciting young manager befitting the club's stature.”

The article continued: “Setting the time circuits to 1991, the club's executives piled into the waiting DeLorean and floored it to '88, returning with a fresh-faced and energetic Kenny Dalglish, ready to usher in a new era of dominance spearheaded by future club legend Andy Carroll, a shrewd purchase at just £35m.

“Unfortunately, however, Alex Ferguson and Wayne Rooney recovered the time machine, went back to 1991, stole the Sports Almanac and brutally laid out Jan Molby at the 'Enchantment Under the Sea' dance.

“This left the club with no option but to drag present day Kenny out of the pub and into the dugout, skewing the timeline and culminating in an underwhelming eight-place finish and Kenny's departure (again).”

Liverpool slumped to 19th place during Hodgson's regime, while his successor Dalglish led Liverpool to the FA Cup final in 2012 having won the League Cup a few months earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,925 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bale has struggled to learn Spanish he'd never have a chance learning Scouse

Iago wrote: »

In saying that, fans of both teams should be delighted with how the season went. The only two real contenders pretty much from the start of the season, playing some absolutely incredible football and both have been a joy to watch (I never want to see Liverpool win but I can be honest and appreciative of fantastic football) ..............

We haven't been a joy to watch too often this season IMO and we haven't been a joy to watch in 2019 at all.

beya2009 wrote: »
    Yes lots to look forward to long term but my fear if we do not win it this season is that it will be even harder to keep up with City next season because Pep will have unlimited funds to strengthen this summer probably the best squad in Europe already.

I reckon Utd will be stronger next season also. Look at their ppg since Jose was given his walking papers, it's not shabby at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Kompany says

“Reaching 100 points - good luck to anyone who wants to do it over again," said the City skipper.

“That stands in isolation as an incredible achievement.

“We're playing as well as we can, nothing is going to take away from that. If Liverpool end up being even better than us, then that's credit to Liverpool.

“It can't be something that we've done wrong in this case, not with the amount of points we've got at this point and the way we've played so far and with the way we've approached every game.

“I think we're doing as good as a team can do but sometimes, if you want to talk about having back-to-back seasons, I'm sure not a lot of teams had to face the sort of opposition we have now with Liverpool.

“Liverpool are having the best season I've ever known them to have since I've been following the Premier League, so it's a strong team and we just need to raise our level every time."

Kompany is right, and not a hope will they be called bottlers if they loose it by a point,but we will if we do

All the other fans in their hatred of pool are forgetting city need to be stopped,and it's only us putting it up to them,only us they fear, if we fail the rest ain't gonna catch them anytime soon either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I really don't care about those who would call either City or Liverpool "bottlers" for finishing 2nd to a team that gets 90+ points.

I can't quite hold the opinion of someone who's mental composition resembles that of a poorly battered chicken nugget in high regard.

beya2009 wrote: »

I think the main advantage is that we already have good alternatives to the players we have already in their 30's:

James Milner
    Adam Lallana

If these leave we'll only have Lovren in the first team squad in his 30's for next season (he's 29 but turns 30 in the summer so still fine), and with another body brought in, or Grujic returning, we're not a whole lot weaker given that both those players (as much as I love them) have declined this season in my view and aren't likely to improve.

Compare that to City who have more key players in their 30's:

Fernandinho
    David Silva
    Sergio Aguero
    Vincent Kompany
    Nicolas Otamendi

And Delph turning 30 later this year. It's going to be very very expensive to replace some of these players. Aguero and Otamendi have a few seasons in them but I don't think you're going to get much more out of Kompany, Fernandinho and Silva.

You aren't going to be able to get in a DM of Fernandinho's calibre or CB of Kompany's calibre, or AM of Silva's calibre easily. Either you replace with a less efficient player in the same position or you spend 100's of millions on able-replacements. And even then it's a gamble that they'll be as good.

Pep has said that priority is a DM and a LB. I think that makes sense. But I think he is going to have a tougher job strenghtening than us despite the unlimited funds just because you can't go out and buy a Fernandinho in the market no matter how much you have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Did Ox get to play last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

See collymore openkng his trap

“ city should go all in on van djik “ etc

He best sticking to his dogging the useless fcuktard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Vicxas wrote: »

No, the club decided to keep him back until Friday when the U23s play Derby. James Pearce said there was a concern about throwing him right back into a game that was likely to be quite intense.

Vicxas wrote: »

The game he is due back for is Friday's U23 game.

Augeo wrote: »
    We haven't been a joy to watch too often this season IMO and we haven't been a joy to watch in 2019 at all.

Watford game was very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Anyone think we should throw in a bid for Youri Tielemans in the summer? 40 m being bandied about this morning.
    I've seen him a few times at Leicester and he's already slotted right in there. Was the next big thing only a year or so ago - only 21 - looks a player.

Watched him for leicester a few times. I dobt rate him at all. Doesnt have the work rate for kloop imo. Dont think his final product is all that either

I think the main advantage is that we already have good alternatives to the players we have already in their 30's:

James Milner
    Adam Lallana

If these leave we'll only have Lovren in the first team squad in his 30's for next season (he's 29 but turns 30 in the summer so still fine), and with another body brought in, or Grujic returning, we're not a whole lot weaker given that both those players (as much as I love them) have declined this season in my view and aren't likely to improve.

Compare that to City who have more key players in their 30's:

Fernandinho
    David Silva
    Sergio Aguero
    Vincent Kompany
    Nicolas Otamendi

And Delph turning 30 later this year. It's going to be very very expensive to replace some of these players. Aguero and Otamendi have a few seasons in them but I don't think you're going to get much more out of Kompany, Fernandinho and Silva.

You aren't going to be able to get in a DM of Fernandinho's calibre or CB of Kompany's calibre, or AM of Silva's calibre easily. Either you replace with a less efficient player in the same position or you spend 100's of millions on able-replacements. And even then it's a gamble that they'll be as good.

Pep has said that priority is a DM and a LB. I think that makes sense. But I think he is going to have a tougher job strenghtening than us despite the unlimited funds just because you can't go out and buy a Fernandinho in the market no matter how much you have

Kompany and silva are easily replaced . its aguero and fernandinho that are the tricky ones.

Kompany and silva are easily replaced . its aguero and fernandinho that are the tricky ones.

How much do you think a centre back of Kompany's ability and experience would cost? I don't agree that it's easy.

Silva, yeah there's plenty of AM's out there on the continent but you still need to splash a good bit of cash to get one that would be at the same level as he's been over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Kompany's barely played the last three-four years. They've already replaced him with Otamendi, Stones and Laporte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Where are these David Silva clones hiding out? I'd like Liverpool to go get one if they're just hanging around the continent. There may be plenty of AM's knocking about but ones of Silva's ability are rare and he'll be tough to replace when they do have to replace him, still looks to have a few years of productivity left in him.

City could look within and trust Jesus to eventually replace Aguero...I know the kid has had a quiet season but Ageuro is simply too good. I saw a crazy stat a few weeks ago that Aguero has scored something like 42 goals in 63 games against top 6 opposition in which is just ridiculous.

As for us we are similar to City in that teams fear our offense a lot so set up defensively but the difference is that City's bench is much stronger than ours and we don't have someone as creative as KDB and David Silva that will unlock stubborn and well organized defenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Watched him for leicester a few times. I dobt rate him at all. Doesnt have the work rate for kloop imo. Dont think his final product is all that either

Lovely assist for Vardy at the weekend. Has played well in any game I've watched him, he's hit the ground running. Was excellent in his debut against Spurs away.
    At 21 he has years ahead of him for Klopp to mould him. Maybe not the playmaker we need but for 40m could be a snip (ala ox).

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Kompany's barely played the last three-four years. They've already replaced him with Otamendi, Stones and Laporte.

Who is their current 4th choice then without Kompany? Surely there's a drop off in quality and it's not like he never plays, he starts about 1/3 of their league games at least. Plus he's the club captain.

I'm not arguing that he isn't replaceable. I'm arguing that when he is replaced, it will be somebody with less experience and ability in his place. If that means they have a weaker 4th choice CB then great. I don't think they're going to be able to do better. In comparison, can we get a better 4th choice CB than Matip? Probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

This is utterly bizarre: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-launch-astonishing-series-swipes-15923069

Fulham attacking Liverpool over Hodgson's spell at the club.

**** me, I've read better English on Google Translate.

Not bad for a 21 year old who hasn't gotten anywhere near the first team and has been out on loan in Belgium and Holland for the last 3/4 seasons.

Any Schalke player good enough that we might be able get in the deal as well.

Schalke eyeing Taiwo Awoniyi permanent transfer as striker's Liverpool future remains in the balance
    Liverpool would ask for around 15 million euros (£12.9m) for a permanent deal, but are open to another loan move next season.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/schalke-eyeing-taiwo-awoniyi-permanent-15926616.amp?__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Watford game was very nice.

But you’re not supposed to include those ones imo: :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Not bad for a 21 year old who hasn't gotten anywhere near the first team and has been out on loan in Belgium and Holland for the last 3/4 seasons.

Schalke eyeing Taiwo Awoniyi permanent transfer as striker's Liverpool future remains in the balance

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/schalke-eyeing-taiwo-awoniyi-permanent-15926616.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Would take that with a pinch of salt. Schalke have just had their general manager (good mate of Klopps from Mainz) resign and have installed a lad from RB Leipzig.

McKennie would be the only player we could be interested in...he is from the US...apart from that he wouldnt be better than the young lads we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

They wouldn’t let go of him without a large transfer fee, but if we at least got first refusal on Weston McKennie as part of any deal we’d be doing very well. Saw him a couple of times and he’s a great young player. Can play pretty much anywhere from holding midfielder to just behind the striker. Has stamina to match Milner too so he ticks another box. He’s also American so FSG would have their marketable US star on the books to grow the club over in the states.

I think we’ve been vaguely linked with him during the January window (if I’m not imagining that), but he’s definitely one that I think could do well at the club and might already be on our radar.

How much do you think a centre back of Kompany's ability and experience would cost? I don't agree that it's easy.

Silva, yeah there's plenty of AM's out there on the continent but you still need to splash a good bit of cash to get one that would be at the same level as he's been over the years.

Bernardo silva has been way better than d silva this year. They still have de bruyne aswell

martyos121 wrote: »
    They wouldn’t let go of him without a large transfer fee, but if we at least got first refusal on Weston McKennie as part of any deal we’d be doing very well. Saw him a couple of times and he’s a great young player. Can play pretty much anywhere from holding midfielder to just behind the striker. Has stamina to match Milner too so he ticks another box. He’s also American so FSG would have their marketable US star on the books to grow the club over in the states.

I think we’ve been vaguely linked with him during the January window (if I’m not imagining that), but he’s definitely one that I think could do well at the club and might already be on our radar.

He was watched a few times by Edwards when they were here in Germany looking at Pulisic who is his best mate. Lovely lad but no way physical enough for the PL at this point in his career.

Speaking of all action midfielders playing in Germany Liverpool's very own Marko Grujic is up for Rookie of the Month award (February). Here is one of those creepy slightly malfunctioning HAL 9000 voiced news items

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

He was watched a few times by Edwards when they were here in Germany looking at Pulisic who is his best mate. Lovely lad but no way physical enough for the PL at this point in his career.

Thought he looked quite strong from what I saw of him, but I’ll take your word for it considering you know the league better than anyone on here. You think he could end up at Chelsea down the line then given the friendship with Pulisic? I don’t think McKennie will turn out to be a generational talent or anything close, but I’d hate to lose out on him to Chelsea if he does ever move to the PL. He’ll just end up in the buy-loan-sell for profit cycle there despite the talent he has.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Thought he looked quite strong from what I saw of him, but I’ll take your word for it considering you know the league better than anyone on here. You think he could end up at Chelsea down the line then given the friendship with Pulisic? I don’t think McKennie will turn out to be a generational talent or anything close, but I’d hate to lose out on him to Chelsea if he does ever move to the PL. He’ll just end up in the buy-loan-sell for profit cycle there despite the talent he has.

McKinnie is still very raw, doesnt like being kicked and disappears in games which are going against them. After raging reviews he has turned out to be a standard player for a standard team.

I doubt very much that he will end up at Chelsea. Liverpool were ahead of Chelsea for Pulisic if I am being told the truth by an insider in Dortmund. Chelsea then came in with a stupid offer, loaned him back to BVB and covered his wages in full....LFC walked away at that point.

Liverpool changed their attention to Hazard and McKinnie amongst others in the BL soon after.....

• Advertisement

We need to get VVD & Gini talking to a load of those young Dutch players at Ajax.

Tadic? :)

de Ligt would be a the signing having him beside VVD at club and International would be the way to go with Gomez and Lovren as back ups.

Loan a few of the quality younger players to Ajax as part exchange.

de Ligt would be a the signing having him beside VVD at club and International would be the way to go with Gomez and Lovren as back ups.

Feck that, Gomez will be top draw, if he ever gets back. Unless you have him down as a right back as well Liverpool need to spend elsewhere.

Loan a few of the quality younger players to Ajax as part exchange.

I think Klopp is banking on Gomez as VVDs long term partner. Would be the only logical reason why he is being linked with Ginter who can play center back or defensive midfield, typical squad player

Feck that, Gomez will be top draw, if he ever gets back. Unless you have him down as a right back as well Liverpool need to spend elsewhere.

No one doubts Gomez's talent.

You say it yourself if he ever makes it back.

That is why he would be the prefect 3rd choice CB because of his injury history he wouldn't be over worked but would be used over the course of a season and giving a couple of season to build up his strength and stamina, Himself and de Ligt 21 and 19 would be the perfect partnership to take over from VVD in a couple of seasons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Tadic? :)

Ripping Real apart, delightfully so. I just hope they score again and the camera pans to Ramos's face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

McKinnie is still very raw, doesnt like being kicked and disappears in games which are going against them. After raging reviews he has turned out to be a standard player for a standard team.

I doubt very much that he will end up at Chelsea. Liverpool were ahead of Chelsea for Pulisic if I am being told the truth by an insider in Dortmund. Chelsea then came in with a stupid offer, loaned him back to BVB and covered his wages in full....LFC walked away at that point.

Liverpool changed their attention to Hazard and McKinnie amongst others in the BL soon after.....

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Always was impressed with Tadic anytime I saw him at Southampton and thought it was strange they let him go. Having some game tonight. Madrid aren’t half the team they were with Ronaldo.

• Advertisement

Always was impressed with Tadic anytime I saw him at Southampton and thought it was strange they let him go. Having some game tonight. Madrid aren’t half the team they were with Ronaldo.

Or Ramos.

Ramos intentionally and self admitted got himself suspended for this game thinking they were already through to the next round.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement