Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The only bottle we're allowed talk about here is about how we are bottling the league :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The only bottle we're allowed talk about here is about how we are bottling the league :pac:

It's like when Arsenal were top of the table for 20-odd weeks in 2013/14 and ended up finishing 4th. And to this day "Liverpool bottled it".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

TitianGerm wrote: »

He scored again last weekend.

Can't help thinking we really missed out on the CL last year after Ajax demolished them last night. Like, how good are Ajax, realistically?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Augeo wrote:
    Can't help thinking we really missed out on the CL last year after Ajax demolished them last night. Like, how good are Ajax, realistically?

Real without Ramos and Ronaldo are a different team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Augeo wrote: »

Real just not as good this season as they were in May

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Do people think this way?

A team loses a game 9 months after a game against us with different players and manager which means that Liverpool screwed up?

I suppose they bottled the final and Salah is the worst of all, should have played on with his injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Has everyone forgotten Karius?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Rumour has it that the club he's with are trying to resign their former keeper from Fulham. They don't want Karius to play a certain number of games that would trigger a signing clause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Rumour has it that the club he's with are trying to resign their former keeper from Fulham. They don't want Karius to play a certain number of games that would trigger a signing clause.

He has played every league game bar one this season since he joined so he is being used.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Do people think this way?

A team loses a game 9 months after a game against us with different players and manager which means that Liverpool screwed up?

I suppose they bottled the final and Salah is the worst of all, should have played on with his injury.

I said "really missed out on the CL last year", didn't mention bottling etc etc so keep your wannabe populist spiel to yourself (I've no doubt it'll please some folk to read such twaddle) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I said "really missed out on the CL last year", didn't mention bottling etc etc so keep your wannabe populist spiel to yourself (I've no doubt it'll please some folk to read such twaddle) :)

I think he was being sarcastic..

He was indeed key to our CL final demise iirc.
    Should never have been an LFC keeper IMO.

givyjoe wrote: »
    I think he was being sarcastic..

I don't think he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

No... but we are trying!!

Same way I can still Steve McMahon waving his finger as the league title was just a few minutes away.

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    No... but we are trying!!

Same way I can still Steve McMahon waving his finger as the league title was just a few minutes away.

It's funny but I see Barnes. McMahon must have been doing it as well. Somethings you can never forget. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

McMahon put up 1 finger to say come on lads one minute left, I can still see it too, when Thomas scored I ran up to my bedroom bawling my eyes out, father came up to my room after to see if I was all right and I told him fcuk off and leave me alone, it was the first time I ever said anything like that to him, I was 10yrs old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

shamrock55 wrote: »
    McMahon put up 1 finger to say come on lads one minute left, I can still see it too, when Thomas scored I ran up to my bedroom bawling my eyes out, father came up to my room after to see if I was all right and I told him fcuk off and leave me alone, it was the first time I ever said anything like that to him, I was 10yrs old

God, i was a little older when that goal went in but i went on a rampage in the living room and got thrown out into the back garden to cool down.
    Mate called over about half an hour after the match ended but i couldn't talk to him. I was livid. Why didn't Liverpool just go out and win that game.
    Shocking stuff holding on at home with the team we had.
    I did blame the king for being so conservative on the night but these things happen.
    Still hurts now:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    God, i was a little older when that goal went in but i went on a rampage in the living room and got thrown out into the back garden to cool down.
    Mate called over about half an hour after the match ended but i couldn't talk to him. I was livid. Why didn't Liverpool just go out and win that game.
    Shocking stuff holding on at home with the team we had.
    I did blame the king for being so conservative on the night but these things happen.
    Still hurts now:mad:

I remember watching this game at home with my Da (Man U) fan. I went up to my room to watch the 2nd half as i couldn't listen to him anymore. I watched the rest of game on a black n white portable. When Thomas broke through i turned off the tv, but then heard my Da cheering. I knew what had happened, I was inconsolable. All these years later i can still hear my Da cheering, it still hurts!!

• Advertisement

Pictures from training today.

Ox right in the mix of things.

thumb_82708_default_news_size_5.jpeg
    thumb_82719_default_news_size_5.jpeg

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/340586-liverpool-training-photos-melwood-burnley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Getting Ox back could be massive. Could be! Fingers crossed he's made a good recovery and gets back into the swing of things in short order.

Though, if nothing else, he's a great player to have back for next year.

BILD are reporting that Munich want to keep Lewandowski and sign him to a new contract and keep him as the number one striker and this might throw a spanner in the works around Werner who will want to be first choice not a back up.

Miguel Delaney Reporting that Klopp is now Madrid’s number one target. Lol

Edit; it’s being reported in lots of places now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

It's hardly surprising he would he a coup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

If Barnes had of kept the ball in the corner we would have won the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I couldn't imagine Klopp going to Madrid.

But I would be curious to see how he'd get on if he did. He always had an underdog team and overachieved a lot. Would be interesting to see how he'd do with Madrid's expectations.

It's a toxic club for the most part couldn't see him going near it anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I was in my room against Milan.

Came down for the penalty when Alonso got the re bound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I couldn't imagine Klopp going to Madrid.

But I would be curious to see how he'd get on if he did. He always had an underdog team and overachieved a lot. Would be interesting to see how he'd do with Madrid's expectations.

It's a toxic club for the most part couldn't see him going near it anyway

This and - a separate thought that I had - if he did go (to Madrid or elsewhere), who would people want in to replace him? It's something I've given absolutely no thought to since Rodgers was our boss as I've always been very happy to keep Klopp for as long as he wants.

This and - a separate thought that I had - if he did go (to Madrid or elsewhere), who would people want in to replace him? It's something I've given absolutely no thought to since Rodgers was our boss as I've always been very happy to keep Klopp for as long as he wants.

As good a time as any to give Rafa another chance. Give him a one year contract that extends to three on the basis of performance targets.

And before anyone says ‘god no’, just realise that there are no easy solutions in this scenario.

• Advertisement

On a separate point, the reality of football is that if Klopp accepted the Real job in principle to move at the end of the season as much as it would suck you’d have to understand it and bid him the best of luck. Maybe he wouldn’t want it, but they’re the biggest club in the world and offer the best resources to work with. The pressure and expectation is ridiculous, but that’s what makes it Real Madrid.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    As good a time as any to give Rafa another chance. Give him a one year contract that extends to three on the basis of performance targets.

And before anyone says ‘god no’, just realise that there are no easy solutions in this scenario.

He made a big enough balls of it with a better squad. No chance he's getting that job again. Pochettino far more likely.

I think the days of managers staying ten years + at a club are gone but it's still far too soon to lose Klopp, still very much a feel good factor around him.
    Replacing him is just rolling the dice and hoping for the best. Anyone but Mourinho for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

There's absolutely no chance Klopp would entertain Real Madrid, completely the wrong fit for him. Not to mention he's on record saying he'd never work for a team if he couldn't speak the language.

Non story but hilarious that rival fans seem to think we should be worried about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

He made a big enough balls of it with a better squad. No chance he's getting that job again. Pochettino far more likely.

I think he meant Rafa to LFC if Klopp left, not Rafa to Real Madrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

People change their mind, it's easy to say not interested when you havn't been asked. He may be hesitant because that Madrid squad needs gutting and he'd be under pressure to produce instantly with the an aging team. He'll likely get offered it again in the future when the squad is in better shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Balls of what?

eyerer wrote: »
    I think he meant Rafa to LFC if Klopp left, not Rafa to Real Madrid

Ah, still no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

I’d have Rafa back in a heartbeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I can see klopp here for 10 years,or very close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

superg wrote: »
    There's absolutely no chance Klopp would entertain Real Madrid, completely the wrong fit for him. Not to mention he's on record saying he'd never work for a team if he couldn't speak the language.

Non story but hilarious that rival fans seem to think we should be worried about it

I agree. I wouldn't say there's no chance of Klopp going to Madrid because there is always a chance. But there's next to no chance.

Big rebuilding job there. He doesn't speak the language. The next manager will get a huge amount of money to spend but that will bring huge expectations and if things don't start well the fans and the board will be on the manager's back straight away no matter who's in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭mosstin

brevity wrote: »

No thanks. Gent, totally got the club, did a great job but that was then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

mosstin wrote: »
    No thanks. Gent, totally got the club, did a great job but that was then.

He'd still very much be on my shortlist anyway.

I never like the 'never go back' side of things - look at the current situation on its merits and judge it based on that.

He's a very good manager, and should be a legitimate contender based on both his past, and present. Things went sour last time due to circumstances at the club, all of which have changed - literally every aspect of LFC is different to how it was then - so at least deserves consideration.

Would still have Pochettino ahead of him, if he was available, if it came to it though.

But anyway, probably not an issue thankfully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If Klopp did go, and I really can't see it, would definitely not turn my nose up at Rafa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just say no to Rafa. Does he still make his first sub on 57 mins?

• Advertisement

I agree. I wouldn't say there's no chance of Klopp going to Madrid because there is always a chance. But there's next to no chance.

Big rebuilding job there. He doesn't speak the language. The next manager will get a huge amount of money to spend but that will bring huge expectations and if things don't start well the fans and the board will be on the manager's back straight away no matter who's in charge.

Even if we sacked him in the summer he wouldn't go. Its a basket case of a club and he's not stupid. So no chance.

I see Chris Bascombe has an article out now saying it too, not interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Christ almighty

One of the great things about Klopp was he united the fan base in a way we've not seen since the early seasons of Rafa. We can already see here that Rafa wouldn't promote that sort of reaction a second time round! I wouldn't be on team Rafa either, he had his time, it was great for a while but it ran its course.

The worry for me is not Real Madrid or any other club, its if Jurgen doesn't land silverware soon the naysayers will get more and more vocal and those rifts will soon reappear, the atmosphere gets toxic and then we all lose. People are their own worst enemies really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

I’ve always been puzzled by people’s attitudes to Rafa.

He loved the club more than anything and was very successful here, under very difficult circumstances too.

Liverpool were an absolute force under him and are only now hitting those same standards. And the club has much better owners and stability overall.

The media didn’t really like him though and I think that rubbed off on the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭ballyargus

I’ve always been puzzled by people’s attitudes to Rafa.

He loved the club more than anything and was very successful here, under very difficult circumstances too.

Liverpool were an absolute force under him and are only now hitting those same standards. And the club has much better owners and stability overall.

The media didn’t really like him though and I think that rubbed off on the fans.

100%

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement