Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Its hard to judge his final few years with everything that went on and I think some fans are harsh on him while others give him a free pass due to the ownership madness, the truth is in the middle somewhere. I don't have the love for him now a lot seem to have though he gave me the best night of my adult life I went off him and his football towards the end. I certainly didn't want him sacked though cos I knew whatever was coming in had no chance of being on his level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

brevity wrote: »
    I’ve always been puzzled by people’s attitudes to Rafa.

He loved the club more than anything and was very successful here, under very difficult circumstances too.

Liverpool were an absolute force under him and are only now hitting those same standards. And the club has much better owners and stability overall.

The media didn’t really like him though and I think that rubbed off on the fans.

I don't have an attitude towards Rafa. I love the man and all he did for the club, on and off the pitch while he was here. I just don't want us playing percentage football like that. I went over many, many times during Rafa's reign and watched sterile football that was enough to get us the win and not much more besides. Thanks for the memories - and the trophies Rafa - but, for me, the football's got to be entertaining on a consistent basis also. If you're suggesting it was, you're peering through rose-tinted spectacles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nuno would be my choice if Klopp left. He is a big character and I like his adventure, which has served Wolverhampton Wanderers well if leading to the odd strange result. Bit like Klopp then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

mosstin wrote: »
    I don't have an attitude towards Rafa. I love the man and all he did for the club, on and off the pitch while he was here. I just don't want us playing percentage football like that. I went over many, many times during Rafa's reign and watched sterile football that was enough to get us the win and not much more besides. Thanks for the memories - and the trophies Rafa - but, for me, the football's got to be entertaining on a consistent basis also. If you're suggesting it was, you're peering through rose-tinted spectacles.

We're not playing any better football this season than 08-09.

Gbear wrote: »

It was 4 months in 09, the previous part of that season was typical Rafa. Some of the 05/06 season was pretty good but Klopp has overseen much more fun football in his time even allowing for this season's more conservative approach.

Gbear wrote: »

I've been over to us vs Cardiff, Arsenal and Bournemouth. Thoroughly entertained each time. We drew 11 matches in 2008/09 which is what cost us the league. You're allowing a few recent draws to cloud your judgement on this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It’s not even close tbh.

....Thanks for the memories - and the trophies Rafa - but, for me, the football's got to be entertaining on a consistent basis also. If you're suggesting it was, you're peering through rose-tinted spectacles.

2019 kloppball is as bad (at least) as anything Rafa came up with. Late 2018 kloppball no better but the results were significantly better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I know its United, but I can't not be happy with that. PSG can absolutely go **** themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Rafa would probably try to sell Salah to bring in Gareth Barry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Knex. wrote: »
    I know its United, but I can't not be happy with that. PSG can absolutely go **** themselves.

Yeah I was actually grand with that. Good drama. And credit where credit's due they have a player in that Rashford kid, cool penalty.

I just hope we stay in the competition, I think there's still a good few teams left in it that we could take over 2 legs if we can squeeze past Bayern

Augeo wrote: »
    2019 kloppball is as bad (at least) as anything Rafa came up with. Late 2018 kloppball no better but the results were significantly better.

Lost 2-1 vs richest team in the land in a cracker
    Beat Brighton 1-0
    Beat Palace 4-3 in another cracker
    Drew 1-1 with Leicester (****e)
    Drew 1-1 with West Ham (****e)
    Hammered Bournemouth 3-0
    Drew with United 0-0 (****e)
    Hammered Watford 5-0
    Drew 0-0 with Everton (****e)

That's hardly bad. Struggled away in two matches that always give us trouble but got a point anyway. Hammers and Leicester, yup, awful.

Rafa's success was built on pragmatism, Klopp's isn't (for the most part). We've struggled with the weight of expectation of leading the field, sure, and we've addressed defensive issues but Liverpool 2019 are a far different beast to Rafa 2008/09.

But, again, love them both. Just don't want/nor will we need Rafa back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Having an absolute laugh.

Honestly, trying to get rid of Alonso and bring in Barry is reason alone not to bring him back. Criminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I've been over to us vs Cardiff, Arsenal and Bournemouth. Thoroughly entertained each time. We drew 11 matches in 2008/09 which is what cost us the league. You're allowing a few recent draws to cloud your judgement on this season.

It's not realllllyy a criticism. Just more a question of double standards.

Last year was in many ways a lot more craic, but we won **** all.

We've 7 draws this year, btw.

This is a far better squad than what Rafa had, and particularly, there's far more width and depth, and that accounts for having some more points, but I don't think stylistically it's any more entertaining.

We pretty much ground out the first half of the season. That's why we are where we are. I'm not knocking it.
    I said at the start of the season that if we were to fail to win the league, it was because we failed to land someone like Fekir, and that our attack didn't have the spread of goalscorers to compete with City, and score in enough games. It was feast or famine, and that's what we're seeing again.

Rafa had a similar sort of problem, in that Kuyt chipped in, but almost all the heavy lifting was just two players, and we had very little pace out wide to help break teams down.

I think we're a playing at a bit of higher level now, and the standards are just generally higher, but I think people accusing me of myopia over a few recent results are far more guilty of it if they think we just plodded to a 1-0 every week with Rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Seeing those diving play acting fcuks crying has made me happy despite it being utd to beat them, riddiculas var decision too, they can't complain about a decision against them for quite a while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Knex. wrote: »

Having watched their 180 minute Swan Lake impression during the two games with Liverpool, am delighted they’ve been sucker-punched and are out…. even if it is Utd that have done it! The likes of PSG and Madrid are the kind of teams you just want out of the competition due to their horrible antics.... their ilk absolutely epitomise everything that's wrong with modern football - all money and zero class. Well done, Utd, in fairness.

givyjoe wrote: »
    Honestly, trying to get rid of Alonso and bring in Barry is reason alone not to bring him back. Criminal.

To be fair to him though, from his point of view he could get enough money for Xabi that would get him Barry and have enough left to buy elsewhere too, such was his lot at the time he had to work like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

mocking-spongebob.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Seeing those diving play acting fcuks crying has made me happy despite it being utd to beat them, riddiculas var decision too, they can't complain about a decision against them for quite a while now.

To think that var was the end of wrong/controversial decisions and the journalists were worried there would be less talking points

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Dropped in, read this, I'm out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

To think that var was the end of wrong/controversial decisions and the journalists were worried there would be less talking points

Personally I hate the pens for handball when the ball is belted from feet away going at 30mph and literally 1 second after it's kicked it hits a hand and a pens given..

And in this case it hit the back.of his elbow,arm out of the way. Something like this could win a final,a world cup final, it's wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Only thing that would worry me about tonight is that PSG went out because of their sh1te defence. They've neglected it for years and with Virgil playing out of his skin for us, he could become their next stupid-money target.

superg wrote: »
    To be fair to him though, from his point of view he could get enough money for Xabi that would get him Barry and have enough left to buy elsewhere too, such was his lot at the time he had to work like that.

That is not what he had in mind, he wanted Barry instead of Alonso.

Lost 2-1 vs richest team in the land in a cracker
    Beat Brighton 1-0
    Beat Palace 4-3 in another cracker
    Drew 1-1 with Leicester (****e)
    Drew 1-1 with West Ham (****e)
    Hammered Bournemouth 3-0
    Drew with United 0-0 (****e)
    Hammered Watford 5-0
    Drew 0-0 with Everton (****e)

That's hardly bad. Struggled away in two matches that always give us trouble but got a point anyway. Hammers and Leicester, yup, awful.

Rafa's success was built on pragmatism, Klopp's isn't (for the most part). We've struggled with the weight of expectation of leading the field, sure, and we've addressed defensive issues but Liverpool 2019 are a far different beast to Rafa 2008/09.

But, again, love them both. Just don't want/nor will we need Rafa back.

In entertainment terms we're currently as bad as the Rafa days IMO......

Manies the Rafa performance had Torres & Gerrard really entertaining us in enthralling contests against the elite if Europe and we were the elite of Europe at times.

To think 2019 kloppball is consistently entertaining is really rosetinted, as you pointed out we've been sh1te almost half the games :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Think it's a myth Rafa didn't play attacking football tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

If var is gonna give decisions like that pen tonight then they can keep it, disgracefull carry on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Only thing that would worry me about tonight is that PSG went out because of their sh1te defence. They've neglected it for years and with Virgil playing out of his skin for us, he could become their next stupid-money target.

He has a better chance winning the Champions League with Liverpool and they'll likely be fighting Madrid off their stars this summer.

noodler wrote: »
    Think it's a myth Rafa didn't play attacking football tbh.

It's nowhere as bad as folk like to make out. I'd take must if it over the sh1t we are getting of late .

Rafa new when to go for it and when we needed to be restrained. He got the best out of Gerrard too.

I don't particularly see him coming back to anfield though but the comments about his football not being consistently entertaining is incorrect imo.

shamrock55 wrote: »
    If var is gonna give decisions like that pen tonight then they can keep it, disgracefull carry on

Soft as hell but they are apparently clamping down.

Anything to get that despicable shower out tbh.

The away game there is my worst memory of the season. Embarrassing behaviour from them claiming and diving everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Delighted to see PSG crash out, even if it was Utd that done them. Just a shame I didn't see any tears from Neymar.

It's shaping up to be a very open CL with Ajax, Spurs, Utd and Porto as quarter final teams. Two big fixtures next week in us/Bayern and Atletico/Juve means 2 more big teams will get knocked out.

Favourable draws could see Spurs or Utd get a run to the semis. Would love to see Barca v City in the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Spurs and United through, pressure is on us now. Man City must be through too, could be 4 English teams in 1/4 Finals. That can't have happened before Shirley.
    We've an uphill task though, I just can't see us winning at Bayern.

With the Champions League really opening up, going out now would be hard to take. We better turn up against Bayern.

Spurs and United through, pressure is on us now. Man City must be through too, could be 4 English teams in 1/4 Finals. That can't have happened before Shirley.

It has, when we knocked out Arsenal in 2008, they had three of the four semi finalists and an all English final that year.

That is not what he had in mind, he wanted Barry instead of Alonso.

Erm yes. Get Barry instead of Alonso because the sale of Xabi would give him enough money to buy Barry and put the rest to other areas of the team, rather than keep Xabi and go without.

Xabi had also put in a pretty bang average season by then too, it was the season after he tried to sell him that he hit top gear. Its still madness like but you can at least see why he felt he needed to do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Score draw will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Just been reading the last few pages a bump in the road only a point behind and people are decrying Klopp is there a full moon or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Xabi had also put in a pretty bang average season by then too, it was the season after he tried to sell him that he hit top gear. Its still madness like but you can at least see why he felt he needed to do it

Yep. People always forget just how much Alonso regressed that season and he looked like he was really struggling with the pace of the Premier League.

Still wouldn't have Rafa back though as much as I like him.

It's Barca's or Bayern year now. A very weak looking 1/4 final

Spurs
    Ajax
    United
    Porto
    Atletico??
    City?
    Barca?
    Bayern or Liverpool

Could be a all English final if Liverpool get through, I'd prefer an all English two legged semi though against United.

If we can't win the CL I'd like to see Atletico win it. Its a great chance for a less fancied team to win it this season the way things are shaping up.

• Advertisement

Just been reading the last few pages a bump in the road only a point behind and people are decrying Klopp is there a full moon or something.

In klopp we trust.

With the way games are going City may be more worried then us. Ajax beat Real away and United beat PSG. Both Away We can do it against Bayern

In klopp we trust.

We can question his decisions at time but overall YA

NukaCola wrote: »
    Score draw will be fine.

Oh yea, a score draw or win. That makes it more viable, dunno where my head it.

It's Barca's or Bayern year now. A very weak looking 1/4 final

Spurs
    Ajax
    United
    Porto
    Atletico??
    City?
    Barca?
    Bayern or Liverpool

Could be a all English final if Liverpool get through, I'd prefer an all English two legged semi though against United.

I've had this said to me tonight too and can't fathom it. Games against them are a nightmare in general and the way things are going for them right now it would be even worse. I can't think of anything worse than drawing them. Don't want any English club to be fair, sick of us always drawing another English team when there's a few still in it.

Lets just get though first, United can have City or Spurs.

If we can't win the CL I'd like to see Atletico win it. Its a great chance for a less fancied team to win it this season the way things are shaping up.

That would be a lot of CL Cups going to Madrid . Crazy if it happens, they deserve one though.

The U18s beat Bury 5-1 to meet Watford in the FA Youth Cup Semi final at home.

That would be a lot of CL Cups going to Madrid . Crazy if it happens, they deserve one though.

I booked a weekend away with the missus in Madrid for the weekend of the final before I knew it was the weekend of the final. Hope I'm not surrounded by United fans:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Looks bad in hindsight, but within the context of the time it was totally reasonable.

Alonso was coming off the back of a formless, injury plagued season. Was anonymous most of that year.

Barry, meanwhile, was playing consistently brilliant stuff - and we should also remember that he then became a mainstay in centre midfield for Man City's first premier league winning team, so, y'know, hardly a bad shout for a player.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Looks bad in hindsight, but within the context of the time it was totally reasonable.

Alonso was coming off the back of a formless, injury plagued season. Was anonymous most of that year.

Barry, meanwhile, was playing consistently brilliant stuff - and we should also remember that he then became a mainstay in centre midfield for Man City's first premier league winning team, so, y'know, hardly a bad shout for a player.

Yeah, where has this idea come from that Barry wasn't a class player?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement