Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I was hoping utd got knocked out because they might push harder against city then to qualify for nxt season, I hope they don't think they can win it and take their eye off the league, although the city game is in-between the qtr and semi final so they might be out by then anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Amount of utd **** online tonight wiw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,924 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Coman out of the return leg in Munich according to reports in Germany tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I’m a firm believer that the champions league are some way fixed slightly.
    Spurs will 100% be playing an English club in the next round.
    I think if we get through we will get athletico
    Barca and city will get Porto and ajax

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

superg wrote: »
    Erm yes. Get Barry instead of Alonso because the sale of Xabi would give him enough money to buy Barry and put the rest to other areas of the team, rather than keep Xabi and go without.

Xabi had also put in a pretty bang average season by then too, it was the season after he tried to sell him that he hit top gear. Its still madness like but you can at least see why he felt he needed to do it
    bang average season..?! Barry was NEVER fit to lace xabi's boots.

Alonso out and Barry in is one of, if not the biggest managerial brain fart of Rafa's career. He wasn't selling Alonso to strengthen the squad, he was selling him to buy Barry specifically.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Yeah, where has this idea come from that Barry wasn't a class player?

Eh, having watched the lad play. Work horse yes, class? Never in a million years. And again, not fit to lace xabi's boots. Look at the trophies xabi won and the club's he played for, right up until retirement. Laughable stuff trying to rationalize that sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Amount of utd **** online tonight wiw

you must feel lucky the trophyless escaped with a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

givyjoe wrote: »
    bang average season..?! Barry was NEVER fit to lace xabi's boots.

Alonso out and Barry in is one of, if not the biggest managerial brain fart of Rafa's career. He wasn't selling Alonso to strengthen the squad, he was selling him to buy Barry specifically.

Yeah, i mean, it's easy to forget in light of his great 08/09 season, but his 07/08 was probably the very worst of his career.

He only started 16 league games that year, and never really picked up the form he had shown before. Constant injuries, both long and short term, stopped him from ever getting going. Liverpool finished 8th in the league that year.

There was a lot of discussion over what should be done with him, and plenty of mentions that it might be worth him returning to Spain to reignite his career. And let's not forget what ended Juventus interest in him - they pulled out of the deal, and decided to go for Christian Poulsen instead. That's the comparative market he was in at the time. If he was the shining light some maintain, he'd have obviously been snapped up. He was also firmly behind Senna and Fabregas in Spains pecking order - both great players no doubt, but he moved ahead of them swiftly a year later.

From the beginning of 08/09 he blew everyone away of course, but that doesn't erase the realities of 07/08. Saying "Look at the trophies xabi won and the club's he played for" is sort of neither here nor there. We can obviously all agree that after that point, Xabi was a far better player than Barry. But unfortunately that's not, like, relevant to what happened before he did those things.

Barry is also a much better player than you remember, and was incredibly consistent - both in terms of performance, and fitness. Played the 4th most minutes the year City won the league, behind only the keeper, Aguero, and Silva.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Barry is also a much better player than you remember, and was incredibly consistent - both in terms of performance, and fitness. Played the 4th most minutes the year City won the league, behind only the keeper, Aguero, and Silva.

No 'was' about it, he's still very reliable having played the majority of the games in the Championship this season for a team pushing for promotion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Bowlardo wrote: »

Fortune favours the privileged.

Absolutely sick at the form they have found themselves at absolutely the perfect time of the season. We found the same luck last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Only thing that would worry me about tonight is that PSG went out because of their sh1te defence. They've neglected it for years and with Virgil playing out of his skin for us, he could become their next stupid-money target.

Not really. A brain fart of a back pass, a massive mistake by Buffon and a penalty given by VAR for a shot that was going to row 7.

When United scored their second the possession was 80-20 to PSG. United got some lucky breaks tonight for their goals but fair play to Lukaku for being there to react.
    Penalty was a bit embarrassing but we'd all take the same next week if it got us through and fair play to Rashford to keep calm in taken the penalty, huge pressure.

superg wrote: »
    To be fair to him though, from his point of view he could get enough money for Xabi that would get him Barry and have enough left to buy elsewhere too, such was his lot at the time he had to work like that.

Rafa has said that the intention was to have Keane and Barry as he saw Barry filling the left midfield which we struggled with supplying Keane.

Sale of Alonso was going to help finance this. The club bought Keane, didn't sell Alonso and couldn't afford to buy Barry.

When Hicks and Gillett came in in 2007 we were told we would be competing in the market but we were still wheeling and dealing up until they left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Let's hope Yogi Low's decision to shelve Hummels, Boateng, and Muller from the international team doesn't loads of fire in their belly for next Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Certainly going to be an interesting Champions League this year. Delighted to see PSG go out, hopefully see the other Arab Petro Club Man City go out next week however doubtful. Then again a tough, sapping run to the final where they are beaten by Ajax or ourselves if we get through would be sweeter!

Some pretty damning stuff about the Arab led shenanigans- HERE

Can't understand why anybody outside of their own 'fanbase' would want them to do well. Goes to show how much we're hated I suppose:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I hate everything about PSG . I hate them more than United currently.
    Neymar diving bell end
    Sraxler is a ****
    Their manager is a Little obnoxious prick.
    Their defenders are moany diving little bitches.
    The club is held together by dirty oil money

I love versatility and mbappe and hope they get out of their soon

Delighted they are gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Augeo wrote: »
    2019 kloppball is as bad (at least) as anything Rafa came up with. Late 2018 kloppball no better but the results were significantly better.

You’re beating a lonely furrow on this point. But I see what you’re saying and you’re spot on. It’s changed already, the media and fanbase haven’t caught up yet.

As you know, I never had a problem with Rafa’s style in this regard so I’m okay with it.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You’re beating a lonely furrow on this point. But I see what you’re saying and you’re spot on. It’s changed already, the media and fanbase haven’t caught up yet.

As you know, I never had a problem with Rafa’s style in this regard so I’m okay with it.

I've no problem with it either to be honest.

I just find it somewhat amusing folk still seem to think we are playing the same brand of really entertaining stuff like 12 months ago .......... it's like, do they even watch the games :pac:

As you say, neither the media or the fanbase seem to have noticed to the extent it's remarked on. It's not just 2019 either, we're fairly sterile to watch all of this season.

Sometimes this season we've been more Jose's 2018 Utd (while defending better) than Rafa's Liverpool though.

I've no problem with it either to be honest.

I just find it somewhat amusing folk still seem to think we are playing the same brand of really entertaining stuff like 12 months ago .......... it's like, do they even watch the games :pac:

As you say, neither the media or the fanbase seem to have noticed to the extent it's remarked on. It's not just 2019 either, we're fairly sterile to watch all of this season.

Sometimes this season we've been more Jose's 2018 Utd (while defending better) than Rafa's Liverpool though.

Last year's approach might win you a CL (as it would have done were it not for our goalkeeper) but it's not sustainable over a league season. We needed to become more solid, more controlled and focus more on ways to unlock teams sitting in or edge them and ways to prevent being two down against good opponents before a ball was kicked.

My only criticism of Klopp here is that for the CL ties and for certain key games, it would be nice to unleash the fury from last year. But that's simplistic from my perspective. It might not be that easy. It's a mindset, it's a full on tactical approach and it probably requires certain elements of strength and conditioning prep that we are ignorant of.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

My only criticism of Klopp here is that for the CL ties and for certain key games, it would be nice to unleash the fury from last year. But that's simplistic from my perspective. It might not be that easy. It's a mindset, it's a full on tactical approach and it probably requires certain elements of strength and conditioning prep that we are ignorant of.

I'm really hopeful that Klopp is aiming for that, maybe not this season but in due course.
    If he got us there we'd be the ultimate club team IMO.
    I thought with Virgil and aAlsion we could throw caution to the wind more often and trust them to bail us out 8 times out of 10, given we got away with murder more often then not with Karius in goal and no Virgil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Best thing form a Liverpool point of view would be be for the 2 Manchester clubs to be drawn against each other in the Qauters/Semis.

That would mean 3 Derbys in the space of a few weeks, that's going to potential weaken City in the league IMHP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

We have 64 goals in 29 games.

12 behind probably the best attacking team in PL history lol.

Wouldn't be going overboard with a few 0-0s. We play 3 up front every game as well.

Best thing form a Liverpool point of view would be be for the 2 Manchester clubs to be drawn against each other in the Qauters/Semis.

That would mean 3 Derbys in the space of a few weeks, that's going to potential weaken City in the league IMHP

Knowing Citys luck in cup draws they will get Porto or Ajax next round.

If we get through next week I'd be pretty sure we draw Manchester in the last 8.

Liverpool looking to loan Wilson to a Premier League club next season however they will not loan him to Leicester City and Brendan Rodgers who were interested in him before Rodgers arrived as manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

If we get through next week I'd be pretty sure we draw Manchester in the last 8.

For certain but which Manchester?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Spurs will 100% be playing an English club in the next round.
    I think if we get through we will get athletico
    Barca and city will get Porto and ajax
    Lol

I was surprised when BT showed the studio panel's reaction to the penalty last all the panelists jumped for joy except for Owen who sat there with his arms folded and showed no reaction at all.

The Liverpool him.

I don't know who this Enda lad although he must be someone since he has a blue tick.
    Michael Owen is just a sour prick. Not a peep out of him when Rashford scores. Liverpool fans hate him and so should United fans.

https://twitter.com/EndaConway/status/1103422002583478272

I was surprised when BT showed the studio panel's reaction to the penalty last all the panelists jumped for joy except for Owen who sat there with his arms folded and showed no reaction at all.

The Liverpool him.

I don't know who this Enda lad although he must be someone since he has a blue tick.

https://twitter.com/EndaConway/status/1103422002583478272

Michael Owen is an international ambassador for Liverpool. In 2017 Europa League final he referred to United as "we" and a petition was raised to have him stripped of his role.

It didn't happen and he still has his role so his actions last night is a lessons learned from 2 years ago!

MD1990 wrote: »
    We play 3 up front every game as well.

No wonder the media and fanbase haven’t caught up yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

MD1990 wrote: »
    We have 64 goals in 29 games.

12 behind probably the best attacking team in PL history lol.

Wouldn't be going overboard with a few 0-0s. We play 3 up front every game as well.

We're on course to score 6 more than in 08/09. There's as big a disparity in defence as attack.

This is a better squad, but that doesn't mean we're playing wacky cavalier football. Rodgers ball it ain't, which is still the best football we've played in my entire life as a Liverpool fan, albeit that again, we won **** all playing it.

Gbear wrote: »
    We're on course to score 6 more than in 08/09. There's as big a disparity in defence as attack.

This is a better squad, but that doesn't mean we're playing wacky cavalier football. Rodgers ball it ain't, which is still the best football we've played in my entire life as a Liverpool fan, albeit that again, we won **** all playing it.

This season we are not but we have a good balance.

Think under Klopp last season was even better than Rodgers 13/14.

CL goalscoring was incredible .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

MD1990 wrote:
    CL goalscoring was incredible .

Yeah, I think that CL campaign has coloured the whole of last season in a better light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

We play in a similar way to Chelsea under Mourinho I think, those teams scored lots of goals also but were based on a strong defence and dominating the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Klopper sorted them over 2 legs in Europe already during his tenure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Liverpool have to win the next 4 league games, and score about 12 goals if they want to win the league.

Anything less than 12 points and it is all over IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

FitzShane wrote: »
    Liverpool have to win the next 4 league games, and score about 12 goals if they want to win the league.

That's grand and all, but it is still guesswork. I could state that we need 6 points from the next 4 games to still be in the title race and I may be right. I probably wouldn't be, but I might be.

Worry about Burnley first, then Bayern, then Fulham, etc.

Klopper sorted them over 2 legs in Europe already during his tenure.

LVG's United and OGS's United are two very different propositions. i.e. they're not **** now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

5starpool wrote: »
    That's grand and all, but it is still guesswork. I could state that we need 6 points from the next 4 games to still be in the title race and I may be right. I probably wouldn't be, but I might be.

Worry about Burnley first, then Bayern, then Fulham, etc.

if we win those 4 games, we go 5 points ahead of City, who will then have 2 games in hand - Spurs & United (as part of a week of a CL 1/4, Spurs, United away (who will need to get points for top 4 also))

City could well drop an unexpected 2 pts or 3 in their "easy" fixtures :)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

City could well drop an unexpected 2 pts or 3 in their "easy" fixtures :)

Nah, they'd never lost to the likes of Newcastle or Leicester away or Palace at home.

• Advertisement

Robben out and Coman might be back.

Microsoft translate is worse than Google translate.
    Staff update from Niko #Kovac: "@ArjenRobben The day before yesterday, the day before yesterday, the calf was injured and is unfortunately falling out.
    Kingsley #Coman is on the rising branch and we hope it #FCBLFC's enough-at Arjen, a stake is ruled out. "

https://twitter.com/FCBayern/status/1103636798125821952

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

a falling out calf sounds very serious :pac:

Wow just saw we're at 9943.

What has been the record number of threads in a season?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

if we win those 4 games, we go 5 points ahead of City, who will then have 2 games in hand - Spurs & United (as part of a week of a CL 1/4, Spurs, United away (who will need to get points for top 4 also))

2 games in hand will be Man Utd and Cardiff

Well now you've just gone and ruined the optimism with your realism! :rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Wow just saw we're at 9943.

What has been the record number of threads in a season?!

The year we came 2nd under Rodgers was mental on here. That whole time as a Liverpool fan really was just one ridiculous wave.

Ahh, Suarez.

suarez-dive.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Knex. wrote: »
    The year we came 2nd under Rodgers was mental on here. That whole time as a Liverpool fan really was just one ridiculous wave.

Ahh, Suarez.

suarez-dive.gif

Id like to read the match thread vs utd that year ahah. #Suarezistheman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

After last nights performance you'd be crazy to put City as favourites for 3pts against Utd and Cardiff will still be in a relegation fight, so miracles could happen....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

That was some roller-coaster that year

Klopp confirms that Oxlade-Chamberlain will play for #LFC U23s v Derby County in Premier 2 tomorrow. Will be his comeback game after 11 months out with a serious knee injury. Massive boost for the Reds.
    No chance of Oxlade-Chamberlain being involved against either Bayern or Fulham next week. Will be after the international break before he makes 1st team return #LFC

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/1103703318835220480

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement