Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

Talisman wrote: »
    He has been touted as an alternative option for a certain managerial position.

I think he'd be a decent shout for Utd.

Lads Ryan Babel is back in the Premier League, loan to Fulham. Somehow he only turned 32 last month.

The babelcopter is back!

BTKxC7-CIAAQepd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I think it says something about our status that somehow this game is first on MOTD :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

No chance of wolves getting anything at the emptyhad I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

shamrock55 wrote: »
    No chance of wolves getting anything at the emptyhad I suppose
    Wolves are 10th, 3pts off 7th.
    Fully expect City to win, but Wolves are one of the better teams to get promoted from the Championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Nah, City have been rejuvenated after beating us, so they'll be on a strong run now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I think it says something about our status that somehow this game is first on MOTD :p

They do it to wind up Citizens and that's easily done! That game would have been after Cardiff v Town if it were down to me.

Just looking at recent-ish seasons - Liverpool have surpassed the tally for 11/12 and will streak past 12/13 and 14/15 15/16 with another two wins. In January.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

I had to miss the second half today so just saw the penalty incident on motd. I've seen people say it was a soft penalty...wtf? So pulling someone's arm and kicking them is now "soft"? I'm starting to get the feeling if someone stabbed Salah, the mouth breathers would be saying "he's gone down easy there, it's not like he was shot." A foul is a foul FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

57 points after 22 games and we have been poor for 75% of those games stuck in second gear wait till we actually start playing.

Every one eyed Manc has an agenda to pedal at the moment. Personally I'm increasingly inclined to hope a Salah peno wins the league on the final day in the 93rd minute. That'll learn them to obsess to unhealthy degrees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Owl. wrote: »
    I've seen people say it was a soft penalty...wtf?
    Yeah, plenty of idiots out there.
    Pulled him and clipped him, yet Salah gets called the cheat rather than the defender.
    It’s tough for Liverpool haters to knock Liverpool for how they’ve played, that they’re top of the table, and having a pretty great season so far. They’ve got to try cling to something.

57 points after 22 games and we have been poor for 75% of those games stuck in second gear wait till we actually start playing.

That's nuts tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Lads Ryan Babel is back in the Premier League, loan to Fulham. Somehow he only turned 32 last month.

Did he arrive by the Babelcopter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Not sure we will ever start playing, Klopp has said it himself we have changed our approach this season. This is the new Liverpool, we'll have our great days where we blow teams away, but they will be much fewer. We are far more controlled now than we have ever been under Klopp and Rodgers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    That's nuts tbh

Its average for the last 3 season for the top team though. Only difference is /could be the gap to 2nd.

City were on 62 last season and 15 points clear.

Chelsea were on 55 the previous season and 8 points clear.

47 points seems to be the points for 2nd at this stage. Bar the season Leicester won when them and arsenal were joint top on 44, a very low total. Jesus, wed have been 13 points clear of a low points scoring pack at this stage that season :(

It's most likely going to be a 4 point lead after 22 games played. The norm would be a 10 point lead other seasons. Chelsea, in 4th, who are not exactly pulling up trees and arenon 47 points , are where the chasing pack would normally be. Instead we get 2 teams in that area and city potentially being 6 points better off than the usual 2nd place team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Grayditch wrote: »
    Nah, City have been rejuvenated after beating us, so they'll be on a strong run now.

You never know. First time City have had to chase like this. Pressure is on them. It really is an advantage for us to play first and get points on the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Not sure we will ever start playing, Klopp has said it himself we have changed our approach this season. This is the new Liverpool, we'll have our great days where we blow teams away, but they will be much fewer. We are far more controlled now than we have ever been under Klopp and Rodgers
    The approach was initially changed to avoid burn out of the players. In pre-season Klopp spoke of changing the fitness regime so that players would reach their peak later and sustain it through the second half of the season. The change to the fitness regime meant that a more conservative approach to games was necessary in the early part of the season to avoid injuries.

It's also unlikely that we will see a return to the attacking play of last season without the full compliment of players being available. We're down three central defenders (Gomez, Lovren, Matip) and three midfielders (Lallana, Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain) which leaves us with a team that virtually picks itself for now.

It would be completely reckless to have the players run themselves into the ground during games when they will need to recover and be available to start the next game. Having a bigger squad would help in this regard, but Klopp has always been happy to work with a core group of players and develop those on the fringes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Poor Lucas Hendo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Poor Lucas Hendo.

Yeah, actually thought he was excellent for the most part.

Sure, he could have been more adventurous at times going forward, but that wasn't his role today. He was a huge part of why the game was so squeezed and suffocated, with Brighton never getting a sniff of freedom. He was just always there at the base of play, always providing an option to keep possession and keep that relentless pressure going without reprieve.

It was a patient, professional team performance, and he was a massive part of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Loved the bit at the end where Robertson crunched in on knockart and won the throw to relieve the pressure and basically win the game at that point, let's out a roar at knockart ,ref pulled him aside to tell him to calm the fcuk down..

All the time wasting about 30 seconds .. fckin brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

BBC reckon it was a penalty but Salah went down exuberantly. In fairness for someone who couldn't dive a month or so ago, he's getting much better at it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yeah, actually thought he was excellent for the most part.

Sure, he could have been more adventurous at times going forward, but that wasn't his role today. He was a huge part of why the game was so squeezed and suffocated, with Brighton never getting a sniff of freedom. He was just always there at the base of play, always providing an option to keep possession and keep that relentless pressure going without reprieve.

It was a patient, professional team performance, and he was a massive part of that.

I often find that the lads that go out of their way to try critisise Henderson really don't have a basic understanding of the game.

Don't get me wrong he has some poor games but no more than Milner or Gini. But to try and use yesterday's game as a stick to beat him when he had a very good game overall is beyond rediculous

gimli2112 wrote: »
    BBC reckon it was a penalty but Salah went down exuberantly. In fairness for someone who couldn't dive a month or so ago, he's getting much better at it :)

And it was. That's all that matters.

'Soft' penalty still equals penalty :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Can't honestly believe the peno is up for debate. I know we can be biased when it's our team but he pulled him back and kicked him at the same time. It's like im looking at a different incident than other people. Reminds me of reading Duncan Castles tweets about Mourinho.

No it's not, even the BBC commentator called it a stonewall peno but still had to get his little dig in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Grayditch wrote: »

not seeing that out to 1-1 could be very costly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I often find that the lads that go out of their way to try critisise Henderson really don't have a basic understanding of the game.

Don't get me wrong he has some poor games but no more than Milner or Gini. But to try and use yesterday's game as a stick to beat him when he had a very good game overall is beyond rediculous

True this. They don't understand his offensive role is to retain possession and probe until they can find a player in space between the lines, they seem to want him to be taking chances on the half-way line with the full-backs ahead of him, or playing glory balls and riding through opposing ranks like Braveheart on his bleedin horse.

Then they try to enforce their argument by suggesting it's a small cohort of people who defend him, when it's actually 5 or 6 of these repetitive, ignorant parrots who are in the vast minority!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

TitianGerm wrote: »

Was watching the game on the US channel (NBC?) and the commentator was getting his digs in at Fabinho all the time, just to suit his narrative at the start of the game of "Midfielder playing center-half so he's not going to be good".

Fabinho controlled one cross into the box and cleared with his second - cue commentator "He needed two touches before eventually clearing it" and then described his game-saving block in the 2nd half as getting lucky with a last-ditch block, as if he'd done something wrong in the build up. There's quite often an anti-Liverpool bias in commentary, but sometimes it's quite subtle. Then other times it's Martin Tyler. Both annoying.

redzerdrog wrote: »

....s

FACT, imo :)

garra wrote: »

Then they try to enforce their argument by suggesting it's a small cohort of people who defend him, when it's actually 5 or 6 of these repetitive, ignorant parrots who are in the vast minority!!

More FACT :pac:

470279.jpg

We're top of the league and Klopp picks him. That's good enough for me.

None of our midfielders are spectacular but get the job required done. The silky stuff is left to the front 3/4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I think shaqiri seems to be best in the 'supersub' role, with milner as the dom ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I think shaqiri seems to be best in the 'supersub' role, with milner as the dom ��

Or starting in the home matches against the weakest teams

https://twitter.com/WysAkhi/status/1084152029562523648

Virgil telling Trent to get back, the old Liverpool bomb forward at 0-1 up and lose 2-1, not with Virgil around though.

4-2-4 is a bit of a luxury formation, away to Brighton & Hove Albion does not fall into that category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Virgil telling Trent to get back, the old Liverpool bomb forward at 0-1 up and lose 2-1, not with Virgil around though.

Someone needs to give him and Elvis jacket and hairdo when he swings his arm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

https://twitter.com/WysAkhi/status/1084152029562523648

Just happy the team is full of leaders now. Rodgers would cream himself if he could see the character right now.

• Advertisement

Anyone else reckon Lingard would be a more than decent addition to the team?

He's really good on social media but Milner's better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

No.

There are a lot better players out there that would add more to the Liverpool squad let alone the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Saw some mad stat today that in the 31 games Van Dijk has played in this season for club and country not one player has dribbled by him.

No.

There are a lot better players out there that would add more to the Liverpool squad let alone the team.

Only ask because I reckon his head could be turned and he has the type of profile that would make Klopp think he could improve him. I mean players are going from Arsenal to Liverpool and Arsenal to Chelsea these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

ricero wrote: »
    Saw some mad stat today that in the 31 games Van Dijk has played in this season for club and country not one played has dribbled by him.

Even Kane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I’ve no doubt Klopp could improve any player but I don’t think Lingard has the innate talent to be improved enough to contribute to the team.

If we want to test Klopp’s limits maybe try Phil Jones.

Neal Maupay would be a good signing. Clever footballer and room to improve, the potential is there could be bought for 14m. Reminds me a bit of Suarez

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Henderson is the new Lucas. He’s the battleground between Liverpool fans on one side who revel in saying he’s crap because they’re “calling it like it is” and the academic Tomkins Times types who say he’s brilliant and does a lot of things the ignorant football mob just can’t see.

I think he’s a good player but obviously he’s not brilliant. We will never have to fight off another club to keep him. I don’t think he’ll start for us next season but I like him, he’s good to have in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Raisins wrote: »
    Henderson is the new Lucas. He’s the battleground between Liverpool fans on one side who revel in saying he’s crap because they’re “calling it like it is” and the academic Tomkins Times types who say he’s brilliant and does a lot of things the ignorant football mob just can’t see.

I think he’s a good player but obviously he’s not brilliant. We will never have to fight off another club to keep him. I don’t think he’ll start for us next season but I like him, he’s good to have in the squad.

They also said he wouldn’t start this season 🤔..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement