Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Surely United will aplly themselfs in the City game even if it we ment Liverpool win the Prem ??
    Its what big clubs do worry about there own games ,Liverpool set the example v Blackburn on the final day all them years ago , when they beat a Blackburn team that was a draw from the title and manged by a Liverpool legend Kenny , All Uinted had to do was beat Westham but failed

That day couldn't have gone much better. I remember all the talk from United fans at the time was that they'd walk all over West Ham but it would be to no avail because Liverpool would throw the game with Blackburn to hand them (Blackburn) the title.

Instead;
    1. Liverpool beat Blackburn fair and square despite it allowing their biggest rivals to get their hands on another title. A top club doing what it should do, and look out for itself first and foremost.
    2. Utd blew it against West Ham.
    3. Kenny lifted the trophy at Anfield and everyone there delighted for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    :D

I know, I know.

But 10 years ago City were further away from winning the league than Everton! Even 3/4 years ago Everton were closer to the title than Leicester :P

5starpool wrote: »
    Probably nightmares about that time you were outside the GPO.

2013 - Never Forget

photo0jpg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

5starpool wrote: »
    Probably nightmares about that time you were outside the GPO.

Good to see I'm not forgotten in here . Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Most likely the Manchester Derby will be a mid week game in April or May as Man City should make it to the FA Cup Quarter Final

Big for us if it happened like that, if it gets moved to April then City will have an incredible amount of fixture pile-up over 4 weeks.

Potentially it could play out like this...

April 6 - possibly the FA Cup semi-final (which would push Cardiff (H) to later in the month)
    April 9/10 - Champions League QF Leg 1
    April 13 - Crystal Palace (A)
    April 16/17 - Champions League QF Leg 2
    April 20 - Spurs (H)
    April 24 - possibly the rescheduled Cardiff (H)
    April 27 - Burnley (A)
    May 1 - possibly the rescheduled Man Utd (A)
    May 4 - Leicester (H)

9 games in 28 days, assuming they reach the FA Cup Semi-Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I could really get behind a Man City treble this year

I hope City get to semi or finals of every comp. CL aside if they have to play us obviously!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Since Klopp became manager in October 2015 we haven't lost back to back league games.

https://twitter.com/danielstorey85/status/1084575258311577600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Umaro wrote: »
    Big for us if it happened like that, if it gets moved to April then City will have an incredible amount of fixture pile-up over 4 weeks.

Potentially it could play out like this...

April 6 - possibly the FA Cup semi-final (which would push Cardiff (H) to later in the month)
    April 9/10 - Champions League QF Leg 1
    April 13 - Crystal Palace (A)
    April 16/17 - Champions League QF Leg 2
    April 20 - Spurs (H)
    April 24 - possibly the rescheduled Cardiff (H)
    April 27 - Burnley (A)
    May 1 - possibly the rescheduled Man Utd (A)
    May 4 - Leicester (H)

9 games in 28 days, assuming they reach the FA Cup Semi-Final.

Have to fit in Everton away as that game is off now unless Burton score 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Surely United will aplly themselfs in the City game even if it we ment Liverpool win the Prem ??
    Its what big clubs do worry about there own games ,Liverpool set the example v Blackburn on the final day all them years ago , when they beat a Blackburn team that was a draw from the title and manged by a Liverpool legend Kenny , All Uinted had to do was beat Westham but failed

Yeah I'm sure Lindelof, Matic and Pogba will be thinking of that day and Liverpool when they play their city rivals in the league alright.

City or Liverpool could be 10 points clear at that stage so not sure why it would be being brought up as an issue now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Come on Coady and the Wolves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Come on Coady and the Wolves!

He must be close to an England call-up, been excellent for them, and as captain has really showed his maturity...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Our record against teams outside the top 6 is RICICULOUS. Any team would always write-off 8/10 points a season against these teams because you rest some players, or they play 11 behind the ball, or they are a strong team at home. To keep winning these games is something we haven't done in decades.

Please keep it going Redmen!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Can't see Wolves get anything from the game, but they will put it up to City, I'd say. It's still in our own hands, sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Its actually ridic to have a season like this and only be potentially four points clear at this stage of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dickerty wrote: »
    He must be close to an England call-up, been excellent for them, and as captain has really showed his maturity...

But not good enough to be the third CB for Liverpool according to some in here.

Wolves will give them a game but hard to see them landing a real blow, as posted above it may be City's schedule that does them the greatest harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Wolves will give them a game but hard to see them landing a real blow, as posted above it may be City's schedule that does them the greatest harm.

He is playing in a 3 at the back & 5 when they don't have the ball.

He would be exposed playing for us.

I don't think he would be good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

MD1990 wrote: »

He would definitely be a useful back up option considering our current CB's bar VVD are made of twigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Better than Matip, not as good as Gomez. Probably on a par with "average Lovren", infinitely better than "NERVOL" but not as good as "on-form Lovren". He reads the game well and is OK pace wise but I don't think we'd have him back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

This is correct,

If you watch Coady he is used in the Center of the 3 for his passing firstly and only secondly for his defending (which is still decent)

He is the one they give the ball to id they can't find an easy pass out of the back 3 , he plays long balls to the wing backs or midfield ,

Klopp gave a great interview after the Wolves Prem game where he explained exactly what Wolves do and what Coady does for them ,How he is there to try bring players on to him to then start attacks with his good passing,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

DrumSteve wrote: »
    He would definitely be a useful back up option considering our current CB's bar VVD are made of twigs.

He would cost way to much though. He might not want to come to Liverpool and be back up either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Better than Matip, not as good as Gomez. Probably on a par with "average Lovren", infinitely better than "NERVOL" but not as good as "on-form Lovren". He reads the game well and is OK pace wise but I don't think we'd have him back.

He isn't as good as Matip.

Matip is very good at bringng out the ball as well. Coady is unproven playing in a two as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Grayditch wrote: »
    Can't see Wolves get anything from the game, but they will put it up to City, I'd say. It's still in our own hands, sure.

I hope they give it a right good go against City, unlike Southampton recently whose manager admitted making changes to save legs for the following Chelsea match. Dude is German but obviously not a Klopp mate.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

garra wrote: »
    I hope they give it a right good go against City, unlike Southampton recently whose manager admitted making changes to save legs for the following Chelsea match. Dude is German but obviously not a Klopp mate.

Irrelevant really, but he's Austrian.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

City have 5 games in 16 days coming up --- granted one is against Burton --- but it's a lot of games that ends with a game v Arsenal --- then a week break to Chelsea....

After Palace this weekend, Liverpool will have a 10 day break to their next fixture v Palace.

• Advertisement

To be fair to him he made the right choice,
    He obviously felt they had more of a chance in the Chelsea game and they did,he got a point ,

Hate playing Palace ,

There pretty crap but at the same time they have players capable of moments of brilliance,
    We must win all our games up to the United one ,

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

When is Gomez back??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

To be fair to him he made the right choice,
    He obviously felt they had more of a chance in the Chelsea game and they did,he got a point ,

We will never know how they would have faired with their best 11 against City.

Just hope Wolves don't have same negative approach tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    City have 5 games in 16 days coming up --- granted one is against Burton --- but it's a lot of games that ends with a game v Arsenal --- then a week break to Chelsea....

After Palace this weekend, Liverpool will have a 10 day break to their next fixture v Palace.

Palace twice :P

In other words Man City will play 4 games between Liverpool play Palace on the 19th and Leicester on the 30th

19th Liverpool V Palace
    20th Huddersfield V Man City
    23rd Burton V Man City
    26th Man City V Burnley
    29th Newcastle V Man City
    30th Liverpool V Leicester

• Advertisement

Can't see it they have nearly a week to the next game,

Saints had what 3 days between them games and by all accounts there new manger is only in the door and love to press high , he has said since he came in the teams have been doing extra session to get there fitness up , I'm sure that was tuff on them with the Christmas period on top of it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It's his first season there, I'd hold off on anything until he gets another season in the PL under his belt.

In other words Man City will play 4 games between Liverpool play Palace on the 19th and Leicester on the 30th

19th Liverpool V Palace
    23rd Burton V Man City
    26th Man City V Burnley

That Burton game will probably go to extra time and penalties too so that will stretch the legs I'd imagine ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Dickerty wrote: »
    Our record against teams outside the top 6 is RICICULOUS. Any team would always write-off 8/10 points a season against these teams because you rest some players, or they play 11 behind the ball, or they are a strong team at home. To keep winning these games is something we haven't done in decades.

Please keep it going Redmen!!

I was thinking this last night. For a good few years we'd great form against the top 5 or 6 teams, but have off days against others. We'd beat Chelsea or City and then lose to Stoke the following week. We've slowly been changing that, was it last season or the season before when we had poor results against the top 5/6, but were improving against the rest of the league?

Now we've got 12 points from 21 from the other top 6 teams so far, which is pretty good, and of course 45 from 45 from everyone else, which is basically perfect. While the games against your closest rivals are obviously important, when it comes down to it, there are 'only' 30 points up for grabs from the rest of the top 6 teams in a season, but there are 84 points up for grabs from all the other games.

'All' we have to do is keep this form going, if we can. It's a big 'all', and there are still 16 games to go, but it's been an amazing season so far.

How many wins do people think we will need from our last 16 games to win it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Televised game and it's a free hit for them - I'd expect them to give it right good go tonight.

Man City have had a couple of days to think about the 7 point gap which will be preying on their minds - it's really a must-win game for them.

You would expect City to win this match without too much trouble but you just never know.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

jasonb wrote: »
    I was thinking this last night. For a good few years we'd great form against the top 5 or 6 teams, but have off days against others. We'd beat Chelsea or City and then lose to Stoke the following week. We've slowly been changing that, was it last season or the season before when we had poor results against the top 5/6, but were improving against the rest of the league?

Now we've got 12 points from 21 from the other top 6 teams so far, which is pretty good, and of course 45 from 45 from everyone else, which is basically perfect. While the games against your closest rivals are obviously important, when it comes down to it, there are 'only' 30 points up for grabs from the rest of the top 6 teams in a season, but there are 84 points up for grabs from all the other games.

'All' we have to do is keep this form going, if we can. It's a big 'all', and there are still 16 games to go, but it's been an amazing season so far.

The gap between the top 6 and the rest is wider than ever, The bottom teams have more money than ever but still buy the same players they always would have but at a higher cost ,

As you pointed out we already have more points against the other big 6 than we did for the whole of last season , We have 12 with 3 games to go and last season ended with 10 ,

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

19th Liverpool V Palace
    23rd Burton V Man City
    26th Man City V Burnley

Full team vs Huddersfield and Newcastle for them. Play the u-12's vs Burton and about 5/6 main starters probably against Burnley. They'll be grand I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

13 I reckon

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Id have said 13

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I don't see City losing or drawing another game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

We must win all our games up to the United one ,

i'm not saying you're wrong, because you're not really, but we need to take a fúcking second to realise how demented the City standard (and ours is).

the idea that you would have to win every single game up until a game on February 24th is so new.

i read a stat this weekend that in many other seasons, Sarri's Chelsea would be 5 points clear with the total that they are currently on. the pressure to relentlessly win games is ridiculous. and it's not like Scotland. there are 6 legitimately very good teams who can beat each other on a given day. then I'd argue 6 teams or so who can really make it difficult and can catch you cold on an off day, or at the very least snag a point. then the rest are probably fodder.

but having to beat everyone home and away is a relatively new development in Premier League football. i'm still struggling to adjust.

I don't see City losing or drawing another game.

You think they will win all 17 ?

I can see them losing to United and drawing with Spurs ,Then there can be a slip up when the champions league kicks in , Remember they got beat by Palace and Leicester not to long ago,

I think there win against Liverpool which they played out of there skin , where lucky and Liverpool played poorly along with the Burton trashing seems to have people thinking there something they are not ,

I can see them losing to United and drawing with Spurs ,Then there can be a slip up when the champions league kicks in , Remember they got beat by Palace and Leicester not to long ago,

I think there win against Liverpool which they played out of there skin , where lucky and Liverpool played poorly along with the Burton trashing seems to have people thinking there something they are not ,

Yep, I think they will win very league match until the end of the season.
    Probably the same in the cups.
    They are an incredible team. The 2 defeats recently were enough of a shock for them to not let it happen again.

SlickRic wrote: »
    i'm not saying you're wrong, because you're not really, but we need to take a fúcking second to realise how demented the City standard (and ours is).

the idea that you would have to win every single game up until a game on February 24th is so new.

i read a stat this weekend that in many other seasons, Sarri's Chelsea would be 5 points clear with the total that they are currently on. the pressure to relentlessly win games is ridiculous. and it's not like Scotland. there are 6 legitimately very good teams who can beat each other on a given day. then I'd argue 6 teams or so who can really make it difficult and can catch you cold on an off day, or at the very least snag a point. then the rest are probably fodder.

but having to beat everyone home and away is a relatively new development in Premier League football. i'm still struggling to adjust.

Yes it crazy but its what must be done to beat City they set the pace to a new level last year,

The games are actually ok leading up to United

They are Palace, Leicester , Bournemouth at home

Only Westham away

After United we only have Chelsea and Spurs out of the top 6 to play and both games at our own ground ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

All depends how far city go on their remaining cup competitions (and ourselves obviously) think what the oilgarchs want most is the CL so if they've an injury or two at the tail end of the season and in contention for both he might prioritise the CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Yep, I think they will win very league match until the end of the season.
    Probably the same in the cups.
    They are an incredible team. The 2 defeats recently were enough of a shock for them to not let it happen again.

The longest winning streak in PL history is 18 games. Set by City last season. If they win every game in the league between now and May, they would end the season with a run of 19 consecutive wins in the league.

I mean, it's not impossible but that would be an absolutely ridiculous run of form, especially when they have to go to Old Trafford, play Spurs and, potentially, a long run in the Champions League (they're sure to be in the QFs anyway so would depend on the draw from there).

For what it's worth, I don't think City will drop more than a handful of points - say 14-15 wins, 2 draws and maybe 1 defeat - so we won't have much room for error in our own run. I'm just not sure I see anyone winning every single game, especially when you see how congested the fixture lists can get with rearranged games, FA Cup ties and tricky European trips.

If my guess at City's run of form is right, they'd end up on 94 points, meaning we'd need to take 38 from the 48 available to us to stay ahead. If they do win the lot, we need 45 out of 48. F*cking hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I can't see them losing to United at all or Spurs.

The got beat by those two mostly cos Fernandinho was out and also, they weren't total gash in those games either (bar Kyle Walker).

We need to win every game we play full stop.

The longest winning streak in PL history is 18 games. Set by City last season. If they win every game in the league between now and May, they would end the season with a run of 19 consecutive wins in the league.

I mean, it's not impossible but that would be an absolutely ridiculous run of form, especially when they have to go to Old Trafford, play Spurs and, potentially, a long run in the Champions League (they're sure to be in the QFs anyway so would depend on the draw from there).

For what it's worth, I don't think City will drop more than a handful of points - say 14-15 wins, 2 draws and maybe 1 defeat - so we won't have much room for error in our own run. I'm just not sure I see anyone winning every single game, especially when you see how congested the fixture lists can get with rearranged games, FA Cup ties and tricky European trips.

If my guess at City's run of form is right, they'd end up on 94 points, meaning we'd need to take 38 from the 48 available to us to stay ahead. If they do win the lot, we need 45 out of 48. F*cking hell.

Its mental because that is very realistic

City where so so so good last season how much did it take out of them ,

Can they repeat it again this season and get close to 100 points ?

Is it more likely a that last year was a once off or is it how good they are ?

As a Liverpool fan if Liverpool get into 90 points zone and don't win it I can't see them doing it again next year ,

• Advertisement

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I can't see them losing to United at all or Spurs.

The got beat by those two mostly cos Fernandinho was out and also, they weren't total gash in those games either (bar Kyle Walker).

We need to win every game we play full stop.

United at old Trafford can beat anyone and its not a surprise
    Plus they may very well be fighting for 4th or 3rd spot ,
    I can see them beating City , wouldn't be surprised either way in that game,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement