Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Also happy to Babel back in the league. Incredibly frustrating player at times but had some decent moments for Liverpool..Arsenal, United. That goal against Lyon too stands out. Unbelievable strike that was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Clyne has played like 2 games in 2 years, the timing is unfortunate but you can't just hold onto players forever on the off chance you need them once in a blue moon.

Why is it a mess....Klopp had a player who wasnt happy and wanted out.

He has Fab, Gomez (once fit) and Milner to fill in in the position. Fabs plays there for Brazil so I would say that is OK cover to have.

Fab can fill in but he's been excellent in midfield. Gomez is still injured, when he's back fit, great. Milner can indeed fill in. Not ideal but will do.

Maybe a mess was an exaggeration but I'm getting twitchy about how many fit defenders we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Fab can fill in but he's been excellent in midfield. Gomez is still injured, when he's back fit, great. Milner can indeed fill in. Not ideal but will do.

Maybe a mess was an exaggeration but I'm getting twitchy about how many fit defenders we have.

How many games did Clyne play in the previous season??? Sure he could break down at any time with small injuries that players get when coming back from long term injuries when playing the style we do.

Add to that.....He didnt want to be at the club...he wanted out. Should Klopp keep him against his will and risk him rocking the boat in the background when he knew he had a few other alternatives.

What injury did he have for the 2 seasons previous????

How many games did Clyne play in the previous season??? Sure he could break down at any time with small injuries that players get when coming back from long term injuries when playing the style we do.

Add to that.....He didnt want to be at the club...he wanted out. Should Klopp keep him against his will and risk him rocking the boat in the background when he knew he had a few other alternatives.

What injury did he have for the 2 seasons previous????

If he wanted to leave fair enough. He's a good defender though.

However, we need sufficent back up in case TAA gets injured, which has happened. We can plug in a midfielder, but it's not ideal.

Back injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

If he wanted to leave fair enough. He's a good defender though.

However, we need sufficent back up in case TAA gets injured, which has happened. We can plug in a midfielder, but it's not ideal.

Back injury.

Keita, Milner, Henderson and Shaq to an extent all play center midfield. 4 men for 2 positions. We survived without Fab at the start of the season.

Fab or Milner can cover at right back right now, Hoever whom Klopp rates highly if we want to take a risk, Matip and Gomez when fit also.

The club cannot have 3 first team players in each position and that is not how Klopp organises his squad. I remember well standing on the Süd in Dortmund asking myself who Goetze and Sahin were in Dortmunds team back in the day. Reality was he put them in due to injury and they came good. So maybe Philips, Masterson or Hoever could be the next big thing and maybe take their chance.

I was very impressed by Hoever when he came on in the cup.....he can play right back or in the middle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Its annoying, if Clyne stayed he'd definitely get games at this point.....but he did want out and on a normal matchday we have Gomez and TAA with the possibility of Milner/Fabinho in a stretch......he'd probably get 2/3 games this month so would be handy now no doubt but its a timing thing more than anything.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Surprised people are taking Clyne at his word. No way was this just about fitness.

Keita, Milner, Henderson and Shaq to an extent all play center midfield. 4 men for 2 positions. We survived without Fab at the start of the season.

Fab or Milner can cover at right back right now, Hoever whom Klopp rates highly if we want to take a risk, Matip and Gomez when fit also.

The club cannot have 3 first team players in each position and that is not how Klopp organises his squad. I remember well standing on the Süd in Dortmund asking myself who Goetze and Sahin were in Dortmunds team back in the day. Reality was he put them in due to injury and they came good. So maybe Philips, Masterson or Hoever could be the next big thing and maybe take their chance.

I was very impressed by Hoever when he came on in the cup.....he can play right back or in the middle

Tbh, in a normal season, I wouldn't be too bothered about this.
    Fine lines decide titles tough, and I really hope injuries don't scupper our chances.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Fair play to Babel, he matured as a person over the years quite a bit and that has reflected on the pitch in recent years.
    More composed and less headless is how I'd describe him.

We have adequate cover at right full, Milner/Fab/Camacho/Moreno. I think that Matip may have slotted in there a couple of times for us before.
    Gomez is nearly back as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Surprised people are taking Clyne at his word. No way was this just about fitness.

Should more be talking about him supposedly doing drugs or something :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Also happy to Babel back in the league. Incredibly frustrating player at times but had some decent moments for Liverpool..Arsenal, United. That goal against Lyon too stands out. Unbelievable strike that was.

I still really love his first ever Liverpool goal against Derby. Sat down two players, shifted onto his right, and slotted it home. What a way to introduce yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Can we stick Hoever in for a game or two in place of Trent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Grayditch wrote: »

Might as well, he’s just gathering dust as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Had to be something to Clyne leaving. It's not like the club didn't stop to think that he'd likely be needed at some point.

The whole thing is bizarre. It could be the difference in winning trophies or not. That's the margins you're working with when it comes to the squad and theres no doubt that he's a fine player and high quality back up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Grayditch wrote: »

Henry sez no to Hoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

The game against Palace should be our last with the current defensive injury problems. By the time Leicester game comes around only Trent should be out.

- Matip will likely get some type of time this week.
    - It will have been 8 weeks since Gomez's injury (six was the estimate) so should be fit and can play RB again for a few weeks.
    - I assume Lovren will be back as we havn't heard anything major is wrong
    - Trent will be two weeks away at most.

Milner/Fab at RB for this weekend and we'll be fine after.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Should more be talking about him supposedly doing drugs or something :confused:

It was on Facebook. Must be true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Henry sez no to Hoever.

Henry is the worst hoover. Charles is the pick of that bunch. Pity he's a bloody blue though.
    Can't say a bad word against James either though.

henry_hoover_range-870x206.jpg

It was on Facebook. Must be true!

There's something going on be it drugs or something else because there was no logic to letting him go otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Are people really saying that they would prefer a 16 year old Hoever over Fabinho playing right back? Fabinho graduated from the Fluminese academy as a right back, he played for Real Madrid as right back, he played for Monaco as a right back (26 games) before switching to DM. He played for Brazil four months ago as right back.

If needs be Fabinho should be our replacement right back when we have Henderson, Milner, Keita, Shaq fit.

We can also play with Bobby coming deep to midfield.

As much as I'd like to see Fabinho in the middle he's the obvious pick for right back now. As much as I like to see youth getting a chance putting in 16 year old Hoever in such a high stakes game against the likes of Zaha seems irresponsible.

You'd swear Henderson/Keita are total liabilities or something.

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Are people really saying that they would prefer a 16 year old Hoever over Fabinho playing right back? Fabinho graduated from the Fluminese academy as a right back, he played for Real Madrid as right back, he played for Monaco as a right back (26 games) before switching to DM. He played for Brazil four months ago as right back.

If needs be Fabinho should be our replacement right back when we have Henderson, Milner, Keita, Shaq fit.

We can also play with Bobby coming deep to midfield.

Right at this point in time, he's our most valuable midfielder though. Yes, maybe he would be better than others at right back, but what we lose by having someone else at right back might well be significantly less than what we lose in not having Fab in midfield.

Personally, I'd have Milner at RB every day of the week because Fab has been a difference maker in midfield - especially if Gini is out too, as looks to be the case.

There's also the side element that Fab hasn't trained to be a FB in our system. As good a fullback as he's been elsewhere, at Liverpool, he's a midfielder. I know people don't think that's important, but it obviously is to Klopp. He takes positional roles seriously - as seen by not even playing players until they've had a few months training to understand exactly what is expected of them. All the people he's used there have trained in that position. Milner stopped being considered a midfielder for a year and trained solely as a fullback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Right at this point in time, he's our most valuable midfielder though. Yes, maybe he would be better than others at right back, but what we lose by having someone else at right back might well be significantly less than what we lose in not having Fab in midfield.

Personally, I'd have Milner at RB every day of the week because Fab has been a difference maker in midfield - especially if Gini is out too, as looks to be the case.

There's also the side element that Fab hasn't trained to be a FB in our system. As good a fullback as he's been elsewhere, at Liverpool, he's a midfielder. I know people don't think that's important, but it obviously is to Klopp. He takes positional roles seriously - as seen by not even playing players until they've had a few months training to understand exactly what is expected of them. All the people he's used there have trained in that position. Milner stopped being considered a midfielder for a year and trained solely as a fullback.

When Fab joined Klopp said he can play 6, 8 and 2 "which is really cool!". So I'm sure Klopp has it in mind.

I agree though that I would have Milner at right back as Fabinho is a more forward playing midfielder but my point was more that instead of starting a 16 year we have a ready made experienced full back should the need arise.

When Fab joined Klopp said he can play 6, 8 and 2 "which is really cool!". So I'm sure Klopp has it in mind.

I agree though that I would have Milner at right back as Fabinho is a more forward playing midfielder but my point was more that instead of starting a 16 year we have a ready made experienced full back should the need arise.

Yeah, I think quite a few options are going to be higher in Klopp's pecking order than throwing Hoever in. Had that Wolves game been a league match, there's no way he'd have been involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

It's almost like Klopp considered this when both signing the players, and when letting them leave...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

mb40klk15na21.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

"I must go now, my planet needs me" - Shaqiri

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Mane is spouting that we will win he league and that we are not chokers

Ffs , lads shut the mouths plz

Embarrassing when you hear what they saying

Source : skysports app

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Why are you embarrassed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

There should be media blackout until May, lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Might have Lovern asked him to say it for him. Goddamn Lovern needs to shut his mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Why are you embarrassed?

Laughing stock if we choke

No other team spouting this crap when in the lead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'll take it with a pinch of salt, then.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Laughing stock if we choke

No other team spouting this crap when in the lead

There are always plenty of players from teams in the lead saying of course they can win a competition, and not just in soccer.

Why would we be a laughing stock? City could conceivably win all their remaining games and we draw two games and they win on goal difference. Is that choking?

It's good that the players have confidence in their ability and believe they can win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Googled Mane. Talksport article quotes Mane talking to the Sun?

https://talksport.com/football/475278/liverpool-sadio-mane-manchester-city-wont-choke-champions/
    “This is not a team of chokers. We will be champions,” he told The Sun.

“I am sure we will be champions of England.

“When I wake up, I don’t go to the training ground thinking we will not win.

“We are determined to show we are the best team in the league.”

edit: Appears it was from the recent African awards ceremony, and talksport were lazy as **** in their research. Who would have known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

He told the s*n?? Well I hope for his sake he didn't speak to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

shamrock55 wrote: »
    He told the s*n?? Well I hope for his sake he didn't speak to them

That rag takes any player interviews from a foreign source and claims it was an exclusive interview forgetting there is the internet these days so people will find the original source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

2QeTv.jpg

Knex. wrote: »
    Googled Mane. Talksport article quotes Mane talking to the Sun?

https://talksport.com/football/475278/liverpool-sadio-mane-manchester-city-wont-choke-champions/

edit: Appears it was from the recent African awards ceremony, and talksport were lazy as **** in their research. Who would have known.

The full speil :

Sadio Mane is adamant Liverpool will win the Premier League this season and insists the Reds will not "choke" under the pressure of the title race.

Jurgen Klopp's side are four points clear of nearest rivals Manchester City at the top of the league, with 16 games remaining in the campaign.

Pep Guardiola has warned Liverpool of the pressures of being Premier League leaders but Mane expects his team-mates to cope with the run-in, as they look to end the club's 29-year wait for the title.

He said: "This is not a team of chokers. I am sure we will be champions of England.

"When I wake up, I don't go to the training ground thinking we will not win. We are determined to show we are the best team in the league."

Liverpool's last serious title challenge came during the 2013-14 season when the club finished two points behind Manchester City under Brendan Rodgers.

A costly 2-0 defeat to Chelsea at Anfield, coupled with a 3-3 draw with Crystal Palace in the penultimate game of the season, allowed City to come from behind and claim the title.

Mane says the current squad will use that disappointment as motivation in the second half of the season.

He said: "It is not easy to hear people accuse the team of being chokers but we have to ignore it and focus on what is in front of us.

"Liverpool had the chance to win it a few years ago and did not do it but I prefer to think it helped to bring us where we are now.

"This is not a team of chokers. I am sure we will win the league."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-winger-sadio-mane-fuming-15685602

Apparently not - Mané 'fuming' over fake quotes, according to James Pearce.

No actual quotes in the Echo piece, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Agree with this, it's definitely a good and valid point that Fabinho is a qualified right-back, but we've already seen Milner at right-back this season do fine and Fabinho will likely be needed either at CB or CM.

It's a valid point also that the full-backs in our system are very modern, wing-back fullbacks (essentially left and right midfielders if you look at their heatmaps / attacking contribution, how often they will run beyond the ball etc...). Unsure if that was the type of role Fabinho played? We know Milner will have no issue with this.

I'm sure Klopp will make the right call anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

When's the last time we had as many players in our squad who have won a league title elsewhere in their careers? It seems like only a few years ago we were full of players who were signed from mid table PL clubs or younger players from abroad who didn't have experience of winning anything. Right now it seems like we have quite a few players who have won leagues before joining us

van Dijk
    Salah
    Mané
    Shaqiri
    Sturridge
    Fabinho
    Milner
    Wijnaldum
    Alisson
    Lovren
    Keita

And then we had players in the lower divisions in England miss out on league wins but still go through the season to get promoted:

Lallana
    Robertson
    Oxlade-Chamberlain

Yeah I know people will say the Scottish/Dutch/Swiss leagues are lower quality etc but just for sheer experience of being at a club while they battle for a title it's encouraging when you compare it to some of our past squads in the PL era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

8-10 wrote: »
    When's the last time we had as many players in our squad who have won a league title elsewhere in their careers? It seems like only a few years ago we were full of players who were signed from mid table PL clubs or younger players from abroad who didn't have experience of winning anything. Right now it seems like we have quite a few players who have won leagues before joining us

van Dijk
    Salah
    ManShaqiri
    Sturridge
    Fabinho
    Milner
    Wijnaldum
    Alisson
    Lovren
    Keita

And then we had players in the lower divisions in England miss out on league wins but still go through the season to get promoted:

Lallana
    Robertson
    Oxlade-Chamberlain

Yeah I know people will say the Scottish/Dutch/Swiss leagues are lower quality etc but just for sheer experience of being at a club while they battle for a title it's encouraging when you compare it to some of our past squads in the PL era.

I think that's an excellent point. Doesn't matter where they won, the pressure and the like what be similar.
    It's ramped up now becuase but their experience has ramped up too. So the pressure is all relative and they experienced it.
    Really good post 8-10. I wonder how much each player were involved in these league wins though.
    Sturridge? Was he vital? Shaqiri too?
    That might be a factor. Involved but not vital cogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Anyone know if we are on the telly on sky sports Ireland on Saturday?

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Anyone know if we are on the telly on sky sports Ireland on Saturday?

Liverpool game is not on Sky in Ireland this weekend

Liverpool game is not on Sky in Ireland this weekend

I think it's an NBCSN jobbie...

I still really love his first ever Liverpool goal against Derby. Sat down two players, shifted onto his right, and slotted it home. What a way to introduce yourself!

But his best is this

Pity about the quality

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement