Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I prefer punk passes to prog passes anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Interesting that Milner is our midfielder that gets the ball forward most.

Keita is actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I prefer punk passes to prog passes anyway.

Henderson is a Mumford and Son passer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Keita is actually

Milner beats him by quite a bit. Keita runs with it the most (5 times per game), but Milner passes it forward much more (11+ times per game).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Personally i think origi should be kept. He has genuine talent. Unfortunately hell never get a run of games

Contracts for the senior squad

Gomez
    06/2024
    Alisson
    06/2024
    Robertson----24----06/2024
    Salah
    26----06/2023
    Mane
    26----06/2023
    Shaqiri
    27----06/2023
    van Dijk
    27----06/2023
    Firmino
    27----06/2023
    Keïta
    23----06/2023
    Fabinho
    25----06/2023
    Henderson---28----06/2023
    Ox-Cham----25----06/2022 (presumably the club will wait and see before renewal talks)
    Alex-Arnold--20----06/2021 (talks in the offing)
    Wijnaldum---28----06/2021
    Mignolet ----30----06/2021
    Lovren
    29----06/2021
    Lallana
    30----06/2020+ 6 months option
    Matip
    27----06/2020 (?)
    Milner
    33----06/2020 (rolling renewal or release?)
    Origi
    23----06/2020 (sold in summer)
    Sturridge---29
    06/2019 (released in summer)
    Moreno
    26----06/2019 (released in summer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Squad looks small, I know there hopefully will be a couple of the younger players stepping up but we will still need a bigger squad especially to compete in multiple competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

There's 16 outfield players Klopp trusts and get used regularly (ox being the exception this year). this is his squad. You aim to keep all of these but if one goes out they need to be replaced.

Defenders - TAA, Gomez, VVD, Lovren, Matip, Robertson
    Midfielders - Gini, Milner, Fabinho, Henderson, Keita, Ox, Shaqiri
    Forwards - Mane, Salah, Firmino

Then there is the 5 players on fringe of the squad. These are the guys that have the odd game but Klopp doesn't really trust/use. I'd hope we get rid of these five (Clyne already played his last game for us) and replace them with 3 players. One left sided defender, one midfield player and one attacker, bringing our outfield squad to a strong 19.

Clyne, Moreno, Lallana, Sturridge, Origi

Then there is the youth prospects, in reality we'd be lucky if one can actually make the step up and be a valuable squad player.

Hoever, Camacho, Jones, Brewster

Get this summer right and we have a very strong squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Rather than relying on the young lads with no senior experience, we could always allow them to go out on loan and recall the young lad that's showing signs of being able to perform at a senior level.

Wilson is doing a fine job in the championship and also has put in motm performances against PL sides in the two domestic cups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Charlie19 wrote:
    Rather than relying on the young lads with no senior experience, we could always allow them to go out on loan and recall the young lad that's showing signs of being able to perform at a senior level.

Charlie19 wrote:
    Wilson is doing a fine job in the championship and also has put in motm performances against PL sides in the two domestic cups.

So he sits around here not playing, maybe a handful of minutes here and there?
    Leave him where he is, where he's developing substantially and even increasing his transfer value if we decided to sell him.
    We're clearly not relying on young lads with no senior experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

What's more important his development or maybe being around the squad and giving Liverpool options in helping deliver a CL or a PL title. It's been far too long and I honestly think he could contribute to the side in areas that other squad members can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Got to love a good summer clear out of deadweight.

Great news on Robbo signing now get TAA and Gini tried down for a few extra years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Hard to believe looking back that Klopp absolutely REFUSED to play Robertson, there was no way he was playing fullstop! His hand was forced through an injury to Moreno? I think that is what put him in the team, and there he stayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

or maybe, heaven forbid, Klopp had a plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

REFUSED to play him, except for those games he played him in.

REFUSING to play Fabinho now too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Few rumours from the online in the knows that Gini will be fit for the game tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

gimli2112 wrote: »
    or maybe, heaven forbid, Klopp had a plan

It’s not inconceivable that Klopp felt he wasn’t ready and/or injuries just forced his hand. Makes me think of how Yorke and Coles partnership in 99. There had been rotation of forwards until an injury to either Ole/Sheringham. The two played together for a few games , hit it off and the rest is history. Sure look at united now, the owners have stumbled into hiring a coach who is doing a decent job... I just think these things are sometimes a bit of luck and/or good planning.

Now that Liverpool are in pole position for the league I wouldn’t expect to see Klopp pick any newish players or try out anything he hasn’t already done tactically. I was also saying to a Liverpool mate of mine that I would expect many more games like Brighton and at least one result (a draw) that looks like a terrible result that will turn out to be important by the end of the season.

Liverpool’s biggest obstacle for me is how consistent City will be. I think their spirits can be broken but liverpool have to be ruthless. The tit for tat , whoever plays first each weeekend must win, will be interesting. Playing a Lessor team as the season wears on is like playing a top 4 side when the title looks within your grasp. Your team can look very leggy but the Everton and brighten 1-0s are what make me think Liverpool might be ready for that final hurdle.

City haven’t had to work for their title and we saw even last season when they were cruising against united, that when a team puts it up to them they can struggle. I would also suggest that Liverpool have more drive and probably a better team spirit because any player at the club wants to be there for reasons more then money.

I’ve said it before, but for some of the Liverpool fans who can be really annoying, I would prefer Liverpool to win the league. The rivalry between our clubs makes it hard to cheer on Pool. When I am calm and balanced I feel like I want Liverpool to win the league, when I am tired and stressed I want city and Liverpool docked 20 points so spurs can sneak in! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Interesting that Milner is our midfielder that gets the ball forward most.

Might be slightly skewed due to him playing full back a couple of times.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’ve said it before, but for some of the Liverpool fans who can be really annoying, I would prefer Liverpool to win the league. The rivalry between our clubs makes it hard to cheer on Pool. When I am calm and balanced I feel like I want Liverpool to win the league, when I am tired and stressed I want city and Liverpool docked 20 points so spurs can sneak in! :pac:
    Some? We're the worst fans in the world! I accept your best wishes however :)
    Personally I'm not ingrained in the Utd Liverpool tit for tat. Don't get me wrong I hate your club but have nothing against the fans. I'm actually not unhappy for you lot that Mourinho is gone, no-one deserves that eejit. Still hope you get the Europa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Some? We're the worst fans in the world! I accept your best wishes however :)
    Personally I'm not ingrained in the Utd Liverpool tit for tat. Don't get me wrong I hate your club but have nothing against the fans. I'm actually not unhappy for you lot that Mourinho is gone, no-one deserves that eejit. Still hope you get the Europa.

I try to stay away from that stuff, it’s easier for me because I am self employed. I play 5 aside with a lad who I carpool with and he dreads going into work when united lose and loves it when pool lose. I would hate that!!

I listened to the Brighton game while playing fifa and it really did remind me of seasons where united ground out 1-0s on the way to a title. People only remember SAF swash buckling football but many a season United just knew how to get the job done. In 1995/96 in United’s last 16 league games we didn’t score more then one goal in 9 of those games! Some people thought it was luck, it wasn’t, it was knowing what needed to be done to win the league...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Got to love a good summer clear out of deadweight.

I never like to see players going on frees though.
    Even Origi in the summer....I think everyone have wiswd up to joining on frees now so we might have to take a lower fee than expected for him as he can negotiate with anyone overseas this time next year.
    Markovic at one stage we spent time trying to recoup 16m on but that was never happening. The wages he was on killed him leaving as much as his abject performances did.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Turtyturd wrote: »
    REFUSED to play him, except for those games he played him in.

Think people were at the stage where they would have taken Traore at full back over Moreno as he kept playing him & not Milner at left back. Looking back at the stats Moreno got a 2 month injury layoff when he lost his first team spot. Thank f**k for that.
    Think people forget that. I did until just now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Great that Robertson is signed on for another few years. He clearly looks happy here too, and really gets the club.

I still remember that game against Palace that he started at Anfield at the start of last season - we won 1-0 and Robertson got MOTM. He was whipping ball after ball and cross after cross into the box - some very dangerous ones too. But after the game Klopp said he wasn't happy with his performance at all and we all thought wtf is he thinking cos Robertson was great. Turns out Klopp was not happy with what Robertson was doing with the ball, crossing when there was a better pass somewhere else, or not releasing the ball when he should etc. Basically saying he was crossing too much which was ceding possession as there may not have been forwards in good positions to get on the end of the crosses.

He only played 1 time in the next 12 league games, only making the bench twice. He started 20 of the next 24 games after that and the 4 games he missed were either for resting due to CL games or that mad 2 day turnaround Burnley game.

Robertson clearly listened cos look at him now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

A problem position for so long and we managed to finally fill it with a cracking player. Dirk Kuyt like energy, defensively reliable like Finan was, deadly left foot. He's only 24 too, so much more to come from him, British based too so not a player we have to worry about leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Outside of the midfield players,Matip & Shaqiri we have little options to rotate.

Rest of the squad is not good enough. Will need a few signings in the summer. Wilson & Grujic could become squad memebers next season . Maybe Brewster as well.

Big Robbo interview on Reddit, loved this bit.

They’ve sang my song a few times and it is nice to hear it. It can give you a lift in the game. A lot more of the lads are getting songs now and they’re all getting appreciated. It was one of the big things for Virgil, I think – to get a song. He is delighted, I heard him singing it in the changing room a couple of days ago – he loves it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Big Robbo interview on Reddit, loved this bit.

They’ve sang my song a few times and it is nice to hear it. It can give you a lift in the game. A lot more of the lads are getting songs now and they’re all getting appreciated. It was one of the big things for Virgil, I think – to get a song. He is delighted, I heard him singing it in the changing room a couple of days ago – he loves it!

Can just imagine him walking in singing "I'm Virgil van dijk, I'm Virgil van dijk"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Apparently we're eyeing up Weston McKennie from Schalke.

Haven't heard anything about him

Vicxas wrote: »
    Apparently we're eyeing up Weston McKennie from Schalke.

Haven't heard anything about him

Story originates from the rag

Luka Jovic of Frankfurt is also being linked as a target in the summer.

17 in 23 games with 4 assists this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Story originates from the rag

Seen it on Twitter, but didnt see the source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Robbo is the new Millie,10 years aahead of him at lfc,superb.

Luka Jovic of Frankfurt is also being linked as a target in the summer.

17 in 23 games with 4 assists this season.

Remember seeing a post on reddit a few weeks back from a Bundesliga fan who said that Jovic would suit Liverpool far more than Werner.

I haven't see much of him at all, however, so can't really comment.

There was another name the poster mentioned at the time as well, but I unfortunately can't remember it at the moment.

Trent may be fit for tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Trent may be fit for tomorrow

How has the prognosis gone from 4-weeks out to maybe fit tomorrow? :confused:

Hopefully Ox can get his 5 games in for his medal.
    Klopp on Brewster/Ox: "He's outside running & is in a good way. But we don't have to think about him before pre-season. Alex is closer, last time I put a bit of pressure on the medical department. He looks without any problems, no swelling. I think you'll see him this season."

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/1086258533027459072

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

SILEYmt.jpg

TcfFhRr.jpg

We have 16 games to go in the Premier League, that's not a whole lot.

I thought I'd map them out to visualise by splitting fixtures by:

Home/Away
    Top 6 teams/Rest of the league

And then took the fixtures remaining for both us and City for a side-by-side comparison of each.

Findings:

Of top 6 games remaining, both us and City have 3 identical fixtures (Spurs & Chelsea home, United away), and City have a 4th fixture v Arsenal at home.

Of home games remaining against non-Top 6 teams, which should be the bread-and-butter games for both sides, it's a striking difference with us having 7 games (possible 21pts) and City only having 4 games (possible 12pts)

So just taking home games remaining, if both us and City win all remaining home games against non-top 6 opposition that leaves an extra 13pts (9pts from those games + 4pt lead we already have) that City will have to make up by winning their extra 2 away games and the home game v Arsenal, and then by hoping we drop points in our top 6 and away games that they also have.

Obviously these are all played out of order but I thought each of these 4 blocks of fixture types in interesting in comparison to City and really hammers home that we should be winning every remaining game at Anfield against the rest of the league outside the top 6 at a minimum, and if we do that we're already in a strong place, and it starts with Crystal Palace tomorrow and Leicester next week

Hopefully Ox can get his 5 games in for his medal.

I mean this in the nicest way but, less of that please

dont-say-that.gif?w=590

x43r0 wrote: »
    I mean this in the nicest way but, less of that please

dont-say-that.gif?w=590

You get a medal for 2nd as well though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Apparently had a £61m bid turned down for Joao Felix from Benfica. Dont know the original source so pinch of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Apparently had a £61m bid turned down for Joao Felix from Benfica. Dont know the original source so pinch of salt.

We're at the point of bidding 60m+ for players I've never even heard of now... Either I'm getting old, the games gone... Or both.

You can watch our next transfer at 9 PM on Freesports (freesat 252 and Sky 400 and something)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

A truckload of salt I'd say. Standard made up type story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We wouldn't pay the money for pulusic because his end product was too low this fella is even lower and in a notoriously poor league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

rob316 wrote: »
    We wouldn't pay the money for pulusic because his end product was too low this fella is even lower and in a notoriously poor league

2 words. Markovic. Benfica.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

5starpool wrote: »
    A truckload of salt I'd say. Standard made up type story.

My brief youtube scouting would make it look a weird one alright. Looks like the young Sporting version of Ronaldo in ways, very skillful, spends half the game on the ground. Looks very frustrating to be honest, and most of the bits where he skins someone look like poor defending as much as good attacking play, stuff that you wouldn't get away with in the PL. Talented, clearly, but that's a lot of money.
    In conclusion, nah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I've no idea where people get the idea that they can accurately call the potential outcome of Liverpool signings these days.

Was on the Wikipedia page for the new movie "Glass" coming out and noticed an odd casting choice

Which one of you was it?

470783.png

heh! Speaking of whom with West Ham about to lose a forward I'd hope Mike Edwards is ready to make the Hammers an offer they can't refuse.

heh! Speaking of whom with West Ham about to lose a forward I'd hope Mike Edwards is ready to make the Hammers an offer they can't refuse.

If anyone could sell Sturridge and Origi in a 2 for the price of 3 deal while getting Rice thrown in as a thank you its Edwards.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement