Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

magma69 wrote: »
    Shearer was spot on. Theres some delicate flowers in here that can't handle that we have player that would drive. Shock horror! A player diving. We are Liverpool. We don't do that! Bit pathetic like.

Literally nobody has said it wasn't a dive :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Literally nobody has said it wasn't a dive :confused:

But a load of whatabboutery and pathetic victim mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Salah diving, Robbo's hand of god, were starting to look like winners
    still fancy City unless Huddersfield can do us a favour today
    thought AB was poor today but I'm not a goalie

City away from to Huddersfield should be a handy away win.

They are away to Newcastle Tuesday week. A favour please Rafa! We are at home to Leicester the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

But a load of whatabboutery and pathetic victim mentality.

Who exactly is playing the victim? A few posters suggested that forgein players (not specifically Liverpool players) get a much tougher time from pundits in general than their English counterparts. I think it’s a fair observation. And it’s not just with diving but with bad tackles (e.g Delle Ali is consistently “not that type of player”).

You seem to want to push some sort of agenda though so keep on trucking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Charlie19 wrote: »
    We all probably seen the McAteer and Owen little battle in the International Charity 5 a side tournament but Jason later points out that thing with with The English golden boy treatment and he's dead right.

[

Mcateer was being a tit there and got himself sent off. The 2 of them were getting yellows or a talking ro till he kicked owen while the ref was talking them.that type of idiocy will upgrade a card all day long.

McAteer should stick to trying to open his locked car with a wooden coat hanger...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Shearer was spot on. Theres some delicate flowers in here that can't handle that we have player that would drive. Shock horror! A player diving. We are Liverpool. We don't do that! ðŸ™. Bit pathetic like.

Could not give 2 shi*ts if he dives 50 times a game as long as we win the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Salah diving, Robbo's hand of god, were starting to look like winners
    still fancy City unless Huddersfield can do us a favour today
    thought AB was poor today but I'm not a goalie

Huddersfield are going to get trounced today. It won't be that match that has any bearing on who wins the league. Only thing that will happen later on is City's goal difference will be even better at the final whistle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    McAteer should stick to trying to open his locked car with a wooden coat hanger...

Or yelling "180" at Jimmy White in a nightclub... not the sharpest tool in the shed, our Trigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

This Salah diving chat is annoying me.

Every penalty he's won lately has been a penalty. Yesterday he dived. Ish. He got kicked, it didn't cause him to fall over, he felt it and went down with a ludicrous late reaction. He deserves stick, but it's OTT.

The obsession with diving is obscene. Other cheating like bad tackles are still seen by many as ok in some circumstances. 'Manly'. Time wasting another - described as 'game management'.

Selective outrage.

And the outrage is almost never towards anyone English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Charlie19 wrote: »
    That's the British press pro-UK player again. Seen it with Bale/Suarez before. Harry Kane is the golden boy of English football right now - just as it was Lineker and Beckham before him - and the first rule of being a pundit on any British TV show is thou shalt not criticise the golden boy.

That said, it did look like a dive to me. Unlike the other incidents.

Also - the Beeb did mention the Palace handball for a good three seconds.

We all probably seen the McAteer and Owen little battle in the International Charity 5 a side tournament but Jason later points out that thing with with The English golden boy treatment and he's dead right.

McAteer has form for starting fights in friendly games, I still laugh when I remember Stephen Cluxton switching off his lights in a similar incident. He's just a blowhard gob****e and Owen was right to hack him down for getting thick beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,666 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

MarkY91 wrote: »
    But bale is also British....????

Wales is part of Britain, yes.

----

The problem with the diving thing in general though, is that the FA mght decide to slap a retrospective two-game ban on him. And we could do without that at this stage of the season. And it won't be Shearer's fault if they do.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I'll say this again, arsenal had 3 players booked for diving in one game recently,and it got less coverage. It's only news coz we are top. There is dives in every game in premier league.

Players go down roaring from pain and are fine 30 seconds later, might not get the free without the roar, falling over when touched is the very same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Watching MoTD and it scared me how bad our defence was yesterday, I know Palace scalped City and Utd but still reminded me of our defence of old.

Luckily we would have lost these games a few seasons ago so thats one positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Vicxas wrote: »
    Watching MoTD and it scared me how bad our defence was yesterday, I know Palace scalped City and Utd but still reminded me of our defence of old.

Once is forgivable.

If it happens for a few games, it will be an issue.

Also, don't forget that as good as Milner is, he's not a RB. And Matip is just back. And we had no Gini. That's a lot of pieces out of kilter. Every significant attack of Palace's came down Milner's side.

It'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I know people will say iv an agenda but once again Keita was very very poor.,
    He seems to have zero confidence he needs to show same attotude of Fab now and get his together and put in some displays so he cant be dropped ,
    With OX back in a few months he needs to nail down a starting spot or he mite not makenit here ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

There was quite a bit of holding going on in our penalty box, VVD was held on at least two occasions that I could see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

People might say we were fortunate to come away with 3 points from yesterday, but our xG of 2.5 was nearly 2 goals more than Palace's 0.6. So going by overall play we deserved to win the game by 2 goals. Am happy for media to believe we scraped home though, keeps expectations in check for all concerned.

Of those decrying the xG stat, yes it's true that football is all about the unexpected, and we've had a few tales of the unexpected this season including yesterday. But for those who didn't catch a game or only saw highlights, it gives an indication of the overall threat of a team's performance throughout the 90 mins and can be useful for guaging how efficient a team's strikers have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

I was terrified every time Palace attacked, especially with Zaha. That's the first time I've felt that this season and like you it reminded me of the Liverpool team of recent seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

mrsoundie wrote: »
    There was quite a bit of holding going on in our penalty box, VVD was held on at least two occasions that I could see.

Absolutely - Palace's game plan was impressive. Ayew was slyly holding on to VVD for all their corners - keep Virg busy off the ball and you've a great chance of scoring. Zaha the worst type of player for any midfielder playing right-back to go up against, so Milner was on a hiding to nothing. Palace are a good counter-attacking team so they do well against the bigger teams who open up and try to play.

Plenty of nonsense talk of 'luck' and 'wobbling' and all the rest of it from the neutrals. What's lucky about plenty of defensive injuries and not being awarded a stonewall handball penalty? Also, if a wobble is going 1-0 down and losing a 2-1 lead before getting all 3 points (ie. showing the balls and fortitude to overcome not one but two setbacks), then it's not too bad at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Currently on course for 99 points this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

SlickRic wrote: »
    Also, i hate Palace. They're fúcking awkward. Giants at the back, while quick and direct on the break. Perfect against good teams who can over-commit in attack on occasion.

As I say, delighted.

Leaders all over the place. Salah, Firmino, Henderson and most of all, Andy Andy Andy Robertson. Best LB I've seen at the club. There, I said it.

The type of player Vegard Heggem might have been if his knees didn't fall apart!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Wheety wrote: »
    I don't like this 'expected goals' business that pops up everywhere now. It means absolutely nothing to me. Football doesn't go as expected, that's what makes it so much fun.

Not necessarily you, but I find a lot of the people who decry xG will bang on about attempts and attempts on target as if these are 'good stats'. This is despite the many flaws - hitting the crossbar 6 times all goes into the 'off-target' column whilst dribbling a weak one at the keeper from 30 metres is 'on-target'.

xG is as attempt to actually translate those figures into the quality of chances created. That seems to have merit to me.

I often think the tv pundits are against it because they can't grasp fractions/decimals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Absolutely - Palace's game plan was impressive. Ayew was slyly holding on to VVD for all their corners - keep Virg busy off the ball and you've a great chance of scoring. Zaha the worst type of player for any midfielder playing right-back to go up against, so Milner was on a hiding to nothing. Palace are a good counter-attacking team so they do well against the bigger teams who open up and try to play.

Plenty of nonsense talk of 'luck' and 'wobbling' and all the rest of it from the neutrals. What's lucky about plenty of defensive injuries and not being awarded a stonewall handball penalty? Also, if a wobble is going 1-0 down and losing a 2-1 lead before getting all 3 points (ie. showing the balls and fortitude to overcome not one but two setbacks), then it's not too bad at all!

Agreed, 1st and 2nd choice rb injured, first and 2nd choice rch injured, that is nowhere near our best defensive line up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

This looks like it’s going to be a very exciting run in for you guys. Squeaky bum 4 months ahead!

Suppose you can look at the palace game in a positive or negative but I think overall it’s 3 points which is all that matters.

Conceding lots of goals is a big worry for obvious reasons. But the manner in which pool Upped it at HT and even pushed on when a man down trumps all other ills.

Losing Milner was a blow (just for a game luckily) cause I think players like him are priceless and terribly under rated. He has experience and the mentality to cope with the title challange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    Huddersfield are going to get trounced today. It won't be that match that has any bearing on who wins the league. Only thing that will happen later on is City's goal difference will be even better at the final whistle

We were always going to need to win it on points. City's GD, I think, is going to be much better than ours by the end of the season.

As you say, they beat City. They're very well drilled to break quickly. Perfect set up against us and City. However, where City lost, we picked up the 3 points.
    Not necessarily you, but I find a lot of the people who decry xG will bang on about attempts and attempts on target as if these are 'good stats'. This is despite the many flaws - hitting the crossbar 6 times all goes into the 'off-target' column whilst dribbling a weak one at the keeper from 30 metres is 'on-target'.

xG is as attempt to actually translate those figures into the quality of chances created. That seems to have merit to me.

I often think the tv pundits are against it because they can't grasp fractions/decimals.

I just gloss over it when I see someone talking about expected goals. Just adding stats to the phrase, "We should have won that one". The only thing that matters is actual goals. I wouldn't take much comfort if we had XG of 5 and the opposition had 0.3 but we lost 0-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Not arsed what City do today or any other day. League is our hands, keep winning our games and it'll stay that way. I'll be interested if a time comes when its not in our hands but hopefully it doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

superg wrote: »
    Not arsed what City do today or any other day. League is our hands, keep winning our games and it'll stay that way. I'll be interested if a time comes when its not in our hands but hopefully it doesn't.

Thats it....we have to take our points and let the others worry about themselves. Its in our hands and will only be lost if we **** up. Dont need help from anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Win 14 of the next 15 and it matters not a jot what city do to Huddersfield today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.donbalon.com%2Fnoticia%2Fdetalle%2F132975%2Fflorentino-perez-puede-fichar-entrenador-mas-caro-mundo-no-es-mourinho

Florentino Perez is following in the footsteps of Jürgen Klopp , and although the German coach has been quite emphatic in the fact that he has a contract with Liverpool and has other priorities should the opportunity arise, such as the direction of the German national team. , the president of Real Madrid perceives that there are real possibilities to sign him and he is willing to make him the best paid coach in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Win 14 of the next 15 and it matters not a jot what city do to Huddersfield today.

Simples :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.donbalon.com%2Fnoticia%2Fdetalle%2F132975%2Fflorentino-perez-puede-fichar-entrenador-mas-caro-mundo-no-es-mourinho

Florentino Perez is following in the footsteps of Jürgen Klopp , and although the German coach has been quite emphatic in the fact that he has a contract with Liverpool and has other priorities should the opportunity arise, such as the direction of the German national team. , the president of Real Madrid perceives that there are real possibilities to sign him and he is willing to make him the best paid coach in the world.

He tried the same when Klopp was at Dortmund and made the same promises....where is Klopp today??

I don't see Liverpool or City winning all the games, I expect we'll see a draw here and there and maybe two losses, I expect City will have similar outcomes in games.

https://twitter.com/utdxtra/status/1086723350389575681

When Jurgen is in the club and wins absolutely nothing for three and a half years, still has the trust, confidence to keep going.”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I don't see Liverpool or City winning all the games.

We dont have to, 14 will do.

Milner was up against Zaha yesterday, who caused problems against any defender in the league. Milner was caught for the first, but I still think Matip could have caught Zaha offside. Plus Milner got the better of Zaha on plenty of occasions going foward, including setting up Salah's second.
    We are in a fantastic position. Plenty of time between games. Players due back from injury. Fatigue should not be an issue. We are in with a very good shout of getting there.
    The saltiness of posts in the humour thread, prem lge thread and others are a joy to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well The Brain has officially left the club today after an agreement has been reached.

Pep is now expected to be officially named as assistant manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,666 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well The Brain has officially left the club today after an agreement has been reached.

Pep is now expected to be officially named as assistant manager.

Could you be a little more vague, please? I hare it when every piece of information is given to me on a plate with no chance of wonder whatsoever.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Klopp's second in command who left under a cloud last year.

The second line is tabloid reporting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

I think there's as much chance of Klopp ending up at Cardiff as there is at Madrid. Klopp thinks carefully about the club he wants to join, for lots of reasons and, given the type of guy he is, Madrid would hold little or no attraction for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Before yesterday when was the last time we conceded 3 goals in a league game ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

mosstin wrote: »
    I think there's as much chance of Klopp ending up at Cardiff as there is at Madrid. Klopp thinks carefully about the club he wants to join, for lots of reasons and, given the type of guy he is, Madrid would hold little or no attraction for him.

That’s not how you’re supposed to react.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

ricero wrote: »
    Before yesterday when was the last time we conceded 3 goals in a league game ?

City last season at Anfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Someone mentioned it earlier but I actually more scared every time Palace attacked which I haven't felt since pre - VVD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

tinpib wrote: »
    I was terrified every time Palace attacked, especially with Zaha. That's the first time I've felt that this season and like you it reminded me of the Liverpool team of recent seasons.

The difference is that the team didn't collapse and won the game. This is a major positive.

Teams are not going to steamroll every game and win 3 or 4 nil all the time.

Palace are a decent side who beat City away.
    Zaha is a class player and give Milner a tough time but he's not a right back.

Big win yesterday with a makeshift back 4. When players come back from injury I'd expect the defence to be back to it's tight and controlled safe.

Imagine how demoralising this result is for City who must have thought we were going to drop points only to have their hopes smashed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Not sure if mentioned, but apparently Milner was sent off by his former primary school P.E. teacher Jon Moss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Watching Grujic playing Hertha I think he could really add something to the squad next season.

Himself and Ox back into the squad next season might save a few pounds on buying a couple of midfielders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

4 points ahead and four goals behind on goal difference. Hard not to see this going to the last game of the season, hopefully it will be in our own hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

https://twitter.com/utdxtra/status/1086723350389575681

When Jurgen is in the club and wins absolutely nothing for three and a half years, still has the trust, confidence to keep going.”

Maybe if he tried going to to a club that's not got shed loads of cash more than anyone else he would get his time to implement his philosophy.

Join everton jose

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement