Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Dickerty wrote: »
    I think you are way off there. He has blown up the Championship, probably the best attacker in that league when fit (remember he has missed 8 games with injury), scoring 12 in 26. That's superb for a non-striker. And they are not tap-ins, some are Coutinho-esque. And he's home-grown, which we will need in the squad as we keep signing non-nationals.

He'd command at least £20M right now, but we won't sell him now...would be a great squad option as cover for Salah on the right in particular.

Honestly that kind of my worry that he is a good player with a fantastic left foot,

Do you get what I mean ,
    I'd prefer a fantastic player and a decent strike than a , Decent player with a fantastic strike ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Just to add more weight to what I mean about Wilson .

I don't think you'd have many Chelsea fans are thinking Abraham (who's top scorer ) will have along term future at Chelsea,

I just think there are level's , I can't se these guys making it long term at top 6 clubs,
    Chelsea and Liverpool operate very differently - giving youth a chance is not really a thing at Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Talisman wrote: »
    Chelsea and Liverpool operate very differently - giving youth a chance is not really a thing at Chelsea.

Plenty of posters on the Chelsea thread wanting him back the last few months.

Agreed - Maddison went to Leicester for £24M + £6M in addons and a 10% sell-on clause.

Wilson is already in the same ball park as Maddison in terms of his goals contribution in the Championship but he has achieved it in half the number of games. I don't think he'll be sold without getting an opportunity in the first team squad.

The likes of Che Adam, Jarrad Bowens , Neal, Maupay ,Abraham , have all scored more goals in less game time and I wouldn't want us singing any of them ,There is more to but them four are the same age as Wilson .,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

3rd best points tally in the HISTORY of the league at this stage ,only city and Chelsea have bettered it. Incredible standard we would have each given a baby toe for before this season. It's been so long since we have been this good,this consistent,we don't know how to play it..

Diving,not up to standard, hiding in games,all he does is point,brutal defender, ..

All the above got us here, sure we could improve, but it would take a Messi level player to get us the points we have dropped this season, I think we are doing amazing.. considering we even changed tactics at the start of the season.

I just wish city would have a 3 or 4 game blip so I could relax.. I mean,this tally of points,and to think two draws and we could be behind in the league ..

Ffs .. it's riddiculas.

3rd best points tally in the HISTORY of the league at this stage ,only city and Chelsea have bettered it. Incredible standard we would have each given a baby toe for before this season. It's been so long since we have been this good,this consistent,we don't know how to play it..

Diving,not up to standard, hiding in games,all he does is point,brutal defender, ..

All the above got us here, sure we could improve, but it would take a Messi level player to get us the points we have dropped this season, I think we are doing amazing.. considering we even changed tactics at the start of the season.

I just wish city would have a 3 or 4 game blip so I could relax.. I mean,this tally of points,and to think two draws and we could be behind in the league ..

Ffs .. it's riddiculas.

Two draws only drops us back four points so we'd still be top by two.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Plenty of posters on the Chelsea thread wanting him back the last few months.
    What they want and how the club operates are two very different things.

What they want and how the club operates are two very different things.

The original point was that not to many Chelsea fans want him back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Assuming City win we would go into second place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

We're only 4 points ahead mate ;)

Assuming City win we would go into second place

Correct. I can not add this morning :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Ffs .. it's riddiculas.

City had their 3 or 4 game blip, it's what has us 4 points clear at the top of the league.

Now it's really a question of who blinks first.

The likes of Che Adam, Jarrad Bowens , Neal, Maupay ,Abraham , have all scored more goals in less game time and I wouldn't want us singing any of them ,There is more to but them four are the same age as Wilson .,
    Tammy Abraham : 22 appearances, 17 goals
    A centre forward.

Neal Maupay : 28 appearances, 16 goals
    Another centre forward.

Che Adams : 28 appearances, 14 goals
    Another centre forward and his middle name is Everton - we won't be signing him. :)

Jarrod Bowen : 28 appearances, 14 goals
    A winger who has hit a purple patch - 10 goals in his last 9 games. 4 goals in the preceding 19 games paints a different picture.

As far as I'm aware nobody in their right mind has suggested we should sign any of those players. They've all scored more goals and almost all have played more games or a different position than Wilson.

Harry Wilson : 22 appearances : 10 goals
    A winger who is already a Liverpool player - there's nothing to lose trying to develop him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

You could say our blip is playing sh1t in 70% of games and still winning.

Remember all the wait till we find out feet and get up and running well you could say that still has to happen.

The original point was that not to many Chelsea fans want him back.
    You should have quoted the individual that made the original point - you just confused me by posting your response to me. :)

• Advertisement

You should have quoted the individual that made the original point - you just confused me by posting your response to me. :)

I thought I was quoting both but only yours showed up.

You could say our blip is playing sh1t in 70% of games and still winning.

Remember all the wait till we find out feet and get up and running well you could say that still has to happen.
    We're still waiting for Keita to emerge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

BBC606 from Saturday saying Salah is worse than Neymar for diving lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Honestly that kind of my worry that he is a good player with a fantastic left foot,

Do you get what I mean ,
    I'd prefer a fantastic player and a decent strike than a , Decent player with a fantastic strike ,

If that's your worry buddy you've got an easy life!! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Looks like he could play tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Mental Ox being back this soon.

What a player to have back though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Surprised not to see this mentioned on a relatively quiet Monday - former Liverpool right-back Glen Johnson has announced his retirement.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46946870

Played 200 times for us over 6 seasons. I remember him starting very brightly but he was quite inconsistent throughout his career here.

Tammy Abraham : 22 appearances, 17 goals
    A centre forward.

Neal Maupay : 28 appearances, 16 goals
    Another centre forward.

Che Adams : 28 appearances, 14 goals
    Another centre forward and his middle name is Everton - we won't be signing him. :)

Jarrod Bowen : 28 appearances, 14 goals
    A winger who has hit a purple patch - 10 goals in his last 9 games. 4 goals in the preceding 19 games paints a different picture.

As far as I'm aware nobody in their right mind has suggested we should sign any of those players. They've all scored more goals and almost all have played more games or a different position than Wilson.

Harry Wilson : 22 appearances : 10 goals
    A winger who is already a Liverpool player - there's nothing to lose trying to develop him.

Harry Wilson has had more game TIME than any of the others ,
    Again not knocking him and think we will get a great fee for him but can't see him staying ,

I'd prefer we bring in Werner ,The Wilson transfer fee would pay Werner's wage over 5 years ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Again not knocking him and think we will get a great fee for him but can't see him staying ,

I'd prefer we bring in Werner ,The Wilson transfer fee would pay Werner's wage over 5 years ,

We don't need to sell to buy these days and if we did we have 20 mill from the Solanke sale.

Wilson would be a great squad player who would be needed this time of year if we got a run in the domestic cups.

Right now Wilson would be a better squad option to us than say Lallana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Surprised not to see this mentioned on a relatively quiet Monday - former Liverpool right-back Glen Johnson has announced his retirement.

Played 200 times for us over 6 seasons. I remember him starting very brightly but he was quite inconsistent throughout his career here.

That could be the legacy carved on the headstone on most of Liverpool's wide men over the last 20 years. As with most players I lost touch with his fortunes not long after he left for whoever it was (Stoke)

Just on Wilson, Lampard is now playing him centrally he's now effectively an 8plus/10 which should hold him in good stead with regard to linking up play and creating chances for the forwards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Was great going forward but a bit suspect at the back. Overall was a good player for us, but that was a lot of money to pay for a right-back at the time. Have a feeling he would've thrived more in this Klopp team that really gives the full-backs liscence to drive forward rather than a slightly more sensible Rafa.

I'll always be thankful to him for taking a photo of myself and Dirk Kuyt when I found a bunch of Liverpool players hanging out in Madrid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Just on Wilson, Lampard is now playing him centrally he's now effectively an 8plus/10 which should hold him in good stead with regard to linking up play and creating chances for the forwards

The 'Lampard' position then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Morzadec wrote: »
    Was great going forward but a bit suspect at the back. Overall was a good player for us, but that was a lot of money to pay for a right-back at the time. Have a feeling he would've thrived more in this Klopp team that really gives the full-backs liscence to drive forward rather than a slightly more sensible Rafa.

I'll always be thankful to him for taking a photo of myself and Dirk Kuyt when I found a bunch of Liverpool players hanging out in Madrid!

It must be disheartening when a fan asks you to take a picture of him with one of your teammates :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Morzadec wrote: »

Rafa struggled to get wingers in the previous years, all sorts of players brought in and out. I think having a really attacking full back was his next attempt to get width in the team but by the time Johnson was bought the team had already peaked and with H & G in charge it wasn't going to turn back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Mental Ox being back this soon.

What a player to have back though.

Keita's missed his chance to grab that advanced central MF position this season.

Am still holding out hope he settles in eventually but he'll find it more difficult to start games with a raging Ox back in the herd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Pep officially named assistant manager today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

In my opinion Harry Wilson is a good player but will end up as a starter for a midtable Prem side and not us,
    That's not a knock on him he is a good player, but I think we are hitting the stage where our squad will be full of great players and wonder kids ,

I imagine we will probably get north of 10 million for him in the summer which will pay the wages for the next big money singing ,

Well North of 10 million if we fan get 19 for Solanke.

I think he has a future at the club. If we signed him from a foreign club for 20 million we'd all be excited at this new, young prospect.

Same goes for Grujic imo. Can see them both competing next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

BBC606 from Saturday saying Salah is worse than Neymar for diving lol

they can all fúck off.

as others have said, he was criticised last season for being kicked, grabbed and stepped on and not going down. someone has obviously had a word and told him to stop doing that because he's not benefiting from being fouled. and now he's being pilloried for going down when fouled.

he got kicked on Saturday. it's just the reaction was farcically late. that should've just been the end of it. but such is the English media's incredible obsession with diving, specifically by foreigners, that it's now become something verging on a vendetta against Mo. it's gas really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Worth remembering that we went out in first round of League Cup and FA Cup this year. We do have a good and deep squad but if we want to have a crack at making a run in those trophies as well as challenging for the ones that really matter, players like Wilson could be useful.

I think Harry Wilson could have a part to play if he's happy to play and prove himself mostly in these cups. There's also a motivating factor that the role is up for grabs in some respects - as has been said Keita has failed to make it his own, Ox is coming back from a big injury, Shaquiri is more of a 10 or winger in a 4-2-3-1, Lallana is not good enough.

I'm not sure if Lallana might be moved on in the summer or how many years he has left on his contract - he might consider himself a bit too high profile to be playing such a bit part and he may indeed be on quite a high salary for how much he's been involved lately.

Wilson seems like he could be a direct replacement there is Lallana is moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

I'd be shocked to see Ox getting a run before the season ends. It just doesn't usually happen. ACL and other ligament damage, players rarely if ever return to full fitness (More importantly mental fitness) within the year. Many never fully recover their previous form in any way shape of form.

I'd be delighted if he got up to speed by the season ending ... but talk of him ready to return i think could be premature. These things take time ...

And you are wrong on that assertion also.

In terms of minutes played in the Championship this season:

Harry Wilson : 1730 minutes played
    Tammy Abraham : 1884 minutes played (154 minutes more : ~2 games)
    Che Adam : 2175 minutes played (445 minutes more : ~5 games)
    Neal Maupay : 2219 minutes played (489 minutes more : ~6 games)
    Jarrod Bowen : 2366 minutes played (636 minutes more : ~7 games)

I get that you don't think he's good enough to play a role at Liverpool but don't expect to be able to spout nonsense about the player and not get called out on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I get that you don't think he's good enough to play a role at Liverpool but don't expect to be able to spout nonsense about the player and not get called out on it.

You also have to factor in the fact he's not an out and out striker. Lampard was recently highlighting that it's his overall game that he's most impressed with, not his worldies or rate of scoring.

Sorry my bad I made a mistake there gotta hold my hands up on that one,
    I was looking at the minutes per goals, Which the other are all less .,

I just don't think he will make it here but still be good for a noon top six Prem team ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Any word on Fabinho yet?
    Is he injured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Bit a step down from City, but I'm sure he can put out the cones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Wilson has what many young players lack.

He is so efficient in the final third. His goal+assists are superb are superb since doesn't play often as a forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I think Wilson has a good chance of making it. Why not? If he starts training with the first team and getting a few minutes here and there. It's crazy to write him off when he's in such good form, albeit in the Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Could you make that a bit clearer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

MD1990 wrote: »

He is so efficient in the final third. His goal+assists are superb are superb since doesn't play often as a forward.

If the likes of Wilson is not given a chance to play for the first team it hinders the recruitment of young players going forward, at the moment young stars want to join Liverpool because youth players are getting a chance to play for the first team, that is lacking with many other big clubs

MD1990 wrote: »

I watched him quite a bit and often he is very poor,

I thought his passing was awful at times so I checked out his stat's , I was surprised that they are pretty good at 76.5% but that is still lower than any of our attacking players, although just a tiny but worse than Mane who is our worst attacker at passing ,

One thing is Wilson 0.4 dribbles per game at championship level , That is very low for instance Gini is 0.8 in the Prem and he's a holding midfielder lately even Milner is 0.5

It kind of leads me to what I thought while watching him play his strong point is his striking of shots ,Great striker of a ball but average / good footballer ,

• Advertisement

Wheety wrote: »
    I think Wilson has a good chance of making it. Why not? If he starts training with the first team and getting a few minutes here and there. It's crazy to write him off when he's in such good form, albeit in the Championship.

Who was the last young player to go on loan and then make it at Liverpool?

Look at all our recent young players who came through Trent, Gomes ( I know we bought him after he'd already played senor games), Sterling , Owen ,Fowler, Gerrard , Carragher none ever went on loan .
    Unless I'm forgetting someone ?

But there are some who loan's helped in the Prem like Kane and Lingard but it hasn't really happened at Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I'd be shocked to see Ox getting a run before the season ends. It just doesn't usually happen. ACL and other ligament damage, players rarely if ever return to full fitness (More importantly mental fitness) within the year. Many never fully recover their previous form in any way shape of form.

I'd be delighted if he got up to speed by the season ending ... but talk of him ready to return i think could be premature. These things take time ...

Who has had a similar injury before and not returned the same player out of curiosity? I’d be fairly optimistic Ox will come back as strong as he was. You’d forget we still have him, he’d have been some addition this season.

Wilson replaces lallana for me. Younger, cheaper and I would argue similar standard with Wilson obviously a higher ceiling. A poster a few pages back mentioned we are above his level now, and should have a squad of great players. Although that is fair to a point, United have won titles with the likes of O’Shea, Phil Neville, Gibson & Sung playing big roles so I don’t think we are above having young hungry talented players like Wilson in the squad, at least for 1 season to see how much game time he gets.

What’s the chances of Neves leaving Wolves for a bigger team this summer? He’d be great in our midfield with his passing ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Rangers want Lalanaanalanana, he's another that will leave in summer for 15m plus. We have at least 100m of deadwood to move on in summer. If we can move this lot and sign 3 actual capable players we'd only be stronger for it

Lallana 15m
    Moreno 20m
    Henderson 25m
    Lovern 20m
    Sturridge 10m
    Mignolet 10m

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Rangers want Lalanaanalanana, he's another that will leave in summer for 15m plus. We have at least 100m of deadwood to move on in summer. If we can move this lot and sign 3 actual capable players we'd only be stronger for it

Lallana 15m
    Moreno 20m
    Henderson 25m
    Lovern 20m
    Sturridge 10m
    Mignolet 10m

If you can get 30 million for players out of contract then well done to you :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Who was the last young player to go on loan and then make it at Liverpool?

Look at all our recent young players who came through Trent, Gomes ( I know we bought him after he'd already played senor games), Sterling , Owen ,Fowler, Gerrard , Carragher none ever went on loan .
    Unless I'm forgetting someone ?

But there are some who loan's helped in the Prem like Kane and Lingard but it hasn't really happened at Liverpool

The past isn't always a strong indicator of a future possibility. The game has changed so much since fowler, Owen etc.
    I would think Kane would show that players can go on loan and come back.
    Not necessarily backing Wilson in any way though. Nor am I doubting him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement