Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

Serious deadwood clearout.

The ghost of Brendan Rodgers finally being banished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Wanna bissaka is not gonna come here as a second choice right back.... unfortunately i can see the likes of United going and getting him in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I'd love to see use finally sign Fekir (Won't Happen) as the 10 and then try for Werner as the striker and Wan-Bissaka as the right back.

I'd take Heaton as the back up keeper and Sessegnon as the back up Left Back/Utility Winger one for the future.
    It's highly unlikely that Klopp will want to sign the likes of Wan-Bissaka and Sessegnon as full backs when Robertson and TAA are almost ever present in the starting lineup.

Klopp favours a small core group of players with the players on the fringes of the squad filling in when needed. With this in mind it's more likely that we will see youth players given the opportunity to fill in when needed as happened when Clyne was unavailable and both TAA and Gomez were given the opportunity in the fullback role.

Another possibility is that we get a utility defender that can do a job when called upon in more than one of the backline positions. In December 2017, Atletico were reported to have accepted an offer from Liverpool for Vrsaljko - he can play in either fullback position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Wanna bissaka is not gonna come here as a second choice right back.... unfortunately i can see the likes of United going and getting him in the summer.

Dalot is Uniteds RB from next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

TitianGerm wrote: »

Dalot is Uniteds RB from next season.

Dont think he will be anywhere near the same level as Bissaka, i think Trent will have a fight on his hands with Bissaka for England right back spot when ge moves to a top 6 club
    Aresenal good do with him now Bellerin is injured for a year

Dont think he will be anywhere near the same level as Bissaka, i think Trent will have a fight on his hands with Bissaka for England right back spot when ge moves to a top 6 club
    Aresenal good do with him now Bellerin is injured for a year

Trent will end up moving into midfield, I don't see him stay at RB for his career. His passing is excellent and it's kinda wasted back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Raisins wrote: »
    He’s earning about £2m a season but only because we gave him a contract and now we don’t want to use him. It’s not coming out of your pocket or being paid for by the taxpayer. It’s hardly sickening.

Sickening that a lad can earn nearly 10m from an odd loan deal and training with the u23s for a few years is what I meant. Just shows how pear shaped these transfers and contracts can go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Trent will end up moving into midfield, I don't see him stay at RB for his career. His passing is excellent and it's kinda wasted back there.

It's easy to take Trent for granted, and he's not perfect, but jaysus he makes some outrageous passes, pretty much every week.

His technique is astonishing.

He looked a bit exposed last season when he had to come in there against Chelsea, but I really don't see what he's lacking in particular from getting a go there.

It's a bit of a pity the way things have shaken out, in that we've had so few cup games, and we've an abundance of midfielders but seldom more than 1 proper RB.

I think Klopp can stand by his record of giving players a chance. Even when it didn't work out, Solanke was given an out without any fuss. I don't think it'd necessarily be that difficult to convince someone to come in like Bissaka if Klopp really identified him as someone he wanted.

Or perhaps more to the point, would it be any more difficult than the endless turmoil of Utd or Chelsea?

It'd be a bit different at LB, because Robertson is so good, so consistent and he's moving into his prime now.

The main thing with Bissaka would be his price, I'd say. You just can't go spending 60m on a RB. That's mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Talisman wrote: »
    It's highly unlikely that Klopp will want to sign the likes of Wan-Bissaka and Sessegnon as full backs when Robertson and TAA are almost ever present in the starting lineup.

Klopp favours a small core group of players with the players on the fringes of the squad filling in when needed. With this in mind it's more likely that we will see youth players given the opportunity to fill in when needed as happened when Clyne was unavailable and both TAA and Gomez were given the opportunity in the fullback role.

Another possibility is that we get a utility defender that can do a job when called upon in more than one of the backline positions. In December 2017, Atletico were reported to have accepted an offer from Liverpool for Vrsaljko - he can play in either fullback position.

For Wan Bissaka, a lot depends on how soon Klopp is looking to transition Trent into midfield. If it's over the next year or so as some of the older lads move on, then you could see a move for W-B happened. But if he sees that as being a 22, or 23 year old Trent role, then he'll hold off.

Wouldn't mind seeing us go for Sessegnon though, he'd primarily be a wing forward anyway, with just the bonus option of being an experienced fullback, which is the perfect backup option to Robertson, as any good dedicated right backs probably wont fancy sitting on the bench. Sessegnon could get plenty of game time between the two roles though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

https://twitter.com/MaddockMirror/status/1087839981480099841

Can't wait to get this guy back. Could be vital for title run-in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Is he in the champions league squad, I presume not, it has to be put in at the start or can you make changes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind seeing us go for Sessegnon though, he'd primarily be a wing forward anyway, with just the bonus option of being an experienced fullback, which is the perfect backup option to Robertson, as any good dedicated right backs probably wont fancy sitting on the bench. Sessegnon could get plenty of game time between the two roles though.
    Sessegnon has his head screwed on, he doesn't want the limelight or a big money move at this point in his career. Himself and his family have a plan for him to stay with Fulham and to continue to live at home with his parents until he's 21 (May 2021). His contract with Fulham runs to 2022 with an optional extension to 2023. He's happy and Fulham are happy.

Is he in the champions league squad, I presume not, it has to be put in at the start or can you make changes?

You can make changes for the knockout portion, hence why new signings are able to play (if they're not cup tied).

Gbear wrote: »
    It's easy to take Trent for granted, and he's not perfect, but jaysus he makes some outrageous passes, pretty much every week.

His technique is astonishing.

He looked a bit exposed last season when he had to come in there against Chelsea, but I really don't see what he's lacking in particular from getting a go there.

It's a bit of a pity the way things have shaken out, in that we've had so few cup games, and we've an abundance of midfielders but seldom more than 1 proper RB.

I think Klopp can stand by his record of giving players a chance. Even when it didn't work out, Solanke was given an out without any fuss. I don't think it'd necessarily be that difficult to convince someone to come in like Bissaka if Klopp really identified him as someone he wanted.

Or perhaps more to the point, would it be any more difficult than the endless turmoil of Utd or Chelsea?

It'd be a bit different at LB, because Robertson is so good, so consistent and he's moving into his prime now.

The main thing with Bissaka would be his price, I'd say. You just can't go spending 60m on a RB. That's mental.

Your probably looking at another year at least but most likely two before we see him in midfield.

Let him grow into the team first and get more confident in his own abilities and then move into the middle.

Sessegnon has his head screwed on, he doesn't want the limelight or a big money move at this point in his career. Himself and his family have a plan for him to stay with Fulham and to continue to live at home with his parents until he's 21 (May 2021). His contract with Fulham runs to 2022 with an optional extension to 2023. He's happy and Fulham are happy.

Fair play to him in fairness, it's probably the smart thing for him to do... just keep on developing in a supportive environment until he's into his 20's.

• Advertisement

You can make changes, that's how VVD played in CL last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Pearce is reporting Ox could be back for the second leg against Munich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Would be brilliant, his surging runs and early shots should add a whole new aspect the the attack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I couldn't see how he'd be ready to make a contribution in that game tbh!

Regarding the Leicester game. I'd be half minded to but Fabinho right back and risk Keita again. Partly me thinking /hoping Keita needs gametime and partly fear of playing a kid RB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Any word on Fabinho or his injury?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

mosstin wrote: »
    Any word on Fabinho or his injury?

Oh..

Well.. Yeah

noodler wrote: »
    I couldn't see how he'd be ready to make a contribution in that game tbh!

Regarding the Leicester game. I'd be half minded to but Fabinho right back and risk Keita again. Partly me thinking /hoping Keita needs gametime and partly fear of playing a kid RB.

At least Leicester don't have the same sorts of wide weapons that Crystal Palace had. Their speedsters are Vardy, and Grey. Vardy will be staying more central, or even drifting right, whilst it'll be Grey that tries to emulate what Zaha did.... but he's much more comfortable trying to cut back inside, rather than going around the outside, so that'll suit us at least. His starting position will be a fair bit deeper than Zaha's was at least too.

Tricky one for who to pick though.... I really prefer Fab being in midfield, he's just so instrumental to how we play with that intense constant pressure, but I don't know how much I trust Camacho at all...

As an aside, I wonder how Moreno would fair on the right... remember Glen Johnson being a significantly better defender on the left that his natural right? Would put Moreno on his strong foot as Grey tries to come inside too, like what happened with Arbeloa on the wrong side against Messi all those years ago. Not that I'm necessarily advocating for giving Moreno time, but with a lot of bad options maybe its one worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Jesus id play Camacho or the 16yr old kid at right back before id put Moreno there!

Wheres this playing Trent in midfield coming from? Did he play there when he came up through the ranks? I dont see it myself...I think RB suits him perfectly..
    As we know his positioning and letting people get in around him are probably his worst attributes. I think hed be lost in midfield with people making runs in behind him.
    At right back hes got the sideline and infield, simplifies everything. All his best attributes (pace, power, crossing, stamina) for me point to a top class full back in the making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Could gomez be back for the Leicester game?

Jesus id play Camacho or the 16yr old kid at right back before id put Moreno there!

Wheres this playing Trent in midfield coming from? Did he play there when he came up through the ranks? I dont see it myself...I think RB suits him perfectly..
    As we know his positioning and letting people get in around him are probably his worst attributes. I think hed be lost in midfield with people making runs in behind him.
    At right back hes got the sideline and infield, simplifies everything. All his best attributes (pace, power, crossing, stamina) for me point to a top class full back in the making.

yeah, his performances in midfield are what got him into the senior squad in the first place.

It's perfect for him for right now, but I'd be fairly confident in the fullness of time he'll be a CM. But I think it'll be in 2+ years, not any time soon.
    Could gomez be back for the Leicester game?

Doesn't sound like it. Physioroom has him as making the West Ham game at the earliest.

Fingers crossed Trent can make it back anyway, as Klopp said, he's a particularly quick healer.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

You can make changes for the knockout portion, hence why new signings are able to play (if they're not cup tied).

No more of players being cup-tied in European competitions from this season on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

yeah, his performances in midfield are what got him into the senior squad in the first place.

It's perfect for him for right now, but I'd be fairly confident in the fullness of time he'll be a CM. But I think it'll be in 2+ years, not any time soon.

Doesn't sound like it. Physioroom has him as making the West Ham game at the earliest.

Fingers crossed Trent can make it back anyway, as Klopp said, he's a particularly quick healer.
    No he played as a RB for the u23s.

He is probably the best attacking RB in the league. Not easy to find a RB so good on the ball as well as a good athlete. I think he will be a RB long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

'Mr Bayern Munich' or basically the lad that knows everything about them like Kovac being new manager / player transfer etc has said this this morning.

Liverpool have talked to Callum Hudson Odoi about a transfer.

https://twitter.com/cfbayern/status/1087991277529022464

Possibly our transfer as cover for the wings in the summer?

MD1990 wrote: »
    No he played as a RB for the u23s.

He is probably the best attacking RB in the league. Not easy to find a RB so good on the ball as well as a good athlete. I think he will be a RB long term.

I was thinking this the another day
    They way he plays seems to suit right back far better than midfield he loves to knock it ahead of himself and open up his legs and has great range of passing on his right foot, , Although there was another local lad who used to play a bit like that who didn't do to bad in the middle :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

CSWS101 wrote: »
    Sickening that a lad can earn nearly 10m from an odd loan deal and training with the u23s for a few years is what I meant. Just shows how pear shaped these transfers and contracts can go.

Don't understand this mentality at all.

We could easily avoid these situations by ditching the whole contract system and just employ players on full time contracts like any other employee and if they don't perform or are no longer required they can be given notice and let go. Perfect solution for the likes of Markovic and would allow the club to avoid wasting £10m.

The problem of course with such a system is that the employee can also hand in notice and just leave which, in the case of a player like Coutinho, would have allowed the club to avoid making £140m (or whatever) on selling him to Barca.

There's a very good reason the contract system prevails in Soccer. Wasting £10m on a player like Markovic is just a cost of doing business and shouldn't be focused on in isolation to situations like Coutinho where £140m was made.

What's important is how overall transfer dealings pan out financially over time and I think everyone here agrees FSG have a fairly stellar track record over the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Sessegnon has his head screwed on, he doesn't want the limelight or a big money move at this point in his career. ........... He's happy and Fulham are happy.

He won't be happy if he's playing in the Championship next year!!

Hearing whispers we have had people meet with Hudson -Odoi ,

Do you guys think he would be a good singing ?

More thank likely he will end up at German ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

FitzShane wrote: »
    'Mr Bayern Munich' or basically the lad that knows everything about them like Kovac being new manager / player transfer etc has said this this morning.

Liverpool have talked to Callum Hudson Odoi about a transfer.

https://twitter.com/cfbayern/status/1087991277529022464

Possibly our transfer as cover for the wings in the summer?

or Bayern trying to play mind games before the CL games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

More likely Odoi's agent trying to get either (i) Bayern to hurry on and get the transfer done or (ii) Chelsea to stump up with an improved contract

I'd be very surprised if it's not the case but I'd say we are just being name dropped in an attempt to shake up the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

x43r0 wrote: »
    More likely Odoi's agent trying to get either (i) Bayern to hurry on and get the transfer done or (ii) Chelsea to stump up with an improved contract

I'd be very surprised if it's not the case but I'd say we are just being name dropped in an attempt to shake up the situation

Liverpool won't be doing a facelift in attack anytime soon unlike Chelsea or Bayern. If he wants regular first team football we are probably the worst choice as he won't be handed it right away which seems to be what he wants......

Hearing whispers we have had people meet with Hudson -Odoi ,

Do you guys think he would be a good singing ?

More thank likely he will end up at German ,

He's even less likely to get game time with us than Chelsea and that's why he wants to leave.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Liverpool won't be doing a facelift in attack anytime soon unlike Chelsea or Bayern. If he wants regular first team football we are probably the worst choice as he won't be handed it right away which seems to be what he wants......

I see people say this but a lot of the time recently we have played. Mane on the left ,Shaq on the right , Bobby as a 10 and Salah as the 9

Surely he would get game time on the right ?
    Plus we could rest and rotate them no problem ,

At Bayern he isn't going to play ever single game without deserving to so wouldn't be any different here,

Bayern also sign every single next big thing in German so he could be replaced, Then there is moving to Germany learning a new language

I see people say this but a lot of the time recently we have played. Mane on the left ,Shaq on the right , Bobby as a 10 and Salah as the 9

Surely he would get game time on the right ?
    Plus we could rest and rotate them no problem ,

At Bayern he isn't going to play ever single game without deserving to so wouldn't be any different here,

Bayern also sign every single next big thing in German so he could be replaced, Then there is moving to Germany learning a new language

I'm assuming Bobby is going back to 9 once we get a 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I just can't wait for the league matches to resume.

Right now we have 60 pts after 23 games which is totally bonkers and 4 pts ahead of City. Can city win all their remaining games and get to 101 pts?
    Yes, they can, but so can we. I don't think either of us will do that, but what do I know :o.

Liverpool has never broken 90pts in a league season, the last time we achieved 90pts was 87/88 season under Kenny.
    We have come close to that with 86pts under Rafa 08/09. It still haunts me to this day. That was the year we SHOULD have won, 2 loses but TWELVE fcuking draws :(.

As much as it pained me I had to give credit to United that year. They took advantage of our slip-ups and did their job, plus 24 clean sheets is a damn good statistic as well :)
    Under Brendan yeah we could have won but sort of fell into the title race. People will say oh the Gerard slip etc but that team wasn't a patch on 08/09 or this current team.

Remaining fixtures and predictions.

Liverpool - 60pts

January

30 – Leicester City (H) W

February

2 – West Ham United (A) W
    9 – Bournemouth (H) W
    23 – Manchester United (A) D
    27 – Watford (H) W

March

2 – Everton (A) D
    9 – Burnley (H) W
    16 – Fulham (A) W
    30 – Tottenham Hotspur (H) D

April

6 – Southampton (A) W
    13 – Chelsea (H) D
    20 – Cardiff City (A) W
    27 – Huddersfield Town (H) W

May

4 – Newcastle United (A) W
    12 – Wolverhampton Wanderers (H) W

Final total: 97 pts

And City's - 56pts

January

29 - Newcastle United (A) W

February

2 - Arsenal (H) W
    9 - Chelsea (H) D
    23 - Everton (A) W
    27 - West Ham United (H) W

March

2 - Bournemouth (A) W
    9 - Watford (H) W
    16 - Manchester United (A) D
    30 - Fulham (A) W

April

6 - Cardiff City (H) W
    13 - Crystal Palace (A) W
    20 - Tottenham Hotspur (H) D
    27 - Burnley (A) W

May

4 - Leicester City (H) W
    12 - Brighton and Hove Albion (A) W

Final total - 95pts

Its gonna be a fascinating few months with some twists and turns along the way.

I have been waiting 29 years to see that league championship paraded at Anfield :)

15 games to go, 15 games for these boys to make history, 15 games to go down as heroes.

Come on redmen , lets do this.

YNWA :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Given the mix of players Liverpool have in the middle I wonder if Klopp would fancy trying Ox-Cham as a number 10, or would that negate his powerful running?

I'd love it if we went for an all action 4-4-2 diamond in some games next season

Alisson
    TAA----Gomez---VVD---Robbo
    Fabby
    Gini
    Nabby
    Ox-Cham
    Salah
    Mane

or maybe

Alisson
    TAA---Gomez---VVD---Robbo
    Fabby
    ----Ox-Cham----Nabby
    Firmino
    Salah
    Mane

Right now we have 60 pts after 23 games which is totally bonkers and 4 pts ahead of City. Can city win all their remaining games and get to 101 pts?
    Yes, they can, but so can we. I don't think either of us will do that, but what do I know :o.............

It's highly unlikely that both Liverpool and Man City will not lose a league game for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Thread on Keita's defensive work, for anyone interested

https://twitter.com/aiunderpressure/status/1087841611936079873?s=21

:)

Not quoting it all but I think we should beat Everton away. They haven't been good since they played us.

I also think United will beat both us and City. Playing very well at the minute and will not want to lose twice in a season to two direct rivals, and are back in the hunt for top 4 so have a lot to play for.

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's highly unlikely that both Liverpool and Man City will not lose a league game for the rest of the season.

It crazy cause if one of City or Us lose two games fro now until the end the other will more than likely win it,

I just can't see City losing a game, iv a feeling it may come down to the 3 points they picked up against us a draw in that one and id be super confident we'd win it, At the moment I have City down as fav's as I see us dropping more points than them ,

It crazy cause if one of City or Us lose two games fro now until the end the other will more than likely win it,

I just can't see City losing a game, iv a feeling it may come down to the 3 points they picked up against us a draw in that one and id be super confident we'd win it, At the moment I have City down as fav's as I see us dropping more points than them ,

You didn't see City losing three games in December so they are beatable and you think Liverpool are going to lose every game so I think we have a great chance and we're in the driving seat.

• Advertisement

Not quoting it all but I think we should beat Everton away. They haven't been good since they played us.

I also think United will beat both us and City. Playing very well at the minute and will not want to lose twice in a season to two direct rivals, and are back in the hunt for top 4 so have a lot to play for.

United will be interesting
    Under Ole they have shown one way attack
    They where're very very lucky against Spurs but hung on in there ,

If they play the same way against us and City it will playing into our hands,

It'll be very interesting to see how they set up in both games and how there player's react if all of a sudden they are told to defend and not attack ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

It's very simplistic to have both of us drawing the big games and winning all the rest :D

There'll be plenty of twists and turns with both teams dropping silly points. Especially with CL coming back.

Edit: I hadn't refreshed in a while. That's in response to the post on the previous page with the predictions for the rest of the league games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

We just have to hope that United are in the top 4 race when they play the re-arranged derby game in late April / May. It will be on in OT and they may need the 3 points. Even if it is a draw, it could end up proving decisive in the title race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Crystal Palace away for City, Pep fears them very much I remember from the Amazon documentary.

https://twitter.com/lfc_allting/status/1087987922521997315?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Wheety wrote: »
    It's very simplistic to have both of us drawing the big games and winning all the rest :D

There'll be plenty of twists and turns with both teams dropping silly points. Especially with CL coming back.

Edit: I hadn't refreshed in a while. That's in response to the post on the previous page with the predictions for the rest of the league games.

Yes, of course, it's very simplistic to post the predicted results like that. If I'm being honest I think the most we can afford to drop is 5pts, I'm just hoping city drop more than us.

As stated above there should be losses along the way by both teams and will be interesting to see how far right or wrong I'm at the season's end :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement