Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Maybe he just wanted to leave.

But hes under contract so why let him n January, Make him stay till the summer then leave with the clubs blessing ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Get Klopp to play CB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

But hes under contract so why let him n January, Make him stay till the summer then leave with the clubs blessing ,

Why? Because it's the right thing to do. If you make him stay and he's unhappy the player might not give 100% anymore. If he doesn't buy into the project it's better for morale to move him on.

How would you feel if you got offered a new job where your more involved and everything looks a better fit for you only for your current boss to say your going no where until the summer because you have a contract. Bear in mind you've been working out of a broom closet licking stamps for the last 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Gary Cahill Incoming!!!!

I'd take him till the end of the season

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I know there was rumours last season about him but hadn't heard anything this year and you'd think seeing he started v United (huge game) that he was in the mangers good books ,

The reason for him playing that match was probably 2 fold.
    1 - Fill the hole
    2 - Let suitors see that he can still play

I think that this decision was way above the head of the manager.

I wish him well and hope that whatever is happening off-field gets sorted out for him. Only 27 so has another few years ahead of him and he's already started to get regular games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I think that this decision was way above the head of the manager.

No decision is above this manager's head! If he said that Clyne needed to stay, he would have stayed, no question. He obviously felt we were better off without, and that can't only be for footballing reasons.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Why? Because it's the right thing to do. If you make him stay and he's unhappy the player might not give 100% anymore. If he doesn't buy into the project it's better for morale to move him on.

How would you feel if you got offered a new job where your more involved and everything looks a better fit for you only for your current boss to say your going no where until the summer because you have a contract. Bear in mind you've been working out of a broom closet licking stamps for the last 3 years.

Remember we didn't let Phil go and he played his best football , Same as Luis ,
    I know they where starter but most pro's keep there head down and get on with it, He's getting paid a good wage and it's only till the summer with a chance of champions league and Prem glory ,

Just make no sense, at the time Gomes and Matip where already injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Dickerty wrote: »
    No decision is above this manager's head! If he said that Clyne needed to stay, he would have stayed, no question. He obviously felt we were better off without, and that can't only be for footballing reasons.

If the reputation of the club can be damaged of course it can go above the managers head. This is an business and a football club.

It's not unknown for players to be sacked by clubs. In our case, the club came to an agreement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

There must be someone out of contract or with six months left who could be picked up - Steve Caulker style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Remember we didn't let Phil go and he played his best football , Same as Luis ,
    I know they where starter but most pro's keep there head down and get on with it, He's getting paid a good wage and it's only till the summer with a chance of champions league and Prem glory ,

Just make no sense, at the time Gomes and Matip where already injured

It makes plenty of sense but you just want to complain about this today. Probably be banging the Kieta drum tomorrow.

Its games like these with players missing that you MUST win to Champions, United done it for years ,
    A firing crowd and a few early goals for a win ,
    Westham is next Monday so gives us a little more time to get lads fit,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Very nervous time if VVD is out.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Very nervous time if VVD is out.

If he is out we must look to start well ,

Also something that gets over looked is its important the crowd are on it and don't project any nervous energy on the players ,

If he is missing we will get a good indication of how much Becker has added to calmness at the back,

Lovren must be on the way out if Honegstein is right about LFC being more interested in a CB. No point in picking up another 4th choice player so the third choice must be under threat.

• Advertisement

If the reputation of the club can be damaged of course it can go above the managers head. This is an business and a football club.

It's not unknown for players to be sacked by clubs. In our case, the club came to an agreement.

Yeh, but Klopp would certainly be consulted, and you would think that he'd definitely agree if it was major enough. If it was something lesser and Klopp felt we needed to keep him despite that, I don't believe they would forced it and risk upsetting Klopp...

Lovren must be on the way out if Honegstein is right about LFC being more interested in a CB. No point in picking up another 4th choice player so the third choice must be under threat.

I'd imagine there all under threat bar VVD,
    As good as Gomes has been he is injury prone,
    Also id imagine we won't buy a right back so he will be play a lot of games there to ,

Personally I'd let Matip go ,Lovren is better and also Salah's best mate

Oh yeah they'll sell Gomez, I'd love to have a peek inside your brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

There must be someone out of contract or with six months left who could be picked up - Steve Caulker style.

Diego Godin has six months left. He would be some signing. Alas unrealistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Flights & hotel booked for Huddersfield game end April. It was cheaper flying Dub-Man with Aer Lingus and that's factoring in taxi both ways, flight times so much better too.
    We are going for the weekend so as long as they don't change to a Monday night or Friday night game I'm good, otherwise Heuston we have a problem :D

It will be the 9yr olds 1st time at Anfield, herself can go shopping :D. It will be some experience if we are still in with a chance of the league & dare I say it possible winning come to that :)

I can't fcuking wait :)

• Advertisement

SM01 wrote: »
    Diego Godin has six months left. He would be some signing. Alas realistic.

I believe he was brought up here before, I don't think he's getting much game time anymore and has slowed down quite a bit in the last year.

An immense player a few years ago, but passed his prime now. I'm open to correction on that though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

At least with Van Dijk its an illness & not an injury.
    Regarding Clyne, if he was at the club right now he'd be playing & not be let out on loan with the current defensive situation. But Klopp I doubt envisaged us picking up so many injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

I believe he was brought up here before, I don't think he's getting much game time anymore and has slowed down quite a bit in the last year.

An immense player a few years ago, but passed his prime now. I'm open to correction on that though :)

If he's as fast as you are at replying to my post, he'll be grand!

I edited the word 'realistic' to 'unrealistic' a split second after i posted, but you managed to beat me to it with your quote!

Oh yeah they'll sell Gomez, I'd love to have a peek inside your brain.

Jesus no you have me all wrong I'm not saying I'd sell him at all,
    I'm just saying I wouldn't have him down as automatic starter at CB just yet

Clearly said id let Matip go

He signed for Inter ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Do we have to have the Clyne conversation every week now?

He wanted to go. He said as much in the presser after he signed for Bournemouth. Said it was frustrating to be fit and not being picked.

How anyone can argue with that is beyond me.

Is it now frustrating as we are short in quite a few positions? Yep. But can you really blame him for wanting to actually play football instead of sitting on his hands for another 5 months? I can't hold that against him!

He wanted to go. He said as much in the presser after he signed for Bournemouth. Said it was frustrating to be fit and not being picked.

Is it now frustrating as we are short in quite a few positions? Yep. But can you really blame him for wanting to actually play football instead of sitting on his hands for another 5 months? I can't hold that against him!

I don't think too many can blame the club for letting him go if he wanted to. Not getting in cover was the mistake.

I know Fab and Milner can cover but it's not ideal.

If VVD is only food poisoning or similar, he'll play because he's not injured. People are seeing he has sat out training and decided he can't play.
    Assuming he is not ill tomorrow, I think he plays. It's at home, so no travel so can make a late call. And no game until Monday then.

I think people are saying it shouldn't be his choice as he is under contract,

Same way the club made Phil and Luis stay , again I know there starters but ,Can't see Trent back in the next week he is still in a knee brace, So that's at least 4 games he could have played by this day next week,

Gomes hasn't even started running yet so when Trent is back do we expect him to play the weekend and champions Bayern midweek ,

Matip and Gomes where out and we could have waited till the end of the window to see how they where recovering from injury before letting him leave, Poor planning

Word is Gomes out till March earliest ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Who is Gomes?

Who is Gomes?

Sorry Gomez ,
    Also Lovren and Fab both have recently had muscle injuries so they will need to managed and not over used ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

If VVD is only food poisoning or similar, he'll play because he's not injured. People are seeing he has sat out training and decided he can't play.
    Assuming he is not ill tomorrow, I think he plays. It's at home, so no travel so can make a late call. And no game until Monday then.

Yea unless VVD has the black death I can't see him not playing even if he is slightly Ill.

I reckon Fab rb and Gini and Hendo in the middle with Shaq.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Clyne should have been kept till the end of Jan and let go then. Even with no injuries he could have been promised the wolves Fa cup game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

This might sound weird but if VVD is fit I reckon Camacho RB but if he doesn't play then I reckon Fabinho RB tomorrow with Matip & Lovern CB add some composure to the back four with ultra reliable Robertson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Fabinho trained yesterday so looks like he'll be available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Can Rafa get the biggest win of his career tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How come the last generation of players are so despised , the like of Carra, Gerrard, Owen, Mcmanaman, Hamann, Skrtel so on so on.
    I can't think of one that is actually respected for what they did for club.
    The likes of Suarez is more respected than all of them and all the trouble he caused while here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

How come the last generation of players are so despised , the like of Carra, Gerrard, Owen, Mcmanaman, Hamann, Skrtel so on so on.
    The likes of Suarez is more respected than all of them and all the trouble he caused while here.

Who despises them, I can understand why Owen would be but the others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

despised by other fans perhaps? except McManaman, always thought he was overrated but happy he found success at RM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Virgil, Fab and Gini trained today. Trent not quite ready yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Flights & hotel booked for Huddersfield game end April. It was cheaper flying Dub-Man with Aer Lingus and that's factoring in taxi both ways, flight times so much better too.
    We are going for the weekend so as long as they don't change to a Monday night or Friday night game I'm good, otherwise Heuston we have a problem :D

It will be the 9yr olds 1st time at Anfield, herself can go shopping :D. It will be some experience if we are still in with a chance of the league & dare I say it possible winning come to that :)

I can't fcuking wait :)

Out of curiosity, how did you get your match tickets? I've never been to anfield and am eager to get over at some stage for a game. Finding tickets seems to be very difficult, how do people on here usually source their tickets? Buy package deals? Or have other sources?

gimli2112 wrote: »
    despised by other fans perhaps? except McManaman, always thought he was overrated but happy he found success at RM.

His link up play with Fowler was often sensational :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

MR NINE wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how did you get your match tickets? I've never been to anfield and am eager to get over at some stage for a game. Finding tickets seems to be very difficult, how do people on here usually source their tickets? Buy package deals? Or have other sources?

There like gold dust this season. I've been once at the start but ive had no luck getting anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Augeo wrote: »
    His link up play with Fowler was often sensational

yeah I don't know why but I never liked Macca for us. Just not enough end product. He was a decent enough player but in terms of stand out moments I can only think of a goal against Celtic and one in a League Cup final (I think). He was from a time when we'd just turned bad and as one of the star players maybe I just scapegoated him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Gerrard is rangers manager. Very hard to respect a guy that represents an organisation that's inherently anti Irish.

Maybe his achievements on the pitch allow some to overlook that, but it's understandable why others can't respect a leading figure in a notoriously loyalist, hard right club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

MR NINE wrote: »

My mate gets them through members sales. He has chipped away year on year and built up the required 14+ match stubs to get Cat A games etc.
    When he 1st joined he was lucky to get a few Cat C matches.

He has a couple of contacts in the UK that take the matches off him, he normally goes a couple of times a season with me and then if there are any games I want to go to most of the time I can get them off him.

Its such a rip off through travel agent etc, but sadly most fans have no other choice.

Have you tried the ticketing forum on here ?

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Gerrard is rangers manager. Very hard to respect a guy that represents an organisation that's inherently anti Irish.

Maybe his achievements on the pitch allow some to overlook that, but it's understandable why others can't respect a leading figure in a notoriously loyalist, hard right club.

Your last sentence reads like he had become a 'leading figure in a notoriously loyalist, hard right' terrorist organisation!

It's a football club. Celtic are hardly blameless, but as Irish, we take their side and Rangers are the evil empire. He's a football manager, that's it. Maybe he can help to moderate the club from within, but he cannot change 100+ years of animosity between the clubs.

Should he have turned down the job because they have a bitter rivalry with another club? He grew up in Liverpool, after all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Can Rafa get the biggest win of his career tonight?

I'm sure you're probably not being serious but just in case not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Your last sentence reads like he had become a 'leading figure in a notoriously loyalist, hard right' terrorist organisation!

It's a football club. Celtic are hardly blameless, but as Irish, we take their side and Rangers are the evil empire. He's a football manager, that's it. Maybe he can help to moderate the club from within, but he cannot change 100+ years of animosity between the clubs.

Should he have turned down the job because they have a bitter rivalry with another club? He grew up in Liverpool, after all!

Celtic are irrelevant to the conversation, it's nothing to do with them.

My point is simply that Rangers as a club represents a very right wing, anti Irish sentiment, loyalist sentiment.

It's hard to respect anyone who'd get involved with that sort of organisation irrespective of his achievements on the pitch

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement