Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Augeo wrote: »
    Liverpool are 1/3
    Man City are 5/2

Turty doesn't like facts that go against his opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

SlickRic wrote: »
    if we somehow win it, the narrative will go something like this...

'City were not at their best in the League. They wanted the Champions League more, and went deep in all the Cups, and they threw it away. Liverpool sandbagged the cups to only concentrate on the League, so they're not as good as the season suggests. And also, if Mourinho hadn't destroyed us, we'd have had a shot. But with Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal in transition, and Spurs not spending anything, Liverpool didn't really have to beat much.'

I don't think a single Liverpool fan will give a sh*t what anyone says,

If win it and its a big if ,

Light the beacons of Condor, Statue of Jurgen,
    Every child born in the next 12 months to be named after the player who get's the clinching goal ,
    Pictures of Hendo lifting the trophy posted to every United fan iv ever meet,

I won't give dame how its done as long as its done ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Think the fans will be well up for it tonight. Will be like a CL game - mid-week, under the lights...i expect the Kop to be in full voice.
    Pure manic aggression!

Absolutely no excuse not to be. Regardless of our European night reputation, the Anfield atmosphere for PL games is usually disappointingly flat. Even at the Arsenal game over the Christmas when we walloped them, the atmosphere was muted. So few games left, so much to play for - no excuse whatsoever not to bring the noise for each and every game now.

Turty doesn't like facts that go against his opinion.

LFC fans trying to play the "we're underdogs for this" are as bad as the "it's LFCs to throw away" brigade IMO.

We're top of the table on merit and it's fully deserved, the team no doubt aren't thinking city are favourites so why should the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

In fairness there is no luck with a league, not like a cup, it's the bread and butter of a football season.
    Best team wins - always.

Liverpool will win this league, I wouldn't worry or think about Brendan Rogers mess up - ye weren't in as strong a position then.

*Easy for me to say as a Chelsea fan of course :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Still not keeping up with City!!!

Make it count tonight lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

A big difference in the last month has been our response to conceding goals compared to City.

City were 1-0 up against Palace,Leicester & Newcastle. Lost each game while we were down 1-0 against Burnley & Palace both in the 2nd half & win. Also were 1-0 down to Arsenal as well.

City are incredible at hammering teams but when they have conceded recently they have struggled badly.

Augeo wrote: »
    LFC fans trying to play the "we're underdogs for this" are as bad as the "it's LFCs to throw away" brigade IMO.

We're top of the table on merit and it's fully deserved, the team no doubt aren't thinking city are favourites so why should the fans.

Scarred from 13/14 & The Europa final a bit too when we were 1 up.

I still have horrible memories of the Hillsborough memorial in in April 2014 when LFCTV had interviews with older players basically saying we had the league won.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Scarred from 13/14 & The Europa final a bit too when we were 1 up.

I still have horrible memories of the Hillsborough memorial in in April 2014 when LFCTV had interviews with older players basically saying we had the league won.

People forget in 13/14 we came from no where and had an incredible run we won 11 of out last 14 games , lost 2 and drew 1 ,
    Plus the draw was Palace where again people forget we needed to win by about 8 goals to catch City goal difference so went all out attack and ended up drawing ,

If we match that run now we could only lose by goal difference if City win all there reaming games,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We're not underdogs but we could easily surrender a 7 point lead with a few key injuries. 15 games still to play, its madness claiming Liverpool are champions elect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Updated Run in

Date Liverpool Man City
    30th Jan Leicester
    3rd Feb Arsenal
    4th Feb West Ham (a)
    6th Feb Everton (a)
    9th Feb Bournemouth
    10th Feb Chelsea
    16th Feb Middlesbrough/Newport (a)
    19th Feb Bayern München (GER)
    20th Feb Shalke 04 (GER) (a)
    24th Feb Man Utd (a) Chelsea EFL Cup Final
    27th Feb Watford West Ham
    2nd Mar Bournemouth (a)
    3rd Mar Everton (a)
    9th Mar Watford
    10th Mar Burnley
    12th Mar Shalke 04 (GER)
    13th Mar Bayern München (GER) (a)
    16th Mar Man Utd (a)/FA CUP QF
    17th Mar Fulham (a)
    30th Mar Fulham (a)
    31st Mar Spurs
    6th Apr Southampton (a) Cardiff/FA Cup Semi Final
    9th Apr UCL QF 1st Leg UCL QF 1st Leg
    14th Apr Chelsea Palace (a)
    16th Apr UCL QF 2nd Leg UCL QF 2nd Leg
    20th Apr Cardiff (a) Spurs
    27th Apr Huddersfield Burnley (a)
    30th Apr UCL SF 1st Leg UCL SF 1st Leg
    4th May Newcastle (a) Leicester
    7th May UCL SF 2nd Leg UCL SF 2nd Leg
    12th May Wolves Brighton (a)
    18th May FA CUP Final
    1st June UCL Final UCL Final

Liverpool Man City
    Top 6 Top 6
    Home Away Home Away
    Spurs Man Utd Arsenal Man Utd
    Chelsea Chelsea
    Spurs

Outside top 6 Outside top 6
    Leicester West Ham West Ham Everton
    Bourenemouth Everton Watford Bournemouth
    Watford Fulham Cardiff Fulham
    Burnley Southampton Leicester Palace
    Huddersfield Cardiff Burnley
    Wolves Newcastle Brighton

So Man City will play an extra game next week until the EFL Cup Final.

Then March Man City will play 1st in every weekend but could have their game V Man Utd postponed if either team reach the quarter final of the FA Cup

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

rob316 wrote: »
    We're not underdogs but we could easily surrender a 7 point lead with a few key injuries. 15 games still to play, its madness claiming Liverpool are champions elect.

It's not a 7 point lead, it's a 4 point lead, with a win tonight it's 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

SlickRic wrote: »
    if we somehow win it, the narrative will go something like this...

'City were not at their best in the League. They wanted the Champions League more, and went deep in all the Cups, and they threw it away. Liverpool sandbagged the cups to only concentrate on the League, so they're not as good as the season suggests. And also, if Mourinho hadn't destroyed us, we'd have had a shot. But with Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal in transition, and Spurs not spending anything, Liverpool didn't really have to beat much.'

In fairness, I'd take that :-)
    So many false dawns, so many next years... Just possible that this year is our year. Over in a few weeks with the little guy, I was dreading the possibility of it going pear-shaped as soon as it was booked. But a win tonight and it really is starting to look like the home stretch, albeit a very long one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd happily crash out v Bayern and let the squad have 6/7 days between almost every remaining PL game.
    (I'm bad, I know)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Was a strange sensation watching that last night. At 1-1 it was nearly worse than watching a tight LFC match. Sick in the stomach because you know there is no way Newcastle hold out for the rest of the game. Then the penalty, you jump out of your seat with excitement but the excruciating wait nearly kills you. You know if he misses City are straight up the other end for the winner, season defining moments. Your prayers to Matt Ritchie are answered.

Newcasltle see it out comfortably enough in the end. One ball into the Newcastle box is not chased by any City player and you feel the narrative has changed a bit. You've 2 bottles of Heino flattened on a School night then you realise it is all for nothing unless we beat Leicester. C'mon lads lets keep our foot on their throats. Im sure tonight will be like a Champs league game, it's there for us

Get used to life in the fast lane buddy - time to stock up with another 6-pack for February :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

I'd happily crash out v Bayern and let the squad have 6/7 days between almost every remaining PL game.
    (I'm bad, I know)

#meetoo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Everton and West Ham away could be massive banana peels.

Vicxas wrote: »

Arnautovic left the game last night on crutches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

(I'm bad, I know)

It's funny but I heard Pep laughing off talk about winning four trophies this year and rightly so. I'd genuinely forgotten we're still in the Champions League.

• Advertisement

Vicxas wrote: »

Arnautovic left the stadium on crutches last night so may miss our game ,

It is a joke Man Utd fans like to say Liverpool bottled the league after one loss to Chelsea after winning the previous 10.

Man Utd were 8 points clear with 5 games left in 11/12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Embrace it, revel in it.

City are clearly still favourites, but the thought of us possibly doing it has them clinging to any excuses they can find, especially the ‘luck’ angle they’re pushing now. A few weeks ago everyone bar Liverpool fans were saying it was wrapped up so they could say it was thrown away if City won it, in a few weeks they’ll have something else.

No matter what happens I’m enjoying the squirming. From the anyone but Liverpool posts, to the ‘I’m gonna close my account’ posts, but especially the ‘I don’t care if they win it’ posts from people who are clearly invested in Liverpool not winning it and spend more time posting about Liverpool than their own team.

It’s glorious.

If we did it, well. What a moment of clean and pure justice that would be. A lot of people have said a lot of things over the past few years. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I don't think a single Liverpool fan will give a sh*t what anyone says,

If win it and its a big if ,

Light the beacons of Condor, Statue of Jurgen,
    Every child born in the next 12 months to be named after the player who get's the clinching goal ,
    Pictures of Hendo lifting the trophy posted to every United fan iv ever meet,

I won't give dame how its done as long as its done ,

Gondor, right?
    I'm beginning to doubt the validity of your username? :pac:

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Gondor, right?
    I'm beginning to doubt the validity of your username? :pac:

You sir are correct :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

How do some fans still think City are favorites? Baffling. Of course they could go on to win it, hopefully not, but Liverpool are clear favorites now considering points dropped so far and remaining games.

Anyway, big test tonight. Get 7 clear and ye are flying

• Advertisement

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    How do some fans still think City are favorites? Baffling. Of course they could go on to win it, hopefully not, but Liverpool are clear favorites now considering points dropped so far and remaining games.

No favs until tonight is over and we have played equal amount of games,
    No points are gimmes in the Prem ,
    Win tonight and I accept we are favourites ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

If they lose Allison, VVD or Salah they will be under massive pressure. players that seem to play every minute of every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Liverpool to win tonight. Few early goals. Salah will have a big game.

City to draw on Sunday.

I am not that concerned about the match in Goodison. They are not that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

(I'm bad, I know)

Said the same thing last night to my mate if it means we win the PL, but you know what, feck it, let's go balls out on both....

No other distractions to get in the way...

Out of Alisson, Virg and Salah, I'd definitely say Salah's the one we could accommodate losing through injury. The other two are irreplaceable. Ideally of course, none of them get injured.

• Advertisement

Fieldog wrote: »
    Said the same thing last night to my mate if it means we win the PL, but you know what, feck it, let's go balls out on both....

No other distractions to get in the way...

Don't think it's remotely possible for an English club to win both, not least because the PL make absolutely zero allowances for clubs involved in the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

MD1990 wrote: »
    City are incredible at hammering teams but when they have conceded recently they have struggled badly.

it's the one question mark that will always be over Pep teams. As brilliant as they are, and as brilliant as that City team is, there is a weakness at the back that can always be got at.

the philosophy of 'keep the ball away from your penalty area by keep possession high up the pitch' is a solid one, but if you can't defend balls into the box effectively, you're going to occasionally be vulnerable. it shows that every team has flaws, and Pep, as great as he is, has not achieved perfection, nor will he ever. the closest he ever got was with his Barca team, which had the Xavi-Iniesta all-time great tandem, with Messi as the stardust.

Newcastle stayed in the game last night, and City started to doubt, because they know they can't rely on backs-to-the-wall football. they got twitchy when some pressure was on, and they failed.

it is why VVD and Alisson, if we go on to win it, are two of the best signing we've made in 30 years. and I include Suarez, Torres and even Andy Carroll in that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

mosstin wrote:
    Out of Alisson, Virg and Salah, I'd definitely say Salah's the one we could accommodate losing through injury. The other two are irreplaceable. Ideally of course, none of them get injured.

Probably says more about Mignolet & the likes of a Matip than it does them other 2. At least with Salah you have Firmino to play his role.
    Good thing for Liverpool that Puel was so hands on with Van Dijk. :rolleyes:

If City continue to pick up points at there current rate ,they would finish's on 89 points ,
    Meaning we would need 30 points from 15 games to win it
    10 wins
    8 wins, 6 draws .1 defeat
    9 wins, 3 draws , 3 defeat 's

But then again City could win all there games,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

If City continue to pick up points at there current rate ,they would finish's on 89 points ,
    10 wins

They will not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

There is more pressure on Liverpool to win this league than City and the closer they come to the title the greater the pressure will be. I am 31 and have never seen them win the league, Il be out on the piss for a month if it happens :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

10 wins

I think last night proved the futility of these exercises. Let's just go with it and see how it pans out. Danny Murphy had one in the paper over the weekend and I nearly got sick looking at it.

If Spurs win tonight they are 1 points behind City
    Surely they are in the race ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Yeah, but they are Spurs.

major bill wrote: »
    There is more pressure on Liverpool to win this league than City and the closer they come to the title the greater the pressure will be. I am 31 and have never seen them win the league, Il be out on the piss for a month if it happens :)

I agree, Liverpool is mad one because of the expectation and the weight of the history ,
    i just pray the pressure and nerves of the fans don't come across to the players in our home games,

We are so close but yet so far its a bit of a mind F*CK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The form team in the league at the moment is probably Man Utd. They were 0-2 to Burnley last night with a couple of minutes to go. Can't take anything for granted. If we were playing as well as we did at the back end of last year I'd be a lot more confident.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Yeah, but they are Spurs.

The game against them in March could turn out to be huge ,

2 points

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Spurs have a fair few injuries at the moment I believe. I wouldn't out them out of the title race at all if they win tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The new line being trotted out by the United fans is that "City are handing Liverpool the title on a plate".....

The fact that Liverpool have won 19 out of 23 games this season has nothing to do with it of course... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

I am going to let myself have the tiniest belief that we may, "may" just do it this year and on Saturday 13th April will be the day it happens...... god i bloody hope so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Spurs have a fair few injuries at the moment I believe. I wouldn't out them out of the title race at all if they win tonight.

They were never in, nor will they ever be in the title race this season.

It's absurd to think otherwise.

There's absolutely nothing we've seen to suggest they can significantly close the gap before the end of the season, never mind actually win the thing.

Unlike City, they are not a team that could go the rest of the season unbeaten and they certainly couldn't win every game.

The way things are going they'll be doing well to break 80 pts.
    And that's not a slight on them. They've signed nobody and are still on course to better last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

FitzShane wrote: »
    The new line being trotted out by the United fans is that "City are handing Liverpool the title on a plate".....
    I'm ok with that.
    We handed Utd the title when we defeated Blackburn for them at Anfield, they just let it fumble out of their own hands.

Boom_Bap wrote: »

There next 3 Prem games are at home and all very winnable, they should be fine till some guys are back ,

• Advertisement

BrookieD wrote: »
    I am going to let myself have the tiniest belief that we may, "may" just do it this year and on Saturday 13th April will be the day it happens...... god i bloody hope so

Technically at the moment anyway it could happen on the 27th of April

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement