Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Gbear wrote: »
    They were never in, nor will they ever be in the title race this season.

It's absurd to think otherwise.

There's absolutely nothing we've seen to suggest they can significantly close the gap before the end of the season, never mind actually win the thing.

Unlike City, they are not a team that could go the rest of the season unbeaten and they certainly couldn't win every game.

The way things are going they'll be doing well to break 80 pts.
    And that's not a slight on them. They've signed nobody and are still on course to better last season.

9 points off the top of the table, and we are just about to roll into Feb.
    Nothing absurd about it.
    It's up to use to keep getting points to ensure they don't close it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

If Spurs win tonight they are 1 points behind City
    Surely they are in the race ?

they'll be two points behind...amazing that they're there at all...theyre having a great season...but we'll see how they cope without Kane and Alli over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

BrookieD wrote: »
    I am going to let myself have the tiniest belief that we may, "may" just do it this year and on Saturday 13th April will be the day it happens...... god i bloody hope so

Liverpool will not be playing on April 13th, there game will be on the 14th as they play Chelsea that weekend who are most likely be playing the Thursday before in the Europa League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Liverpool will not be playing on April 13th, there game will be on the 14th as they play Chelsea that weekend who are most likely be playing the Thursday before in the Europa League
    - was just going by the fixtures in BBC :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Chelsea have Huddersfield at home and then 8 days to prepare for City away, while City will play Arsenal and Everton in that time.

If we win our next 3 tonight, Westham and Bournemouth it'll be huge,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Had a few guys in work saying "Congratulations", "City are handing it to you", but I'm not accepting saying they have to win tonight and if Liverpool do win it then they have gone out and won it themselves.

I don't get why "neutrals" are ignoring Liverpool's points tally and performances this season.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Had a few guys in work saying "Congratulations", "City are handing it to you", but I'm not accepting saying they have to win tonight and if Liverpool do win it then they have gone out and won it themselves.

I don't get why "neutrals" are ignoring Liverpool's points tally and performances this season.

Again who cares , if we win it who gives a crap what other fan;s think or say,

It's like scoring a super model and you mate saying "ah she's not my type"
    Or going on dream holiday and your friend saying "ah I don't like the sun" ,
    Or winning the Lotto and retiring and your mate saying " ah I enjoy working"

Who care's your delighted that all the matters ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

murpho999 wrote: »

Because some of your fans are the most insufferable human beings to ever grace the earth

Having said that the best team always wins the league, Liverpool have been that so far and I'd be amazed if they didnt win it from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Chelsea have Huddersfield at home and then 8 days to prepare for City away, while City will play Arsenal and Everton in that time.

If we win our next 3 tonight, Westham and Bournemouth it'll be huge,

City could be 3rd before they play again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    9 points off the top of the table, and we are just about to roll into Feb.
    Nothing absurd about it.
    It's up to use to keep getting points to ensure they don't close it.

That logic only works if you think there's a mean to which either we or Spurs are going to dramatically regress to.

You can see it with City. They just have so much quality.

You can't with Spurs. They're not going to get significantly more PPG. They're on course for 83 pts and are now missing 2 of their best 4 attacking players for weeks.

And they still have to play us and City away.

Even if we suffer a sort of collapse at this point, it's difficult to imagine us finishing on any fewer than 90 pts (going from 2.5 -> 2ppg). City could match that. Spurs cannot get 39/45. They're just not a good enough team, or more importantly, squad.

It's been clear for months that Spurs weren't at the level required, and nothing has happened to improve their chances lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

FitzShane wrote: »
    The new line being trotted out by the United fans is that "City are handing Liverpool the title on a plate".....

The fact that Liverpool have won 19 out of 23 games this season has nothing to do with it of course... :pac:

I don't really get at all why we should give the slightest **** how the possibility of us winning it is being spun by our rivals. We all know that each and every one of them posting anything remotely like that is just an attempt to try to convince themselves that they're not hurting by the position we've put ourselves in. I won't be listening or reading what they have to say if we don't win, any more than I will do if we do.

Edit; posted after someone posted almost the exact same thing above.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    they'll be two points behind...amazing that they're there at all...theyre having a great season...but we'll see how they cope without Kane and Alli over the next few weeks.

Son is back.

Gbear wrote: »
    That logic only works if you think there's a mean to which either we or Spurs are going to dramatically regress to.

You can see it with City. They just have so much quality.

You can't with Spurs. They're not going to get significantly more PPG. They're on course for 83 pts and are now missing 2 of their best 4 attacking players for weeks.

And they still have to play us and City away.

Even if we suffer a sort of collapse at this point, it's difficult to imagine us finishing on any fewer than 90 pts (going from 2.5 -> 2ppg). City could match that. Spurs cannot get 39/45. They're just not a good enough team, or more importantly, squad.

It's been clear for months that Spurs weren't at the level required, and nothing has happened to improve their chances lately.

Spurs could look at playing US and City as a chance to catch up ,

There next 3 games are winnable and at home, after that players will be back or close to back , there in with a shout without a doubt,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

mosstin wrote: »
    Son is back.

He is. Still remains to be seen how they'll cope without Kane for a month or so.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    He is. Still remains to be seen how they'll cope without Kane for a month or so.

He's a massive addition given that Llorente looked like being their only other option. Remarkable how parsimonious Levy is when they've got themselves into this position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Is VVD fit for tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Dare to dream.... day before the Hillsborough anniversary....get to 96 points to clinch the league. T'would be a thing of utter beauty.

Anyway, enough dreaming- we're 3rd favourites after City and spurs after all:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Slattsy wrote: »
    Is VVD fit for tonight?

Should be, he trained normally this week I'm pretty sure.

Spurs could look at playing US and City as a chance to catch up ,

There next 3 games are winnable and at home, after that players will be back or close to back , there in with a shout without a doubt,

No, because they're not good enough to match the ppg across all the other games.

Presumably Chelsea are in with a shout as well? Sure they're only 4 more points behind, and they have to play both of us as well?

No. It's not about saying 9 isn't a big number. It's about looking at how a team has performed and projecting what they're capable of. Spurs aren't about to go Super Saiyann and win 12 games on the bounce. They do not have the quality , or more importantly, the depth for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Paul Tomkins throwing shade at everyone.

https://twitter.com/paul_tomkins/status/1090585516129611777
    Note to Pochettino: You're doing amazingly well on your budget, but if you'd, say, sold Eriksen for £142m you could have bought 2 or 3 players with the money. Liverpool sold Coutinho to improve the team as a whole. Nothing like the way City or United just spend money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

mosstin wrote: »
    Don't think it's remotely possible for an English club to win both, not least because the PL make absolutely zero allowances for clubs involved in the CL.

United did it, twice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

robwen wrote: »

You couldn't even blame Maguire on the second, he just did him. But two beautiful reverse passes to set him up. That all comes from those one-touch routines they work on all the time. Get the ball to the next guy quickly and however you have to, while under pressure...

Maguire's fit for tonight right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If we win it I'm naming my first born Jurgen.

She's 12 and it'll take a bit of explaining to the wife, but sure fcuk it.

8-10 wrote: »
    Maguire's fit for tonight right?

Leicester fan on TIA said he thinks Puel will start Morgan even if Maguire is fit. Hopefully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Today is a great day!

sideswipe wrote: »
    Dare to dream.... day before the Hillsborough anniversary....get to 96 points to clinch the league. T'would be a thing of utter beauty.

Anyway, enough dreaming- we're 3rd favourites after City and spurs after all:D

Im afraid we can only have a maximum of 93 points by date

Working tonight I think I might have to take a toilet break with my phone between 8pm and 10pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I still think it's mad how many people are handing us the league / calling it done after last night.

At least wait until what happens tonight!

Even then, if we did win tonight, it's 7 points and it's arguably the greatest team ever seen in the premier league chasing us down!

Last night was huge undoubtedly.

But for me it's only gone from something very close to a 50/50 shout to us now unarguably being favourites (only if we don't drop points tonight). That's a huge shift definitely, but not at all "one hand on the trophy" stuff.

There's a long way to go in this title race, there's about 4 or 5 players in our squad whose injuries could be devastating, especially if we were to get more than one at a time.

Next few fixtures could definitely shift this - hopeful that City will struggle with their condensed fixtures against tough opposition with their heads hopefully down and that we can remain consistent in our on-paper "easy" fixtures. But there's no guarantees, we've arguably rode our luck a couple of times, variance might catch us and we have to accept the possibility of dropping points against weaker opposition. There's no guarantee that we don't come out of this little run of game with our points total not nibbled into and then you could have a momentum shift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

no-one seriously believes the league is wrapped up other than the deluded or the malevolent.
    4 points clear in January is hardly a done deal.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    no-one seriously believes the league is wrapped up other than the deluded or the malevolent.
    4 points clear in January is hardly a done deal.

But a win tonight its 7 in FEB ?????????

Very nervous for tonight I hope we score early

I hope we score after 24 seconds.

Won't lose then would we.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think VVD will pull through from illness and start anyways, thankfully, as I don't think I'd trust Matip & Lovren in such a big game, up against Vardy. Not sure whether it'll be Matip or Lovren at the back but I think it could well be Matip. I'd say Gini should be OK to start too. Hendo, Gini, front 3 and then either Keita or Shaqiri is the last one.

Leicester are going to sit deep with 3 and counter into their LW so much.

TAA Gomez Milner all out, so it's either going to be the schoolboy winger Camacho playing RB or else Fabinho. I would nearly rather 2 Fabinho's cos I think he is a big player now in midfield and would prefer him there but would prefer him over Camacho too in such a big game. Also given that we are at home and Palace clearly targetted our weakened RB area on the counter the last day with Zaha & PVA, and to a degree Schlupp and got some joy out of it, Leicester are going to do the exact same again. All of their most dangerous players hang to the left hand side of the pitch - Chilwell at LB, Maddison will play off of the LW with 3 holders behind him and then Vardy likes to play on the left hand side too. Given we are playing either our 4th or 5th choice RB, Leicester will definitely just try to play on the counter attack into that channel. Vardy has some serious record against us too. 7 goals in 8 games against us.

i think we'll win it alright, but maybe conceding once, to Vardy no doubt!

But a win tonight its 7 in FEB ?????????

Tonight is our 24th game of the season. We were 8 points behind after 24 games in 2013/14 and we kept going to be top with a couple of games to go

Even if it goes to a 7pt gap City aren't going anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

City still favourites imo, and if Liverpool slip up tonight they'll be everyone's favourites, so saying it's over makes no sense.

Liverpool are in a great position. The goal now is the gain and maintain a 7 point gap for long enough that city, with fixture congestion and European football back in swing, decide to put most of their eggs in the champions league basket. If they narrow it before that they will be sniffing blood and not switching focus anywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

City still favourites imo, and if Liverpool slip up tonight they'll be everyone's favourites, so saying it's over makes no sense.

Liverpool are in a great position. The goal now is the gain and maintain a 7 point gap for long enough that city, with fixture congestion and European football back in swing, decide to put most of their eggs in the champions league basket. If they narrow it before that they will be sniffing blood and not switching focus anywhere else.

Fully agree with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Fully agree with this.

:pac:

Nah Liverpool are currently favourites but so were City at multiple times this season.

It's a long auld slog. 15 games to go x 90mins + stoppage time = 24hrs of football

You're going to spend a full day of your life watching Liverpool's premier league games between now and the end of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

8-10 wrote: »
    Nah Liverpool are currently favourites but so were City at multiple times this season.

It's a long auld slog. 15 games to go x 90mins + stoppage time = 24hrs of football

You're going to spend a full day of your life watching Liverpool's premier league games between now and the end of the season

and about another 14 weeks worth of time thinking about games, formations, line ups, permutations and worse-case scenario-ing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I hope we score after 24 seconds.

Won't lose then would we.

I hope we score from a quick free kick, where the ref indicated to wait for the whistle and the free kick was won from a salah dive and it's scored in an offside positions by mane with his hand and mane should have been sent off but only got a yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

FitzShane wrote: »
    I think VVD will pull through from illness and start anyways, thankfully, as I don't think I'd trust Matip & Lovren in such a big game, up against Vardy. Not sure whether it'll be Matip or Lovren at the back but I think it could well be Matip. I'd say Gini should be OK to start too. Hendo, Gini, front 3 and then either Keita or Shaqiri is the last one.

Leicester are going to sit deep with 3 and counter into their LW so much.

TAA Gomez Milner all out, so it's either going to be the schoolboy winger Camacho playing RB or else Fabinho. I would nearly rather 2 Fabinho's cos I think he is a big player now in midfield and would prefer him there but would prefer him over Camacho too in such a big game. Also given that we are at home and Palace clearly targetted our weakened RB area on the counter the last day with Zaha & PVA, and to a degree Schlupp and got some joy out of it, Leicester are going to do the exact same again. All of their most dangerous players hang to the left hand side of the pitch - Chilwell at LB, Maddison will play off of the LW with 3 holders behind him and then Vardy likes to play on the left hand side too. Given we are playing either our 4th or 5th choice RB, Leicester will definitely just try to play on the counter attack into that channel. Vardy has some serious record against us too. 7 goals in 8 games against us.

i think we'll win it alright, but maybe conceding once, to Vardy no doubt!

I would Camacho the game tonight and play Fabinho in the CM with Gini and Hendo.

Hendo right side to cover Camacho early doors.

Leicester have young, light and energetic wide men. Seems ideal for Camacho but Klopp nows best, he has seen him against Salah, Mane etc..

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I hope we score from a quick free kick, where the ref indicated to wait for the whistle and the free kick was won from a salah dive and it's scored in an offside positions by mane with his hand and mane should have been sent off but only got a yellow.

And Big Jurgen running the length of the pitch to give Allison a hug would be the cherry on top :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Chilwell will be up and down that flank similar to how Robbo plays for us.
    That's a tough as k for Camacho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I really am not comfortable with Camacho playing RB for us tbh. Positioning and defensive capabilities leave a lot to be desired, imo.

Being at home will hopefully help mitigate it though, if it does come down to him starting.

Knex. wrote: »
    I really am not comfortable with Camacho playing RB for us tbh. Positioning and defensive capabilities leave a lot to be desired, imo.

Being at home will hopefully help mitigate it though, if it does come down to him starting.

Surley its Fab at right back , Gini, Hendo Shaq in midfield ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

So you’re the unbearable Liverpool fan upsetting every fan of every other team.

Good stuff, I’m a big fan of your work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Expect a high scoring game again tonight. Gonna go with 4-2 to Liverpool.

A boring 2-0 with a goal midway through each half.

That'd do nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Add in Vardy rounding Alisson inside the box and being taken down after 10 mins. Free kick given and only a yellow card.

Free kick is saved by Alisson who smacks it downfield for a counter from which we score.

We are Liverpool, tra la la la la. The worst football fans in the land.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement