Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

LOL love that lads agreeing with neville a few months ago saying we should drop out of the champions league to take a good crack at the league now coming in telling us we should of took that more seriously to suit the agenda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Telling that the most anguish over the result is coming from supporters of other teams. The FA Cup has joined other national cup competitions as a second tier priority that isn't really worth devoting your full attention or efforts to until the semi-finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

awec wrote: »
    Mad how we have only won 1 trophy in 13 years, yet the club and a lot of fans are turning their noses up at the FA cup. What if come May we haven't won the league or the CL
    Yea I can't agree with this idea that we're somehow above the FA cup at all. It's delusional. You can bet many of those writing it off as some sort of distraction would be celebrating in May and bigging it up if we won it.

When you haven't won a trophy in as long as we have you aren't in a position to think you're above any silverware. Even a league cup would be welcome at this stage.

Football all about winning trophies. No medals for coming second. Klopp obviously happy to put all the eggs in the CL and PL baskets. Can't agree with his approach toward the FA cup at all to be honest.

Disagree completely. If we hadn’t gone through to last 16 in Europe or we were off the pace in the race for the league maybe but talking like that this season is mental.

It’s very simple, someone like VVD cannot play every game in December and January. So would you rest him in the league vs Brighton? Guys like Firmino, Salah, Becker are essential to us. They need rest and we cannot afford injuries to them. We’re not city, we have about 15 players to try to win this title and an injury to a one or two key players could derail it.

I wouldn’t be jumping off the table if we beat arsenal or someone in the FA Cup final by the way. I don’t think Arsenal’s 3/4 FA cups are any consolation to FAM and the boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Anyone know where was Lallana ?
    Game coyld have done with him starting , surley he will leave in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

superg wrote: »
    So would most but nobody knows if either will happen in January so you have to prioritise or get a bigger squad with more quality in depth.

Win the games that are in front of you or at least try, it's the fa cup third Rd and we're out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Ardent

Anyone know where was Lallana ?
    Game coyld have done with him starting , surley he will leave in the summer

Very good question, completely forgot about him. Disappointing if he leaves, he was amazing in Klopp's first season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

While it was a rocket of a goal, I thought Mig was late in getting set.
    Moreno ....just a waste of a Jersey.
    Keita.....either he's not fit or that was as bad as I've seen him play in a few years.
    Sturridge......get did once cover is brought in, preferably this month.
    Shaq....fantastic free kick.......absolute cóck apart from that.
    Milner tried at least and did well in parts of the second half, unlucky/poor for the opener.
    Origi took his goal very well and was mobile enough to track back,moir first half aswell.
    Young fellas, will learn from it, adding 1 or 2 to a team is fine. Changing the entire team and then adding the schoolboys is not fair in them at all.

I am very confident the first team will turn up v Brighton on Saturday, put in a commanding performance and maintain our 4 point lead at the top, that is of course the most I important thing. Tonight will hopefully be forgotten quickly if that happens.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Telling that the most anguish over the result is coming from supporters of other teams. The FA Cup has joined other national cup competitions as a second tier priority that isn't really worth devoting your full attention or efforts to until the semi-finals.
    Teams that win lots of trophies can think like this. Liverpool are not one.

Honestly, where have these notions come from? We haven't won so much as a raffle in 7 years. We've won the square root of fcuk all under Klopp.

If the competition is as piss poor as some make out on here should be strolling to an easy trophy and finally a winners medal of some sort for this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Earlier in the season I really really wanted us to give a good solid tilt at both domestic cups. But at that point I didn't think we had a fiddler's at winning - or even challenging - for the league. So for this year, given where we are, I'm grand with anything that improves our chances.

Can only hope City go far in all 3 of their cups and get stretched a little thin.

Fully agreed - we have bigger fish to fry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Ardent wrote: »
    Very good question, completely forgot about him. Disappointing if he leaves, he was amazing in Klopp's first season.

That was a while ago, injuries have taken their toll. Needs to be replaced at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

We have one fit centre half currently. End of story.

Everyone said a month ago that this tie would be tricky because it was away to a good side and 4 days after we play City. It was always going to be a significantly weakened team. Not sure where all the surprise is coming from all of a sudden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

shamrock55 wrote:
    Win the games that are in front of you or at least try, it's the fa cup third Rd and we're out

There's no chance he put the team out to lose but he had to rest lads who have just played 9 games in a little over a month and it showed cos the one he didn't rest gets injured after 5 minutes.

If you want to take issue I'd take issue with the myriad of senior players who absolutely turned it in tonight, probably cos they know their LFC careers are over. Says a lot when a 16 year old is the best player out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sturridge was good 5 years ago.

Lallana was good 3 years ago.

They won't be good again for Liverpool on any consistent level even in a one game basic.

We need to move on from them and probably should have moved on from them last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I'll be more upset if we lose on Saturday, says it all for me how I feel about the FA cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

:) nice to see the usual ones trying to rub it in when most Liverpool fans don't care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭tinpib

We have 3 more games in January. City have 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Lets ve fair if we do some how win the Prem on noe will care a bit

Again very worried about Keita he just hasnt arrived the same man from Germany , Fab was great and in my opinion looks a strong character

I think reality showed tonight and what it showed is that we don't have the squad for a three pronged attack for honours right now. You could see from Klopp's expressions that he wanted to win tonight so I absolutely believe he picked that team in good faith, he just didn't get the performance he wanted from too many players....one of them you highlighted.

Lovren getting struck down by some magical intervention is a good indicator that what Klopp did tonight was necessary unfortunately.

I'll be more upset if we lose on Saturday, says it all for me how I feel about the FA cup

Saturdays game is much more important than tonight's game was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Lallana was good 3 years ago.

He wasnt even in the squad you bully you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Honestly, where have these notions come from? We haven't won so much as a raffle in 7 years. We've won the square root of fcuk all under Klopp.

If the competition is as piss poor as some make out on here should be strolling to an easy trophy and finally a winners medal of some sort for this team.

Winning the league is the big one. Nothing else matters. FA cup, league cup, even the Champions League, none of these compares to winning the league. We want it and have wanted it since 1991. And we are so close to finally ending this drought. I'm glad we're out of this cup. Our focus is and always should be on the league.

• Advertisement

superg wrote: »
    There's no chance he put the team out to lose but he had to rest lads who have just played 9 games in a little over a month and it showed cos the one he didn't rest gets injured after 5 minutes.

If you want to take issue I'd take issue with the myriad of senior players who absolutely turned it in tonight, probably cos they know their LFC careers are over. Says a lot when a 16 year old is the best player out there.
    Yea this is fair.

I just take issue with people pretending they don't care. I bet every single person saying they aren't bothered would be celebrating an FA Cup win if it ever happens.

This "we've other things to focus on" mentality is bollocks, as if we're some sort of mickey mouse team with no expectations of winning things.

"I'm glad we're out of it" and the like. I've never heard so much small time, embarrassing thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I understand the frustration but I'll give Klopp the benefit of the doubt. Think he's earned it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liam O wrote: »
    Hahaha, yeah it's big bad United's fault. Might want to fact check on that one btw.

It was an awful decision from Klopp tonight to go with his 2nd string. City are going for a quadruple and to win everything they can. I can't believe that Klopp would allow any kind of losers mentality to form like that, especially as a former cup winner with Dortmund himself. I almost said so in here earlier that he would surely have more respect than that given he's now set himself up as having to win the CL or league for questions not to be asked.

With plenty of time until the next game, 4 points ahead in league with so many games left and Bayern in the next CL game aren't situations to be throwing away a trophy. Especially given the length of time since anything was won. I'm very surprised he did it.

City drew oxford away and rotherham at home in the 3rd round of both domestic cups. Liverpool drew chelsea and wolves.Their is a huge difference there. Of all the top teams liverpool had by far the toughest draws. VVD the front 3 and robertson needed a breather. No complaints from me with the team selection it had to be done.

tinpib wrote: »

Ahh two of those are Burton so should not really effect Man City too much

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Awfully dissappointing that. So called experienced players let the side down big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Klopp will never say it clearly but he really doesn't care about the FA Cup and why should he? Look at the match schedule and look at what targets he sets or needs to reach

2016 - League Cup, Europa League
    2017 - Champions League qualification
    2018 - Champions League progress, Champions League qualification
    2019 - Premier League title, Champions League progress

The FA Cup is a bloody nuisance in January as are replays - if it was 90 mins + penos every round he'd take it more seriously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Blondie919 wrote: »
    Winning the league is the big one. Nothing else matters. FA cup, league cup, even the Champions League, none of these compares to winning the league. We want it and have wanted it since 1991. And we are so close to finally ending this drought. I'm glad we're out of this cup. Our focus is and always should be on the league.

How dare you have such high aims.

Mr.H wrote: »
    He wasnt even in the squad you bully you

I would have preferred him on the pitch to Sturridge.

Even if all he was 20 Lallana turns it would have been more than Sturridge did while he was on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Both Man Utd and Chelsea sacked their managers in recent years straight after winning FA Cup. Wenger winning FA Cups didn't stop the moaning from the Arsenal supporters.

Its been massively devalued.
    And what?

We haven't won a trophy in ages. We're above nothing.

If we wins the league or champions league he'll be vindicated. Otherwise, it's just going to be yet another trophyless season. Coming second won't make up for that.

More nonsense. You’re the only one saying we’re above anything.

He doesn’t need to win to be vindicated. You make the best decision for the good of the team at the time and then see what happens.

• Advertisement

Klopp doesn't do January.

tinpib wrote: »

This is what it means that we don't have the cup to worry about anymore. This is brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,713 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Klopp doesn't do January.

He better start next Saturday :)

Lets be honest here. It sucks we lost but in two weeks we wont care. I would love to win anything at all but disappointment with these cups is very little.

Tonight the selection didnt cost us. Players not performing didnt cost us. Lack of center backs did! We had lovren ffs. Lovren alone with moreno at full back and migs......... and we didnt expect defensive issues?

We have now only 2 fit center backs. We need to sign someone.

A league cup or an FA Cup does not a good season make. Give me fourth place over either of them and I'd take it. The fact is that both domestic cup competitions have been devalued in the past couple of decades, they're less important and winning them isn't a sign of a truly successful team and/or manager.

Winning the FA Cup wasn't enough to keep Louis Van Gaal in a job because it's a lesser competition now. It's up there with the Copa Del Rey now and while it would be nice to progress, I haven't been this ambivalent about a Liverpool defeat in a long, long time.

Okay but they still have to use their squad players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Stick to the rugby son, you haven’t a clue what you’re talking about.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yea this is fair.

I just take issue with people pretending they don't care. I bet every single person saying they aren't bothered would be celebrating an FA Cup win if it ever happens.

This "we've other things to focus on" mentality is bollocks, as if we're some sort of mickey mouse team with no expectations of winning things.

"I'm glad we're out of it" and the like. I've never heard so much small time, embarrassing thinking.

To quote yourself.

This is 100% pure and utter scutter.

Raisins wrote: »
    More nonsense. You’re the only one saying we’re above anything.

He doesn’t need to win to be vindicated. You make the best decision for the good of the team at the time and then see what happens.
    And then live with the consequences.

If we end this season trophyless it's a failure. As I said before, no medals for coming second, and medals trump all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

For all the talk of second string, there was what 8 or 9 full internationals out there starting that cost almost £180m to assemble.

6 of that starting lineup started against Burnley away a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Lets be honest here. It sucks we lost but in two weeks we wont care. I would love to win anything at all but disappointment with these cups is very little.

Tonight the selection didnt cost us. Players not performing didnt cost us. Lack of center backs did! We had lovren ffs. Lovren alone with moreno at full back and migs......... and we didnt expect defensive issues?

Lovren came off after 6 minutes and you're blaming him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭tinpib

It disrupts them. Pep still has to go the games and sit ont he bench, there is all the ritual and routine around preparing for them along with travel/logistics, opposition analysis everything.

Liverpool have more time on the training ground, more preparation time and more rest. No excuses anyway, we need the 9 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

So a simple question then. Would you be happy going out of Europe in the 2nd round and coming 2nd in the league which are not beyond the realms of possibility by any stretch?

Of course there will be some vindication if you win the league and Klopp teams do suffer burnout in 2nd halves of seasons but it's a lot of eggs to be putting in the baskets of beating Bayern Munich and finishing ahead of Man City.

Hahaha, yeah it's big bad United's fault. Might want to fact check on that one btw.

It was an awful decision from Klopp tonight to go with his 2nd string. City are going for a quadruple and to win everything they can. I can't believe that Klopp would allow any kind of losers mentality to form like that, especially as a former cup winner with Dortmund himself. I almost said so in here earlier that he would surely have more respect than that given he's now set himself up as having to win the CL or league for questions not to be asked.

With plenty of time until the next game, 4 points ahead in league with so many games left and Bayern in the next CL game aren't situations to be throwing away a trophy. Especially given the length of time since anything was won. I'm very surprised he did it.

Same as what Klopp has done every other season in the FA Cup and rotated the squad, the team tonight was shocking yes but understandable when you look at a bigger picture, sure other pundits said he should throw away the Champions League when they lost 2 away games in that earlier this season so what is the difference then to now with the FA Cup?

Man City have a far bigger and better squad so yes why not go for everything in that view. Liverpool have a very good first 11 but are still building a squad to compete with Man City in 4 comps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,713 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Blondie919 wrote: »
    This is what it means that we don't have the cup to worry about anymore. This is brilliant!

City made 9 changes as well, we need to stay lucky with injuries. Been ok so far despite centre half situation. Definitely not worth the risk of the strongest 11 tonight. Very disappointing display by some senior fringe players.

Agreed. Anyone know of any names we should be looking out for? They don't have to be world-beaters, just as long as they are an upgrade on Lovren. Even Klavan was better than Lovren at times!

So a simple question then. Would you be happy going out of Europe in the 2nd round and coming 2nd in the league which are not beyond the realms of possibility by any stretch?

Of course there will be some vindication if you win the league and Klopp teams do suffer burnout in 2nd halves of seasons but it's a lot of eggs to be putting in the baskets of beating Bayern Munich and finishing ahead of Man City.
    We need to win something and soon.

Still in the hunt for 2 this season, so lots to play for, but the faux-celebration on here of going out of 1 is a bit embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Same as what Klopp has done every other season in the FA Cup and rotated the squad, the team tonight was shocking yes but understandable when you look at a bigger picture, sure other pundits said he should throw away the Champions League when they lost 2 away games in that earlier this season so what is the difference then to now with the FA Cup?

Man City have a far bigger and better squad so yes why not go for everything in that view. Liverpool have a very good first 11 but are still building a squad to compete with Man City in 4 comps

City got a better draw which also helps. Most of the top 6 would struggle to win away at wolves as the league has shown. All the top teams rotated but they had the luck of the draw. We didnt on this occassion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Calling it faux celebration is probably more embarrassing.

We need to win something and soon.

Still in the hunt for 2 this season, so lots to play for, but the faux-celebration on here of going out of 1 is a bit embarrassing.

There's no faux-celebration, just a pragmatism that of the four competitions we're involved in this season, two of them are clearly worth prioritising over the other two. If that means that the two lesser domestic cups are sacrificed, then so be it.

Winning the FA Cup at the expense of the league and/or Champions League would not represent a good season.

The whole "we need to win something and soon" thing is nonsense. Winning the League Cup or the FA Cup means very little these days. They're secondary competitions and lifting one of them wouldn't turn a bad season into a good one.

Lovren came off after 6 minutes and you're blaming him?

Yes

Lol no of course not. Its just funny that three of the main back 5 were the players that made our defence weak before this season. My only point is an obvious one. We lack center backs. All the talk of the turkish messi or american figo. We need a center back not an attacker.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement