Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Jan wasn't great. If we have a Feb like it we could be in trouble, but with 1st choice players coming back and actually having a fit defence again will help massively. I get the negativity and its warranted to an extent, but I wont be over reacting just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

tony1980 wrote: »
    The fans really need to cop on in the stadium too. I could feel the tension here at home. I think this really affected the players and they were making silly mistakes at the back or losing the ball in the middle giving Leicester a chance at a dangerous counter. I really think the fans need to be even louder when things aren’t going right, it’s really feeding into the team when they are like this!
    Are you serious? The tension was there because the players weren't performing and Leicester were creating chances. As if it's the fans fault that Robbo had a brain-fart, losing the ball and then a dumb tackle.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Shout out for some of Matip's very incisive forward passing cutting through the midfield jam. Did it a couple of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Not really been mentioned but what gives me succour is the fact that City lost a really average PL side last night and they seem occasionally prone to those performances. We, on the other hand, have been mostly ruthless against all opposition this year. City have a couple of more defeats left in them this season for sure. Hopefully we have fewer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Pitch was horrendous too another hame out of the way 5 points is a decent lead I would pay big money to watch matip ice skating😂😂

Are you serious? The tension was there because the players weren't performing and Leicester were creating chances. As if it's the fans fault that Robbo had a brain-fart, losing the ball and then a dumb tackle.

The crowd was awful. They're there to create an atmosphere not sit back and wait to be entertained, especially at this stage of the season. How many times have they been mentioned by players in the aftermath of big European comebacks? Tonight, they sat on their hands and waited.

mosstin wrote: »
    The crowd was awful. They're there to create an atmosphere not sit back and wait to be entertained, especially at this stage of the season. How many times have they been mentioned by players in the aftermath of big European comebacks? Tonight, they sat on their hands and waited.
    Yeah, the reason we dropped two points, the crowd. Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Not really been mentioned but what gives me succour is the fact that City lost a really average PL side last night and they seem occasionally prone to those performances. We, on the other hand, have been mostly ruthless against all opposition this year. City have a couple of more defeats left in them this season for sure. Hopefully we have fewer.

Yeah we've lost one game this year and it was to City, they've lost to Leicester, Palace, and now Newcastle, while going 1-0 up in all 3 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Can’t complain about extending the lead by a point.

Moreno-esque from Robertson to give away the free in the lead up to their goal.

Henderson had all the room in the world and Leicester didn’t care because he was so dull in attack. Wasn’t too bad defence wise bar the stupid play that got Matip booked.

Sturridge obviously seen his name in the headlines with the ballooned shot, other than that his contribution was a handball to mess up a decent chance at a counter.

I find it hard to take complaints about the crowd seriously when we're watching from our sitting rooms and chatting on an internet forum while those fans are actually at the stadium.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the reason we dropped two points, the crowd. Jesus.

Where have I said that? Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Problem having a macbook, no acestream.....

I know I'm way late but doesn't Soda Player work on Macs? I don't have a Mac but I'm pretty sure it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I don’t get lallana any more he sticks out like a sore thumb on this team thought it was an awful decision by Klopp to bring him on

I find it hard to take complaints about the crowd seriously when we're watching from our sitting rooms and chatting on an internet forum while those fans are actually at the stadium.

If we were to extend that to its logical conclusion then we'd certainly not be entitled to criticise professional footballers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No idea why Sturridge came on either.

No idea why Sturridge came on either.

Don't worry, 40 more shots like that and he'll score another like he did against Chelsea.

Where have I said that? Jesus.

What do you want the crowd to do? They got behind the team at the start of the second half and we were static and slow. It's down to the players and the manager to perform after a long rest and time to prepare for this game; that didn't happen.
    Bitching about the crowd. Get over there yourself if you feel it has such an input. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Yeh I don't get the whole the crowd played a part thing, 90% of the time the atmosphere is awful and we usually win so I don't think it's that much of a factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I think we just need to take a calm breath. Could we have lost? Sure. Should we have had a penalty? Most definitely. Should we have played against 10 men when 1-0 up? Probably.

I don't think we should underestimate the pressure the players were under to go 7 points clear. That City lost unexpectedly last night added a different kind of pressure to the players and the crowd. I am sure they will learn from this and with better refereeing we will hopefully be back on track with our next game. We are still 5 points clear and with City having a tricky stretch and consecutive games as a result of playing for 4 trophies still we are doing fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Chesty08 wrote: »
    It’s the manner. Everything in favour to go out with the right attitude, energy etc... id much prefer to have lost playing without fear than to have gained a point and shown all signs of weaknesses (like Palace)

The thing that wasnt in our favour was the conditions. The ball couldnt be moved quickly. Thats going to favour the the team that doesnt have the ball. It played a huge part in the performance.

What do you want the crowd to do? They got behind the team at the start of the second half and we were static and slow. It's down to the players and the manager to perform after a long rest and time to prepare for this game; that didn't happen.
    Bitching about the crowd. Get over there yourself if you feel it has such an input. Ridiculous.

I go 4 times a season and sing my head off. Can't do much more.

Last complaint from me (maybe(probably not)) but the offside calls in this game were amateur, one of these called while the other isn't, and they're both wrong.

Screenshot-2019-01-30-at-22-51-57.png

Screenshot-2019-01-30-at-22-57-11.png

Last complaint from me (maybe(probably not)) but the offside calls in this game were amateur, one of these called while the other isn't, and they're both wrong.

Screenshot-2019-01-30-at-22-51-57.png

Screenshot-2019-01-30-at-22-57-11.png

The non-penalty call bugs me the more I see it. His positioning was actually excellent but he bottled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    no way, its all about the points

In the grand scheme after tonight, the gap has got bigger and less games to play

Psychology that match was worth much more than a point.

Deliver a performance tonight & City are on the back foot. Deliver what they did, City will be pumped & players will begin to question. There was mistakes all over the place. As I said cracks were appearing against Palace, tonight was a night to deliver a real performance

The non-penalty call bugs me the more I see it. His positioning was actually excellent but he bottled it.

It's inexcusable, and the fact that BT had an in-studio ref on to say Atkinson made the right call and that Keita was going down before the contact anyway is hilarious.

• Advertisement

Psychology that match was worth much more than a point.

Deliver a performance tonight & City are on the back foot. Deliver what they did, City will be pumped & players will begin to question. There was mistakes all over the place. As I said cracks were appearing against Palace, tonight was a night to deliver a real performance

City will be pumped? They lost to Newcastle last night I doubt they're celebrating Liverpool drawing with Leicester. They can focus on their own shortcomings first.

The thing that wasnt in our favour was the conditions. The ball couldnt be moved quickly. Thats going to favour the the team that doesnt have the ball. It played a huge part in the performance.

Agree to an extent but the willingness to break quick wasn’t there. Leicester did commit men forward & when it was broken down, to often it went forward then back. No runners anywhere. Mane was best & willing all night. Shaqiri May aswell as sat on the bench, Offered zero

Need to get TAA and Gomez back and start Fabinho again which presumably he will next game. Someone mentioned that Shaqiri is much more effective as a sub and it looks like that is true.

City will be pumped? They lost to Newcastle last night I doubt they're celebrating Liverpool drawing with Leicester. They can focus on their own shortcomings first.

You really think they aren’t celebrating Liverpool drawing? Psychology that’s massive Liverpool slipping up straigh after them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Still feel like we haven't been able to replace Coutinho's creativity and guile for games like these. We've got all kinds and pace and running from midfield and in attack now but that's only going to get you so far against against a team that's happy to sit back in numbers and soak up pressure.

• Advertisement

Still feel like we haven't been able to replace Coutinho's creativity and guile for games like these. We've got all kinds and pace and running from midfield and in attack now but that's only going to get you so far against against a team that's happy to sit back in numbers and soak up pressure.

We had far more draws and losses in games exactly like this with Coutinho in the side than we've had without him since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

I’m 100% serious!! I’m not the only one either. Commentators and Analysts mentioned it too. We need to be getting behind them more when the players aren’t performing as well. I never said it caused Robertson’s brain fart.

It definitely didn’t help the players and we can say they are professionals and things like that shouldn’t affect them all we like but it definitely feeds into the players and causes more nerves which can lead to silly mistakes or poor passes. It certainly can do no harm if the crowd try give them a lift during tough periods in a game.

Anyway, I think it is still a good point considering Leicester’s results against the other big teams. I think we were very unlucky with that penalty decision but we were also very lucky they didn’t score when the ball should have been squared to Maddison.

I was just looking at Spurs home form. My God, it’s shocking! If they had even a slightly better home record, they would be right there with us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

We had far more draws and losses in games exactly like this with Coutinho in the side than we've had without him since.

I think Shaq might be far better coming on as an impact sub when players are tiring but you have to give Leicester credit, their shape was excellent tonight and they made it very difficult to get any space. On a couple of occasions, you could see what Keita is capable of with his driving runs or one twos into the box and it almost paid off with that chance where he was fouled.

Because we're much better as a team now, but we're still missing that individual spark of brilliance that can break down or catch out a defence. It's probably the hardest thing in the game to replace too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

We need what we all know we need, more quality attackers! In those games we need to be able to have five potential goalscorers on for the last 15/20 minutes. We had only two on for the last 10, Salah and Mane, no real belief any of the others would get it.

All the best teams can look to the bench and throw more attackers on, Ferguson always had the options, the best Chelsea team had it and City have it now.

Fromvert wrote: »
    We need what we all know we need, more quality attackers! In those games we need to be able to have five potential goalscorers on for the last 15/20 minutes. We had only two on for the last 10, Salah and Mane, no real belief any of the others would get it.

All the best teams can look to the bench and throw more attackers on, Ferguson always had the options, the best Chelsea team had it and City have it now.

We didn't have it today but Shaqiri came off the bench and won the game vs United, Origi the same vs Everton, Sturridge vs Chelsea. Shaqiri also came on and put the game away vs Burnley at 2-1 right after they had a huge chance.

Our bench production has actually been quite good this season.

Fromvert wrote: »

We know it's going to be an area for investment - with Sturridge out of contract and Origi certain to follow. It may not be Timo Werner but someone like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Thank you! Saved my typing it.

Jesus, it reads so terribly.

I'm terribly disappointed and I worry its the lack of killer instinct here that might kill us...

But..

What a season so far.

We know it's going to be an area for investment - with Sturridge out of contract and Origi certain to follow. It may not be Timo Werner but someone like him.

Part of me wouldn't mind seeing a big target man too - a Giroud for example. Someone who'd be alright with sitting on the bench and getting 20 minutes a game when Plan A wasn't working.

Part of me wouldn't mind seeing a big target man too - a Giroud for example. Someone who'd be alright with sitting on the bench and getting 20 minutes a game when Plan A wasn't working.

Maybe a Rickie Lambert, Mario Balotelli, Christian Benteke type. :pac:

shudders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

We didn't have it today but Shaqiri came off the bench and won the game vs United, Origi the same vs Everton, Sturridge vs Chelsea. Shaqiri also came on and put the game away vs Burnley at 2-1 right after they had a huge chance.

Our bench production has actually been quite good this season.

We've gotten a few this year but only Shaqiri is probably at the level to think he can get a goal when coming from the bench regularly. Anyone think Lallana would do something? And even as much as I like Sturridge he just doesn't have it. They're just not going to offer it in enough games.

Once we get past the big three, there's too much of a drop off to the rest. Milner and Shaq and even Sturridge have helped this year but too many are on 1 or 0 goal scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

The lack of patience and nervousness/anxiety from the crowd was very obvious this evening.

While no one should expect the fans to always create a good atmosphere... They should never contribute to a bad one. There were groans of impatience etc. on 60mins with the game 1 all. The anxiety was obvious. Has to affect the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

You really think they aren’t celebrating Liverpool drawing? Psychology that’s massive Liverpool slipping up straigh after them

They got zero points and played bad we got 1 point from playing bad yes its 5 instead of 7 but is also 5 points instead of 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Only seen the replay of Keita being fouled when through on goal...ref’s had a shocker there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Felt bad for Nabby, his chance was entirely his own making and he was through to score a crucial goal in front of the Kop and he got clipped. Ref had a perfect view of it, we got done.

More worrying is the defence this last two games. They threw up a lot of decent chances to Palace and Leicester. Even VVD was caught out of position for Maguires goal tonight. Need Trent and Gomez back asap to steady the ship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

This exactly!

Some people here going on about the fans being too anxious etc...how the fück can you tell from watching tv that the fans are anxious?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Mad to see that the issue at right back is having a domino effect on the whole team. We've been trying to plug that gap the last few games to the detriment of midfield. Milner, Hendo, fabinho, Camacho, even firmino! have all had a go there and because Keita isn't stepping up as he should be we're at a loss in the middle.
    That being said, and despite tonights result,
    I thought wijnaldum was excellent again ... He really has been a stand out performer all season. So underrated.
    5 points clear going into February. We'll take that! Big wake up call tonight though.
    Was very very disappointed with the crowd. Thought they'd be well up for it...we're going for the league ffs....first time in 29 years ... we're one up after two mins...where's the bedlam and pushing the team on from the stands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Most likely because Benitez is involved....people don’t want to admit that the game has passed him by even more than it has Mourinho.

This isn't just because of Newcastle's win last night - I totally disagree with this statement. Rafa has adapted very very well to the realities of lower table management. He plans the games he thinks he can get results in carefully, and sets the team up to hurt the opposition, and you can see that's where 90% of their points have come from.

He's got no money, a fairly poor squad, and is roundly loved by Newcastle fans for having them playing well above their level.

And even just looking at their play - he has them well drilled and organised at the back, but pressing high in key moments to nick goals on quick turnarounds, which they do a lot. Could have had a few more against City even, with that sudden high intensity high pressing. They don't do it all the time and waste their energy, but they pick their moments, and do it in unison perfectly.

Rafa is a smart, astute man, and for me still looks the best manager outside the top 6.

Owl. wrote: »
    I know I'm way late but doesn't Soda Player work on Macs? I don't have a Mac but I'm pretty sure it does.
    It works - but it was found a few months back that their software was pulling private user data and emails. They declined to explain why their software was doing this. The newest version has had this element removed, but for the most part users have stopped trusting them.

For tonights game, disappointing, but with how bad the pitch was I can somewhat accept the poor play.. Any closeups on the pitch showed just how bloody terrible it was. Still a point gained rather than 2 lost in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Could have been worse lads,expectations have been lowered shows how easy points are won/lost. Was it just me or was maguires goal very similiar to rondons yesterday.

Benitez for all his qualities is doing ****e against the other sides in the bottom 10

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Rafa is a smart, astute man, and for me still looks the best manager outside the top 6.

I'd say there are Championship clubs like Leeds, Sheff Utd, Norwich etc. that would look at how their managers are doing and say "no thanks" if Rafa knocked. Guess it's all opinion...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement