Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

A red for Maguire would have been harsh imo, I'd be fairly annoyed if it was one of ours. Naby's was a nailed on peno but wouldn't have guaranteed 3 pts.
    A good point in the end all things considered albeit a disappointing result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I don’t get lallana any more he sticks out like a sore thumb on this team thought it was an awful decision by Klopp to bring him on

What does it say about the performance of the midfield that Klopp felt he had to make that call with a decent amount of time left? We can dance around the subject and make Lallana a scapegoat if that's the easier thing to face sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I think we were lucky to emerge with a point.

Leicester could have, and possibly should have, scored another two and we were as poor as I've seen us all season.

The Keita penalty I wasn't convinced about in real-time and the ref doesn't have the benefit of slow-mo, multi-angle replays and as for the Maguire foul on Mane, only the most one-eyed would be calling that as a red.

The injuries are really hurting us at the moment. We need Gomez, TAA, Fab, Lovern and hopefully Ox all fully fit and back ASAP.

I think we actually missed Hendo in midfield last night and while Keita didn't stink the place out, he was largely disappointing.

Some crucial matches coming up. If one of either Chelsea or Arsenal can take a point at City I'd be delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I think football opinions have become way to reactionary with opinions these days. If a team wins 5 games in a row you laud their players as the best ever. If they start to struggle then all of a sudden that same player is useless and not worth anything.

Look at the examples of Morata and Jorginho at Chelsea, when Morata started out and was scoring and creating chances he was one of the most natural strikers and best fits for the team. Where is he now? Same with Jorginho, where he was the perfect fit and player for Chelsea. Once the team struggles and he doesn't do as well all of a sudden he is not worth anything close to his fee.

So anytime we lose or drop points we will view our players who didn't perform as we would have liked in a negative light. Firminho has been crap the whole season, what does Lallana offer? We forget the performances they did well with too quickly.

I am still not happy with the referee from last night though. I cannot wait for VAR to come in, even if it costs us some decisions where we would have gotten away with a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Yes it was a peno, but Keita should have shot earlier ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

It's inexcusable, and the fact that BT had an in-studio ref on to say Atkinson made the right call and that Keita was going down before the contact anyway is hilarious.

In fairness they went back to him in the studio after the game and he said he saw additional angles and changed his mind, says VAR would have called it a penalty for sure and ref got it wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Part of me wouldn't mind seeing a big target man too - a Giroud for example. Someone who'd be alright with sitting on the bench and getting 20 minutes a game when Plan A wasn't working.

I'd take Dzeko for a season...though there's reports he may have spat at a referee yesterday so if that's the case I wouldn't. But a player like that who has natural quality and experience. I think Giroud was a good signing for Chelsea for that reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Zak Flaps wrote:
    Some people here going on about the fans being too anxious etc...how the fück can you tell from watching tv that the fans are anxious?

Because we can hear them? It was obvious. Also mentioned by Pearce in his match report. And a few others beside and how it seemed to affect the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Thats the beginning of the slip now, I can see us falling out of the Top 4, beaten by Bayern and possibly in a relegation battle next season.

Klopp out, maybe bring in an ex player like Ronnie Rosenthal to steady the ship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

SlickRic wrote: »
    We weren't going to win every game, but that was fúcking shít.

I've never seen the front so static. Firmino had a shocker, and Leicester could just get away with double marking Salah.

Even with that, we should've blatantly had a penalty and been against 10 men. And Leicester got away with some amount of other nonsense too.

very difficult to play against two banks of four.... but yes there should have been better movement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

14 points ahead of fifth with 14 games left so we have some room to go on a bad run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Just deduct it from all the "penos" Salah was awarded this season

Lol all the peons that were awarded correctl, Liverpool should also have 2 extra points then for the perfect good goal ruled out v Arsenal

Oh you Liverpool fans never cease to amaze me, Salah has dived on numerous occasions and been awarded penos, and that's why Keita wasn't given the peno yesterday. No matter what you think, refs look back on these things and will try not to be fooled again. Which will result in pens that should have been given, waved away like last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just watching MOTD and I don't think we were bad at all. Good goal from Mane, two good saves against Bobby and a definite penalty on Kieta turned down. Another day and we win.

Robbo and VVD were poor for their goal though.

Lecister played well and defended really well.

What I did find odd though was the snow and ice. Slowed the ball up and looked like loads of players were losing their footing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Oh you Liverpool fans never cease to amaze me, Salah has dived on numerous occasions and been awarded penos, and that's why Keita wasn't given the peno yesterday. No matter what you think, refs look back on these things and will try not to be fooled again. Which will result in pens that should have been given, waved away like last night

Kieta wasn't given a penalty because of incompetence of the ref. The same reason Arsenal we're denied two on Tuesday. There is no other reason.

Edit: do you have clips to show these dived? Obviously you feel he conned the ref to win these penalties. I bet you'd see penalties given for very similar fouls most weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

And yet all Atkinson will read this morning is that he missed a possible red card and a obvious penalty. So in the next game we are getting a soft penalty again and then we miss an obvious one the game after. That is a shambles and for the "best" league in the world it really isn't good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Thud

How many times did Keita and Matip lose the ball? Both were poor last night.

It's not healthy to be looking to games in April etc.

We don't know -

If City will blow up again (probably)
    Injuries
    Champions league
    Other factors

We are 5 points ahead. We have players coming back. City have a tough match on Sunday. I would bet on a draw.

Look to the West Ham game and no further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

No idea why Sturridge came on either.

Especially as I thought Firmino was playing well. Getting on a lot of ball and laying it off.

Only think I can think of was himself and Lallana were on top of each other a little bit when Lallana came on, so maybe that had something to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

My thoughts

4 2 3 1 didn't work ,we should have went 4 4 3,

Firstly at the back the 2 CB could not split wide enough as there was no one player dropping between them , Normally our 6 in a 443 does this this then meant only one full back could push on at any one time, it was mostly Henderson , Robbo had to stay back ,

The knock on effect from that was Shaq but mostly Mane where picking up balls to wide almost as naturally wingers, Instead of between the full back and CB as inside forwards where they are best,

Also because of the double 6 we played either of Gini or Keita broke the line and moves forward as both where nervous about losing the ball and being caught out with the other one parallel , With one 6 in a 4 3 3 the two midfielders either side can break line and know they have the insurance of the 6 behind them to cover,

Because we had no midfielder breaking the lines it also felt our front 4 where there to early ( infront of the ball) , so it let Leicester sit in shape and not worry about the runners,

Anyway poor display not help by the weather and the ref but we move one point further ahead, lets just keep going and not panic,

We really need quick attackers off the bench its something we have lacked for some time,
    Everyone coming on is slow , we can't introduce anyone with pace if the front 3 aren't at there best,

Mane man of the match for me for his sheer effort,

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Kieta wasn't given a penalty because of incompetence of the ref. The same reason Arsenal we're denied two on Tuesday. There is no other reason.

Edit: do you have clips to show these dived? Obviously you feel he conned the ref to win these penalties. I bet you'd see penalties given for very similar fouls most weeks.

Please don't ask for this. It's not a discussion most of want to get into I would say. Keita not getting a penalty because Salah dives is a new one to me, so it's not worth getting into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

We barely got a penalty for years because refs hate to be thought of being swayed by the Anfield crowd. This is nothing new, and certainly not with Atkinson either.

Considering the circumstances with the weather, player fitness, opposition, I'm reasonably happy with the past few days. You have to be realistic sometimes.

We're an extra point ahead with a game less to be caught with.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

We increased our lead by a point last night, I'm happy with that given the conditions and that we were playing a midfielder at full back.
    I think the ball was an issue as well, you could see that players were bouncing it quite a bit to try loosen it up a bit.

It would have been nice to be more clinical in the first half with all the possession, but sure, it is what it is.

One think of note, Lalana was muck when he came on in my opinion.
    Sturridge didn't do much, but his first time getting the ball and taking a wild shot pee'd me off.

On to the next game.

Knex. wrote: »
    Especially as I thought Firmino was playing well. Getting on a lot of ball and laying it off.

Only think I can think of was himself and Lallana were on top of each other a little bit when Lallana came on, so maybe that had something to do with it.

I thought Bobby was not at the races last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Missed the game last night due to a work do and will watch MOTD tonight.

A lot of misplaced pessimism here.

Of course I’d have preferred a win but the fact is that we’re one point further ahead of City than we were on Tuesday morning and I would have been happy to have been told that then.

5 points ahead with 14 league games to go is an amazing position to be in.

Also, despite everybody thinking that City are fantastic favourites and will blow everyone away, whilst Liverpool will struggle, I look at the fact that City have lost four games out of the last ten whilst we have lost just one against City and that reads to me that the odds and form are in our favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

difficult conditions, 5 points ahead, nice one. We need an established midfielder. I expect city to drop points in their next couple of games, however we are leaving the door open and giving them hope!
    A win last night would of been huge. unfortunate. Hopefully all defenders will be fit soon, midfield is really worrying though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    The lack of patience and nervousness/anxiety from the crowd was very obvious this evening.

While no one should expect the fans to always create a good atmosphere... They should never contribute to a bad one. There were groans of impatience etc. on 60mins with the game 1 all. The anxiety was obvious. Has to affect the players.

its at this point Klopp needs to realize this and turn to the crowd to get behind them and fire them up

That will feed onto the pitch

There was no point in him pumping hios chest at the players at 88min, he should have been doing it to the crowd at 70min

Everyone writing them off but Spurs are going to have a massive say in this,
    Next two games at home and very winnable,then will have a few players back, they have to play US and City,
    I think this is a 3 horse race ,

I say that because its us leading, If City where 5 points clear of us and & 7 points clear of Sours id say no chance ,

I love our manger his time here so far has been brilliant but lets not forget we have always fallen at the last hurdle , We MUST change that ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Positives from last night
    Lead increased by 1pt
    One less game for the others to catch us
    No injuries I can think of picked up
    Players closer to returning from injury

If I was managing my local team and top of the league and increased it by 1 pt on the run in I'd be over the moon considering Leicester could have won

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

In the cold light of day it feels like 2 pts dropped, but if you were told we would gain points over city after the midweek fixtures, you would take that.
    Put it another way city win and we win, 4 pts clear and no negativity, city loose and we draw and the sky is falling for chicken little.

Yes, the team didn't play as well as they could and Klopp made some strange decisions. Lallana and Sturridge shouldn't play again for rest of season. Fabinho has to start every game in the middle, the difference he made when he came on was easy to see.
    Shaq is an impact player and not a starter, Keita not settling either but when bodies short needs must.

The sooner TAA & Gomez are back the better. If Ox can get back for the last 8 games he will give us the much-needed drive and energy in the middle.

Last night also shows us how short we are with quality if some of the front 3 not on form, bobby looked lost out there last night.
    I would love to see us get Werner in the summer, he can play anywhere across the front 3 and has a little turn of pace about him too.

Anyway roll on hammers next Monday. One game at a time.

• Advertisement

difficult conditions, 5 points ahead, nice one. We need an established midfielder. I expect city to drop points in their next couple of games, however we are leaving the door open and giving them hope!
    A win last night would of been huge. unfortunate. Hopefully all defenders will be fit soon, midfield is really worrying though

I think must go Gini and Fab they are our strongest two by far, Hendo to replace one of them when needed .
    The 3rd spot up for grabs between ,Milner, Naby, Shaq

Fabhino first few games where bit dodgy but I think he is our best midfielder , he has bite in him, attitude and can pass, he also drive's us on whenever he plays ,

He isn't as safe as Gini or Hendo but pair him with one of them and that's ok ,

Iv given Naby stick but maybe its time to just say "go play" let the two lads sit back and you go effect the game ,

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I know people are complaining about Keita, but the little runs where he carries the ball forward are a huge step in building an attack. It pulls opposition out of their position and makes holes for the front 3 to run into.
    When that really clicks it's going to be hugely successful for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Keita did his best Henderson impression in the first half last night. In the second half he did a bit more driving with the ball but got brushed off it too easily at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Lallana was fine. Neat and tidy and made a great run and cut back in behind that was ultimately cut out for a corner.

Mane was probably the only one in attack who shined last night, although Keita and Salah should've been awarded penalities.

Against a team like that individual moments will be limited in number.

It's all about the team and grinding them down.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I know people are complaining about Keita, but the little runs where he carries the ball forward are a huge step in building an attack. It pulls opposition out of their position and makes holes for the front 3 to run into.
    When that really clicks it's going to be hugely successful for us.

That's exactly what he done week in week out for redbull ,

To be fair to him playing as a double 6 doesn't suit him , He has to worry to much about being cautious and not given the ball away , always being in the correct position ,

He reminds me of Gerrard when Rafa took over now not as in as good or anything like that just as in he needs to not have to worry about his defensive positional sense, He needs to have freedom ,

Klopps midfield since Phil has gone are very disciplined , We let our full backs and front 3 bomb on and create but the midfield always have to worry about there position's encase of counters .

Maybe put Bobby back up top Salah wide right, Mane wide left and stick Naby in the middle slightly ahead of Fab and Gini and let him off the leash ,

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

As a neutral who dislikes both teams somewhat, I've had a go at seeing how Liverpool and City will do between now and the rest of the season.

14 games left each, 42 points at stake. I think Liverpool may drop 10, but no more and finish on 93. City, dropping 6, but possibly more and be on 92.

On paper City certainly have more tougher Fixtures, United, Spurs, Arsenal & Chelsea to play, so I was being conservative for them. If Liverpool get fit and click again, they'll drop less than 10. I had them drawing at United and Everton, where they could easily beat both.

If Rafa really loves them too, he'll send out a team of under 23s on the second last game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Weepsie wrote: »
    As a neutral who dislikes both teams somewhat, I've had a go at seeing how Liverpool and City will do between now and the rest of the season.

14 games left each, 42 points at stake. I think Liverpool may drop 10, but no more and finish on 93. City, dropping 6, but possibly more and be on 92.

On paper City certainly have more tougher Fixtures, United, Spurs, Arsenal & Chelsea to play, so I was being conservative for them. If Liverpool get fit and click again, they'll drop less than 10. I had them drawing at United and Everton, where they could easily beat both.

If Rafa really loves them too, he'll send out a team of under 23s on the second last game.
    Did you have City down for a loss against Newcastle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well, Liverpool have to play Spurs Chelsea and United too.

This may come down to who has the fewer injuries to deal with.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Knex. wrote: »

His touch seemed very heavy. Was far more involved than salah,but id say Klopp just left him on just in case he got s half chance at all.

My thoughts

4 2 3 1 didn't work ,we should have went 4 4 3,

Firstly at the back the 2 CB could not split wide enough as there was no one player dropping between them , Normally our 6 in a 443 does this this then meant only one full back could push on at any one time, it was mostly Henderson , Robbo had to stay back ,

The knock on effect from that was Shaq but mostly Mane where picking up balls to wide almost as naturally wingers, Instead of between the full back and CB as inside forwards where they are best,

Also because of the double 6 we played either of Gini or Keita broke the line and moves forward as both where nervous about losing the ball and being caught out with the other one parallel , With one 6 in a 4 3 3 the two midfielders either side can break line and know they have the insurance of the 6 behind them to cover,

Because we had no midfielder breaking the lines it also felt our front 4 where there to early ( infront of the ball) , so it let Leicester sit in shape and not worry about the runners,

Anyway poor display not help by the weather and the ref but we move one point further ahead, lets just keep going and not panic,

We really need quick attackers off the bench its something we have lacked for some time,
    Everyone coming on is slow , we can't introduce anyone with pace if the front 3 aren't at there best,

Mane man of the match for me for his sheer effort,

12 players is always the best solution unless you were actually talking about allison as a fly keeper:)

It's a shame Arsenal have injuries at the back can't see them being able to hold off City ,People will say Newcastle but Arsenal aren't built to sit in like Newcastle they will have a go at City and get beat,

Then Chelsea look like Hazard has decided again he doesn't want to play and doesn't like the Manger so all the other's jump on board and they will now just pack it in ,
    They have no soul great when the going is good but any sign of struggle and they all pack it in blame the manger and wait for him to be sacked,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Dont forget Everton mid week

Personally id be happy to go out against Bayern,
    Squad isn't big enough ,the front 3 have literally no cover ,
    Last season we where running on fumes because of the Champions league,
    This season I think we all want to have a proper go at the title.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

mada999 wrote: »
    very difficult to play against two banks of four.... but yes there should have been better movement

i'm less annoyed than yesterday about our performance.

the conditions were not helpful at all, and we were never really able to get our slick movement and passing going as a result.

City losing meant that 1-1 was actually a half decent result. we must look at the bigger picture. the League is all about grinding out results. even in City's 100 point season last season, they had a fair few one goal victories and eeked out a few extra points when they weren't great.

the reality is, we've squeezed out a lot of results in a similar fashion this season, while also playing a lot better than people have given us credit for. we've battered a few teams handily, or just been very comfortable.

Klopp will also be acutely aware that while we need to get as many points as possible, we have to also try to peak correctly as a team for a run-in that will also include a Champions League run, hopefully. it's a run that will hopefully include the likes of Gomez, TAA and Ox. and City have a terrible little run to come. now it is City, so they could steamroll Arsenal, Chelsea and the CL tie. but put it this way, they'd take our run of fixtures over there.

as others have pointed out - we're 5 points clear with 14 games left. that's fúcking phenomenal. like, phenomenal. and we've played City twice (which Jurgen hasn't been slow to point out). and we've got Utd away, but Spurs and Chelsea at home out of the top 6.

i'd have given my left testicle for this position if you'd offered that deal to me at the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Personally id be happy to go out against Bayern

fúck no.

no, no, no, no, no, no.

NO!

No idea why Sturridge came on either.

The same reaspn why we are 5 points ahead of city as instead of only 3?. After all as tge turd saus. Hes our most natural goalscorer

12 players is always the best solution unless you were actually talking about allison as a fly keeper:)

opps 433

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I think some people need to get a grip. As said above, if both City and Liverpool won their games we'd be happy even though the gap would still be 4 points. Now it's 5 and we've blown it?

First time dropping points against a team outside the 'big' 6.
    Leicester have beaten City and Chelsea recently.
    The pitch last night was slush and we couldn't pass it as well as usual. The ball kept slowing down.

Look at it another way, perspective is great, if our game and City's games swapped nights and we drew with Leicester on Tuesday, we'd be celebrating Newcastle's win last night as if it's written in the stars to win the league :D

Before this gameweek:
    4 point lead and 15 games left.

After this gameweek:
    5 point lead and 14 games left.

Personally id be happy to go out against Bayern,
    Squad isn't big enough ,the front 3 have literally no cover ,
    Last season we where running on fumes because of the Champions league,
    This season I think we all want to have a proper go at the title.,

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I'd love to see this just for the reactions alone

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Yep I want us to win the Prem if we go far in the Champions league we wont , we don't have the squad to do it,

Perfect world we win both but lets be real we have 3 attacking players without them we are in big trouble ,

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement