Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Got to love Klopp blaming the wind giving other fans something to laugh over and take away the spot light :pac:

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There's no faux-celebration, just a pragmatism that of the four competitions we're involved in this season, two of them are clearly worth prioritising over the other two. If that means that the two lesser domestic cups are sacrificed, then so be it.

Winning the FA Cup at the expense of the league and/or Champions League would not represent a good season.

The whole "we need to win something and soon" thing is nonsense. Winning the League Cup or the FA Cup means very little these days. They're secondary competitions and lifting one of them wouldn't turn a bad season into a good one.
    Why does it need to be at the expense of? It's not a choice. It's not an either/or. Do people think if we'd won tonight that we'd automatically throw away the league and champions league?

We haven't won anything in 7 years. Seven years. Winning an FA cup means very little? Well, even ignoring the fact this is nonsense, winning NOTHING is rubbish, and winning anything is better than winning nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Losing sucks, no matter the circumstances. But seeing as we needed to rest players and the one area where we are light at the moment is CB and to have your player that is supposed to be the experience going off after 6 minutes and having a 16 year old come on it was always going to be tough.

Then having to play away against a team that just recently beat Tottenham 3-1 with most of their 1st team should provide some perspective. We could and probably should have been 2-2 but for a fingertip save and a wonder strike that put us behind.

I would rather lose in the FA Cup to a shot like that than in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

awec wrote: »
    but the faux-celebration on here of going out of 1 is a bit embarrassing.

Not even slightly embarrassed.

Top of the league and in the knockouts for the CL.

That’s where the action is, not some tinpot trophy.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Not even slightly embarrassed.

Top of the league and in the knockouts for the CL.

That’s where the action is, not some tinpot trophy.
    Modern football fans are actually a joke.

:o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

We need to win something and soon.

Still in the hunt for 2 this season, so lots to play for, but the faux-celebration on here of going out of 1 is a bit embarrassing.

Outrage at faux celebration is equally embarrassing.

We could have went in a long run in the cup, picked up injuries to key players and/or player fatigue that could have a detrimental effect on our league. No thank you.

We are in a position where winning the league is an actual possibility rather than pie in the sky. Focus on that.

We don't have the squad this year. We all know that. Tonight proved that. But I don't care as long as we put all our effort into winning the league this year and strengthen again when possible. It is more important than winning the Champios league in my opinion, so tonight's loss is already forgotten for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

So what is a modern football fan then?

Modern?

I’m 44 and old enough to remember us being accused of being ‘just a cup team’, so I’ll take that as a compliment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Why does it need to be at the expense of? It's not a choice. It's not an either/or. Do people think if we'd won tonight that we'd automatically throw away the league and champions league?

We haven't won anything in 7 years. Seven years. Winning an FA cup means very little? Well, even ignoring the fact this is nonsense, winning NOTHING is rubbish, and winning anything is better than winning nothing.

Of course it's a choice. Liverpool have just just played 10 games since the start of December, it's a hugely hectic period and in that time they've won seven league games, a crucial Champions League game and lost an FA Cup game.

That FA Cup is by far the least important fixture of that period and Klopp was right to use it to give his bigger players a much needed break. De-prioritising the domestic cups is done by almost every manager with something to fight for. Those in a relegation scrap do it, those with league and European hopes do it, the only people to take this tin pots seriously as clubs with nothing else to play for.

Manchester City made nine changes. Liverpool showed where their priorities lie with their team selection and the fact is that putting out a strong team this weekend in a more important league game is where the club is right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Utd v City scheduled for FA Cup QF weekend. Assuming one of them makes it to it it’s likely that game could be played very close to the end of the season. Consequences could be huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

rossie1977 wrote: »
    For all the talk of second string, there was what 8 or 9 full internationals out there starting that cost almost £180m to assemble.

6 of that starting lineup started against Burnley away a few weeks ago.

They did but hige different when the other 5 are wolrd class when today the other 5 where kids ,
    Jones was lile a rabbit in head lights and one was 16 huge difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We played with one senior defender today and that defender was Moreno think about that.

Fab is a midfielder.

Camacho is a midfielder.

Hoever is a 16 year old left back playing his very first senior game of football and he made Moreno look like the kid.

doc_17 wrote: »
    Utd v City scheduled for FA Cup QF weekend. Assuming one of them makes it to it it’s likely that game could be played very close to the end of the season. Consequences could be huge.

While Fulham V Liverpool will happen that weekend therefore no re scheduled game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I'd say most of the posters on here have supported Liverpool since before we won our last league title. A lot more of us have followed Liverpool through the most recent bad times than the distant past good times. I've followed them since the the late 70s but really got into them in the early 80s. I remember what it was like to be the best team in England and sometimes in Europe. I also remember 1990. I miss winning the league. We are at our closest for a very long time. The FA cup is nowhere near on a level to the league and never will be.

I watched a a bad Liverpool side tonight get knocked out of the cup. Most of the team were not interested in the match but I am happy to get a glimpse of the younger players. I don't like losing but I didn't want us to go further in this competition. We don't need it. I'm glad we're out of it. Winning the league is the be all and end all in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Klopp does not give a single fcuk about the FA cup. Year in, year out he's prioritised other competitions. It would be great if the children and reserves played better than they did tonight but they didn't take their opportunity. Back to the Kevin Stewart Memorial Shed of Shame with them. They'll stay there until Bournemouth buy them for astronomical sums.

• Advertisement

Fa cup thread has turned to crap as usual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

We played with one senior defender today and that defender was Moreno think about that.

Fab is a midfielder.

Camacho is a midfielder.

Hoever is a 16 year old left back playing his very first senior game of football and he made Moreno look like the kid.

Was anyone else excited when we signed Moreno? I remember it took quite a while to get the deal over the line and he was a bit of a hot property at the time. Jesus he turned out to be so ****e, cracker of a goal against spurs when he first signed though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Is Adam Lallana broken again? Surely he’ll be sent packing in the summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

doc_17 wrote: »
    Is Adam Lallana broken again? Surely he’ll be sent packing in the summer?

There's a fierce bang of West Ham off him these days alright.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Any word on Lovren? Fabinho at CB on Saturday I assume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

So what is a modern football fan then?

One that doesn't live in a bygone era of only watching football on the Beeb and believing their speil about the FA Cup being the greatest Cup competition in world football perhaps?

Am so relieved we have a pragmatic manager who knows what the fans want from his tenure at the club.

A little disappointed the squad didn't prove adequate for progression tonight, and the likes of Camacho and Whoever won't be playing much more 1st team football this season.

But we have a clear run at our primary targets now, and that's adequate compensation for me (while I accept its not for other fans).

klose wrote: »
    Was anyone else excited when we signed Moreno? I remember it took quite a while to get the deal over the line and he was a bit of a hot property at the time. Jesus he turned out to be so ****e, cracker of a goal against spurs when he first signed though!

I was and I do think there is a footballer in him.

Like Lovren he can’t concentrate for an entire game without having a brain fart.

He just needs to find the right team and manager for his game.

Arsenal and Emry would be that I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

No need to venture in there in again, another plus from tonight's game. Same few posting and thanking each other with an odd addition to the humour thread. You can really set your clock by them.

Anyway, Brighton away, really looking foward to see how we react to the loss to City.
    Its the reaction that will tell alot.

Klopp sayimf Hendo and Lallana where to play but got sick and Lovren was only to be on the bench

Anyome sayomg the cups mean nothing are foolimg themselfs the last 5 years the winners of both domestic cups have always come from the United, City,Arsenal and Chelsea

Hmmm Hendo and Lallana got sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Missed someone like Klavan tonight. Also Clyne at lb would have helped. If you want to challenge on all fronts then these are the squad players you have to keep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Klopp sayimf Hendo and Lallana where to play but got sick and Lovren was only to be on the bench

Anyome sayomg the cups mean nothing are foolimg themselfs the last 5 years the winners of both domestic cups have always come from the United, City,Arsenal and Chelsea

Didn’t do Wenger much good anyway. He still got chased out of the club. Or Mourinho for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Hmmm Hendo and Lallana got sick.

If it's the vomiting bug I had the past 2 day's it's rampant and nasty, lost about 2 stone I'd say... :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Fieldog wrote: »
    If it's the vomiting bug I had the past 2 day's it's rampant and nasty, lost about 2 stone I'd say... :/

Losing 2 stone in 2 days you could start a new gym programme.

Losing 2 stone in 2 days you could start a new gym programme.

Vom yourself thin.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I have voiced opinions in the past that I don't agree with wholesale changes for cup competitions as I want Liverpool to win every competition. However, I think it was definitely the pragmatic thing to do tonight given our league position and if we come up short in the league and CL then no one can blame the domestic cups.

Losing is never good, but we need every advantage we can get. Klopp won't bin off the CL in the same manner of course, but I think if it came down to resting a few players in the CL or the league when we are right in contention in the league, he would be more likely to rotate in the CL this season.

5starpool wrote: »
    I have voiced opinions in the past that I don't agree with wholesale changes for cup competitions as I want Liverpool to win every competition. However, I think it was definitely the pragmatic thing to do tonight given our league position and if we come up short in the league and CL then no one can blame the domestic cups.

Losing is never good, but we need every advantage we can get. Klopp won't bin off the CL in the same manner of course, but I think if it came down to resting a few players in the CL or the league when we are right in contention in the league, he would be more likely to rotate in the CL this season.

Its no real advantage playing Burton isnt going to have an effect on City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

But as someone posted earlier there's the logistics of playing the match, possibilities of injuries, an unlikely replay(?), lot's of added things that Liverpool don't have to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Modern?

I’m 44 and old enough to remember us being accused of being ‘just a cup team’, so I’ll take that as a compliment.

That's one thing ye definitely won't be accused of that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Liverpool made 9 changes, City made 9 changes. They won , Liverpool lost, they played Rotherham at home Liverpool go to Wolves who play near enough their strongest team, a team who've taken points off all the big teams bar us.

Tough draw but we had to make changes, absolutely the right thing to do and we got no luck with players falling ill meaning more changes than were wanted and players getting injured when they shouldn't have even played. **** happens.

Now let's hope they go out and beat Brighton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Palace and Leicester were not losses I expected.

Extra games, more fatigue, who knows.

I just know need to be fresher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

jayo26 wrote: »
    That's one thing ye definitely won't be accused of that's for sure.

You're guaranteed at least one thank for that, so if you feel you've done your job, bravo. Off to bed now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

mosstin wrote: »
    You're guaranteed at least one thank for that, so if you feel you've done your job, bravo. Off to bed now.

I don't collect thanks but it was a true statement. Put a team out like that your definitely not winning a cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

Were. It's were. Sorry but it's driving me insane at this stage. I don't even know where to begin with the rest of it. See previous sentence for correct use of "where".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Only three teams have ever won a Premier League and F.A Cup and the last time was nearly a decade ago. Liverpool haven't won the F.A Cup in 13 years and have never won a PL obviously, so it sounds great to say we should be in both to the death but... let's be realistic.

EDIT: In the same season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I'll be more upset if we lose on Saturday, says it all for me how I feel about the FA cup

Can you remember our win in 2006 because I can, it was a fantastic day and occasion that unfortunately due to the passing of time isn't as strong in the memory as I'd like, one more cup is all we've won from then till now ****ing one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Owl. wrote: »
    Were. It's were. Sorry but it's driving me insane at this stage. I don't even know where to begin with the rest of it. See previous sentence for correct use of "where".

Bet you are great fun at parties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

I've been a red long enough to (barely) remember Keegan's departure & Kenny's arrival.

Been through plenty of ups & downs throughout the years, admittedly the ups were earlier & the downs more recent & frequent.

I'm always disappointed when we lose no matter what the competition.

Having grown up with LFC as almost perennial League Champions with the odd cup thrown in you almost expected them to win.

I remember Heysel, losing the league to Arsenal in the last game, utd beating us in the cup final, istanbul, losing to Celtic in the aviva, watching Suarez knock in 4 against Norwich from the Kop ..............

I also remember coming home one Saturday afternoon, almost 30 years ago, around 2:30 pm to watch LFC reach another FA Cup Final.
    It wasn't to be on that particular day due to non-football reasons even though we did make the final that year.

I purposely let that one until last for the following reason...

this season out of all in recent times, I thought the club would have made some kind of effort to try get as far as possible (dare I say try win?) in the competition.

TBH I would have (this season) preferred to drop out of the CL and concentrate on the 2 domestic competitions.

I know the CL is financially better to progress in but there is no dishonour in the FA Cup.

To say I was disappointed at tonight's result is an understatement. However, the performance was worse.
    I think the days of players giving all for their team (no matter what club) are long gone.

My preference any season (as I'm sure any red's is) would be the PL - for a club the size & reputation of LFC it' been far too long.

To think that a full generation of fans have been born & grown up without witnessing a title win & probably have produced another generation that are now the age I was when I first started to follow the team is utterly disappointing.

After tonight's performance the team/squad/manager/club need to concentrate 200% on the PL with the CL as a side attraction.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yeah the usual saddos looking for any excuse to have a pop at Liverpool, bless em.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

I've absolutely no issues with that line up tonight. We need to be big enough to let other fans and the media sh*te on about us not winning "trophies". We are top of the premier league and in the knockout stages of the CL with a genuine chance of winning either / both, I'd take that over the FA cup & league cup any season regardless of what happens over the next couple of months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I just feel now there will be a lot of extra pressure on the Liverpool team now in that Brighton game, after 2 defeats in a row no matter the circumstances they will need to pick themselves up. Now that team have admittedly dealt with pretty much everything thrown at them this season bar the City game which was always more likely to go their way but 4 points clear, on a two game skid, not something they will be familiar with.

Now of course given how erratic Brighton are, Liverpool will probably go out and hammer them as they've done similar teams all season. The stakes have been raised even higher now though and there is no fall back option for them if it all goes tits up.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Raisins wrote: »
    More nonsense. You’re the only one saying we’re above anything.

He doesn’t need to win to be vindicated. You make the best decision for the good of the team at the time and then see what happens.
    And then live with the consequences.

If we end this season trophyless it's a failure. As I said before, no medals for coming second, and medals trump all.

What? No it’s not - a trophyless season is not a failure! Have Pochettino and Klopp failed every season then while serial FA Cup winner Wenger has multiple successful ones but somehow got the sack? We don’t have the resources of utd or city we have about 15 players and we’re doing really well to compete for the league and champions league. If we didn’t compete for the league and didn’t have knock out European nights at Anfield but won the FA cup that would that be a successful season, because we won one of your coveted medals? You need to relax about the FA Cup. Even Alan Shearer doesn’t care that much about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭chicorytip

superg wrote:
    Tough draw but we had to make changes, absolutely the right thing to do and we got no luck with players falling ill meaning more changes than were wanted and players getting injured when they shouldn't have even played. **** happens.

Liverpool F.C. in season 1983/4 won the treble of league title, league cup and european cup using a total of only fourteen players. The first choice eleven would have played a total of sixty plus games during that season without any member succumbing to serious injury or illness. It would make you wonder - despite all the advances in training methods and sports science - about the fitness and stamina levels of their modern counterparts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Can you remember our win in 2006 because I can, it was a fantastic day and occasion that unfortunately due to the passing of time isn't as strong in the memory as I'd like, one more cup is all we've won from then till now ****ing one

Yup 1 cup in 12 years..1 billion spent, but sure if you play entertaining football isn't that all that matters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Bet you are great fun at parties

Depends Were the party is;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement