Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Leicester also were able to put on a good show V another team at the top of the table and beating them.

True

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

poolboy wrote: »
    It's unreal the last few days everywhere you turn.

If you'd gone on holidays for a week you'd have been very confused 'cos when you left the league was all but done.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Jesus, everyone losing their s**t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

spockety wrote: »
    Jesus, everyone losing their s**t.

We were never going to run away with it so don't know why panic is setting in. Whoever ends up winning the league will have demonstrated immense mental will. Mentally this team has done everything we could ask of them this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

MD1990 wrote:
    I think we will. West Ham are in poor form.

I'm fairly optimistic. Good time to play them & think the team will want to get the 3 points, especially with City playing again Wednesday which is weird as it's not even on TV this side of the Atlantic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Confident of a win tomorrow night, I'd actually be shocked if we dont win. We are top of the league for a reason and I think we will again show why, with a good confident win v West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

As much as we need a win tomorrow we need a calm composed win even more, the last two performances have given teams something to shoot at, vulnerability for the first time reared its head. We need to nip that in the bud and get back to ruthless efficiency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I’ll take a one nil win with the winner in the 93rd ricocheting off the refs hand into the net as he is lifting it to blow the final whistle.

As for those wondering if Everton might do us a favour, have you been living under a rock for the last 30 years? They'll roll over and have their bellies tickled and their fans will cheer it. Even if that wasn't the case they are absolutely sh!te, no chance of them even giving City a game.

Our next decent chance of City dropping points is Chelsea but again,, it doesn't matter if they don't, just win our own games, City don't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I know people are complaining about our patchwork defence but it’s better than what Arsenal can put out.

Doesnt meanits up to standard

• Advertisement

Negativity brigade gathering a bit of steam.

You had city down as clear favourites a few days ago.
    That's peak negativity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Chelsea thumping (an admittedly poor) Huddersfield 5-0 yesterday should put a spring in their step for the visit of City next weekend. Could both Everton and Chelsea do us favours this week?

If Carlsberg did perfect PL weeks we'd beat West Ham and Bournemouth and City would drop points to both Everton and Chelsea. Hard to see but we can dream.........

Spurs league position really does highlight how sh!te draws are in the grand scheme of things. City have lost 3 more than us but are still right with us. Being ripped off by the lino in the Emirates still rankles. I'd swap our 4 draws for 2 wins and 2 defeats in a heartbeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Defence a worry last few weeks, only one clean sheet since Xmas. We typical score every game, so with defence not conceding we'd win a lot of games, with us conceding regular now it means we are under a bit of pressure. It's much easier to score another at 1-0 up than it is to score another at 1-1, we need fit defenders as soon as asap as possible .

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ozzy78

Match of the day were showing stats on Marco Silva's teams defending set pieces. Worst in PL when manager of Hull, 3rd worst when managing Watford and now worst again as Everton manager. Hopefully they can put a performance together on Wednesday but hard to see them taking anything from the game. Let's hope we can get back to winning ways and not have to worry about City and spurs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I'm not that worried about West Ham tomorrow night purely in the sense that we're clearly better than them and so should win. Fact is that if we want to win the title we have to win these games - if we don't, and City do, we don't deserve to win the title.

I'd be worried Everton will have Big Sam back in as manager for the game in a few weeks.

We all know he likes to spoil the Liverpool party.

On another note we could do with the defenders & midfielders chipping in with a few goals.

I'd be worried Everton will have Big Sam back in as manager for the game in a few weeks.

On another note we could do with the defenders & midfielders chipping in with a few goals.

They are as good as safe from relegation so I reckon they will see out the season with silva and assess their options again in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Was just reading on Reddit (great site) that only Salah, Mane and the main man have scored for us in the league since Stephens’ Day.

We really need others to step up...the most natural finisher at the club is still living off that goal against Chelsea, Origi hasn’t scored since Everton, Shaqiri Stephens’ Day, Lovren the last defender to score on the same day.

• Advertisement

Was just reading on Reddit (great site) that only Salah, Mane and the main man have scored for us in the league since Stephens’ Day.

We really need others to step up...the most natural finisher at the club is still living off that goal against Chelsea, Origi hasn’t scored since Everton, Shaqiri Stephens’ Day, Lovren the last defender to score on the same day.

He scored against Wolves in the FA cup.

In the league I can't remember the last goal scorer outside of the front 3 and Shaq.

All Sturidge does now when he plays is take pot shots from 30 yards to try and score another Chelsea goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

mosstin wrote: »
    I'm not that worried about West Ham tomorrow night purely in the sense that we're clearly better than them and so should win. Fact is that if we want to win the title we have to win these games - if we don't, and City do, we don't deserve to win the title.

West Ham have been unlucky recently. They are alot better than people give them credit for. Pool will need to perform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm not sure if we should be surprised by the lack of end product at the oppositions goal by the midfielders and defenders - the latter feed off set-pieces either as takers (full backs) or scorers (centre backs) - the midfield this season is very static playing a double six formation. So really it's down to the forwards to do what forwards do do (do). And they are doing it to be fair to them.

Yeah, it’s not to take anything away from them but in a situation like Wednesday where they struggle to find the net it would be nice for the others to chip in with a goal to turn a draw into a win.

We should have had with Keita but he was fouled in the box.

I'd would have expected VVD to at least chip in with 5/6 goals from corners alone.

The seasons not over so he still might.

I'd would have expected VVD to at least chip in with 5/6 goals from corners alone.

Is the goal against wolves the only one he has got?

• Advertisement

Is the goal against wolves the only one he has got?

He has 2 Liverpool goals one on his debut against Everton and the Wolves one.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

It's strange that he can seem to win every header anywhere on the pitch but can't nod in an odd corner now and again. Corners hitting the first man doesn't help but still.

Couldn't hit a barn backside with a cow's banjo that Wilson lad. :mad:

:p An off night by his standards and yet still the most exciting player on the pitch in the first half, second half seemed to be all PNE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Loan spell will do wonders for his progress :D

Origi has by far the best return of the 5 front players at the club.
    D. Origi 1 every 73mins
    M salah 1 every 127 mins
    D sturridge 1 every 135mins
    S mane 1 every 184 mins
    R firmino 1 every 208 mins.
    Sturridge and origi cant score if they dont have the minutes.

• Advertisement

Ha more proof that stats can be manipulated to show black is white and round is square.

Just looking at Wilson for Derby, he sure does like hitting from distance and he has very good accuracy, I know hitting the woodwork is off target but still. I think its something our current midfielders don't try enough although Fabinio seems to give it bash from time to time. Sometimes you need the odd 30 yard pot shot in games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Dont expect Everton to do us favours.

They are playing very poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Flyer29

It is a slight worry how much we rely on the front 3 to score all our goals.

As for the lack of goals from our midfielders, it’s clearly down to the fact that we simply don’t shoot from outside the box, whether that’s by instruction from Klopp or down to a lack of confidence from the lads in taking a shot on I don’t know.

Opposition defences know that once they keep us far enough away from goal, that there’s a good chance we’ll revert to sideways and backwards passing rather than taking on a shot from distance so it would be nice to see us mix it up a bit and take a few shots and keep the opposition guessing.

As for defenders chipping in, it’s hard for them to score a goal when we’ve the likes of Salah constantly taking our corner kicks and blasting them at the first defender in his way. For all Salah’s qualities, corner kick taking isn’t one of them.

There will be games like the Leicester game again where the front 3 will be quiet/ineffective. Finding a way to win these types of games will be the difference between a first and second place finish for us this season I feel. Hopefully we find a way of sharing the load amongst the rest of the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Henderson isnt going to score from outside the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

mikeym wrote: »
    Henderson isnt going to score from outside the box.

Vs Chelsea? Vs City? Doesn't happen very often, but not outside the realms of possibility.

Vs Chelsea? Vs City? Doesn't happen very often, but not outside the realms of possibility.

He'll need some curl on it in all fairness, it will need to travel sideways then swing colossally into the top corner.

Milner when available is the man for corners.

I think Henderson has the ability to go forward and get beyond front 3, Lampard style, but he's just not playing in the position to do it.
    He done it early in his Liverpool career, now he's trying to be Gerrard 2.0 in the holding position. We need a young Gerrard impersonator out there, not an old Gerrard impersonator.
    We so need a Gerrard type back in squad, and an actual striker, regardless of how incredible Firmino is as a team player and hard worker, he's actually a 10 goal a season midfielder, one we need badly, so return him to midfield, where he made his name.

I think Henderson has the ability to go forward and get beyond front 3, Lampard style, but he's just not playing in the position to do it.
    He done it early in his Liverpool career, now he's trying to be Gerrard 2.0 in the holding position. We need a young Gerrard impersonator out there, not an old Gerrard impersonator.
    We so need a Gerrard type back in squad, and an actual striker, regardless of how incredible Firmino is as a team player and hard worker, he's actually a 10 goal a season midfielder, one we need badly, so return him to midfield, where he made his name.

Firmino is ****e in midfield,too indecisive and its not shaqiris best poistion either imo
    James Rodriguez dinking balls over for salah and mane would be class. A player that can have a go from outside the box too

• Advertisement

Ha more proof that stats can be manipulated to show black is white and round is square.

I think it shows that if our "inferior" players got a chance they would do quite well. Look at ings,1/180 for Southampton

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Jeysus, you're a harsh man to be mentioning Origi in that!
    Since Stephen's Day, Origi has played a grand total of around 60 seconds - his only league appearance since then being to come on in the 94th minute against Brighton :P

Since the Everton game on December 2nd, he got that minute against Brighton, and started against Burnley (league), and Wolves (FA Cup), and got a goal and an assist from those two games.

He'd be the man i'd be bringing on long ahead of Sturridge right now.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Jeysus, you're a harsh man to be mentioning Origi in that!
    Since Stephen's Day, Origi has played a grand total of around 60 seconds - his only league appearance since then being to come on in the 94th minute against Brighton :P

Since the Everton game on December 2nd, he got that minute against Brighton, and started against Burnley (league), and Wolves (FA Cup), and got a goal and an assist from those two games.

He'd be the man i'd be bringing on long ahead of Sturridge right now.

Tbh I didn’t look that deeply into it. But I’d fully agree with the last statement.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Jeysus, you're a harsh man to be mentioning Origi in that!.............

It's some twaddle from reddit.......... arsebiscuits. Some folk like a munch of arsebiscuits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Tonight is a massive game.

3 pts with an assured performance would be a great tonic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I don't care about excitement now it is all about getting points on the board

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Flyer29

Gomez out for the foreseeable :(

Quoted from the club website

The defender has been undergoing a rehabilitation programme since suffering the initial break at Turf Moor; however, after further diagnosis, the club’s medical staff believe he will benefit from a further procedure to enable a more complete recovery.

No timescale will be placed on an expected return date for Gomez, though it’s likely he will feature again this season.

Reflecting on the news, Jürgen Klopp told Liverpoolfc.com: “It’s a blow for the boy and for us - because prior to the injury he was in such fantastic shape.

“But he is too valuable to take any risk with, both for our present and future, so we get this procedure done and he comes back when he’s ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

Nice piece on Gini today and how he has become the linchpin of this team. It's amazing how much he has developed as a player since joining us.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11627604/georginio-wijnaldums-importance-to-liverpool-is-underrated

• Advertisement

Righty ho - time to panic then. Ironically this could hasten the exit of Lovren, the club might decide that the third choice player has to be better at football than the Croat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement