Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

chicorytip wrote: »
    Liverpool F.C. in season 1983/4 won the treble of league title, league cup and european cup using a total of only fourteen players. The first choice eleven would have played a total of sixty plus games during that season without any member succumbing to serious injury or illness. It would make you wonder - despite all the advances in training methods and sports science - about the fitness and stamina levels of their modern counterparts.

Game is much faster and requires much higher levels of fitness now, back then you could go the the piss Friday and hammer someone in the league Saturday, you cant do it now its the advances that have it that way, the smaller teams are so close even a small drop in performance and they will catch the bigger teams
    Yup 1 cup in 12 years..1 billion spent, but sure if you play entertaining football isn't that all that matters

I'd say you would give anything to swap positions right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

5starpool wrote: »
    Any word on Lovren? Fabinho at CB on Saturday I assume.

Not concrete but meant to be hamstring - Klopp actually sounded pissed off and almost a little dubious about it in his post match presser. Angry that it seemed to come out of nowhere and that there were no signs in the warm up - which is unusual for such an injury that occurs after a ball has been barely been kicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Cant understand people saying Klopp has disrespected the FA Cup with his team selection, we had NINE full internationals out there last night and two young fellas making their debuts. (not to mention Hoever, who came on and was outstanding...16?!!!!!Unreal.) The likes of keita, sturridge, origi and moreno had their chance last night to push for a first team spot, or at least remind the manager what they can offer. And they did sh@g all.
    I think sturridge's first touch in the second half was the free kick he won when shaq hit the post, after about 65 mins. He was beyond abysmal.
    Obviously it'd be great to get a cup run...and the 1 trophy in 13 years is a truely damning statistic for a team with a proud history like Liverpool...but.... only the PL and CL to concentrate on? could be a blessing in disguise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Not concrete but meant to be hamstring - Klopp actually sounded pissed off and almost a little dubious about it in his post match presser. Angry that it seemed to come out of nowhere and that there were no signs in the warm up - which is unusual for such an injury that occurs after a ball has been barely been kicked.

Does he think Lovren is playing silly buggers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

ha ha, just read Alberto Moreno's wiki page....:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yup 1 cup in 12 years..1 billion spent, but sure if you play entertaining football isn't that all that matters

1bn raised actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

God bless you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

not a terrible result considering it was a fairly strong Wolves side away, the M&M defence, the fact 1/2 our defence can't legally drink or shoot someone in the US, we were missing 100% of our attack, first goal was a mistake and break away. I thought they were pretty ok, looked toothless going forward but otherwise I fail to see the drama, other than the team selection, which is another debate

I mean people are going on about how Man City have been missing some of their first teamers. Our second string weren't disgraced.

Like the Keita thing I don't buy Lovern's to blame for his injury.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Does he think Lovren is playing silly buggers?

Just my own speculation of course and reading between the lines. He seemed bewildered by it but did say Lovren wasn't initially in line to start but circumstances changed due to injuries and illness.

If we end up with nothing at the end of the season I can live with it but the pundits will use hindsight to crucify Klopp for last night. I mean if last night proved anything it was that Klopp was spot on to take the gamble because it proved that while the squad is big the depth in quality isn't there. If one of Mane, Salah or Bobby got injured last night you saw their replacements in action and it was dire.

Origi tries hard at least.

Sturridge wouldn't be up to it.

I think time is proving Shaq will be a bigger asset from the bench than someone to rely on as the season intensifies.

That is the reality of our situation and one fans have to accept. We're getting the maximum right now from a starting XI and Klopp has to manage that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,832 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Not too worried about last night's result, Wolves are a good PL team , on form too. The worry would be squad depth to fight on 2 fronts. We need to bring in extra quality , esp for midfield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

If shaq gets injured we will have zero creativaty from midfeild which is a worry maybe time to get the Phil replacement

Lallana cant stay fit
    Ox still out
    Keita been off form

We need another spark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Thud

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I'd rather win the fá Cup final then lose a cl final

Painful as it was at the time I think losing the CL final last year was better for the club that winning the FA cup would have been. It puts us back at the top table in Europe and attracts better quality players (eg Allison) which should benefit the club long term and enable Klopp to build on what he has started. CL is what top level players look for not the FA cup.
    Yeah it used to be a great competition but it's not anymore despite the BBC bigging it up because they have the rights to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Thud wrote: »
    Painful as it was at the time I think losing the CL final last year was better for the club that winning the FA cup would have been. It puts us back at the top table in Europe and attracts better quality players (eg Allison) which should benefit the club long term and enable Klopp to build on what he has started. CL is what top level players look for not the FA cup.
    Yeah it used to be a great competition but it's not anymore despite the BBC bigging it up because they have the rights to it.

Winning the FA cup nets a club £3.6 million.

Liverpool got around €85 million from their run to the CL final last year and would receive even more this year if they did the same.

That's not even including gate receipts, sponsorship bonuses and the additional merchandising opportunities such a run enables. Not only can we attract better quality players, we can actually fund the purchase of them from a good run in the Champions League.

Winning the FA cup gets you a few extra training cones in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Wow, didn't know the prize money was so little for the FA Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,579 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Still disappointed by last night's team selection and "effort" by some players.

I appreciate the logic but trophies are trophies.

Will be forgotten about if we win the league but if we don't.

No question about the effort and you could see Klopp was pissed off about that in his presser.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

How did the young lad Hoever go last night? Caught the last 10 mins and he looked comfortable.

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    How did the young lad Hoever go last night? Caught the last 10 mins and he looked comfortable.

I though his positioning was a bit off and he was little to far right , looked a little bit lost at times ,

He was nice and clam on the ball lost it once In the first half in a dangerous position but nobody showed for him , he only really had one situation where he was ran at and he dealt with it very well ,

Would I be right in saying he was a right back ? one time he passed a ball and set off up the right and Jurgen was screaming at him to go back ,

Taking into account he is 16 he looked very very comfortable and a great prospect ,

I thought of the young lads Jones really struggled and was very poor but he was out of position on the left and had no movement in front of him and only Keita inside to pass to so very hard to judge him , Morneo didn't help him much by constantly standing about 2 yards away from him ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Dcully wrote: »
    Yeah the usual saddos looking for any excuse to have a pop at Liverpool, bless em.

Nice to be talked about but at this stage it is boring

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    I just feel now there will be a lot of extra pressure on the Liverpool team now in that Brighton game, after 2 defeats in a row no matter the circumstances they will need to pick themselves up. Now that team have admittedly dealt with pretty much everything thrown at them this season bar the City game which was always more likely to go their way but 4 points clear, on a two game skid, not something they will be familiar with.

Now of course given how erratic Brighton are, Liverpool will probably go out and hammer them as they've done similar teams all season. The stakes have been raised even higher now though and there is no fall back option for them if it all goes tits up.

Why sure they went earlier in the season with this LDLD no big extra pressure last night

1 billion???

No question about the effort and you could see Klopp was pissed off about that in his presser.

When things don't really click in a line-up it's easy to play the no effort card IMO. In saying that we've seen as bad performances in the league from the midfield and forwards but we've won the games as the defence and keeper has been almost foot perfect in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I thought of the young lads Jones really struggled and was very poor but he was out of position on the left and had no movement in front of him and only Keita inside to pass to so very hard to judge him , Morneo didn't help him much by constantly standing about 2 yards away from him ,

Another of Mad Alberts less endearing traits!:mad: The sat-nav of a Trabant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

1 billion???

Actually thought it was 1 trillion

Looking back I think a big mistake last night was playing Studge and Origi together , both offer little movement and are better with people playing around them , I also think the formation didn't help anyone ,

4-4-2 With two static forwards is tuff, You need a forward to drop deep and our two just stood there so made it very hard to pass the ball , Its possibly it was last minute as well as Klopp said Hendo and Lallana where going to play ,

• Advertisement

Huge positive was Fab ,

He really has grown since he arrived and was a great professional performance last night by him out of position playing with a 16 yearold and Moreno and Migs and he still looked good ,

He seems like a winner and has a bit of bite to his game ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

PhuckHugh wrote: »

This was the pick of his performance, dispossessed the forward and jogs the ball out of the back line to kick off a counter attack

https://streamable.com/iy9wb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Another of Mad Alberts less endearing traits!:mad: The sat-nav of a Trabant.

He's beyond awful. I don't like giving out about our players, I'm loyal to the end! But he literally has the football brain of a Wurzel Gummidge. He is going to have to hope someone signs him based on his modest attacking ability, maybe as a winger, cause as a defender he's HOPELESS. We should have played Adam Lewis.

Considering none of the back 4 would get near a start in those positions in a real competitive game, and the poor protection they got from midfield, we did well against basically Wolves' first choice team...

So who would have been happy if VVD had of started last night and went off injured after 6 minutes?

Have to hold my hands up about Moreno - thought he'd be a worthwhile squad option to keep around but he was so poor last night. 16 year old looked mature in comparison to him.

• Advertisement

So who would have been happy if VVD had of started last night and went off injured after 6 minutes?

Everyone except us?

Last night made the Clyne out on loan more baffling ,
    With all the injury's we literally have Trent as the only right back option , he's a kid himself who has no competition now and could go through some bad form as all kids do,

People say Milner but he can't get up and down the pitch which is what our full back are required to do, Fab is an option but he's going to be covering CB and our midfield looks short currently to so we need him there ,

Surely Clyne would have seen some game time in the next 5months ,

Lovren has never played more than 6 games in a row for Liverpool without getting injured , Last night was his 7th , he has a history of niggles ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Last night made the Clyne out on loan more baffling ,
    With all the injury's we literally have Trent as the only right back option , he's a kid himself who has no competition now and could go through some bad form as all kids do,

People say Milner but he can't get up and down the pitch which is what our full back are required to do, Fab is an option but he's going to be covering CB and our midfield looks short currently to so we need him there ,

Surely Clyne would have seen some game time in the next 5months ,

Klopp probably sees Milner and Fabinho as cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Lovren has never played more than 6 games in a row for Liverpool without getting injured , Last night was his 7th , he has a history of niggles ,

Maybe someone told him that stat just before kick off and that's why he only lasted a few minutes! :)

amber69 wrote: »
    Klopp probably sees Milner and Fabinho as cover.

Id say so but Fab covering CB now and Milner doesn't have the leg's , I really hope Gomes and Matip can get fit asap

I'm guessing Lovren will be gone for a month now ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

These posts stood out:
    awec wrote: »
    Yea I can't agree with this idea that we're somehow above the FA cup at all. It's delusional. You can bet many of those writing it off as some sort of distraction would be celebrating in May and bigging it up if we won it.

When you haven't won a trophy in as long as we have you aren't in a position to think you're above any silverware. Even a league cup would be welcome at this stage.

Football all about winning trophies. No medals for coming second. Klopp obviously happy to put all the eggs in the CL and PL baskets. Can't agree with his approach toward the FA cup at all to be honest.

The thing is football is not about winning any trophies anymore. The days of seasons being saved in a holistic way by winning the FA Cup or a Cup Winners / UEFA Cup at the end of the year are long over. The Europa League's importance has been saved and secured by the offer of a CL spot. The FA Cup can't offer that.

Football at the elite level is now about creating a platform to consistently compete for the two big trophies. Since beating Cardiff in Feb 2012, we've been on a seven year journey to create that platform - with significant bumps in the road. Under Klopp though, we finally competed for a CL and are following it up with competing for the league (and have the business end of the CL still to come).
    This is 100% pure and utter scutter.

This - in response to the assertion that the FA Cup is now worthless - is wrong, though I appreciate the ferocity of the opinion. We can like it or lump it, but the FA Cup has suffered a demonstrable loss of status over the past two decades. It's still a nice trophy to win, but the following things are undeniable:
    • Bottom half Premiership teams with any threat of relegation actively punt the third round of the cup
    • League One / League Two teams don't sell out their stadiums against Prem opponents in the early rounds in the ways of decades past

Wigan winning the trophy and a non league team making the Quarter Finals were everything the competition might have wanted to recapture imagination, but the reality is that competing in the upper echelons of the Premier League / gaining promotions / competing for the European Cup "feel" way more important and vital to fans. And no attempts by media can stem that tide.

I would agree that this is a shame, as the FA Cup is still a great concept with eons of tradition and history behind it. But it is what it is: the big sponsorship / big money / big promotion did work. The incentives changed.

(This is why a European superleague concept would succeed ultimately, but I digress).
    And what?

We haven't won a trophy in ages. We're above nothing.

If we wins the league or champions league he'll be vindicated. Otherwise, it's just going to be yet another trophyless season. Coming second won't make up for that.

People can write / say what they like but if you ask me what feels better and what has more value:

- winning an FA Cup Final
    - losing a European Cup Final

There is genuinely no comparison. There was a concerted effort from our enemies after last May to try and focus in on the 'another final lost' and 'another year without trophies' but it was pure wanting. Getting down to the wire in the big two makes you relevant. Obviously we need to win one at a certain point, but you need to compete first.

If we were to finish second in the PL and go deep in the CL yet again then, as much as we would be disappointed at the games / moments that cost us in both, the overall progress and trajectory of the club would be undeniable. Klopp comes from a tradition of winter breaks, and he has consistently rotated for the early rounds of the cup coming as they do in the midst of a packed domestic league schedule. Facing Everton last year forced his hand somewhat, but when we were walking out to face Real in the biggest club match in the world were any of us thinking about the hiccup at home to West Brom? Were we ****.

Don't let those looking to take us down a peg or two to assuage their own suffering set our narrative. Or, to put it another way, talk to Arsenal fans or read through their threads on here from years past. Winning a couple of FA Cups didn't make them feel any better about losing the platform to challenge for the League and European Cup. Because that's what matters, believe me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I Wonder if keita could be klopps biggest mistake so far, and to think we waited a season for him, I hope I'm wrong obviously but he looks a poor signing so far

Is VVD injured , just seen the below from Jurgen after the game last night ?

Virg cannot play; he is at home and hopefully it is nothing but he has played all the games so far.”.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    These posts stood out:

The thing is football is not about winning any trophies anymore. The days of seasons being saved in a holistic way by winning the FA Cup or a Cup Winners / UEFA Cup at the end of the year are long over. The Europa League's importance has been saved and secured by the offer of a CL spot. The FA Cup can't offer that.

Football at the elite level is now about creating a platform to consistently compete for the two big trophies. Since beating Cardiff in Feb 2012, we've been on a seven year journey to create that platform - with significant bumps in the road. Under Klopp though, we finally competed for a CL and are following it up with competing for the league (and have the business end of the CL still to come).

This - in response to the assertion that the FA Cup is now worthless - is wrong, though I appreciate the ferocity of the opinion. We can like it or lump it, but the FA Cup has suffered a demonstrable loss of status over the past two decades. It's still a nice trophy to win, but the following things are undeniable:
    • Bottom half Premiership teams with any threat of relegation actively punt the third round of the cup
    • League One / League Two teams don't sell out their stadiums against Prem opponents in the early rounds in the ways of decades past

Wigan winning the trophy and a non league team making the Quarter Finals were everything the competition might have wanted to recapture imagination, but the reality is that competing in the upper echelons of the Premier League / gaining promotions / competing for the European Cup "feel" way more important and vital to fans. And no attempts by media can stem that tide.

I would agree that this is a shame, as the FA Cup is still a great concept with eons of tradition and history behind it. But it is what it is: the big sponsorship / big money / big promotion did work. The incentives changed.

(This is why a European superleague concept would succeed ultimately, but I digress).

People can write / say what they like but if you ask me what feels better and what has more value:

- winning an FA Cup Final
    - losing a European Cup Final

There is genuinely no comparison. There was a concerted effort from our enemies after last May to try and focus in on the 'another final lost' and 'another year without trophies' but it was pure wanting. Getting down to the wire in the big two makes you relevant. Obviously we need to win one at a certain point, but you need to compete first.

If we were to finish second in the PL and go deep in the CL yet again then, as much as we would be disappointed at the games / moments that cost us in both, the overall progress and trajectory of the club would be undeniable. Klopp comes from a tradition of winter breaks, and he has consistently rotated for the early rounds of the cup coming as they do in the midst of a packed domestic league schedule. Facing Everton last year forced his hand somewhat, but when we were walking out to face Real in the biggest club match in the world were anyone of us thinking about the hiccup at home to West Brom? Were we ****.

Don't let those looking to take us down a peg or two to assuage their own suffering set our narrative. Or, to put it another way, talk to Arsenal fans or read through their threads on here from years past. Winning a couple of FA Cups didn't make them feel any better about losing the platform to challenge for the League and European Cup. Because that's what matters, believe me.

I'd much rather win an fá Cup then lose a cl final any day of the wk, completely pointless getting to any final if you don't win it, for me last seasons cl is wiped from memory as was 2007

• Advertisement

I Wonder if keita could be klopps biggest mistake so far, and to think we waited a season for him, I hope I'm wrong obviously but he looks a poor signing so far

Don't you know your not allowed bring that up here ,

IV been saying for ages iv been very worried that he has shown nothing of what he seemed to have in Germany and iv been told iv an "AGENDA" , I'm a fan I want him to do well and only saying what I see,

As I said the previous 3 games he didn't feature at all and wasn't missed which is not a good sign at all,

Seems to be totally shot of confidence ,

He's been the same as Fred over at Old Trafford just hasn't worked out at all yet

I'd much rather win an fup then lose a cl final any day of the wk, completely pointless getting to any final if you don't win it, for me last seasons cl is wiped from memory as was 2007

You're entitled to your opinion - it's a minority one.

I'd much rather win an fá Cup then lose a cl final any day of the wk, completely pointless getting to any final if you don't win it, for me last seasons cl is wiped from memory as was 2007

It depends really,

For instance last year we hadn't been in Champions league in a while and then got to the final last year, Its ups the profile of the club in Europe and makes it a preferred destination for players out side of England,

But if your competing in it year in year out doing well then yes i'd prefer an Fa Cup win than losing a final ,

The journey to the Champions League final was glorious. Beating Plymouth in the early rounds of the FA cup, not so much. You can win the FA cup simply by being lucky in the draw and playing one or two decent games.

It's all a matter of opinion. I understand the sentiment but the FA cup , Caribou Cup and Europa League can all feck off as far as I'm concerned. Winning them is great but if not going out early is the next best thing.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    The journey to the Champions League final was glorious. Beating Plymouth in the early rounds of the FA cup, not so much. You can win the FA cup simply by being lucky in the draw and playing one or two decent games.

It's all a matter of opinion. I understand the sentiment but the FA cup , Caribou Cup and Europa League can all feck off as far as I'm concerned. Winning them is great but if not going out early is the next best thing.

Don't know about that, We need to in something at this stage we need to breed winners, City, Chelsea,Arsenal , United will try win it , why are we above it ?

We get a break now but its before we play Leicester who also have a break so is it any advantage not being in it ?

Is VVD injured , just seen the below from Jurgen after the game last night ?

Virg cannot play; he is at home and hopefully it is nothing but he has played all the games so far.”.”

Say he just rested him.

Will have a nice rest now in the following

From 19th Jan to 30th Jan.
    From 9th Feb to 19th Feb.

Then on St Patrick's weekend they will play a league game that would have had to been arranged if they went on a Cup run, now just waiting to see how far Southampton go to see if the game on April 6th is rearranged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

An FA Cup win 'makes' or 'saves' a lot of clubs seasons.... except the Top 6. If any of those clubs win the FA Cup but fail to make top 4 in the league you can bet the money-men at those clubs will not be saying "no CL this season, but we've got a few bob from the FA Cup so it's grand".

For a club to grow and become massive, champions league qualification and success in that competition is number one. Since Real Madrid won the league in 2012, they have won the CL 4 times and only won La Liga once - that shows how focus has shifted... and even in the past Madrid were always regarded as a "European Cup" team - but, of course, in the past you had to win your league to qualify for it. These days you don't (top 4 will do!) so even winning the league in Spain is less of an achievement for the Big 2 than in seasons past.

Without doubt Klopp knows that the league for Liverpool fans is the holy grail and his team last night highlighted that - we just don't have a squad to compete on 3 fronts especially considering our current defensive injuries.

Bit of a ramble there, but my point is that if you're a big club then it's all about either the league or the CL - national cups are just not important enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Is it just me or is Keita been played too far forward atm? I thought he should have been occupying the space Milner was in last night. I love Milner but he is not the man to be taking the ball from a Centre-Half. Keita on the half-turn would have been much better in the first half when we badly needed some kind of platform

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You're entitled to your opinion - it's a minority one.

I think your in depth post was spot on Lloyd - just one thing I'd add is that it's ironic that United fans will bang on about Klopp's lack of trophies yet their only recently former manager won them two cups in 3 years; something they ultimately dismissed as not relevant at all in possibly saving him.

• Advertisement

I think your in depth post was spot on Lloyd - just one thing I'd add is that it's ironic that United fans will bang on about Klopp's lack of trophies yet their only recently former manager won them two cups in 3 years; something they ultimately dismissed as not relevant at all in possibly saving him.

An excellent addition, but our enemies have never shied away from hypocrisy. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement