Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenovo Ideapad Z580 - Network Adapter

Options
  • 08-01-2019 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, anyone know if I can upgrade the wireless network adapter on a Lenovo Ideapad Z580? It's currently a Broadcom 802.11N Network Adapter so can't use dual band, the wireless is dirt on it compared to other laptops we have in the house even when they're side by side. Need to get something sorted asap as it's affecting when I need to work from home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Hi guys, anyone know if I can upgrade the wireless network adapter on a Lenovo Ideapad Z580? It's currently a Broadcom 802.11N Network Adapter so can't use dual band, the wireless is dirt on it compared to other laptops we have in the house even when they're side by side. Need to get something sorted asap as it's affecting when I need to work from home.

From the looks at the manual, you can replace the wireless adapter. It seems to be a standard 1070 PCI Express Mini Card.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

FanadMan wrote: »
    From the looks at the manual, you can replace the wireless adapter. It seems to be a standard 1070 PCI Express Mini Card.

Lovely!

Next question - which do I buy? Computer hardware not my forte... I work in the IT software side of things :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

By the looks of it short answer is no, you wont be able to get dual band on it.
    IdeaPad Z580: Can I upgrade the mini wifi card

By the looks of it short answer is no, you wont be able to get dual band on it.
    IdeaPad Z580: Can I upgrade the mini wifi card

Sh1te.... any alternative options? Would a USB WiFi Adapter be any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

A USB wireless dongle should do what you need

https://www.lifewire.com/top-wi-fi-usb-adapters-2377825

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Providing there is USB3 port available on your device, you might benefit

Yup a USB3 - will invest. Cheers guys.

Advertisement