Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for new rolle after only 3 months

Options
  • 08-01-2019 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going anonymous for this as I'm overly paranoid about being recognised.

I work for large Irish company (several thousand). I recently changed roles after applying for a number of jobs in separate areas as I was keen to get out of the area I was in.
    Anyway,the new role is okay and I'm gaining experience however another role in a separate area has come up and I am wondering is it too soon for me to apply to this other job. It would be more money and even more relevant to my qualifications.
    The thing is, I might ot get it and I have to inform my line manager when applying for other jobs within the company.
    My concern is that it could sully my relationship with my manager.
    I am also doing a fairly intensive course at night which will further enhance my marketability.
    Is it too soon to leave a role I've only been in a few months? Does it look bad?
    Part of me thinks I should wait and another opportunity will arise but another part of me thinks feck it, it's more money, more relevant and you need to take chances to advance your career.
    I'd appreciate any advice you can offer. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

If the new role is really where you want to be I would apply. I would let your current manager know do your intentions, imo a decent manager should be very understanding in respect to this given it is what you would prefer to do and more relevant.

One way to look at is your only there a short while and you might not be fully trained up whereas if you stayed 12 months and this role came up and you left it might be more of an impact as you're more valuable to your current team. I am only guessing here you know if this is the case yourself.

Also you mention waiting but what if this role never comes up again. A downturn in the economy could impact this.

Have you spoken to a friend or family member about this? They may be able to answer better as they know where and what you work as exactly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Also new hiring manager may see you as a serial job hopper and decide your aren't worth the risk/hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 14,731 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Make sure company policy actually allow you to change role again so quickly. Some companies (experience in Corp Finance), make it 6 months min after changing role.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I agree with the above poster, that you should find out the company policy on this first.

To answer your question, it does look bad.

My feeling on this is stay in the current role for a while longer (e.g. 1 year) and wait for a position to come up in that other department again.

Part of me does feel "nothing ventured nothing gained" but I think it's quite likely the company will say no and you will seem a bit flakey.

Is there a trusted manager in the company you could ask for advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

I would have thought it also depends on the value OP brings to the table: if he's in it just to gain experience, maybe that is not much. But if OP would be better value for the business in a different role, usual rules don't apply.
    As a general recommendation though - 3 months is too early..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the opinions. I appreciate the feedback. I've decided to stay in the role I'm in for another while, I'll give it a year anyway. I just don't think my manager is the understanding magnanimous type. Most managers aren't in my experience.

PS:
    Can anyone correct my spelling error in the thread title? It's annoying me every time I look a it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Mr.S wrote: »
    You could also just leave off your current job from your CV and say you're focusing on studying.

doesn't really apply if OP is applying for a new role within same company.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for all the replies and useful advice. I;ve decided to bide my time and stay in the role.
    I just don't think my manager is the magnanimous type, they rarely are!
    Another opportunity will come and I'll be better prepared for it with more experience.
    Thanks again

Advertisement