Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming

Options
  • 08-01-2019 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

I'd like to take my 4 month old to swimming. Is that too soon?

Anyone that has taken a baby swimming have any advice, what would you do differently, what would you buy/not buy?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭oLoonatic

Its not too soon, but it is recommended to go to a pool that is heated to 32 degree Celsius. We brought both our boys to water babies, we found that while they were enjoyable they are quite expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

I am a huge advocate for learning to swim and it's a non negotiable hobby for both my children. However I will say that I brought my 1st child to waterbabies when she was a few months old but didn't bother after the first term. It's very expensive and a huge faff with not a whole lot of benefit. My daughter swims like a fish now at 6 but I would recommend bringing children informally to a pool and getting in with them and having fun (works great to familiarise them with being in the water) and then starting formal lessons around 4 years old.

In short, no harm at all with swimming at such a young age if the pool is warm enough but waterbabies is expensive and not necessarily any benefit when it comes to learning to swim later on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

We also did water babies when my twins were about five months. It was enjoyable but we gave up due to the cost. I have returned to waterbabies now with one boy as we were recommended to bring him swimming. He has just turned two. Some of the babies who were in that first class with us are still going and they can swim underwater and are very confident. I don’t send my boy underwater as he would have lost the skill in the meantime. He absolutely loves the class though.

You could go on your own but I don’t think we would go regularly unless signed up to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

We started when our daughter was four months and both she and I found it too overwhelming. We did Swim Stars and the lessons are very full on, different activities and songs etc, I think she got overstimulated.

We then found a more relaxed pool and just go there (no fixed course) and now that she's seven months she's doing great with it. If you're in Dublin check out Marion College, that's where we go and it suits us much better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

As above, I’d say just bring baby yourself if possible. I brought my eldest lad to water babies for a few terms, but it’s SO expensive. It’s enjoyable, but was of little benefit when he started actual swimming lessons when he was 4. He was very happy in the water, but I think he’d have been the same way just by me bringing him.

Just consider the logistics when you’re going- make sure the changing room can safely accommodate your car seat or buggy so that you have somewhere to put baby when you’re getting changed. Also make sure you have a towel that will comfortably stay on you while you change baby so you’re not freezing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭margo321

at that age theyre starving afterwards. wrap them up to keep them warm afterwards and have a bottle ready. I took mine through Cuidu. not lessons but warm pool for members only.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I can’t wait to take my LO swimming when I find a pool warm enough, she adores the bath.

If you can’t find a pool that suits the bath at home is fine. The most important thing is to get them used to having their faces wet. So many people go out of their way to keep children from getting any water in their faces and it makes learning to swim later much harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Brought 2 of mine when they were about 8 weeks old, bring a nice soft towel out to the pool area with you. Don't stay in the water to long, relax and have fun x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I started my girl swimming lessons when she was about 8 months old. One of the biggest things for me was the confidence it gave me with her in the water. But she absolutely loves going into the pool now and has no fear what so ever.

I'd also have a good look into what type of lessons are on in your area, they are very hit and miss. In my area there are 'lessons' in some of the local pools, but they are essentially sing and swim sessions. The class we go to is as close (in my opinion) as you can get to proper 'swimming lessons' for babies and toddlers. My girl is now 2.5yrs old and all her classes are centred around water confidence (jumping in/head under water) and the very basics of legs and arms. Ill be starting no2. in September when they are 4/5mths old.

Edit: buggies/car seats are a pain in the ass to work around in the changing areas. Please be mindful of other classes going in and out before/after you (at least at the class we go to they are left every which way and you can't get into the bench/lockers without falling over them). We were given a bumbo seat when my girl was born. The only time it was used was when we went swimming, it's so handy to pop them into it when they are strong enough to sit up, and obviously under supervision, but it also fit into the locker perfectly and was in no one's way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

I've been bringing my little girl swimming every Tuesday from six months (she's now 18 months) in the National Aquatic Centre. There's a little bit of sing along time with keys parts of the songs used for splashing and jumping etc. Then it's bringing them over and back on their front and back encourging to kick and blow bubbles etc. They also use a pool noodle and you take them down the lazy river on it, stop off to do jumps in and out of the pool before finishing up.

First set of lessons I was the only Dad there, but now there's a good mix of mums and dad's.

They have an online portal that you log into and the swimming teacher logs their progress. It's a swim academy so once they are old enough and have the skills they move up to the next set of lessons etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Wish I had seen this thread 4 years ago as it would have saved me a pile of cash. We brought our first to water babies too. It was enjoyable and all but I saw very little benefit.
    The lessons we are doing now are great. They recommend 3 as a starting age. Our second is doing her first lesson today :)

Advice - save your money, introduce baby to pool yourself over time and start lessons in a couple of years.

Advertisement