Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids Smart Watch

Options
  • 08-01-2019 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Apologies if this question has been asked already but I could not find it. Is anyone aware of a kids smart-watch on the market which allows parents to track and contact their kids, that also allows the option for the child to use it as a GPS running watch? I’m aware of plenty of watches that count the number of steps, but don’t measure distance.

Any help on this would be great!

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It'll need to be connected to a phone. So just look into getting a phone.

I'd personally be weary of giving a kid anything hi-tech. As it makes them a very easy target for mugging.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

It'll need to be connected to a phone. So just look into getting a phone.

I'd personally be weary of giving a kid anything hi-tech. As it makes them a very easy target for mugging.

He won't be getting a phone, and there are lots of watches on the market that do not need to be connected to a phone. Agree about the mugging issue, so don't want to be spending a small fortune.

Other recommendations welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

https://www.pigsback.com/en-ie/offer/410552/ty-direct

What about something like that? I'm some time away from needing similar but would be curious to see what people use themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ESMITH29

PGL wrote: »
    He won't be getting a phone, and there are lots of watches on the market that do not need to be connected to a phone. Agree about the mugging issue, so don't want to be spending a small fortune.

Other recommendations welcome!

It'll need to be connected to a phone or have a SIM reader in order to communicate the data back to you. The watch cannot do this without the use of an internet connection, which is where the phone or SIM comes into play.

The watch sends the location data to the phone and the phone then transmits that to you.

How old is the child, it may make it easier to look into things for you.

ESMITH29 wrote: »
    It'll need to be connected to a phone or have a SIM reader in order to communicate the data back to you. The watch cannot do this without the use of an internet connection, which is where the phone or SIM comes into play.

The watch sends the location data to the phone and the phone then transmits that to you.

How old is the child, it may make it easier to look into things for you.

I'm aware of the need for a SIM card. My son is 9 years old. Thanks

• Advertisement

https://www.pigsback.com/en-ie/offer/410552/ty-direct

What about something like that? I'm some time away from needing similar but would be curious to see what people use themselves.

thanks for response. this item seems to tick a lot of boxes, but there's no mention of it measuring distances, or even counting steps....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

The Vodafone Kids watch allows tracking, voice messages to you and any phones you approve.

It does not track steps.

It has a sim card (no phone connection needed), and the plan costs 3 euro per month.

They were half price before xmas (65.00) and not bad value, if that's what your are looking for.

3DataModem wrote: »
    The Vodafone Kids watch allows tracking, voice messages to you and any phones you approve.

It does not track steps.

It has a sim card (no phone connection needed), and the plan costs 3 euro per month.

They were half price before xmas (65.00) and not bad value, if that's what your are looking for.

thanks for your response. again this seems to tick a lot of boxes, but unfortunately does not count steps or measure distance

Just to clarify, I need the watch to measure distance as he wants to use it for his Parkruns each weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

PGL wrote: »
    Just to clarify, I need the watch to measure distance as he wants to use it for his Parkruns each weekend

I think you're looking for something which at the moment doesn't appear to exist. Plenty of adult orientated watches will do that but they aren't designed for kids and are a lot more expensive.

• Advertisement

I think you're looking for something which at the moment doesn't appear to exist. Plenty of adult orientated watches will do that but they aren't designed for kids and are a lot more expensive.

You could be right, but if its possible for a parent to remotely track the whereabouts of their child, then its technically possible to measure distances on the watch. I won't give up hope just yet, so any other suggestions are welcome!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Could you lend him a fitbit or old phone with appropriate app or something just for the parkruns to start?

shesty wrote: »
    Could you lend him a fitbit or old phone with appropriate app or something just for the parkruns to start?

It's his birthday and he would like a new smart watch. I do not want to give him a phone (even for limited use as you suggest) at this early stage, as he has enough exposure to screens already!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If he's registered with parkruns, don't they track his times?

It seems to me you are expecting too much of technology and getting carried away by what a child wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ancapallliath

is the Doki Watch available here? I think this is the kind of thing you are looking for OP

If he's registered with parkruns, don't they track his times?

Yes, but when he's doing other training runs, he has no means of tracking his progress.
    It seems to me you are expecting too much of technology and getting carried away by what a child wants.

I disagree with you on the technology comment, and I do not bow to the demands of my children!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ESMITH29

Maybe just get him a watch that does what he wants and doesn't allow you to track him so. You may grow accustomed to having a constant update of your son's location and this may be difficult to let go of, when he's too old for that carry on, which isn't far down the line considering he's 9.

ESMITH29 wrote: »
    Maybe just get him a watch that does what he wants and doesn't allow you to track him so. You may grow accustomed to having a constant update of your son's location and this may be difficult to let go of, when he's too old for that carry on, which isn't far down the line considering he's 9.

I agree that it's not very healthy to be tracking every move your child makes. My main priority is to get a relatively cheap watch that he can use for running - if it has a few other features that would be a bonus

is the Doki Watch available here? I think this is the kind of thing you are looking for OP

I don't know if its available here, but it can't be used for running.

Advertisement