Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Games to Watch Others Play

Options
  • 08-01-2019 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Hi Guys, I'm just wondering what games lend themselves well to letsplays and walkthroughs on youtube? I was thinking of Walking simulators and such, but open to ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Personally, none for me.

It must be a younger generation thing but my nephew, whos 10, will watch people plays games on Youtube more than he actually plays them himself.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Personally, none for me.

It must be a younger generation thing but my nephew, whos 10, will watch people plays games on Youtube more than he actually plays them himself.

Reminds me of this episode :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I watch competitive games of games I like - have watched many hundred hours of StarCraft 2 tournaments, but if I was to try and play the game, I'd barely get out of Bronze league :D I also watch lets plays of strategy games I play - the likes of Civ or XCom and so on - usually for tips and ideas from people with much more experience in this type of game than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I watch a lot of fps stuff trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I watch alot of Twitch and Mixer for tournaments but not really youtube pre-recorded stuff. Unless I am stuck and trying to unlock an achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not quite watching other people play buy saltybet.com is a great way to waste 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd watch the odd speedrun every now and again, so as to see the skill and planning involved, glitch exploits etc, and I watched a good few of the Overwatch League highlights, but I'd very rarely just watch a video of a game being played normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I like watching PUBG, just to get an idea how other people play (spoiler alert: better than me) , but you do learn valuable tips and tactics from watching.

Also, Rainbow 6 Siege is also a fantastic spectator game, as the different tactics that are used between the attackers and defenders are crazy, not to mention the things you see like making holes in walls you'd never have thought of to gain lines of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

A friend convinced me to buy PUBG as PSN is doing a special at the moment. I got it, haven't played it yet but the only videos I've seen is people raging and throwing controllers at walls. I'm not a fan of BR but my only experience is fortnite.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

gimli2112 wrote: »
    A friend convinced me to buy PUBG as PSN is doing a special at the moment. I got it, haven't played it yet but the only videos I've seen is people raging and throwing controllers at walls. I'm not a fan of BR but my only experience is fortnite.

Check out King Plays and The Average Sniper on youtube,they do streams and tips videos.. the streamers you caught are obviously just Sh*te.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I used to watch Fortnite and PUBG on Twitch.

I'm enjoying AGDQ this week (I watched a Hollow Knight true ending run last night which was incredible - under 90 minutes!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Metal Gear Solid, Hitman, Pokemon, JRPG or Strategy games

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I like watching people playing games with multiple choice options like the Telltale games or Detroit Become Human. You get to see how it all unfolds and if some poor choices are made it doesn't sting quite so much since it's not you involved! There's a Youtuber called theRadBrad who I discovered from his playthroughs of The Walking Dead who I'd recommend.

Also there's an Irish Youtuber 'CallMeKevin' whose videos I check out from time to time as I find him funny. Seems he's gotten quite popular the last year. He does a bunch of games most of which I wouldn't know, but he makes me laugh so I watch along. Here's one he did for Army Gmod RP:

One of the best things I ever watched on youtube was DraQu's Doom Ultra Nightmare run from start to finish in 5 hours.

This guy is just unbelievable, his reflexes and his aim is scary good. He speed runs and plays alot of the best FPS games.

I loved the new Doom and this guy made Ultra Nightmare look like a walk in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I don't really bother watching others play, but recently was feeling nostalgic with old games... came across Game Grumps playing King's Quest 6. Can be somewhat entertaining to listen to their jokes while watching them play. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Same as, I don't get the whole watching people play. I barely have enough time to play what I want, let alone watch others, and I'm a single male with no dependencies, so all the spare time in the world. I don't understand it either, especially those who watch story game playthroughs. I'd rather experience it myself. Granted, I wouldn't mind knowing the story behind the Dark Souls and Bloodborne games, they look like they have good lore, but I'll never know as I don't have the patience to play through them, so I'll never know!

Like, I could watch it tonight if I really wanted, but I'm stuck into Odyssey, BlOps 4, The Crew 2, PSVR games and some indie games i'm popping in and out of, it just doesn't make sense I'd waste time watching someone play rather than playing. I dunno. My nephews love watching YouTube playthroughs. As said above by someone, must be a younger generation thing (I'm 35).

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Same as, I don't get the whole watching people play. I barely have enough time to play what I want, let alone watch others, and I'm a single male with no dependencies, so all the spare time in the world. I don't understand it either, especially those who watch story game playthroughs. I'd rather experience it myself. Granted, I wouldn't mind knowing the story behind the Dark Souls and Bloodborne games, they look like they have good lore, but I'll never know as I don't have the patience to play through them, so I'll never know!

Like, I could watch it tonight if I really wanted, but I'm stuck into Odyssey, BlOps 4, The Crew 2, PSVR games and some indie games i'm popping in and out of, it just doesn't make sense I'd waste time watching someone play rather than playing. I dunno. My nephews love watching YouTube playthroughs. As said above by someone, must be a younger generation thing (I'm 35).

See, I think you have to like the the player you're watching play the game.

It's a bit like the whole Gogglebox thing. When that first came out a lot of people were mystified why people would watch other people watching TV. But it worked because people became fond of the personalities on the show and enjoyed their reactions.

Similarly, if you like the personality of the gamer you're watching you can get enjoyment out of how they respond to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Ah i had that mind set a few years ago, couldnt for the life of me understand twitch. But over time i found myself on it more..

You can learn a lot from it, like say you start playing a multiplayer game, you can easily find a channel where the player is really good, and watching them for a few minutes, you can learn a lot and get much better at said game, quicker than the old trial and error method.

And then theres streamers who are just interesting to watch play a game, like to touch off what you've said above regarding Dark souls and bloodborne. I've actually played the games to death, but the lore is buried deep, you get it in drips and drabs from items and hard to find NPC's. So ive watched a few streamers play said games at a slower pace focusing on the lore.

Then you have other entertaining streamers, like the speed runners who try and finish the games in as quick as time as possible. It might sound boring, but these guys have to get so good at the game, and they get so good that watching them is mind blowing. If you think Dark souls is hard, just watch some people speed running it, they make it look like a stroll in the park.

Now I'm not one to sit for hours and watch someone streaming, i treat it like TV, id flick it on and have it on in the back ground while i work, or i might watch it while playing a game (not all games, anything heavy on the story or intense multiplayer and it goes off)

And also, you can find plenty of Dark souls/Bloodborne lore videos on youtube, so you can watch at your own pace if yer interested. This chap does all the lore, you dont even need to watch the videos alot of the time, i learned the majority of bloodborne and dark souls lore in depth listening to him while i worked in my old job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Do you have a family/kids?

I’m a similar age and despite wanting to play games more I find watching them is closest I can get these days. That is mostly due to having my own kids now, and not just being one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

quarryman wrote: »
    Do you have a family/kids?

I’m a similar age and despite wanting to play games more I find watching them is closest I can get these days. That is mostly due to having my own kids now, and not just being one :)

I don't, and I never intend on having them. Due to circumstances, I'm living at home with the parents again (lived in a different county for 9 years, good job, mortgage, etc, all came crumbling down). But it suits me right now, help them with jobs they can't do anymore (mostly cleaning), I stay mostly to myself so they can have their time to themselves (they admit sometimes it's like i'm not living there).

I never wanted kids, and that feeling is only getting stronger as I get older (35 now). I have a good few reasons, but the main one is having little to no time to yourself once you have kids, and I'm not willing to do that. Plus, it's better to regret not having kids than to regret having them!

I do understand more now why people watching streamers, Let's Play, etc. Still not for me though!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

ZiabR wrote: »
    One of the best things I ever watched on youtube was DraQu's Doom Ultra Nightmare run from start to finish in 5 hours.

This guy is just unbelievable, his reflexes and his aim is scary good. He speed runs and plays alot of the best FPS games.

I loved the new Doom and this guy made Ultra Nightmare look like a walk in the park.

You owe me an hour and a half of my life. Couldn't take my eyes off it. His commentary makes it seem like he's hardly paying attention too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 kevin55

In my opinion Its always better to play games instead of watching other games gameplay on youtube, but still you want to! I would recommend watch The new upcoming games gameplay on IGN and other gaming channels as you can know whats new coming and the new games graphics always look better than the previous games! That's why personally I do watch new games gameplay mostly.

I've been watching Wilsonater play rust recently.
    I used to play rust when it came out but I dont have the time for it now.
    Sticking on a video for ten mins I can watch massive raids etc etc without all the "farming" that goes along with it.

You owe me an hour and a half of my life. Couldn't take my eyes off it. His commentary makes it seem like he's hardly paying attention too.

I know... you do get the impression he is not even trying alright...

To those that don't know, Ultra Nightmare means there are no checkpoints, no saves and no try again. You die during your run and its game over...

Love the way Doom shows you a little icon on the map to signify where someone died on their Ultra Nightmare run.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm not the type to be interested in internet personalities or any of that guff, but a few years ago I chanced upon a youtube video of a match in "Company of Heroes". Two players against each other in a game with a commentator calling the action as it happened, it was actually very entertaining and honestly no different to watching a football match.

Those are the types of videos I can watch, I would have no interest in somebody playing a single player game, with all the fake reactions or forced chatter in the downtime. But two people or teams competing in a balanced game with a good commentator, I can think of a lot worse things to waste my time on.

Not watching anything at the minute but a few months ago I watched a glut of Zelda LTTP randomiser tournaments, something about not knowing what is going to be in the next chest is strangely addictive...

Advertisement