Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to plant a tree but clueless.

Options
  • 08-01-2019 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

As the title suggest I'm a gardening dummy. My new home has small to medium sized garden. It has been well loved in the past and I hope to educate myself on gardening in the coming years. As the new owner I'd like to plant a tree and watch it grow over the years. Knowing nothing about trees...what tree do you suggest? (there are plenty of ferns already in the garden).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What ultimate height and spread are you looking for?

Evergreen or deciduous? Flowers? Fruit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Whatever you choose think about how large it'll be both in height and girth. Consider how much light it'll gobble up when in leaf and how this might rob your house of direct heat from the sun and what it might do to the lawn and anything else you intend to plant (think about whether it will have an effect on a neighbour) Also consider likely amount of leaf fall assuming it's a deciduous tree (and who'd want an evergreen really? ;)). Wonder if a single tree one it's own will look a bit wrong on your plot - companion planting of large shrubs can help in this regard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one of the benefits of going with a fruit tree is that they're grafted onto rootstock - i.e. it's a 'transplant' of the fruit tree onto the roots of another tree, which will control how big it gets, so you can get fruit trees that you know will grow to a certain size. this may help planning what you want for the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

good advice, thank you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you go down that route (root, see what i did there), any decent garden centre should be able to help with queries on rootstock size, but it should also be visible on the label on the tree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Rowan, or Mountain Ash, is a native tree that doesn't grow too big:
    Has scented flowers in Spring, pretty leaves in summer, and beautiful clusters of red berries in Autumn.

Also, it's supposed to be lucky to plant it near your house: it keeps evil spirits away and brings good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Rowan, or Mountain Ash, is a native tree that doesn't grow too big:
    Has scented flowers in Spring, pretty leaves in summer, and beautiful clusters of red berries in Autumn.

Also, it's supposed to be lucky to plant it near your house: it keeps evil spirits away and brings good luck!

Is that a fairy tree!? You can't cut them down you know. :)

fairy trees are hawthorns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

The Royal Horticultural Society web page on this link list a number of trees that they suggest for a smaller garden. It might be difficult to find some of the varieties listed.

Advertisement