Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost for ducting for FTTH and recommended vendor?

• 08-01-2019 1:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi,

FTTH is finally available for me, but I don't want an overhead install as where the KN Network guy was going to install it would come into my house at only 7 feet off the ground.

The wall of my house is only 15m from the pole, so looking to get someone to install undergorund ducting for me (no ducting exists). I am finding it very hard to get this done though, I have had people take a look who will do the digging, but have no experience of laying ducting, so want to get someone to do this properly.

Has anyone had this done on their property? How much did it cost? Can anyone recommend anyone in the Kildare/Dublin area who can do this work for me?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

There is no magic to it.
    Dig a channel about 3.5 feet deep.
    Buy a length of ducting to suit. Put a 'pull rope' into the ducting - 6mm nylon rope is suitable.
    Place the ducting in the channel.
    When back filling, take all stones out of the initial few inches over the duct pipe to prevent any stones from breaking the pipe. You could get sand to do initial filling also, but not really necessary if the stones are removed from the initial layer.

Tamp down the top and fill it a bit higher than surrounding ground, to allow for settlement.

After a couple of months finish the surface.

A couple of labourers should be able to finish the job easily after the channel is opened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

I did it myself over the last few months. Trench was around 60m in length dug by hand. you dont need to go down too deep. easy enough.

Hardest part was entry to the house, where I had to angle grind a small channel through the concrete plinth that goes around the house. This is so the duct gets to the wall. awaiting install from KN now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

stooge wrote: »
    I did it myself over the last few months. Trench was around 60m in length dug by hand. you dont need to go down too deep. easy enough.

Hardest part was entry to the house, where I had to angle grind a small channel through the concrete plinth that goes around the house. This is so the duct gets to the wall. awaiting install from KN now

Thanks. Where did you buy the ducting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

You can get ducting in most builders providers. Just tell them what you are doing. Get black ducting. Red is used for electrical cable.

Be sure that there is nothing underneath like electrical cable or sewer system that you can dig into.

If I was you I would see if it’s possible to route the cable in such a way to prevent an intruder cutting the cable. That might not be possible to do if it’s coming off a pole. Reason: future integration of security system and ethernet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

NB make sure the ducting is good and thick ie not easy to crush or perish. I used the red stuff and its mighty.

• Advertisement

There are ducting sizes specified for the job (posted earlier in thread) so be sure you get at least the minimum sized ducting ..... and if it necessarily has bends be sure to use 'hockey stick' bends to ensure easy movement around the bend.
    A pull rope through it can be advantageous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

sorry for delay, yeah builders providers as previously mentioned. 1/2 inch is probably too small so go 3/4 inch. If there is any traffic over it, make sure its heavy gauge and buried >foot deep with proper base. Otherwise if no traffic (E.g. under garden) normal gaage might be ok and just make sure there are no major stones impacting ont he pipe.

Fibre installed today, no issues. Well happy and the KN engineer was really sound.

Is not minimum size something like 38mm for short distances?
    I don't have it to hand but it should be done to spec IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Hi,

FTTH is finally available for me, but I don't want an overhead install as where the KN Network guy was going to install it would come into my house at only 7 feet off the ground.

The wall of my house is only 15m from the pole, so looking to get someone to install undergorund ducting for me (no ducting exists). I am finding it very hard to get this done though, I have had people take a look who will do the digging, but have no experience of laying ducting, so want to get someone to do this properly.

Has anyone had this done on their property? How much did it cost? Can anyone recommend anyone in the Kildare/Dublin area who can do this work for me?

Thanks.

What length is from connection to your home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭Melodeon

As far as I've been led to believe, the network engineers won't even attempt to pull their cable through 1/2" or 3/4" hydrodare or the like.
    According to this. minimum recommended internal diameter is 32mm, with 50mm and 100mm required for long runs:
    Guidelines for Customers' when laying Ducting (Hydrodare) for Telecom Networks on their private property

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Policies and what FSTs will do on site are not always congruent but you may as well minimize potential problems.

Advertisement