Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keyboard choice

Options
  • 08-01-2019 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a new keyboard for my setup. Mechanical is good but not necessary, but if it is mechanical it can't be too loud. Specifically I'm looking for a keyboard without the number pad, but including the arrow keys and insert/delete/home/end/pgup/pgdown block.

I saw some sort of fitting the bill on Amazon but not clear what is actually good, is not too loud but also has an IE/UK layout.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I would recommend the HyperX Alloy FPS Pro Tenkeyless with Cherry Red keys.
    However, I don't know where you can get it with IE/UK layout. Mine is US, which is what I am accustomed to anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

That specific design is called TKL (Ten-Keyless).

The Corsair K65 fits the bill, but it's a little pricy: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Mechanical-Multicolour-Backlighting-Ten-Keyless/dp/B01FDEMDY8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1546972625&sr=8-6&keywords=mechanical%2Bkeyboard%2Btkl%2Buk%2Blayout%2Bred&th=1

When looking at mechanical switches, Cherry MX Red, Brown, Speed and Silent are all pretty quiet. Red, Speed and Silent are linear, no bump when key is pressed. Brown as a slight bump when the key activates (mechanical keys don't need to bottom out to activate).

Logitech Romer-G keys are strange to me, but are pretty quiet. Razer uses Cherry MX clones, but they are a specifically made clone for razer (using these myself, and apparently they have improved a fair bit in newer switches). A lot of the cheap mechanical keyboards use clones, which isn't a bad thing tbh. If you are on a strict budget, they can work out quite well.

If you wanna take a slight risk, scan.co.uk have a shipment of refurbs coming in: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsair-gaming-k65-lux-rgb-rgb-back-lit-cherry-mx-red-mechanical-keyboard-tkl-wired-usb-factory-refu

Just don't get Blue switches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

You can get o-rings to dampen mechanical switches. Never used them myself, but somebody here might give you some feedback on them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Xenoronin wrote: »
    That specific design is called TKL (Ten-Keyless).

The Corsair K65 fits the bill, but it's a little pricy: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Mechanical-Multicolour-Backlighting-Ten-Keyless/dp/B01FDEMDY8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1546972625&sr=8-6&keywords=mechanical%2Bkeyboard%2Btkl%2Buk%2Blayout%2Bred&th=1

When looking at mechanical switches, Cherry MX Red, Brown, Speed and Silent are all pretty quiet. Red, Speed and Silent are linear, no bump when key is pressed. Brown as a slight bump when the key activates (mechanical keys don't need to bottom out to activate).

Logitech Romer-G keys are strange to me, but are pretty quiet. Razer uses Cherry MX clones, but they are a specifically made clone for razer (using these myself, and apparently they have improved a fair bit in newer switches). A lot of the cheap mechanical keyboards use clones, which isn't a bad thing tbh. If you are on a strict budget, they can work out quite well.

If you wanna take a slight risk, scan.co.uk have a shipment of refurbs coming in: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsair-gaming-k65-lux-rgb-rgb-back-lit-cherry-mx-red-mechanical-keyboard-tkl-wired-usb-factory-refu

Thanks, I've gone with the K65 speed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Just don't get Blue switches.

Or Black switches!

TBH those rubber rings don't do much to dampen the noise.

Personal k/b is a Keycool 84 mini with Cherry MX Reds - relatively quiet & super compact.

The CoolerMaster MasterKeys S has good reviews IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Personal k/b is a Keycool 84 mini with Cherry MX Reds - relatively quiet & super compact.

JEALOUS

The new Cooler Master Low profile keyboards coming out soon look quite tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ThrowBag

I've got a Corsair K65, and people always complain about the fact that I'm really mashy with my key strokes.
    Even with the gromits on it makes little difference.

But as a keyboard its great. leaves more room for mouse and I don't do accounts o a num pad isnt really that appealing.

ThrowBag wrote: »
    I've got a Corsair K65, and people always complain about the fact that I'm really mashy with my key strokes.
    Even with the gromits on it makes little difference.

But as a keyboard its great. leaves more room for mouse and I don't do accounts o a num pad isnt really that appealing.

I've one too. Savage little keyboard.

• Advertisement

I got the K65 yesterday (speed switches) and I'm very happy with it. Feels great and isn't too loud at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

how is the font on the k65? it looks a bit garish in photos of it which is making me lean towards a Logitech g513, but that's a full size without media keys

finding it difficult to find a TKL with media keys that aesthetically works for me

BArra wrote: »
    how is the font on the k65? it looks a bit garish in photos of it which is making me lean towards a Logitech g513, but that's a full size without media keys

finding it difficult to find a TKL with media keys that aesthetically works for me

They are a bit "gamery" but nice and big. I have the white double shot keycaps on mine and they are so satisfying to type on.

Had one of those G513's before and i hated the "ping" type sound when you bottom out the Romer G switches. Got on my nerves so i sold it.

High resolution photo attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

that K65 looks so good have it stored in my amazon wish list. I've had the Vengeance K60 for 4 years or so now and it still works like a charm. It has even survived 3 beer baths but was back in working order after a night in the hotpress! So I've been convinced to stick with corsair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

I'm a big fan of the Logitech G Pro. I don't find the keys squishy, and I actually prefer them to cherry mx reds for typing. It's bigger brother the G810 has media keys and a nice volume scroll wheel too.

I prefer the lighting which is a lot more subtle than the Corsair as it only shines through the letters on the key cap.

I went for the g513 with linear keys, tested out the tactile version in person and felt that it was quieter than equivalent mx keys, reviews show the linear is a little bit quieter than tactile, also comes with a wrist rest.

Preferred the RGB not bleeding under the keys like on the corsair, more minimalist, and a normal font compared to the corsair, can inverse some F keys so that they act as media keys

Will see how it is when arrives and return if needed

I went for the g513 with linear keys, tested out the tactile version in person and felt that it was quieter than equivalent mx keys, reviews show the linear is a little bit quieter than tactile, also comes with a wrist rest.

Preferred the RGB not bleeding under the keys like on the corsair, more minimalist, and a normal font compared to the corsair, can inverse some F keys so that they act as media keys

Will see how it is when arrives and return if needed

Nice! Would be interested to hear how those switches work out!

will let you know, due for delivery by 23rd, amazon are being a bit slow

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

I'm not a big fan at all of Corsair or Logitech. Had a strafe (looking to get rid) and the quality of the keycaps was awful. I've got a Vortex Race 3 at work and I'm going to build a new board for at home.

• Advertisement

Have you built one before? I'm always checking out custom built keyboards but it just seems so expensive to actually build one

kevovek wrote: »
    Have you built one before? I'm always checking out custom built keyboards but it just seems so expensive to actually build one
    No, this will be the first. I'm building a 60% though, so no function row, ten key pad etc. What would your budget be? I've gotten 80 switches for €20, a PCB and thick aluminium case for €80, keycaps for €30. Once I get a soldering kit I'll be good to go. Prob 150 all in, and I can decide all the parts separately which suits me better.

I guess I could live with 150 for a self build, where do you get your parts?

kevovek wrote: »
    I guess I could live with 150 for a self build, where do you get your parts?
    KBDFans.cn or their store on Aliexpress. You can either buy the parts separately and build yourself or you can get them to build it for you. The guy that runs the store Wei, is great and really helpful.

There's a winter sale on Aliexpress atm and I got around 20 quid off a hotswap build this week.

got the g513 linear (Logitech) delivered today, very happy with the feel of the keys and premium materials, only issue is that there is a metallic spring sound if you hit a key hard, on the depress its the switch coming back up causing it off the metal frame I think, the louder you type on the key the worse it is, its faint but I notice it

I don't press too hard on the key/s so its quite minimal pending on how hard I type so I'm leaning towards keeping it as the keys feel great, very low sound compared to MX greens or similar

I have read reports of others commenting on the spring sound on the depress and how it was distracting, so that is something to note

Not sure if they tactile version is the same on that however

got the g513 linear (Logitech) delivered today, very happy with the feel of the keys and premium materials, only issue is that there is a metallic spring sound if you hit a key hard, on the depress its the switch coming back up causing it off the metal frame I think, the louder you type on the key the worse it is, its faint but I notice it

I don't press too hard on the key/s so its quite minimal pending on how hard I type so I'm leaning towards keeping it as the keys feel great, very low sound compared to MX greens or similar

I have read reports of others commenting on the spring sound on the depress and how it was distracting, so that is something to note

I mentioned that earlier in the thread. I sent it back because of it. A friend has the G Pro keyboard with tactile Romers and it also has that sound. Ugh I hated it. Haha

I have actually preordered a Ducky One2 Mini. Who knows when i'll get that as they are supposedly in high demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I've been eyeing up the Ducky One2 Mini too. That preorder on overclockers is mighty tempting. I do wonder how I'd handle the lack of num, arrows, and F keys... I really don't like the ANSI layout on my current board, the A and D keys have a habit of "sticking" internally, but the main reason for wanting a smaller board is a lack of desk space. Should be getting a proper desk in the coming months, so might hold off and see if a smaller board would still suit then.

The tactile one definitely has that. It's because it has a metal plate underneath I think. You are likely typing too hard and fully bottoming out the keys. Personally I absolutely hammer my keys when I am typing. And I love the tactile bump and sound of my g pro. Feels like a typewriter, like I'm getting work done!

• Advertisement

It's definitely the switch. The K65 has a metal backplate but the Cherry's don't have that 'ping' sound.

Advertisement