Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First bike for a child and corrrsponding adult one

Options
  • 08-01-2019 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for advice on what I should get for a kids bike. He’s going to be four at the end of January. I know absolutely nothing about cycling or bikes though I can cycle.

I’d also be interested in picking up something cheap and cheerful for me in the next couple of years. Not commuting or anything but just to go with them when he can go fast enough that I can’t run with him!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

You don't mention budget, but there's a degree of getting what you pay for. One of the more important thing with a kids bike is the weight of the bike relative to the child - the cheaper bikes from the likes of Smyths or Halfords can weigh more than half the weight of the child. To put it in perspective, imagine trying to pedal something in the 30-50kg range as an adult. The parts generally tend to be rubbish as well. I speak from personal experience - our eldest's first bike was a horrible chunk of pink pig-iron

If you can, aim for something starting around €200-250. It seems like a lot of money for a kids bike, but there're a few things to take the sting out: 1) if there younger siblings (actual or aspirational) a decent bike that's taken care off (kept inside, not treated roughly - within reason as it is a kids bike) can be passed on 2) when outgrown, they can be sold on for a fair chunk of the original price.

As to bikes; Islabike (only available online) are the gold standard; more expensive than most (all?) but top quality and hold value really well (it's not unusual for bikes to be sold on Done Deal within hours at about 60% of full price). Ours have mostly had Frog bikes, which are great quality as well - cheaper than Isla. Cuda are supposed to be good as well, but I've no experience.

As for yourself, if it's just casual maybe look at picking something up second-hand? If you want to buy new however, there're a bunch of threads on here asking the question at various price points

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jayjbe

Good advice from JM. Also check Halfords. They have Wiggins Macon. This is a light quality bike for a reasonable price. Make sure to get 10% discount on anything you get there (AXA, groupscheme coupon, etc).

They'll also have a large range of bikes for you based on your budget. But as mentioned secondhand/donedeal would be best option for your first ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

For a first bike aged 4 I would look to pick something up on adverts.

Far better to get a second hand Puky, Cuda or Frog than get some crummy Bob the Builder effort.

Isla for a four year old imho is just too dear. When they are 6 or 7 maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Isla for a four year old imho is just too dear. When they are 6 or 7 maybe.
    Depends on No 1 of kids ya have.
    If it is going to be a hand me down for next in line or cousins etc.... then its worth buying. If they master cycling at a young age it will be with them forever

JMcL is correct on the PIG-IRON ref. Some of those kids bikes in the toy shops are as heavy as a good adult bike.

Advertisement